New User The Token Minority

LimeyPanda

The Bearer of Bad News
Greetings, old friends and potential new ones.

My name is LimeyPanda. I'm a 23 year old student from the UK, and I like long walks on the beach, reading novels and poetry, and cuddling with that spe-

...Oh crap, wrong type of site.

Well, as for the more actively roleplay related stuff: I'm a 10+ year veteran of Play-by-post games and a 6 year veteran of Tabletop games. I generally favour High-fantasy, post-apocalyptic, lower-end Sci-fi, or secondary world fantasy settings, although I've been known to dabble elsewhere.

Now that I've got all the pretentious sounding bullshit out of the way...Hi, I'm a pretty chill sort of person who is known for being equal parts blunt and fun-loving. I am part of this new herd o' meat brought from another site, but I normally don't engage much in politics so I doubt I'll ruffle many feathers.

I look forward to writing with you all

LimeyPanda

P.s. Bears > Other Animals.

Welcome! I couldn't help but catch your interest in tabletop games. We're currently looking to get some table-top roleplays setup on Storyteller's Circle. If GMing a game on site is something that might interest you, let me know! Conversely if you know anyone that would be interested in GMing a tabletop game here, send them my way :)

We'd love to get at least three or four separate games running.

I know of a few people who might be willing to GM, myself included. it would depend heavily on time schedule though, as I gotta put that University life first. I'm a 5e GM more than anything, since I have issues with the 3.5/Pathfinder system.

Otherwise i'll repeat previous stuff; glad to be here.

Yeah, 5.0 is a solid system. Dash and I are planning to run a game ourselves, and I'm torn between 5.0 and Pathfinder.

Ya think yer real tough, eh, pal?

Well I ain't yer pal, buddy!

And I ain't yer buddy, pal!

But welcome to the circle anyway, ah-haha. :)

Yeah, 5.0 is a solid system. Dash and I are planning to run a game ourselves, and I'm torn between 5.0 and Pathfinder.
1jkFYGH.gif

I want!

@LimeyPanda It wouldn't be right without you. We always need our token Brit to make colonialism jokes about.

Well... Usually I avoid tabletop via forum due to speed issues...

But eh, this is a new site. We can build a better forum system/tools for it as we go. Count me interested.

When we run it, it's probably not going to be a weekly play schedule, so much as something I've been wanting to try for a while. It would be play-by-post, with a system of averages. If the average difficulty of something falls within so many points of a characters average roll, then people don't need to roll. IE: No need for a rogue to roll a dexterity check to hop over a five foot fence. If something falls outside of that average success rate, then they can choose to roll if they want. IE, jumping a very wide chasm. Someone can choose to roll and take the gamble that they'll succeed if the character feels its dire enough to risk falling and dying, but the decision to roll also runs the risk of failing outright if they roll low.

This should cut down on how much people have to roll for every little thing and allow for more focus on the writing. But still be very table-topish when it comes to combat and what not. PvP would be more fluid on a writing level also, similar to free-form but with stats. IE, if one persons character attacks another persons character, they include an attack roll. Defending person then writes the outcome of the attack on their character, based on whether the attack roll hit or not. So combat will remain descriptive like in a free-form game, but the outcome of attacks will be determined by level, stats, and the dice.

Oh yea, forget to mention. I personally prefer Pathfinder to 5th Edition, but one of the things that makes forum-tabletop an often poor combination is the amount of complexity being communicated over text not in real time. So for cases like this a simpler/easier to understand system that 5th edition would be the better choice in my own opinion.

Post-Edit: Just noticed I went a bit critique below. o_o
Please note my intention to provide help and feedback to help clarify mechanics and such before hand, I'm not trying to shit on anything. I do like the idea. :)

It would be play-by-post, with a system of averages. If the average difficulty of something falls within so many points of a characters average roll, then people don't need to roll. IE: No need for a rogue to roll a dexterity check to hop over a five foot fence. If something falls outside of that average success rate, then they can choose to roll if they want. IE, jumping a very wide chasm. Someone can choose to roll and take the gamble that they'll succeed if the character feels its dire enough to risk falling and dying, but the decision to roll also runs the risk of failing outright if they roll low.

Having been working on my own tabletop system as of late there's an immediate concern here that pops out to me, Meta-play and/or DM info.

This would only really speed up play if all the DC's were known to the players ahead of time, otherwise they'd still need to stop every time a 'roll' is needed simply to confirm if they're in the range. Fixing that isn't too hard though, just give the players the DC ahead of time. However, normally in tabletop this auto-pass is covered by a "Take 10" mechanic, which basically means if the DC is over you need 11 or higher to win, giving you a 45% or less chance to pass. If you add a range of passing into this, say 8-12 for example there's two big concerns.

1. On mere technicality, you got the situation someone's so good the roll to pass falls under the minimum, so they still need to roll. XD This is really just an issue of RAW (Read as Written) opposed to RAI (Read as Intended), so this isn't truly an issue. Just a funny note to highlight that you might want a word or two of clarification added in. :p

2. If say you pass on a 12 (Take 12), than suddenly you only need to roll for 13 and higher. This means if they roll they have at best a 35% chance of succeeding, not the best odds. A lot of players are likely to use this Meta Knowledge to then avoid most tasks that could require a roll, just because they know it most likely isn't worth their time. Then again, it's still less rolling which may be precisely what you want if your goal is to speed up the rate of posting.

But still be very table-topish when it comes to combat and what not. PvP would be more fluid on a writing level also, similar to free-form but with stats. IE, if one persons character attacks another persons character, they include an attack roll. Defending person then writes the outcome of the attack on their character, based on whether the attack roll hit or not. So combat will remain descriptive like in a free-form game, but the outcome of attacks will be determined by level, stats, and the dice.

This might have the risk of combat slowing such games down to a crawl.
Then again, not god modding is a rule generally applied in forum RPs already which already requires declaring an attack and waiting for a response, so this may be a false concern.

Welcome to the Circle. :) Looks like you've been well received already, but I'll shamelessly advertise anyway. Equinox is little less fantasy than most expect, but I guess the easiest way to explain it would be to compare it to Game of Thrones. If you'd like a bit more information, I'll have more up this evening or you can tag me up in chat if you see me on.

Back