The Quest to Find Cerebus (Ladyawesome & Hannibal ante portas)

LadyAwesome

@Hannibal ante portas

BIOGRAPHIES

Name: Malcom “Mal” Harrison
Godly Parent: Hades, God of the Underworld
Powers: Ability to show what waits for people in his father’s realm and he also can siphon life energy from living creatures.
Weapon of choice: Spear
Appearance: He is first generation American. His mother is from south Africa. His skin is slightly darker than pitch. His eyes are a green of fresh mint. He stands just over 6 feet and is thin. He wears his hair short.

Name: Daphne Ridding
Godly Parent: Persephone, Goddess of Spring
Powers: Power over plants and all things that grow in nature; can talk to animals
Weapon of choice: Two daggers that she carries as rings, one on each middle finger
Appearance:
8dd5bfbe9a5d4df9a0fbc357b1ee720d.jpg

PLOT

Someone broke into the Underworld and dog-napped Cerebus, Hades' 3-headed dog that protects the Underworld. Now, Hades' world is pure chaos, and people are going to the wrong places after they die (River of Lost Souls, Field of Asphodel, etc.) and Cerebus is being used to target other minor - and some major - Gods and deities, sending the mortal world into chaos as well. Hades is furious and blames Zeus and Poseidon because he thinks they want to take the Underworld from his domain, but it turns out that it's a rogue demigod who has turned bitter at his father Hades and at the mortals he is forced to live amongst and the powerful Gods and other creatures he is forced to hide from. Will newcomer Mal and camp veteran Daphne be able to complete this most dangerous quest or will it take their lives?

Daphne sat under a big tree ontop of her favorite pile of boulders, next to the lake on the edge of Camp Half-Blood. The wind was light and kept her cool as she read one of her favorite books. This was her favorite spot in Camp, because it gave her a serene escape into her favorite worlds where no one else could bug her. Around her, the otherr campers were actively having weapon fights and playing sports and doing what the campers do best - train. The camp itself was pretty empty since it was almost September and a lot of the other campers went home with their families to attend mortal school. Daphne always stayed at camp, unless there was a quest. She didn't see or feel the need to access the outside world if she didn't have to. As long as she had her books, she was happy here at camp.

Mal watches the training golem walk forward. This golem is slower than the others but could take a heavy blow without falling apart.

He slams his spear against his shield. Golem and demigod meet in the center of the ring. Spear darts in scoring two light marks as a spring powered fist steals Mal's breath.

Three painful falls later Mal calls a end to his first training match of the day. He drops his spear and shield which causes them to reappear as wrist tattoos.

Mal is still shocked at the suddenness of his birthright. One day he is preparing for the SATs and the next he is living in a cabin built to house the children of the Lord of the Underworld, the Hidden One, called Hades.

A Raven flys above Mal and lands on a branch.

Last edited:
A conch blew in the distance - lunch time. Daphne sighed, finishing the paragraph she was reading before placing her bookmark and closing her book. She stood and stretched before carefully jumping off the stack of boulders and heading to the Big House for lunch.

She took her usual seat at the Persephone table - which was empty, as her siblings usually went to their homes for the school year. Today's lunch consisted of sandwiches. She stood and walked to the fireplace where she gave her offering to her mother, saying a silent hello and took her seat alone once more.

She didn't mind being alone so often; it gave her more time to read. She took a bite of her turkey sandwich and opened up her book once more, continuing where she left off.

"Son," the Raven spoke with Father's voice. "Cerebus is missing. My no-good bastard brother must have done it." The Raven stops speaking and grooms its feathers. After several seconds, Father regains control over the bird. “You are the only child I can trust to search for him. Choose another half-blood, one you can trust, and go find him. Slay anyone that gets in your way.”

The Raven goes back to grooming, and I wait several minutes for Father to retake the raven only to realize that Father was done with me. Feeling like an idiot I wash my face in the bowl before leaving.

The Conch sounds, announcing the midday meal. I preform loosening up exercises on the way to the Big House for lunch. I enter the dining hall to find it empty save a pretty girl sitting at Persephone’s table. She had a book opened before her and a look of absent pleasure on her face.

I run through the roster of current half-bloods still here in camp. There are two Ares by the name of Mark Newman and Tim Baker, both asshats, and both nothing but muscle. Mal knew what will find Cerebus is smarts.

Mal grabs a plate and walks up to the red head Persephone and asks “My name is Mal. May I sit with you.”

Daphne sat blissfully reading and eating away in the nearly empty Big House until a boy that looked about her age - a newbie her at camp - walked up to her and started talking. She gave him a friendly smile as she met his eyes, "Nice to meet you, Mal. It's okay by me if you sit here." He sat and she closed her book once again, "I'm Daphne." She took a bite of her delicious sandwich, followed by a swig of her Dr. Pepper in her gauntlet, before speaking again, "You're new here, aren't you? When did you arrive?"

"Ya arrived last week." Mal says with longing still missing home. "Got the news, and boom here."

Mal takes his salad out and adds the dressing, from a thermos he pours herbal tea. Sipping the tea he observes Daphne. During his time in high school he noticed that girls are like mirages. They look like beautiful places of rest, but as you got closer the illusion is stripped away. Daphne was not in the same boat as those girls. She was like a painting; when you were closer you could see the master's hand creating her. Beauty in each brushstroke.

Mal smiles at her deciding it was okay to like her.

"Oh," he lowers his voice "I hope you don't mind, but my Pops is Hades."

Daphne nodded her head as she took another bite of her sandwich, "How did you learn about it? If I may ask. You don't have to tell me, I'm just curious," she gave a sweet smile, her eyes twinkling with curiosity. She almost hated herself for always being so nosey; it was one of her flaws. She couldn't help it, though, it was in her genes. Her father was a detective, and so usually, he always had to ask questions and know the truth. That, of course, was his downfall.

She could feel Mal's eyes watching her, looking over her every laugh line and freckle and stray hair. Her cheeks flushed a light pink, but she took another sip of Dr. Pepper and shrugged it off nonchalantly. It was weird for her to act like this - normally she didn't get so embarrassed or anxious around people. Then again, people - boys especially - never looked at her the way Mal was.

As soon as Mal said Hades, Daphne hesitated. Not out of fear or anything like that, she didn't care that this was a child of the Lord of the Underworld. "O-Oh, that's funny." She met his eyes, a strange twinkle in hers, "Because my mom is Persephone."

Mal sips tea as Daphne talks. When she blushes, he realizes how not subtle his gaze was and shifts his focus to a war trophy behind her. When she asks how he found out about good old pops he is wretched back to the train ride two weeks ago.

The arrogant, bullheaded, racist, piece of dog crap, punk guy sits rocking and sobbing on the ice. Winds swirl around us with no apparent direction; each gust pulls slightly at my clothes and sends the guy into fits of coughing and shivering. The ice that under our feet seems solid and safe, but there are large lumps, about one to two foot tall, surrounding us. I walk up to one and notice it is a naked woman in the fetal position, crying and muttering in a foreign language.

Mal jerks his attention back to the present. "Oh," his voice is husky, "I found out by stumbling into our Parents' realm." He lets time tick away then changes the topic. "What are quests, does your parent normally grant them, and can your refuse them?"

Daphne stopped from taking another bite, the sandwich only inches from her mouth, and put it back on the plate. Her smile faded, worry lines popping up on her forehead. She looked a Mal, a worried and serious look in her eyes, "Mal, you...you can't just stumble into the Underworld. I mean, it's not unheard of that a child of Hades can Shadow Travel, but that takes a lot of energy and you have control over it. You don't just all of a sudden end up in his realm unless you thought about it. And by the sound of it, you didn't even know when you stumbled there."

She bit her lip, her eyebrows growing close together in worry. She shook her head, "And as for quests, your parent doesn't assign them, per say, but they can request you. If there is a quest, you will be contacted by your parent, usually through a dream, and then you would have to go talk to Rachel Dare. She's the Oracle of Delphi. She has to give you a prophecy, otherwise there is no quest. She lives up on the hill when she stays here." Daphne met Mal's eyes again, curiosity taking over once more, "Mal...did your dad...did Hades contact you?"

Mal waits until after he finishes his salad before answering. He could still hear Mark Baker's scream after they returned from the Underworld.

"Yea Pops made contact." Mal enjoys watching her expressions playout. He regrets the lie that he has to tell. "And he wants you to help me."

Back