We the Unwanted We the Unwanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donovan Blackmoore (Andaris, Helies)

Donovan walked quietly to a bunk only to find himself being confronted by the doctor. Turning slightly he gave the man a quizzical grin. "My table manners?" The grin faded when Adran had to treat him as if he were stupid. Moving in closer he shuffled his feet so that he was almost chest to chest with Adran. That is if he stood on his tip toes but, he wouldn't do that. Instead he found himself staring up Adran's nose. "I wouldn't necessarily say that I trust the man. If you want to know that I enjoyed the meal then yes. So long as the...king..." Reluctantly adding the title he continued "offers free food I'll eat it."

Turning away from Adran he started to strip the bunk of the blankets. "I'd rather sleep in my own." There were too many tales he'd heard of poisoning the blankets with disease. "By the way, you might want to blow your nose." Sending a quick glance toward Adran he then proceeded to get into the bed. Donovan didn't plan to remove his boots or anything. He was going to be prepared as he possibly could be. It still felt strange for him not to have his weapons. "I won't feel safe till we're out of here and I have my sword back." Still it seemed that he was going to get a lesson on table manners when the doctor returned.

Rajiana Pendragon (Armory Dorms, Helies)

Rajiana walks with the other guards, and scratches his stubbly chin absent mindedly as he spaces out looking at the swarm of fellow guards walking with their sword sheathed, clanking against their chainmail leggings. He was tired, but had a second wind that could last hours more. They arrived at the doors of the Armory, and the guards at their station allow entry. Rajiana glances to his right, and sees Andrin walking down an alley. "Sorry bastard is walking away from the bread and cheese." Rajiana mumbles to himself with a nearly forced raspy chuckle.

The walls were cold as anywhere else, except there were bright torches with banners. They arrived at the rooms and called the first ones they came to, he took a turn and walked to the available bed he spotted. These were better than firth, they were cloth mattresses with pillows and hessian blankets. There was also a quaint table for a game of cards or dining. Rajiana entertained this thought even though the 'table' was hardly big enough to set a plate on. He sets his cloth bag of food on the bed, and strips his helmet and breastplate in sync with every other in the dorms.

When they all settled in the smell of sweat was heavy regardless of the fresh lavender a soldier brought with him to display. Rajiana sat on the bed, and read some old letters he had saved from the Magister and his Mother. The smell of the awful ink was still vivid in his mind.

Andrin Deterius (Andaris, Helies)

Andrin lingered for a moment when he was dismissed. He was loyal to the King, and felt he should be there to protect him from any harm these newcomers could possibly inflict. He had to agree, the civility of the so called savages was offsetting, but it was obvious some of them still had barbaric urges. Andrin shook his head. Damn, I'm becoming just like father. It's not a bad thing, just...weird. Shrugging, Andrin left the matter to his superiors. He hoped to join them in the ranks of command, but he felt it was a long way from happening. He sighed, losing himself to thought as he mindlessly wandered around. Something felt wrong in the air, like a stench that sort of lingered faintly. Those Guardians... is it true that they protected the world long ago? I mean, it makes sense that they are called that, but why haven't they changed their name? They aren't guarding anything else, so why keep a name that is so closely tied to such evil? Andrin followed the rest of the guards, lost in thought.

He continued on, whistling a tune his father taught him. I'm sure you are just bursting with pride father. Andrin thought to himself with sarcasm. The boy you put so much into, all grown up and stuck as a measly recruit. I will lead someday, I swear to you, and I will bring Jason back together and reunite our family. Andrin kicked a loose stone, sending it bouncing down an alleyway. That's when he paused, perking his ear down the alley. He heard a soft cry, a pitiful sound that ringed in his ear. Slowly Andrin walked down the alley, looking for the source of the crying and not noticing the questioning look Rajiana gave him as the rest of the men entered the barracks. Andrin turned a corner to find a little girl sitting on a rotted box. Her clothes were in tatters, her face smeared with dirt and grime. The girl's hair was stuck in clumps as tears streamed down her dirty face. Andrin slowly approached the girl, holding his hands open in an effort to not scare her away. She gave him an odd look, noting his King's Guard armor, but she continued sitting there. Pity overcame Andrin as he crouched next to the little girl.

"What's the matter young one?" He asked, his voice soothing and calm. Despite the intensity of his blue eyes, the little girl felt comforted by the presence of the guardsman.

She sniffled before replying. "I'm hungry. Momma said she was going out to buy food, but she didn't come back." The little girl began crying again. Andrin made a soft shushing noise, patting the little girl on the head.

"It's ok, it's ok. I'll take you somewhere safe, ok?" He asked, a warm smile appearing on his face. The little girl nodded as she hopped off the box. Andrin took her by the hand and together they slowly made their way through Andaris. Finally they stopped in front of a small building. A wooden sign hung above the door, labeled "Ms. Portridge's Home for Lost Children."

Andrin looked the little girl in the eyes. He figured she would either treasure his bright blue orbs for awhile, or come to curse them, but whichever would occur was not important. "There's someone in there that will take good care of you, alright?" He told her softly. He placed a gold coin into her grubby hand, closing her fist over it. She looked straight into Andrin, bewilderment etched on her face. She can't be older than eight, Andrin thought sadly to himself. He pointed to the door of the orphanage. "You go on in there, alright. I have to go do something else." She nodded, hugging the man around the neck before carefully approaching the door. She paused, gripping the handle, and Andrin made a slight shove with his hand. She nodded again, before opening the door and walking in, closing it behind her.

A breath of relief escaped Andrin's lips as he stood there for a moment longer before turning back and heading to the recruit's dorm. The longer Andrin walked around, the more he realized everyone who was still out looked as if they needed help in some sort of way. It filled him with a prolonged sadness. This is what the King's Guard should be doing, worrying about the people here and not some random group that just came from isolation. The King needs to realize his people need him here. Andrin opened the door to the dorm, looking back at the dark street. We should be out there helping, not sitting here while the King and the rest of the Guardians are partaking in redundant speech.

Andrin stepped into the room, ignoring Rajiana's raised eyebrow as he laid there reading some letters. Andrin removed his helmet and stripped the chain mail off, hanging it on the pegs labeled "7". He unbuckled his sword and rested it under his pillow as he climbed onto the top bunk of Rajiana's bed. I know you would do the same father. Andrin reassured himself as he settled back, staring into the ceiling. He whistled the tune to himself again, thinking about the role of the King's Guard before finally slipping into slumber.

Last edited:
Esra T. Montaque
( Andaris, Helies )

She watched in surprise as the one male stripped his sheets from the bed to use his own. I... Would not think they had time to poison the blankets with famine causing illnesses... Or anything remotely similar... She raised the blanket on the bunk she chose: one of the bottom ones closest to the door, and sniffed at them. They... Seemed normal. Actually, they smelled lovely: why would one make a bed smell nice if it is just for sleep? Peculiar people here, indeed...

Then she turns around and realized that the two were arguing: again. "Leave him be, even if he learned to eat as kingly as the true king himself- these people will still only see us as savages..." Esra returned to the bed and began to examine the pillow. All of the fabric felt soft to her, more than the rough fabric of the blankets that they dragged along with them.

Adran Triveron (Andaris, Helies)

He had no words to say to Esra after her response, he couldn't think, all he knew was that he needed air. Gently he removed his glasses and placed them on his chosen bed. "I'll be out on the balcony if anyone needs me." They wont. He thought as he strode out of the room. Once he got to the edge of the balcony his composure broke and he just slumped against the railing, his head buried in his hands.

He felt dirty, not just physically, his soul felt unclean. He wanted to throw up as the stress of everything was eating away at him. He was starting to break under the crushing reality that he has no allies right now, he has to do it all by himself, Esra thinks its useless, Donovan doesn't care, Illya has no idea what to do and Gregorson's crew seems oblivious as to why they're even in the capital in the first place.

All these thoughts, these frustrations, molded into one singular statement in his mind. I wish Claius was here. He missed his friend more than words could even describe. Claius was his first friend in the Guardians, his mentor during that first grueling year of training, but more than that, Claius understood Adran and why his talents were useful. Claius respected Adran almost as much as Adran respected him, and he listened to Adran's advice, he had the authority and the respect to have the guardians make Adran's job even just a little bit easier and could've even helped in negotiations, surprising the king with his eloquence and open-mindedness.

That's when he felt a pang in his heart, a feeling he hadn't experienced since he joined the Guardians. Adran felt alone. He was an outsider to everyone again. No one in the room behind him had any respect for him, the nobility view him as a traitor to the crown, and as much as he had in common with King Rufus, until the man proved his desire for peace with his actions, Adran couldn't trust the man as far as he could throw him.

As these thoughts entered his mind, he felt a tear start to fall down his cheek. He quickly wiped it away, not wanting Donovan or the others to see him so weak, but as the thoughts piled up his resolve broke, he slumped against in the corner, out of sight of the Guardians, quietly sobbing.

Last edited:
Shade Bigge and Adran Triveron (Balcony outside guardian's quarters)

Shade volunteered for the first half of the night's watch patrol around the castle. She was too infuriated by the barbarian's presentation at dinner this evening to even think about sleeping until she'd worked off some of her steam. What were the Guardians thinking, bothering to come here for 'negotiations'? Perhaps their leaders had realized that they were in such a sorry state it was the only viable option left. Some of her fellow King's Guard seemed impressed by the Guardian's negotiator. She, personally, hadn't heard much of his conversation with the king, having been distracted by the disgusting actions of dwarf, but she couldn't imagine how any of the Guardian's had anything worthwhile to say.

As Shade patrolled, the sound of quiet sobbing caught her ear. She followed the noise, hand upon her sword. It led her to a balcony, overlooking the gardens of the castle. She found a figure there, cowered in the corner, weeping. It took a moment but she recognized him as the chief negotiator for Guardians. Her nose turned up in contempt. This was the silver-tongued negotiator the other King's Guard had been impressed by? Pathetic...

"A weak man like you should not be doing negotiations." Shade said, not bothering to conceal the contempt in her voice.

Adran looked over towards the King's Guard. He'd noticed him during dinner. This man had a particularly disdainful look on his face during dinner, and Adran couldn't blame him. He stood up, trying to regain his composure "All politicians are weak men. Surely you've been around the court. Have you not seen it?"

"Weakness is a state of mind and being." She replied, loosening her grip on her sword. "I too am a negotiator from time to time, and I am not weak. If you can not handle the stress of politics you should pass the position on to one who can and return home."

Adran smirked, "Then you are a very rare exception. I can respect that, though I imagine the respect of a Guardian means almost nothing to you." He leaned on the balcony. "Excuse my moment of weakness. My name is Adran Triveron. May I ask your name?"

"Captain Shade Bigge." She nods to him slightly. "Wait, you said Triveron?" Shade's eyes widened, taken aback by the name. "Son of Alexius Triveron? Member of the Royal Court?"

"The one and the same. You didn't use the phrase former son, so I'm assuming my father hasn't disowned me for running away yet? Surprising." Adran was momentarily lost in thought.

"I wouldn't know. We do not speak personally." Shade's contemptuous look had disappeared replaced by one of confusion. "What is the son of a high ranking Luina noble doing running around with brutes and savages? How can you honestly support them?" She demands.

"Where you see brutes and savages, I see an organization abandoned and forced into exile by their own people. You say you're a negotiator, and please do correct me if my assumptions are wrong here, but given your status as a King's Guardsmen, I imagine you never experienced what it was like to live in luxury. Your father never took you to the courts as a child, taught you to trust no one, and only think of the betterment of yourself. Mine did, explained how the court plays the game. I find their lot arrogant and ignorant to the plights of their own people. The Guardians are different."

"I did live in luxury, but you're right that I was never taken to the courts. And while I agree most politicians are arrogant, I would disagree most are ignorant. You do not gain any sort of status with ignorance. While I abhor the game it is a necessary part of sustaining this kingdom. They are the ones who are fighting to better the lives of the people in the city, and the King's Guard who enforces their edicts and sustains the peace." Shade leans on the balcony.

"You claim the Guardians are different, and yet they are the ones who rebelled against the king 700 years ago. They have consistently shown their disgust for the monarchy and refuse to submit themselves under higher authority. That is arrogance in its highest form. Where has their arrogance left them but scrounging for food in the wilds and with no sense of etiquette, respect or class."

"Now see, that is the perspective I'm referring to. You say the politicians fight to better the lives of people in this city, but Luina is more than just the city of Andaris. What about the poor, who live off the scraps we don't eat, outside the city walls? How about the people throughout the rest of Helies? Don't you think the nobility should be thinking about them as well? Furthermore, what about the people of Jensen, Rollon and Geraldis?"

Adran turned to face Shade "I mean you no disrespect, Captain. You seem to understand the plights of those less fortunate far more than the other 'diplomats' I was introduced too in my youth, but I ask you to look at the Guardian's predicament more closely. Yes, its true they rebelled and forced the monarchy's hand, but at the same time, that was 700 hundred years ago. Those who rebelled against Luina have been dead for centuries and new brighter minds have taken their place. But of course the people of Luina wouldn't know that, because there's been no direct contact between the two since the Guardians locked themselves away. Until today that is."

Shade nods and smiles at him lightly. "I can see why my fellow Guardsmen call you 'silver-tongued'. However, it makes little difference if you are too weak to withstand the politics of this Kingdom." She looks out across the city. "If you've come to show the King that the Guardians are no longer the brutes and traitors of 700 years ago, you are not off to a very good start. Your men have no sense of proprietary. Their disgust for our kingdom is apparent and as great as our own for them. While I've watched closely, I have seen no proof that they are anything other than the barbarians our people believe them to be." She stands straight and looks Adran in the eye. "Do not judge our kingdom's politicians when you can not manage even a small group of eight."

"One moment of vulnerability does not a weak man make, but I understand your point." He stands up straight to meet his gaze. "I will think upon your words, and I hope you will think upon mine as well. It was a pleasure conversing with you, Captain. If your talent with a blade is as sharp as your intellectual mind, you'll make it far in this profession." He extends his hand in hopes of a handshake.

Shade took his hand and shook it out of a new found respect for this negotiator, as minimal as it was. "I wish you good fortune during the rest of the negotiations. Perhaps, you'll end up surprising us...though I doubt it." She nodded to him and turned away to continue her patrol, her mind abuzz with new thoughts that she did not know what to do with.

Last edited:
[Rufus Andelorn] (Andaris, Helies)
Rufus sat in the center of the study, sifting through his old records. The Campaign of Expulsion led centuries ago by his ancestors was far from a victory, and the Guardians deployed strategetic phenomenon when they maximized their use of surroundings to bottle the Luin army. Later of, the Guardians triumphed in the Battle of Whitewood, granting them sufficient time to complete the construction of the Impregnable Fortress. The Kingdom suffered over ten times the losses as the Guardians.

The king's before him were all just fools, claiming to have knowledge in the arts of warfare and politics. He was glad he was the one to be in power when the Guardians choose to make their move; the first pawn from the Guardian's board has been moved, but they were practically playing into his hand.

In fact the opportunity for checkmate was available to his father, and has grandfather, and the one before that. None of them were brace enough to challenge the Guardians. They made the Kingdom soft, filled with cowardly civilians and incompetent soldiers.

Until now.

The Guardians had given Rufus the perfect opportunity to strike. They sent the perfect bait, and all Rufus had to do was hang it on the line. Adran Triveron was but a mere messenger, speaking in the stead of the current leader of the Fortress.

Rufus knew people well. He saw his father's inability to rule the day his granfather and the new king assumed his throne. His father spoke of great things, things that were too far into the unknown that he dare not have extended his arm into. Once he finally sat in the throne all the promises were flicked aside and forgotten. Rufus knew that the Guardians shared that much in common with him. When they are so close to their desires, they fail to examine the possibilities.

Rufus Andelorn has no intentions in making peace with the Guardians, but his act was necessary in crushing their defenses. When he can establish their trust, he would be the one holding all the game pieces.

But how do I get close enough?

This was the part that frustrated Rufus; the small detail that thwarted the master plan. The flaw in the perfect jewel. It was a mere barrier that was to be trampled on with murderous intent.

But alas, it was all but a mere barrier.

"Horus, fetch me my seal. We are going to contact our friends in the north."

Adding another pawn on the board, one that hated the Guardians for years-- The Northwind Zealots.

Yes, this is the way.

Donovan Blackmoore (Andaris, Helies)

Oddly enough the doctor had not returned to give his speech but, rather he went outside. Donovan curled up in his blanket. The familiar smell of dirt, sweat, and smoke filled his nostrils. Some might have considered it odd that he liked the smell of his bedroll but, he did. At least this was something that he knew would be safe. Anything besides the food he didn’t want from this place.

Early the next morning Donovan kicked his feet a few times. He had the blanket wrapped around his legs and it made moving difficult. Getting out of the bed he ruffled his hair. It was always the same routine in the morning. Rolling the blanket up, he set it aside and made sure that all his things were ready. Donovan wanted to get out of this castle as soon as he could. His walking around was almost amplified on the wood floors. The man had rarely been anyplace that had wooden floors. As a Guardian he had been accustomed to the simple living. All the floors were dirt and it was far quieter when walking around.

Walking must have alerted the others and they soon were up as well. Once more they were led down familiar corridors. Donovan remembered the water bowls and he carefully washed his hands. That was a memorable experience from the day before and he knew that he was terribly out of place here. By the doctor’s response he assumed that it couldn’t have been much worse. Adran hadn’t even attempted to correct him. So far the politician only gave up when it was hopeless.

Despite his frustration with all the expectations that he had obviously failed Donovan knew that this was part of his duty in the envoy. They were supposed to make a good impression. One couldn’t just eat. It was a whole different world and the people here expected certain behaviors at the table.

Donovan watched the doctor carefully. Adran only used his right hand so Donovan set his left hand on his lap except when he needed it for cutting meat. A few times he caught himself reaching with his left hand and then he would put it back on his lap. After a while he gave up trying to look sophisticated and sat on his left hand. It might look awkward, but only the guard behind him and those right next to him would know it.

Apparently one wasn’t supposed to just dive into the food. Taking his time the man did his best to chew as slowly as possible rather than swallowing the food in chunks. Glancing up occasionally he would try to show some interest but, he was watching Adran for some kind of cue.

By the end of the meal he felt more irritated than full. He spent most of it fumbling awkwardly through the meal. Still, Adran had given the impression that this was of great importance. Donovan finished the mead in his goblet and then wiped his fingers on his right hand on the tablecloth. Reaching up with his hand he almost wiped his mouth off and then noticed that Adran had used the tablecloth. Hesitantly Donovan raised the tablecloth to his mouth and wiped around it. He was sorely tempted to eat the bread platter, but that had also been left untouched by the doctor. So wasteful of the nobles to just leave perfectly good food like this to spoil.

Finally the servants came with the bowls again and he washed his hands once more. At least that indicted the strange customs had come to an end. Sighing quietly with relief, Donovan waited for the negotiations to end as the king and Adran continued talking.

Isolde Bennett (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

It has been many days and nights since the group left to Helies to negotiate peace. Isolde was growing more uneasy with each passing day, unable to know what possibly could be going on inside the walls of the Kingdom now belonging to Rufus Andelorn. THWAP, a club struck Isolde playfully in the stomach. Her hand quickly found where the blow had struck, now throbbing with an annoying pain. She looked up at the young kids, approximately 13 years of age, around her, laughing.

"Miss what are you day dreaming about!?" the child who struck her yelled out. "You always told us a warrior should not be distracted on the battlefield. You are not following your own teachings!"

Isolde sighed heavily, she had been thwarted by her very own student. "You are right, I apologize." The woman was appointed to train the children of the Impregnable Fortress by Saxo Vondale some odd years ago. She enjoyed her role, passing her wisdom on and ensuring that if a child was to wander outside of the fortress, that they could protect themselves and that one day they would become strong warriors.

"We are done training for today, kids. Go home, get your rest." Isolde exclaimed, the children cheered and they ran off. She lost herself in thought again about the group that had left and questioned why she had not been asked to accompany them, a skilled warrior herself. An anger began to boil inside her, why had Claius not even asked her? Was she not considered as strong as those who left the fortress? Dammit Isolde, don't let it bother you. It was too late, she was already rushing off to confront Claius.

Last edited:
Claius Vondale (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)
Claius was startled by a jarring crash when his door bursted open. He was in middle of managing the population and supply.. He turned around to see Isolde, angrily facing him.

"Why didn't you send me with them, Clay!?" She challenged defiantly.

"Send what?" Claius asked. The hunting party had already returned from their trip.

"You idiot," she fumed, "you know what I'm talking about. Why didn't you send me with the others to negotiate peace!"

Oh. That. He set his documents down and sighed.

"We discussed this already, Isolde. They volunteered."

Isolde calmed down a bit, the fiery look dying from her eyes. "I'm sorry, I spoke out of line. I'm worried about them, it's been.. a week now? Where are there, and what are we doing here? Nothing!"

"Isolde, calm down. We expected it to be at least a week. It takes at least four days to arrive and the capitol. We have to be patient."

"There has to be something more we can do. What if negotiations go sour and they need help? We should send someone to meet them on their way back. What if they're injured?"

"There's a risk they took when they volunteered. We can't try to take action in our own hands, or we might make it worse. I'm sure they would have made it back by now if something happened."

Isolde invited herself to slump down into a chair, defeated. This was quite normal for her; rashly blurting something out before gradually realizing that she was wrong. "It doesn't feel right to me. I should have went, instead I'm stuck here babysitting" She let out a sigh. "Did we make the right choice Claius?"

He looked out the window. Illya and Adran both were out there, and he preferred not to think about that the worst.

"I hope so," he mumbled.

This must've vexed Isolde, who commented sarcastically "because hope wins wars, right?"

He didn't pay much attention to this, but the words rolled off of his tongue. "I hope so."

Annoyed, she got up and stormed out of the room.

Rajiana Pendragon (Capital Armory, Helies)

After reading for nearly two hours, Rajiana unwraps bread and cheese from the market and sets it on the small table. He climbs up he ladder and shakes Andrin awake. "Time to eat." He says, charitably offering his rations.

Andrin sits up yawning as he takes the food. "Thank you." he proceeds to tear a piece of bread off and a chunk of cheese and eats them together. "What were you reading last night?" he asks between bites of food. "Letters." Rajiana says simply, taking a bite of his bread. Andrin shrugs. "Well your business is your business. What do you think of the Guardians?"

"They aren't my concern." Rajiana states, breaking a corner of the cheese block. "Unless they decide to, I don't know, kill the king." Andrin suggests flatly, wiping crumbs off his blanket.

Looking around briefly, Rajiana returns to tearing the bread off. "That would be bad, considering he funds the armory." he says in a quiet mumble. Andrin sighs in frustration. "You are a hard person to talk to, Rajiana. You don't have to keep up your sellsword act you know." He finishes the bread, plopping the small amount of leftover cheese in his mouth

Rajiana chuckles, "Act? Yes... my masking persona. Tell me, if you didn't get free bread, cheese, warm bed, and a gold coin salary, would you be escorting those savage bastards in the Kings name?" he questions Andrin in his arrogant tone he pulls almost ironically. "Till the day I lay my sword down forever, and then some" Andrin responds without thinking, "I will serve the King and his people no matter what. The free food and bed are just an added bonus." Rajiana keeps a solemn face, but he had amusement in his eyes. "You are not fooling anyone but yourself. You have seen the streets, haven't you. You see the poverty, and all we do is taunt a group of isolated barbarians. How righteous we are for that." he states as he looks Andrin in the eyes with that sarcastic ending.

Andrins face saddens as Rajiana mentions the poverty. "Indeed, I have seen what is out there. That is why I'm here, to make a difference and not simply sit on my ass eating and talking all day. Rarely are problems solved by talking. Sometimes it is needed, yes, but taking action marks the difference between the weak-minded and the strong-willed."

Leaning back against the wall of his bed, Rajiana shakes his head. "That is an interesting perspective. We sit on our ass, eat and talk, and repeat in the name of the man." he states while he finishes the piece of cheese he held in his hand. Andrin hops down from the bed, buckling his sword to his waist. "Then let us stop being hypocrites. There must be something we can do." Once he was finished strapping his sword and adjusting it to a comfortable spot, he walked over and grabbed his armor. Hopping up soon after, Rajiana grabs his wrist. "The thing we can do is charity work, nothing else. Giving a coin to a homeless man is well and good, but questioning the motives of the King is suicide. We can't walk out there and change the world." He says with an unintended vicious glare at him

Andrin pauses, clearly unhappy about the prospect and ignoring Rajiana's glare. "I agree that questioning the king is suicide. However I am tired of these games he plays. I will bring the problem of his people up before him, and he can either take measures to help it, or tell me why he hasn't used his power to help those who need it." He pauses before adding, "Besides, small efforts like charity is all it takes to change the world sometimes."

Letting go, Rajiana sighs. "A soldier demanding answers from a king. Tell me again why he doesn't send you to rot in prison and wipe the dust from his silk sleeve?" He questions in a rhetorical manner.

"Because I have a feeling this King will listen."

Shaking his head while he listens to the words, Rajiana reaches for a bottle of ale from the shelf and pops the cork. "He knows about the issues. What does he do? Welcome foreigners he knows are security risks." He says, as he swigs the booze. "I don't want to visit you in a cell. Think a few steps ahead, please." He says with a rare empathy in his words, as he offers the ale to him.

He accepts the ale, taking a small drink before handing it back. "Perhaps you are right. But I cannot know for sure if I don't try. I don't believe he would arrest me for asking him. The most I would lose from the encounter would be some half-ass answer." He settles back, pondering. "I'll wait for the day to reveal what it has in store before I take any action, if that suits you."

Slouching against the wall before answering, "The most you would loose is your life. The least you would loose is a half assed answer." Rajiana corrects him with a tone of assurance. Andrin shrugs, "Perhaps." He pauses for a moment, thinking about something. He shakes his head slightly, removing the thought. "When do you think command will come and get us?" Rajiana shrugs as well, "Whenever they want us. In the meantime we ought to check out the local shops for pastime I vote." He says, putting his equipment on in case they have an emergency in the town streets, or even spot a stray guardian.

Andrin follows suit. Once he was finished he walks over to the door, opening it and beckoning to Rajiana to go. "After you." He says with a mirthful tone

Tucking a scarf into his helmet to cover his face, Rajiana heads out into the chilled morning of the Early Spring. "First stop is getting some mead from the market." he says as he stretches from reading for a while. Andrin nods in agreement. He walks in silence for a moment before speaking up. "I suppose you wouldn't be interested in telling me a bit about yourself?"

Walking at a lethargic pace down the street, Rajiana takes a deep breath of the cold air. "Save small talk for lunch." He says, and slips quickly into his professionalism persona and sets his pace as he walks down the stone steps.

Last edited:
Shade Bigge (Andaris, Helies; Breakfast in the Dining Hall)

Shade went to bed thinking about her conversation with Adran and woke up thinking about it. Even as she ate her simple breakfast, of bread and fruit. she was thinking about it. Was the situation between the Nobles and commoners really so terrible that even a Noble would leave his life of luxury and status for the ideology of the Guardians? Were the politicians not doing their jobs? Was the suffering of the poor truly their fault? No...she couldn't believe that and yet, there was something wrong enough that a large percentage of people hated the King's Guard and that nobles would leave to seek out the guardians and join their ranks. What then did they really believe? And what made them so appealing to so many nobles.

Clearly there was more to these Guardians than they knew. It still didn't mean she wanted them integrated into the kingdom, but neither did she desire war against them as much as she had before. If anything, she'd become exceedingly curious about the truth behind these Guardians and not just take what she'd grown up hearing for fact.

Again she was invited with the other officers to watch over the negotiations. She stood in the same place as before, once again in eye's view of the barbaric dwarf. Only this meal was far different than the last evening's meal. She observed how he purposefully sat on his left hand so that he might eat with his right, chewed like a normal human, wiped his mouth on the tablecloth and acted, overall, much more like a noble. He even left the bread for the poor alone, though he didn't seem particularity happy about it. Perhaps Adran had taken her words to heart. It seemed they truly were interested in peace and reintegrating into society and not just dishonoring their king. Curious indeed.

Adran Triveron (Andaris, Helies)

As breakfast progressed Adran could only stare in awe as Donovan appeared to be trying his hardest to act like a gentleman. It was only when Illya coughed and indicated towards the king that Adran was reminded of the meeting’s purpose. "So where did we leave off last night my liege? Ah yes, peace negotiations, I hope my explanation of our order proved helpful."

It appears that Rufus was also enamored with Donovan’s newfound manners as he jumped slightly when Adran addressed him. "I have thought about it a lot last night. Perhaps we can move to the study?"

Adran nodded "That's perfectly fine, whenever you are ready." As the monarch rose from his seat Adran whispered to Illya that he’d need to do this part alone. “We’ll rendezvous once he and I come to terms… if I return at all.” His cryptic statement was to keep her on guard as he still didn’t fully trust this man.

The study was a rather marvelous design, Adran couldn’t help but marvel at the architecture as he entered. The King merely took his seat and gestured towards the chair opposite him. "Here we are, please sit." He said as he pulled out a stack of what looked to be official documents.

“Why thank you.” Adran said as he took his seat. "I imagine you must have some questions about the specifics of this alliance?" The king nodded and placed a document in front of Adran. "Yes. I have here the most recent census of the Kingdom. Now if you were to come into Luina again, we have to allocate space for your people. You could, of course, stay at the site of the fortress, but I'm assuming that you want to move out?"

As he spoke Adran studied the census, but he knew it wouldn’t be necessary, he’d spent the remainder of his night creating a suitable idea, and he thought he’d found the perfect agreement. "Actually no, the fortress is a perfectly hospitable location, it would be more than suitable for us to keep that as our base of operations."

Rufus raised an eyebrow at his response. "Is that so? Well then you are more than welcome to stay. However, if you were to change your mind there are territories closer to the villages, and we have land available in Jensen and Rollon as well. Most unfortunately, Helies is not an advisable option.”

Adran figured as much, Helies was the most populated province in Luina and being the central hub of politics, Guardian stigma would be highest within it. "That's understandable. My idea for our terms is for us to combine our strength, I assume you've heard the tales of the Guardians' brilliance on the battlefield, and I'm sure the King's Guard's ranks have grown quite thin from being spread out amongst the provinces."

"I respect your traditions, but in order for our people to accept you your people have to adapt to our ways. It takes everybody's effort, yes?" Adran could only smile as Donovan’s manners this morning had made this next response much more believable. “Absolutely, and as my compatriot Donovan demonstrated today, we are more than willing to adapt to the customs of Luina."

"I have seen the improvement for myself. I can't deny that I am impressed. Perhaps we can work something out" Adran made a note to thank Donovan once the negotiations concluded. "So you decided to stay in Northern Geraldis? It's rather chilly there, so I've heard." Rufus continued.

"Well actually that's what I wanted to discuss. My idea was to use the Guardians' tactical might in an effort to aid the Crown. We would spread out amongst the 3 provinces, keeping the Impregnable Fortress as both our Geraldis base and recruitment center, and help enforce the law of the crown. That way the King's Guard can reinforce Helies."

"Oh? That sounds promising. Providing us with substantial benefits as well? More than your father could have done for sure." Adran raised an eyebrow at that last comment. It seemed Alexius had fallen out of favor with the monarch, either this proves his desire for true peace, or he’s found someone worse to take his father’s place. The latter thought scared him

"This plan would be something I have to see for myself. If it doesn't work, I will expect to be able to transition back to the old. I certainly like the sound of having trained warriors enforcing the other provinces." Rufus added. "Rest assured my liege, if all does not go well we shall be sure to return to the Impregnable Fortress. If that happens I will be sure to return and renegotiate a less ambitious deal." Adran made sure to ease his worries, he couldn’t blame the king for being cautious.

"Certainly. Perhaps we can do something about the fortress as well? The Rollos, if you remember, are experts in matters like architecture. I'm sure they can make some improvements." This request was odd, there was never a point in their previous conversations where Adran had mentioned any weakness in the fortress, so why would Rufus be so interested in its defenses?

"Well I certainly don’t wish to impose, it’s called the Impregnable Fortress for a good reason. But we'll be sure to advise you if we require assistance from the crown. Aside from that, we are your weapons to wield." He tried to parry this offer, nervous about handing the layout of his home to a man he didn’t fully trust.

"Are you sure? Our architects have designed methods to retain heat. I believe it's a good idea to help you out there. Take it as a gift for your allegiance." Denying the King’s insistence may have caused suspicion so Adran chose the safe answer. “Well that's very generous of you my liege, we would gladly accept this gift."

"Excellent. Perhaps send the layout to Lord Rollo when your envoy returns to the fortress. I wish to have our plan take effect as soon as possible. In fact, let us write letters to my men to return back to Helies." Adran mentally breathed a sigh of relief at that, he needed time to consider why the king would truly be so interested in the layout of the fortress.

“That sounds like a grand idea” Adran replied. The two would spend the next several hours, writing this letter and ironing out the specifics of this alliance.

[Illya Lott] Adran Triveron (Andaris, Helios)
"How did it go?" Illya inquired. Adran had just walked out of a one on one with the king, and she had been waiting anxiously for an answer.

"Rather well." Adran said vaguely. "Can we take this conversation someplace private?"

He paused, before adding, "the walls have ears."

Donovan frowned. "If the walls grow ears then they may as well grow noses to sniff out skunks and eyes to watch."

Adran shook his head impatiently. "Look can we just take this somewhere else? I don’t want anyone hearing this but all of you."

Illya propped herself up. "Lead the way."

Adran led them back into the dorms that they slept in the night before. "Gregerson, have one of your boys take watch outside the door. If anyone comes by turn them away."

Gregorson nodded. "You're the boss." He motioned one of his cronies to follow him outside. Adran shut the door behind them.

"So things went very well, we've come to an agreement that would work best for both sides..." He pondered for a moment. "But we're going to wait until he takes action before I decide to fully trust him."

"Work for both sides...At what cost?" Donovan grumbled.

"Compromise. We'll take the roll of the King's Guard in the three provinces outside Helies. The Guardians are warriors, this allows us to put those skills to good use, and have free reign to live throughout the kingdom."

Illya smiled at this. It sounded like a fair trade for both sides, and her heart warmed at the thought of being able to finally explore more outside the fortress. Even though they were under the constant fear of danger, she never had as much fun as the week they were out on the trip.

"We still don't trust him though?" Illya asked. This puzzled her greatly, because Adran had been fierce in advocating for peace, but now he seemed to be the most skeptical about it, even more than Donovan. "I expected you to be the quickest to."

"And what does the king get? I don't think he would just let us guard the region. Replace the guard." Huffs.

"The king gets the full force of the Kings Guard to reinforce Helies, and our elite warriors maintaining order in his realm much more effectively than his King's Guard ever could." Adran turned his attention toward Illya. "As for why we dont trust him, actions speak louder than words, and until I see him take action, I'm going to continue to assume he's extending one hand while holding a knife in the other."

"Sounds fair." She replied. "Do we need to do anything?" There was probably little she could've done for Adran, but she thought she might've asked.

"For now, we head home and relay the message to the Guardians. The king wants the schematics of the fortress sent to Rollon. But that's something that I can discuss with Claius."

This startled Illya. Why would he need the layout of the fortress? Even she didn't know it well enough in the back of her head.

"The lay out of the fortress!" Donovan growled, adding in a low tone. "I'd tell him to go to hell."

Adran raised his eyebrow. "Which is why you're not the negotiator," he replied tartly, "and why we don’t trust him. Our actual plan is to go home and tell the Guardians to be prepared for both options."

Donovan nodded. "Oh well, that's a little more reasonable."

Illya didn't want to think bad of the king, at this point. Hoping that there was good reason for needing the layouts, she picked herself up and clapped her hands together. "Alright, then let's start packing. I'm sure Claius can figure out the rest when we get back"

The packing took a while, Donovan already prepared to leave. Illya could also see Esra's excitement to return back home. She smiled to herself as she bundled up her own belongings. She missed everyone back in the fortress herself, but was equally excited to tell them what changes were going to happen in result of their talks with the king. After everyone got the wagon ready, they were greeted with the king, who had just came out of the castle.

"How about we have a last meal before you go?" Rufus inquired. He smiled warmly, and Illya found him hard to refuse.

Adran took initiative. "Are you sure my liege? You've been more than hospitable enough already, we don’t wish to impose."

"I'll be more than happy to.” Rufus said.

"Well then I see no reason not to." Adran replied. "Shall we?" He looked at Illya and the others.

"I don't see a problem." Illya said. "We should be quick about it though"

"Agreed." Donovan agreed quickly. Illya raised her eyebrow, amused.

"I have already withdrew my men from the other provinces." Rufus said conversationally. He struck his fist on his palm as he remembered something. "Actually, here is my royal seal. They'll let you pass if you present it to them."

Good idea, Illya thought. She was delighted to hear the speed that the king was enacting the new plan, but more importantly, he already was showing that he intended to carry through with their alliance.

"That's very kind of you," Adran said, "thank you very much."

Lunch was quiet. Illya beamed approvingly as she watched Donovan display his table manners. They all have quickly adapted to the new etiquette required of the Luins, and even the king has rang his approval of their ability to change. The meal was delicious, and Illya knew she would miss the luxurious lifestyles of the royal family. To think that they get to eat this every day... Amazing.

The king escorted the group to the front, and, as Illya noticed, he didn't bring any guards but his Commander at Arms this time. It was one of those combat details that she was quick in picking up, but she knew it was to develop trust between the two groups.

"I have prepared you provisions for your return," Rufus announced, "in case you needed them."

"Oh no, my liege," Adran politely replied. "I simply must refuse for the sake of propriety. The fact that you're even offering is more than enough to warm my heart, but I don’t wish for the other nobles to think you weak for showering gifts on a long hated enemy." Illya wanted to jab Adran at the side for declining the food, but decided to sty quiet. In the back of her head, she knew it was the responsible thing to do, being the guests.

"I acknowledge your concerns," the king said, shooing his servant away. "Very well; safe travels, my friend."

Illya hopped on her horse and patted him gently on the side. They made it quite far before she turned around and looked at the king one last time, who was still standing there, watching as they left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donovan Blackmoore (Helies)

Despite the fact that they were being allowed to freely leave the castle and city, Donovan still cast a wary eye toward the guards. They may as well have been escorted out for how closely the guards were watching them. If they were to be allies he didn’t want to be subjected to this. True neither party trusted the other, but it still didn’t change that it made him feel like a criminal. As the small group rounded the corner and found themselves in the streets Donovan almost had to laugh again. It was simply amazing. The city streets were filled with merchants. Almost every imaginable luxury was displayed. Some of the items he couldn’t quite see the use of. However, the purpose of a luxury item wasn’t always useful and that was why it was for the rich. Only the rich could afford to waste their money on something that was for beauty rather than purpose.

There was no time for the little man to stop and examine the wares. The fortress needed to hear the result. Adran seemed to have given the impression that it may have sounded fine, but there was a possible danger. Donovan could admire that small dose of practicality from the other man. All the same it didn’t mean that he liked the methods of negotiation.

Slowly the horses plodded along. Even if he should have wanted to ride faster the city was incredibly busy during the day. Hordes of hopeful sellers pressed on either side though none seemed to offer to sell to Donovan. Looking down at his clothes he realized for the first time that they were plain, poor, and rough. All the Guardians dressed this way and he’d never seen the need for anything else. His right hand rested on one leg while the left hand held the reins.

As beautiful as the fine cloth was Donovan hardly found it tempting when the merchants held it up. The clothing was neither warm nor resilient enough to last in Geraldis. At long last they were coming near the gates and then he spotted the one thing he did want. Since they hadn’t taken the extra provision they would need a reliable food source. Geraldis was still sparse in supply and a dog if it was tempted would follow. They were easy creatures to entice. Reaching into the satchel hanging from the side of the saddle Donovan tossed a morsel of bread. The animal darted out to nibble the bite.

Donovan continued tossing out little crumbs until they were out of the city. By now the animal followed behind his horse dutifully. It seemed to think that it had found a food source. A broad smile came to Donovan’s face. He liked dogs. Domestic animals were far easier to capture and eat than the wild ones.

Another long day in the saddle had left Donovan a bit sore. He wasn’t as sore as he had been the first few days on the way to Helies. About time he would be used to riding they would be back at the fortress. If it wasn’t for the need to hasten the trip he would have preferred walking.

Faithfully the dog followed behind Donovan while he set up camp and gathered dry wood for the fire. Occasionally he would toss food but, he made sure to drop it closer and closer to himself to lure the animal until it was eating from the palm of his hand. He couldn’t really see the point in keeping the animal any longer. It was essentially fresh meat travelling with them, but he would waste food to keep the dog around. No point in feeding perfectly good food to a walking chunk of food.

Leading the animal back into the camp Donovan fed it a few more bites of bread. Now that he was sure the dog was more comfortable he gradually reached out with a gloved hand to pet it. At first the animal shied away and then it accepted the attention. The Guardian moved in closer with a knife in his other hand.

Sniffing at the blade the dog wagged its tail and started to nudge the outstretched hand as if it should produce more food.

Donovan grinned and pet the dog with the hand that typically held food. While he pet the dog it wagged its entire body and tried to snuffle at his hand some more. “Oh just stop it.” This was the only part that he didn’t like about making a dog stew. Usually the animal acted so innocent and sweet. Still this was about food not friendship. Gradually he moved his knife hand to the dog’s throat and rubbed gently. Instinctively the animal sniffed at the knife and then stretched its head upward. That was the cue that Donovan had been waiting for.

The hide from the animal was pitiful. Poor dog had been covered in fleas and the coat wasn’t much good. Next Donovan gutted the creature and threw the entrails into the outstretched hide. He could throw those out of camp.

Painstakingly Donovan carved the meat off the bones. He even took the time to strip the meat from the skull of the dog. When he finished Donovan took the meat and carcass out of camp. The meat he rinsed in the river and the carcass along with other remains were left for the wild animals. Once he returned to the camp Donovan began to throw the meat into a kettle. A little bit of herb and savory grasses summoned a divine aroma.

Finally he returned to the river to gather a little bit of water to add into the kettle. Donovan plucked a chunk of raw meat out of the kettle and licked it. An intense expression came to his face and then he nodded. “Hmm….That’ll do.”

By dark he had a fine pup stew. Putting his head over the kettle he breathed deeply. “This counts as my meal for the trip home.” At least he wouldn’t have to cook again. Shoveling large servings into each bowl he grinned. Finally Donovan had his own served and he happily began to eat the meat. Almost humming with each bite he finally noticed that at least one member of the envoy didn’t appear to know what they were eating. “Dog. It makes for a fine meal. Haven’t had any since the last time I decided to venture close to a town.”

Esra T. Montaque
( Heiles )

She had followed her companions in silence, and sat peacefully by the others with a bowl of the strange meat in hand. As Esra took a bite, she heard what he said and practically chocked on her meal. After beridding herself of the sputtering coughs, her gaze turns sharply to Donovan: "What?"

She shoved the bold away from herself and towards some of the companions that did not seem nearly as bothered as she did. "I believe... I've lost my appetite... please tell me you at least killed it quickly or found it dead, Donovan..."

Donovan Blackmoore (Helies)

Donovan frowned at all the choking and noise that Esra made over it. "W-Well I told you its dog." The woman was completely over reacting. A bit bewildered he watched as she pushed the bowl away from herself. Leaning to the side Donovan reached for the bowl. If she wasn't going to eat then he would. Otherwise there were plenty of others that so far didn't seem to have any complaints about the food. It tasted quite delicious in his opinion.

Looking up at Esra his eyebrows raised slightly. "It was fast. I slit the dog's throat." He didn't want to have the animal tensed before he killed it. That made for a less delicate taste. There was something about the meat if the animal struggled. Usually it wasn't quite as tender and if they sensed doom there would be the rush in their heart and it gave the meat an odd taste. "Don't worry the dog didn't even know it." Donovan shook his head and passed the bowl to Adran. "You want anything extra since she doesn't want to finish it?"

Last edited:
Adran Triveron (Helies)

Adran merely smiled at the two of them. He found himself in higher spirits after leaving the capital. Not just because he could finally put all of that stress behind him, but also because he had Rufus Andelorn figured out now. The man played his hand far too heavily today, Adran knew the king was intelligent and cunning, he displayed that much during their numerous conversations, so why would he shower gifts upon a former enemy that out of the blue decided to make peace? The answer is he wouldn't, unless he was trying to lull the Guardians into a false sense of security.

He'd seen his father use the same trick on a hated rival. He was 14 at the time and this rival had come to create a truce with his father so they could destroy a mutual enemy. The problem was that his father had already struck a much more beneficial deal with said enemy. Alexius did exactly as the King had done this morning, agreed to every suggestion put forth without negotiation and showered the rival with gifts as they were about to depart. The next day, the rival's body was found in the river with no head. Rufus was going to stab the Guardians in the back, and Adran was going to make sure the king would be bitterly disappointed with the results.

As Donovan passed Esra's bowl towards him, he politely declined. "I've more than enough here myself, I figure you deserve more because of the effort you put in today. Thank you for that Donovan, you were never ordered to adapt to the noble's customs but you did it anyway. I'm sincerely grateful to you for that." He felt the most genuine smile he'd had since leaving the fortress appear on his face, and leaned back to gaze at the stars for a while. After the mess he was last night, this was a wonderful way to end a day.

Deliciae Lycanthae (Inn, Helies)

She sits back in a chair, she had her own room to sleep in. It had been a while since she lost grip on Rajiana, he ran off a long time ago to a celebration of some sort. Maybe he had a reason, but she was left startled and alone in the street as they walked with an officer to the celebration. She shook these thoughts away, she had to forget it. She was free here, and she had her legal right to leave. Still, she felt a slight homesickness due to her empathy for her uncle. Oh well she thought, there was no possible way he would be lonely with the priests and officials crowding his study. This was her chapter in life, and she intended to enjoy it.

With the candles burning bright, she began to write poetry on her parchment. There was no need to work, since she had plenty of money in her coin pouch to live on for a long while, but she felt bored sitting there in the room. It was like sitting in her room at the cathedral, but without the company of her uncle who read books day and night. Deciding to go downstairs for tea, she felt a homesickness for the fragrant teas of her home.

She opens the door, her hand grasping the warm brass doorknob. She locked it behind her, and walked downstairs as she tries to clear her mind. There was something about the atmosphere of the inn that was isolated and calm, like she never left her room. She requests a cup of hot water, and the lady behind the counter pours her a ceramic cup full from the wood stove. Pouring some white tea leaves sparingly and let them settle, she swishes the water with a spoon while lost in thought as the color darkens.

"Thank you, madam." She asks, offering a small silver coin for the tea. The lady accepted the shiny silver, "I take it you are far from home." She asks curiously. Deliciae nods, "Geraldis, Insulae." She answers with a solemn tone. The lady raises an eyebrow, "That is a long journey. You must have had good reason then." She says as she dusts the windows. "Unannounced as well. I plan to send a letter." Deliciae says, and sips the tea. A letter to Imperious Lycanthae, she thinks to herself.

Isolde Bennett (Impregnable Fortress, Geraldis)

“That was an entire waste of my time”
Isolde thought to herself as she left the war room and exited the building into the street. The woman sighed and leaned against the cold stone of the wall. “Why did I have to lose my temper like that? Claius is just hoping that everything will work out when he should be making preparations for an imminent war.” Isolde crossed her arms against her chest, contemplating the meeting that Saxo held just over a week ago; the conversations repeating in her head. She thought about Adran taking a stand against the commander, disagreeing with his idea to wage war against Rufus Andelorn “valiant man" she thought. Isolde’s brow furrowed as she thought about why Adran had raised disagreement with taking back what belongs rightfully to the Guardians.

“Could we really have a chance at peace, after all of these years being outcasted and ridiculed as horrendous monsters?” Isolde stared at the dirt around her feet, her eyes softening and misty. “Our ancestors fought for those fools a millennium ago, why wouldn’t we want to take our chance to overthrow them? Why would we risk our people to seek peace when war is unavoidable.” The woman clenched her hand into a fist, turned her body sharply and threw her closed hand into the side of the building. Her fist fell open and lied flat against the building, her head hung and her body heavy “maybe there could be more for our people rather than living confined behind walls, training children to become murderers, and scrounging for food. Maybe Claius was right to trust Adran; maybe hope is all we need.”

Isolde pushed off against the wall, turned, and walked away from the building. Until the woman knew for sure what the future had to hold, she would continue to complete her role inside the fortress and ensure their generation’s young people were prepared to carry the Guardians' history on with them if needed. Isolde smiled and headed toward the training quarters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back