The Madness in the North

Hedvig knew someone would eventually ask. This was a story she rarely shared.

"When I was 9 years old," began Hedvig, "I fancied this guy from my village, his name was Kaspar. We got along just fine, until one day during the winter fest he said he wanted to show me something. I followed him to the nearby creek, which was frozen over. There, all these girls from the village ambushed me," tears began to form in Hedvig's eyes, "One of them, whom I heard ended up marrying Kaspar, took out a knife and cut off my hair, which I'd begun to grow out so that I'd be more accepted among them, then she cut this line into my face as she said over and over 'you will never be pretty' I'm guessing she was going to cut up my face, completely deform me, but luckily one of the town elders heard the commotion and sent some men to investigate."

Reviving that night sent shivers down her spine. She'd had nightmares about it for years after it happened. The kids who did that to her were never properly punished. The elders made them apologize to Hedvig, but she knew they didn't mean it. Afterwards, her parents would only let her out of the house when one or more of her brothers agreed to go with her. They didn't want Hedvig to be any more traumatized than she already was. This is what made her ashamed of it. People would stare whenever she went out, so she eventually stopped asking to go outside.

Hedvig noticed the two male winners looking at Hilde and giving her the occasional glance, "What do you make of those two clowns?" She asked.

Midnight

Wolfgang was buried in the bosom of a young Carconian noble and when he lifted his head he was slightly disappointed that his guests hadn't embraced the party as hard as he had. He adjusted his mask and scanned the room, the two females were talking amongst themselves and the males were only getting as half as amorous with the others as he had hoped. Wolfgang helped himself to a drink from a nearby table and realized that he was becoming quite intoxicated himself, so he crossed to the other side of a the tent and stepped outside from the tent for some fresh air. The area that the fest tents were built on every year were was on a hill in the garden district of Canicatti, the entire district was on the side of a hill and offered a dramatic view of the city. Wolfgang let out a sigh as he stared across Canicatti, every year he threw this party and every year he felt there was something left unfulfilled, something left to be desired. He scoffed and emptied his drink into the bushes, the food, the drink, the women, it was never enough.

Interrupting his episode of self-pity was the church bells striking midnight, which could be barely be heard of the din of the celebrations. As the bell's tolling continued, Wolfgang resumed his melancholic stare out across the city. It appeared that the celebration in the city below had poured out into the streets, which was a little bit unusual. Typically the parties petered out in the small hours of the morning, a sharp whistle interrupted Wolfgang's thoughts. Some sort of light flew out of the nearby church-tower and exploded into a shower of glittering, red sparks with a resounding bang. Wolfgang nearly jumped out of his skin before remembering the fireworks he had ordered, he grinned gleefully ran back towards the tent and threw the folds of the entrance open.

"Come hither! The show has started!" Wolfgang chortled like a small child before returning to his vantage point with the rest of the party on his heels, several more lights flew up into the night sky, each one with a more glorious explosion than the last. The barrage lit up the sky in such a spectacular fashion that one could see through the night just as easily as they could the day, Wolfgang looked to the streets and saw crowds of awestruck party-goers craning their necks to look at the nights. Some were surprisingly still partying, flailing their arms around and running around like maniacs. Wolfgang squinted, it actually looked like they were fighting, that wasn't unexpected during the Summer Gale Fest, but it was disappointing that they would fight during the best show this city had seen. It wasn't until Wolfgang heard the screams in between the fireworks that it occurred that to him that something must've been awfully wrong. With the brief flashes of light from the fireworks illuminating the scene, the observers were able to see a massive, street-wide brawl that was spreading through the city like a wave. The sea of people was in violent turmoil as fists, bottles, bricks and anything else that could've possibly been conceived as a weapon was utilized against each other. There was a collective dumbfounded silence among Wolfgang and his guests, no one had ever seen anything like this. As the fireworks ended, there was a gasp, with the show no longer drowning out the crowd, everyone could hear the full volume and terror of the mob in the city below. A few of the nobles began to weep, and some covered their ears to try and block out the violent ambiance.

Wolfgang took of his mask and dabbed at the sweat on his forehead with his sleeve, he wasn't quite sure what was happening, but he had a feeling that it had ruined his night. He brushed past the party-goers without a word and grabbed a nearby servant who was limping away from the main tent.

"You! Tell my guardsmen to head down the hill and help the city guard, there's some sort of massive fight going on in the streets down there." Wolfgang said, trying to appear brave and stoic even though there was a slight tremor in his voice.

"Sire, I'm afraid your guard is preoccupied with containing some sort of mob inside of the fest tent. They're acting like animals in there." The servant replied in between pained groans, he motioned at his torn clothes and wounded leg to prove his point. Wolfgang glanced around helplessly, he was at a complete loss for words. The servant limped away as quickly as he had arrived, and even going as for to climb over the wrought iron fence surrounding the property. It was exactly at the point where Wolfgang turned his back that the tent collapsed, the entire structure came down with a resounding crash and shards of wood flew past the group. Wolfgang spun around and let out a shrill scream, the party-goers could see a few long splinters of wood embed into the host's back. But Wolfgang wasn't screaming in pain, he was screaming at the writhing mass of canvas and debris where bloodied guests were now emerging and attacking anyone that they could lay their hands on. Maybe if Wolfgang had spent a little bit more time running around instead of staying inside and eating pastries as a child, he would've been able to get away. He could only let out a gasp as the man who had been calling the numbers on the oats tackled him to ground and began to claw at his face. The man was covered in blood and his jaw hung from his face in a macabre fashion, the private party were frozen and fear and could only watch as their host for their night was brutally accosted. the man was letting out staccato wails that were soon joined by the other inhabitants of the main tent as they emerged from the wreckage.

A few of the nobles broke away from the horrified onlookers and followed the servants example, scaling the the fence to escape, however, only a few were actually physically able and the rest could only jump helplessly and beg for the others to pull them to the top. This burst of movement had caught the assailants' attention and they began to move towards the group, their speed was significantly altered due to the injuries they had sustained during the collapse of the tent, which still had more of the crazed attackers emerging from.

"To the inn! We must get to the inn!" One of the nobles standing next to the winners cried before running towards the fence. One could've assumed he meant the Rizzuti Inn, which was a place where a wide variety of travelers were staying for the festival. The Inn itself was formerly an armory and had withstood every war that had reached Canicatti, it was most likely the safest place to be during an attack on the city.

=========================================================================================================================================

(OOC: Sorry for the delay on this point, I had a pretty busy week. The Inn will be your chance to change your character's equipment before the rp moves on.)

Back