Thug Life

April watched as the raindrops ran down the window, the streaks and the dark clouds peeking through behind the old yellowing blinds. They slid down the dusty glass, making trails as they connected with one another and April counted how many connections they made until the whole thing slid off the second story window, out of view. It was surprisingly comforting, and at this moment that's what April needed.

No one had ever used this program before. It was an old program that no one bothered with anymore since the 80's. Maybe people just stopped bothering with it because it cost too much money to have trained professionals not only in the prisons but also at the stations. Many people didn't want criminals to be baby sat and rehabilitated, but because of this program April was getting into college. It looked good to them, that she would spend time enough to help young gang members, helping them regain the life they could have. However, April didn't think it would be used, because everyone before her never had anyone to watch over....Somehow, someone got through.

April knew she was nice enough and a part of her was happy to help. The only information she had was that he was about her age, and it seemed this was the first time he was caught. From what the chief said, he made it sound like they had been looking for him forever and it surprised her that such a guy would be given a second chance, especially in a smaller town like this. On the other side, she was scared, and for good reason! He was a thief, a member of the mafia even? Now April couldn't remember all the details, her stomach turning again with butterflies. When the nerves started to get too much she returned to watching the rain, counting the drops that ran into each other- One, two, three, four-

Suddenly the door opened, and there stood the chief's right hand woman, Mrs. Cornell. A slightly plump woman, with stern ashy gray eyes and thin lips pulled into a small pout. There were a few wrinkles around her mouth and eyes, but the thing that gave away age was the striking silver hair, piled into a limp bun on behind her head.

"Sit down son." She motioned to the chair next to April's, and when she did she tried to make eye contact with the boy. April was 22, though she didn't always look like it, and so she guessed he had to be around the same age, though the thing that struck her was the bright red hair. She gave a small smile as he sat beside her, only giving a small glance to Mrs. Cornell as she took her seat at her rather spotless desk. For a moment she rummaged for her reading glasses, then a pen, before giving a small cough and starting.

"April, this will be your assignment." She looked over at the man, giving him a small glance over her glasses. "Introduce yourself."

Instead of following orders immediately, the redheaded young thug decided to lock eyes with Mrs. Cornell, and in an even deadpan tell her "You're going to die alone and nobody's going to give a rat's ass."

After two entire seconds of maintaining eye contact with the old woman in the silence that followed, the thug finally turned his eyes to the girl seated next to him and said "My name is Winston. But nobody besides these cops have called me that in years, so I don't know why they bother. I'd say it's nice to meet you, but it isn't."

His eyes were harsh, grey as frozen sleet and stuck in a sort of permaglare. They matched his voice, a sharp yet smooth chunk of ice that didn't care who it impaled. His firey hair seemed like cruel irony in comparison, even through his clearly-failed attempts to tame it.

He wasted a lot less time looking at his new handler than he did glaring down Cornell, and in fact returned to said act with the closest thing to glee he had expressed. Adding in a slight eyebrow gesture as a silent 'go on' was just the cherry on top. He had zero respect for these people, and he planned on showing it.

There was no sneer, no loud bark demanding respect or throwing insults, no, Mrs. Cornell was tough as nails when she needed to be and silent when she knew she should be. Some of the men on the force thought her rude or a little too blunt, but ever since working with her April had come to see she was rather warm....once you get to know her. April admired her strength not to chew the young man out but just continue on with her business, knowing she had better things to do than argue with a child.

"Well, Miss April, like he said, his name is Winston. I would do last name as well but it seems like our friend doesn't much care for formalities. Either way, he will be in your care for the next few months." After shuffling around a few papers she finally found what she needed before looking back at Winston, folding her hands on the desk as she gave instructions. "You will be meeting with this young lady every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, at her chosen time and place. She has your contact info and you have her's. If you start to cause too much of a problem for mis April then we will start to cause you problems." Finally she did give a small, threatening glance back at him as she said softly, "And lay a hand on this girl and there will be no saving you."

April held her hand up to the last part, as if pushing those words away from the boy who sat beside her. Mrs. Cornell got strait to the point, as always, and so now April filled in the little gaps. She turned in her seat to look at him, once again trying to give a warm smile. "Well, it's nice to meet you. Like Mrs. Cornell said we will be meeting an awful lot for the next few months, so I hope we get along. You will have my contact info...I'll be here for anything you need, so please, don't hesitate to contact me if something comes up. We redheads have to stick together after all." She gave a small laugh, but inside she felt silly...He probably wouldn't favor being looped into any group with her right now.

"Since that's all done, I'll be giving these to you." Mrs. Cornell handed over a small folder full of Winston's information and other files she would have to fill out over the next few months. "I wish you luck, to both of you." The old woman stood up, opening the door to both of them. April stood, tucking the folder into her bag before looking back at Winston. "Since today is our first day how about we just go get something to eat? My treat! We can talk a little more then."

"I doubt I have a choice in the matter." Winston replied in the same semi-sarcastic tone as before, the young man rising from his seat once April had done so. "Lead the way, O Wise Counselor."

His expression hadn't changed much since he'd arrived, morphing from a dulled glare to a sarcastic glare and back again. He didn't plan on giving away anything with his face. No wonder he chose that route, it was practically a survival mechanism with his background. The only signs of distress in his posture were the stiffness in his shoulders, and the crossing of his arms over his surprisingly well-kept jacket.

Out of all these attempts to not show what he was thinking, the one thing that truly gave away what was on his mind was the brief glance he sent the folder in April's bag. He didn't like the idea of someone having so much information on him... Especially all in one place. But he obviously had no choice in the matter, so he just chose to be as much of an asshole as he could get away with while being dragged along on this 'journey'.

April led the young man through the station, giving small goodbyes to some of the officers and desk workers before reaching the front door. The rain had started to clear up within the few minutes of their conversation, leaving them with some time to walk. "I know a really nice diner. It's just a block or so away." She started to walk again, not looking back to see if Winston was really following her or not. She didn't know if she should, not wanting to give him an idea that she didn't at least trust him a little. With a heavy sigh she looked up at the sky, feeling more and more uneasy with every step. The silence was killing her.

"So, Winston...How about this weather? Do you like the rain? I do. Rainy days are always welcome in my book. You know the saying, April showers bring May flowers and all that jazz...." With every word she spoke April could feel her face and ears growing bright red, knowing that this talk of the weather was the stupidest way to get him to talk. However, April couldn't just go strait into long conversations of why he decided a life of crime and why he wouldn't just behave himself...No, that conversation would have to be later.

Oh, Winston was definitely following April. He had no choice, he was just outside of a police station full of cops ready to drag him to federal prison if he didn't cooperate with this girl! Besides, leaving her alone with that file filled with information on him? Practically suicide. So he was stuck about two feet behind this annoyingly cheery social worker/psychologist/volunteer/whatever the hell she was, attempting to keep pace with her on the slippery wet sidewalk.

Speaking of which, she was literally bringing up the weather. Of all things she was being paid (in either money or experience) to talk about, she chose the fucking weather. Either she wanted to start with the most 'harmless' question possible to try and loosen him up, or she really was that stupid.

He was willing to consider the option that it was both.

"Am I your first client?" He replied with a boatload of snark, deciding to answer a question with a question. "Because even if I am, you really should know that no one on this side of your little experiment likes the rain. It's only a nice thing when you have a warm, cozy home to go back to."

Back