The Outside [1x1 - romamaro & TheZanta]

Ruth nodded slowly. "The Shepherds say everyone's poisoned, but none of you know it." She mumbled, glancing at the bike. "Anyways, you'll want to walk a little bit out, and then you can leave them." She said, pointing in the direction they came. "Not too far, though."

Lukas nodded in compliant agreement. "I don't think I'll need to worry about anyone stealing my supplies, at least," he mumbled quietly as he walked his bike in the direction he came from. After a good couple of hundred feet, he let the bike lay on its side and dropped the duffel bag to the ground. He rolled his shoulders, it felt absolutely wonderful to get the weight off. Taking one last stretch, he made his way back to the house.

Ruth waited for Lukas to come back, still wiping at her forehead with her handkerchief every so often. She started to walk towards it, careful to watch her feet for equipment that had been left or any animals.

A couple minutes later at they were at the house, but it seemed like a lot of people had already finished, playing in the garden around the house or just sitting on the porch. Most people didn't notice Lukas, but anyone that did froze and stared. Children even scrambled away.

Instead of walking into the house, Ruth took a left a little away from the porch. She pointed towards a little wooden shed without a top, around fifty feet to the left of the actual house. "That's the shower," she said to Lukas. "Towels are in the little cupboard by the floor. I'll let the Shepherds know you're here. Just come in when you're done. " She said, before turning on her heel and walking back around the house.

As he walked about the house, Lukas kept wary eyes on the people around the property. It was unnerving, they treated his presence as if he came from a different universe. Of course, it felt like they weren't really of this Earth, either. At least they were more afraid of him than he was of them.

Staring at the shed Ruth brought her to, he took a deep breath, and said a "thank you" with a polite smile to Ruth as she left. It wasn't the worst circumstances he had to get himself clean. Before he knew it, he was on his own. Thankfully, it no longer felt like he was being observed or studied to his current awareness or knowledge. He stepped into the shed to have a quick rinse-off. He turned on the water, which ran in sporadic, lukewarm bursts. It wasn't pleasant, but it was sufficient, as long as he was no longer soaking in sweat. He gave himself a solid 3 minutes to clean off and towelled off, wrapping his hair with another towel and dressing himself with his previous clothes. He wasn't cleansed, but at least he was cleaner than he was before, and the tension in his muscles was nowhere near as extreme.

Last edited:
Just as Lukas came out of the shower, Ruth turned the corner, holding a pile of clothes. A plain tan button up shirt and brown suspenders, along with a pair of white cotton socks, black polished shoes and some boxer briefs. They absolutely stank of fragrant citrus soap, the stench so overwhelming it made your eyes water, but Ruth didn't seem to mind. She walked up to the shower and stopped to look Lukas up and down. She sighed.

"You can't just change back into unclean clothes." She complained with a shake of her head. "Here, change into these. They're Marlin's, but he won't mind. He's nice like that." As she said this, she blushed. She practically shoved them into Lukas' hands. "Shepherd Ethel's making more scones just for you, and you can't keep Shepherd Ethel waiting. Just leave your dirty clothes there when you're finished, and then you can come right on in." With that, she turned on her heel and walked back into the house.

"Of course, my mistake, thank you." he replied meekly. One thing was for sure, they were serious about their hygiene. As soon as Ruth left, he removed his old clothing and attempted to slip on Marlin's. The smell made his nose wrinkle and the pants fit less-than-modestly down his waist, but it wasn't the typical rags he was usually in, and for that he could be grateful.

Lukas couldn't help but consider the general pleasantries and hospitality he had been receiving since his unexpected arrival. Typically, people of other communities were nowhere near as considerate to a man of his appearance or general standing. These people were willing to give him a place to bathe and food to eat. Their heads may not be in the right place, but their empathy was. For that he had to be somewhat grateful.

He was finally dressed as suitably as possible for his hosts, save for a couple non-fitting garments. He unwrapped the towel from his head and his brown hair came falling down onto his shoulders. His hair was already close to frizzy, but that was no matter to him. Now that he was presentable, he made his way back to the house.

There was nobody sitting on the porch, even though there were three chairs and a bench. The door creaked like all hell when it was opened. It lead directly into a rather large kitchen, with a white diamond tiled floor and stone wall tiles. It had wooden countertops, but instead of a stove it had a fireplace in the wall, and a steel basin instead of a sink.

In the centre of the room was a white, wooden circular table. There were a good amount of chairs around it, maybe fifty or so. At one of the chairs was an old lady. She must have been in her late eighties, with silvery grey hair in a long braid down her back. Despite the sweltering heat, she nearly fully covered, with a turtleneck, a long pair of trousers, a pair of gloves, a thick pair of socks and a handkerchief covering her head. She looked sort of sickly, but that might have just been the heat. There was one seat gap, and then Ruth sat to her left, hands folded patiently in her lap. The old woman lifted her head from the plate of scones in front of her and smiled at Lukas.

"Lukas, this is Shepherd Ethel." Ruth said, nodding towards the old woman.
"Nice to meet you, Lu," Ethel said, her voice sweet like the perfect old lady's should be. She stood up and shuffled over, supporting herself on the table as she did. She was a tiny woman, barely even five feet with a hunched back. "I'm sure you'll love it here." She reached out and pat the side of the arm, an action that made Ruth sit up straight and hold her breath.

Upon walking in, Lukas had much to take in. From the diamond-tiled floors to the ludicrous amounts of seating at the table to the elaborate kitchen setup, he wasn't sure what to make of it. The interior had the warm coziness of an old-fashioned cottage, but the extravagance of the mansion of a one-percenter. His intrigued gaze went about the house, near unaware of Ruth and the elder woman at the table. It was only once Ethel referred to him as "Lu" when he broke his stupor and turned his head to her. "Ah," he breathed tensely, "My mother called me Lu," he finally spoke. "It's a pleasure to meet you too, Shepherd Ethel." The words in his mouth felt awkward, especially to be referring to a person as Shepherd. "I do really appreciate all of you taking me in and taking care of me."

Shepherd Ethel chuckled softly. "Well, I'll call you Lukas from now on. I call little Luke 'Lu' anyways." She smiled. "It's our pleasure, really. People coming to their senses is always a lovely thing to see." She chuckled. She turned her body slightly and pointed a terribly shaky hand towards the plate of scones. "Please, take a scone. There's clotted cream in the white jar, butter in the little box, strawberry jam in the pink jar, and orange marmalade in the orange jar." She said with a smile, pointing at each of the items as she spoke. "I'll get you a knife and a plate." She said, turning around fully to walk to a nearby cupboard.
"I'll get it, Shepherd Ethel," Ruth said, standing up quickly. She walked over and took Shepherd Ethel very carefully by the elbow, helping her to sit back down again. She pulled a delicate looking plate out of a cupboard, along with a basic knife.

Lukas forced as much of a natural smile as possible. "Y-yeah," he spoke quietly, darting nervous eyes towards Ruth in a silent call of distress.. He surely was not the one who had to come to their senses in this household. Regardless, he took a scone from the plate and placed it onto the one Ruth supplied for him. "Thank you kindly." He sat himself down at the table, sticking out like a sore thumb, it seemed.

"It's a really nice house you have here," he attempted to throw out a compliment to avoid falling silent, "I can barely grasp how you manage to fit so many people in here." He glanced down at the lone, fresh-baked scone on his plate. Something was keeping him from eating it, as if a pastry could seem off. Eventually, after some unnerved hesitance, he took a bite of the scone dry, not even thinking to spread anything on it. It definitely tasted like a pastry should taste. Floury, soft but crisp, and noticeably filling. Just like mother used to make.

Ruth took a seat, but she actively put effort into leaving one chair between everyone else. She took a scone of her own, slicing it in half and absolutely slathering it in clotted cream and jam. As she ate, more of it landed on her face than in her mouth. She tilted her head to look at Lukas as she licked some clotted cream off her lip. "Are you seriously having that without anything?" She asked, pushing the jam towards him. "You've got to try the jam, at least. Shepherd Ethel makes it!" She said, nodding towards the old lady, who smiled back in return.

"Now, you both stay right there. I've got some things to sort out." The shepherd smiled warmly as she shakily stood up and shuddered her way out of the room, holding onto whatever she could to support herself.
Ruth watched her go, eyes full of care for the old woman. "You see what the outside does to you?" She said quietly when she heard the woman walking down the stairs. "Shepherd Ethel lived on the outside for all her life. They filled her with sicknesses for years. Then she came with Guardian Arthur, who was sick too, and started to save people." As she spoke about 'Guardian Arthur', she kissed the palm of her hand and placed it to the kitchen floor not wiping it on her dress before she picked up her scone again. "Don't you see how dangerous the False Shepherds are?"

Keeping a forced smile on, Lukas nodded compliantly took his knife and spread an incredibly modest amount of strawberry jam onto the already-eaten scone, and took another small bite from it.

As the elderly woman hobbled out of the room, his face lost its smile, and a look of concern and worry fell over it in replacement. He put the scone down onto the plate carefully as if it would shatter otherwise. "If I'm being perfectly honest, no, I don't really see the danger of the False Shepherds." He cleared some of the hair out of his face, "I don't even really understand what or who they are in the first place, either," his voice was quiet but firm, a sort of conspiratory hush. He sat forward as if he were still being observed from the other room.

Ruth blinked a few times and shook her head. "I know you're probably feeling sick, but even if you are you've got to get some food in you." She declared, pushing the jam closer towards him.

At what he said, a look of appall, horror, disgust, and a little curiosity came across her face. "The False Shepherds. The ones that make your rules. And they put you in that place if you break them. I...I think it was called..." she put her fingers to her temples as she tried to think, "j-jail! That's it! They put you in jail if you break your rules! And you never see your family again, even if you just did something little." Though her voice was strong and opinionated, she was still being quiet enough so that she didn't disturb anyone else in the house.

Lukas' eyes shifted side to side before returning back to Ruth. "So," he started off, but his voice trailed off as he pondered what she was saying. Placing his elbows on the table with his shoulders hunched, he took a breath. "... So are you telling me you don't have or follow any laws?" He questioned. "Y'know, besides nothing coming in from the outside, of course." He kept cautious of his words, near certain someone was listening to him. "Maybe it's not my place to pass judgment, but this sounds chaotic to me. Have you ever even been outside of this property? Don't you go stir-crazy?" His words were fast and unrelentless, even under the hush they were in.

"We do have rules, but they're reasonable rules. Easy to follow." Ruth declared with a confident nod. She shook her head. "I don't need to leave. Everything I could ever want or need is right here." She touched her fist down to the table to punctuate her sentence. "I don't want to leave either. I don't want to get sick!" She hissed.

Lukas quirked an eyebrow, his tone went from worried and concerned to defiant and unyielding. "I don't know what you think sick is, but this is not what it is," he retorted matter-of-factly. He flicked his hair like a teen girl. "And I don't know what rules you think the outside has, but it tends to just fall down to 'don't kill people' and 'don't rape people'. There may be other things but those would be the only reason you'd never see your family again." It was odd, he was lecturing on the basic essentials of law. "And hell, if this is sick, I'd rather be sick than holed up in a house in the middle of god-knows-where for the rest of my life." He couldn't keep control of himself. It couldn't be his place to judge, but he was doing it anyway.

Ruth lifted her head to look down her nose at Lukas. "That's not what the Shepherds say." She said it with the weight that suggested that around that area, it ended all arguments. "People go missing out there, don't they?" She asked, though it was obviously not meant to be answered. She stood up to make her next point. "Well, guess why that is? It's because they break the rules. So your leaders just send people to take them away, and then they either keep them or they kill them." She sat down again. "And this isn't 'the middle of god-knows-where'! It's the Good Land."

Lukas rolled his eyes derisively. "Okay, fine," he decided to humour Ruth just a bit. "Let's just say that, yes, people go missing because they break the rules," he started calmly. He leaned in to make his voice heard by Ruth. "So what makes you think these Shepherds," he expressed in air quotes, "What makes you think they're any different to these False Shepherds?" He crossed his arms on the table, examining her carefully with watchful eyes. "If our leaders send people off and keep them or kill them, what do you consider this place? You're kept here, unable to leave, right? It's practically a well-decorated prison. You haven't even broken any rules! It seems to me that your Shepherds are even less trusting of you than our False Shepherds are of me, or anyone else for that matter." He brushed at his facial hair with his hand, and sat himself up from the table. "Call it the Good Land if you want, but I see a jail. Regardless, I'd rather not prolong my visit here."

"We could leave if we wanted, but everyone here is happy." Ruth claimed. "Everyone that comes here stays, and that's because everyone that comes here sees what's wrong with their world. You're the first person who's too blind to even consider it!" She hissed. She turned away from him when he stood up. "So, you won't even stay to be treated? You really are so arrogant."

Just as soon as she finished speaking, the door opened. Shepherd Ethel walked in, holding a mortar and pestle in her shaking hands. She looked down at the mostly uneaten scone and chuckled. "Don't worry, you'll feel good enough to eat soon." She said warmly, setting the mortar and pestle down on the table. Inside was a lot of ground up flower petals, damp from a liquid that smelt just as citrusy as the clothes. The tips of Shepherd Ethel's gloved fingers were covered in a fine grey powder. "Get the boy a spoon, Ruth," the old lady said.

Ruth stood up immediately and rushed to get the utensil. She took Lukas by the hand and forced the metal spoon into his hand, pushing his fingers around it. She looked into his eyes, her own eyes intense. After that, she left the house, leaving Lukas with the mysterious mixture and the old lady.

Before he even got the chance to say anything more, Ethel had stepped into the room, and Lukas stiffened where he stood. The entire time until she left, he eyed Ruth. He didn't want to stay. He wasn't going to stay. But at this point it seemed there was no good way to leave. Tension clogging the air, he was left with this bizarre concoction, which he studied uncertainly. After some quiet, he looked up from it, "What, exactly, is in this?" He asked, trying not to seem surreptitious. At this point, he was certain they were trying to do something to him that he did not want at all. Just... Whatever it is, he couldn't tell what the hell it was.

Back