The Humans and the Abettors

romamaro

There is only one difference between Earth and Iesvj - everyone has an animal companion that truly represents their souls, known as Abettors, and these animal companions all have some sort of power. For example, a mole Abettor may have powers over earth, or a polar bear Abettor may have powers over ice. If a person is separated from their Abettor, they become weak and sick, and may even die if separated for too long. Abettors can survive without their humans, but humans cannot survive without their Abettors.

So, when you wake up in a large holding cell with a few other people, Abettorless, you are understandably afraid.
You can remember clearly how you were taken. It was the first day of the Summer Holidays - the 28th June, 2014 - and you were out and about, alone, with your Abettor. Just for a second, you let your Abettor out of your sight. Normally, that's not too much of a big deal, but this time, your legs give out from under you. Your body is like lead, and you can only watch as your Abettor is stabbed with a syringe full of a luminous blue liquid by a person all in black, wearing a fencing mask. As soon as your Abettor falls limp, you pass out. And that's it.

It's not too long until everyone around you comes to. You're all middle school to high school age and all remember the exact same thing. All of you feel weak. Some of you feel sick. None of you feel even the slightest bit happy. You don't know what's going to happen to you all, but one thing is clear.

If you don't want to die, you need to meet back up with your Abettor.

And when your Abettor wakes up in a similar holding cell, humanless, and with powers greatly weakened, they are understandably worried.
You can also remember clearly how you were taken. It was the first day of the Summer Holidays - the 28th June, 2014 - and you were out and about, alone, with your human. Just for a second, you closed your eyes. Normally, that's not too much of a big deal, but this time, you are grabbed and restrained. Your inability to move means your human collapses, and before you can fight back you are rendered unconscious. The last thing you remember is a fencing mask and a menacing syringe. And that's it.

It's not too long until the rest of the Abettors around you come to. You're all able to survive on land, have humans that are teenagers and remember the same thing. You all feel quite well, but you know that your human won't feel the same way. Maybe it's sympathy that drives you to try and escape or maybe you just don't want to encounter another needle...

But you really, really want to find your human again, and get out.

Alright, now onto the more boring stuff.
Welcome to Iesvj (Aye-suv-juh), a world identical to Earth apart from the Abettors. There are all varieties of Abettors, from whales to beetles, and they all have powers that relate somehow to themselves. This RP is based in a research facility far away from civilisation, and you'll find out what they're researching in the course of the RP. Basically, you have to find your Abettor and escape, but the problem is that the scientists aren't trying to hurt you at all; any time they come over and visit you feel a lot better, and stronger. So, do you still want to escape, or would it be better for you to just stay?

Post if you're interested, and ask as many questions as you'd like!

The OOC/Sign-Ups!

Last edited:
Steampunk like in the golden compass would have been a bit more fun

I might suggest to add a little more dystopian too.

I don't really like Steampunk and I don't know it either and my plot idea doesn't fit with the dystopian genre too well. Thanks for the feedback, though.

I'll admit now I only skimmed the first time. Reading back on it I can see why neither of those work properly in this context and now I'm actually quite intrigued and I have a few ideas on who I might use in this circumstance.

This reminds me slightly of one book series that had animal companions and humans. Count me in, good sir! (Thank you for the nostalgia spike.)

I'm interested. As I was reading I had that huge itch in the back of my head that I recognized this setup from something I'd seen/read when I was younger and that I'd loved the story. Thank you Pokc for reminding me it was the Golden Compass, I would have gone crazy trying to figure it out. Nostalgia man.

I'm definitely in for this. Do you have a character sheet you want us to fill out or is it just going to be freeform? Also, are we going to be playing both our Abettors and Humans, or are we pairing up and having one RPer play each? Any important information about how this all works would be helpful to point out btw. I don't remember a lot about the Golden Compass so if this is going to be heavily based off of that then I'll need a refresher.

The character sheet is in the OOC that I linked above :). You're playing both your Abettor and your Human. The only real similarity between this RP and The Golden Compass is that the companions are animals, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about it when I was setting it up.

When it comes to information, there isn't anything too extraordinary to explain. It's set in modern day 2014, and the characters can come from all across America. The facility is situated somewhere in the middle of America, but deep in the wilderness. The facility is a triple storied building, not including the basement where the Humans and Abettors are being held. Occasionally, a human or abettor will be taken by a scientist or someone like that to one of the upper floors, but they all look the same and it's all quite like a maze.

Really, just ask questions, and I'll do my best to answer them :)

Sounds good, and here are some more questions:
- Can Abettors talk? If not do they communicate mentally with their human or not at all? (Or can they do both?)
- About how far can a human be from their Abettor? (normally without any experimental influence)
- How do the Abettor powers work?
-- Are Abettor powers purely elemental? Or can they include things like teleportation, mind reading, psychic object moving etc?
-- Can the human use these powers or do they need to instruct their Abettor to do it for them?
-- When using the abilities, does the human/Abettor need to make motions or complete rituals or can they just think it and it happens?
- Is the Abettor actually a piece of the human's soul like in the Golden Compass? Or are they just spiritually linked to an animal at birth?
-- Going along with this, would the Abettor have the same personality as the human? Like I'm sure they would understand each other deeply but would they
basically be the same person in animal form or two different beings (that may or may not get along)

I may come up with more later :D

EDIT: If I ever ask a question that may reveal too much just tell me you don't want to answer. That's an answer enough for me, I just want to know what my character will understand at the start of the RP. Anything that will be revealed later on in the story can stay in the dark

Oh, and are there wild animals in this world? Like I know you said an Abettor can live without a human. But for any animal without a human companion, were each of them an Abettor at one point that lost their human or are there wild animals that were never linked to a human in their life?

- Abettors can talk, and they do have telepathic abilities with their Humans, however, only to a set distance of about 50 feet. At the distance they are when they start the role play, they won't be able to communicate through the telepathy.
- They can go an unlimited distance away, however, the further away they go the sicker and weaker the humans will get and the weaker the Abattor's power gets. Usually, people won't go much more than a few rooms distance away from their Abattors.
- Well, that depends on the power. A bird Abattor with a wind power would use their wings, or an Abattor with earth powers may use their feet.
-- As long as you can prove there's a link between the animal and the type of power, it can be used.
-- They need to instruct the Abettor.
-- There needs to be movement that relates to the power that is going to be used; flapping of wings, digging underground, things along that line.
- It's just a link, but it's still a representation, as the animal is inherently like the human in some way.
-- They may have the same personality, but it's not a requirement. It's actually quite common for an Abettor to leave their Human for a short while in a way of punishment, but it's not at all common for them to properly leave one another before one of them dies.
- Normal animals are a result of a human dying before their Abettor. The Abettor's intelligence is lowered and their powers are lost after their humans death. There are also some animals that were never Abettors in the first place, but there are no humans that never had an Abettor.

Okay not gonna lie that was really fun ahahah :D
If you've got any more questions, ask away! I love world development like this.

Last edited:
Back