The Vampire's Apprentice

"Well, you would have to ask a vampire, likely an older one, but I imagine each one would have a different answer, probably different answers throughout each time of their lives," Clancy shrugged. "I, myself, do not see how it could be much of a benefit, but should I find myself being, as they say, cursed as a vampire, I should think I would treat it a bit like having advanced diabetes or some such. A condition to be respected and worked with, not ignored or bitterly cursed. Though a true fate worse than death... no. There are no benefits. There is no question of benefits outweighing consequences. At least, those are my theoretical thoughts."

"Fine.... That's fine." She sighed. "I'm going home, now."
Kitty turned away, carrying on in the opposite direction. She had been answered, which was enough for the moment. "Goodnight, Mr. Clancy."

"Good night, Miss Kitty. Sweet dreams of being brutally devoured by a vampire!" Clancy called after her cheerfully. He headed for his own home with a soft hum. He had work to do, then sleep for the day. Tomorrow would be a new chance for this strange girl to surprise him.

It was all she had not to glower.

The day, as many of her days happened to be, was spent at the library. A place of vast knowledge; Kitty figured she would never have time enough to understand everything it held. Besides that, she (literally) survived in return for helping shelve books.

Today's train of thought was largely influenced by Clancy's comment the other night; history and lore between vampires and werewolves. Surprisingly few books on the subject, but it kept her busy during downtime. Libraries were not the most active of places, after all.

The sun inched ever-so-slowly across the sky, almost taunting her with its crawling arc. She wanted nothing more than for it to be nightfall, signifying another day of life and another night of possibility. Kitty had grown fond of looking forward to the time of evening when the sun was on its last stretch of daylight, the trees around her grew tangerine in hue before fading to an icy darkness. Fascinating, in her opinion.

All too soon, the moment would be gone, and she sat on the bench in expectant waiting. The girl brushed a strand of hair back from her face, replacing a mechanical pencil behind her ear as well, and carefully folding the semi-blank page pinched between her fingers, tucking the paper into her jacket pocket. There wasn't much of a wind that night. It seemed extra still, which encouraged her determination not to let him sneak up on her this time. A childish game, but fun nonetheless.

This evening, Clancy took his time, not rushing his way to the bench. He had a few clients waiting on answers, so he gave those answers, first. Then he strolled along casually to the bench. He slowed when he spotted her then came to a stop. Hmm, she was waiting. She was watching, even. How cute! He debated while he stood watching her. He could sneak up on her. With the benefit of his speed, he could appear to poof right up behind her, but that might make her more suspicious. Then again, he could walk up blatantly and ruin her fun by being obvious. Hmm, decisions, decisions....

Sneaking it was. He waited, watching her closely. She turned her head briefly to look at something or for something. He bolted forward, the grass barely rustling. Then he tiptoed slowly up behind her.

"What are we waiting for?" he asked innocently.

Kitty visibly jumped, the hairs on her neck prickling as she turned to face him. She exhaled a breath.
"You, obviously."

"Oh? Me?" Clancy said, opening his eyes innocently. "Whyever would you be waiting for me?" He smiled and came around to sit next to her.

Kitty laughed a little, terror forgotten. She moved over so he would have a place on the bench. "I was hoping to spot you before you scared me out of my wits, but I suppose that didn't work very well."
The girl sneezed, but rubbed her nose and thought little of it. She tucked her curly hair back again and looked at him. Specifically, his hat. One could almost see the focus leaking from her expression. "Where did you start wearing that hat of yours?"

"Perhaps next time," Clancy chuckled. He took off his hand and flipped it over, studying it. "This hat in specific? Mmm, five or six years, I think. I had another one before it that I wore for a few years." He tipped his head back as he tried to think back. "Oh, I've been wearing hats for a long time now. It was one of my very first 'indulgent' purchases with my own money earned at my own job. I saw one in the window one day, and the sun on the brim... ah, I fell in love. It reminded me of those old movies with those gangsters or whatever, where everyone talks out of the corners of their mouths and you cannot tell the good from the bad."
Impulsively, he flipped his hat and set it on her head.

She looked up at it, of course only catching a small glimpse of the dark brim in her field of view. "Do you ever change what style of hat you wear as the times and fashion change?"
Kitty brushed her fingers across the smooth rim and took it off to examine the inner fabric for a tag or other distinctive feature. A trademark or company, perhaps.

She would find the name of a modestly high-end haberdashery. The hat was wron, but in surprisingly good shape for its age, and it was clear Clancy kept it clean and well-taken care of.
"Mmm, sort of, but not really. Fads tend to move like a boomarang, anyway. Most things come back into style eventually, but some things never go out of style." He smiled an tugged lightly on his jacket. "Why the sudden interest in my clothing?"

Kitty handed it back to him. "I couldn't think of a better conversation starter that didn't directly involve vampires." She admitted. "Plus I was curious, as usual."

"Fair enough." He twirled his hat then set it on his head. "Now it is my turn to be curious. Do you have a home to go to?" He studied her closely.

There was a slight pause before her answer. "No, not officially, but home is where the heart is, is it not?"

"Hmm, homeless, I see," Clancy murmured. "And you have no real source of income, and that is why you struggle to feed yourself. True?"

"Would you rather I offer you some garlic or holy water?" Clancy pointed out mildly. "But, very well, one last question. Where is your family who is supposed to be looking after you?"

"Still alive, then, and you are on bad grounds with them for whatever reason," Clancy said. "That's a shame.
Families are the most frustrating important things in our lives, yet so easy to lose." He stood and brushed off his pants. "Well, come along, then."

Back