What Do You Like or Dislike In a Character?

I wouldn't so much say that my characters and worlds are a reflection of me personally, as they are my interests, values, ideas, knowledge, and so on.
That is essentially what I meant, although I could have been more clear. I was saying that characters are a reflection on the player as in their preferences and aesthetic, but "They are also a critical story factor and pivot." What I meant by this was not that the character morals are the same as the players, but that players should make sure their character doesn't ruin the almighty plot with their preferences and aesthetic. Thank you for adding clarification, because I threw that in there without the correct context.

I remember being a novice writer in my early teens writing "totally original characters do not steal" and being overly defensive of my creations too.
I think that describes just about everyone. I used to make god-awful borderline god modded characters. I am still growing as a writer, but I cringe when I think back to when I was like that. Really, there isn't much of a reason for cringing at it so much. I wasn't experienced enough to know my mistakes.

oooooo i remember the days of being a novice, only writes four lines, totally original only one gender and sexuality and similiar tropes characters.

Aka me at thirteen l m a o

Anyway, heck now i write such morbid, twisted, manipulative characters that previous me would die lol. However, those characters arent me, to an extent, and i like to think that most people know the difference between fiction and reality.

Cliches can be used pretty well too, i think i just cringe at really bad writing itself

I like it when you stick to your Character, and make it clear of what he/she/it is and have a easy way to identify. Not being overly complex. A easy but poor example would be the Hulk - He's big, uses few words and smashes everything. The foundation of the character, what define the character must be clear. If that happens to be being mysterious its fine.
So what i dont like is when then a Character goes off the usual track and goes for example from calm, thinking tactical ranger one day to polar opposite - frothing screaming berserker in ranger clothing. Would make sense if there was a massive character development in between, but i mean more like is if the character is bi-polar.

Also Mary-sues.

I guess my biggest peeves in a roleplay are when characters are portrayed as:
1. Invincible (come on now no one died from getting a little roughed up now and again)
2. Mary-sue characters
3. The character whines/cries/throws a tantrum as their way out of EVERY situation
4. Are given specific physical attributes (I'm real big on anatomical cohesiveness) without explaining the reason
5. Overly clingy characters who try too hard to bed another at every point in the roleplay (I've had one too many bad experiences with this.)

Oy. I haven't done nearly as much roleplaying as creative writing online, but the same kinds of characters keep cropping up and annoy the hell out of me. I've never liked characters with so much backstory that every time they talk they have to make another dramatic revelation- it distracts from the plot and gets grating very quickly. I also find myself toeing the line between writing characters who are motivated by their relationships to the people and events around them, which I like, and characters who

I've recently started getting irked at female characters (especially the protagonist) being written as this generic 'Strong Female Character' which seems to mean has to be exceedingly aggressive, "not like other girls" (I HATE that very phrase with every bone in my body), and unfailingly stubborn. They also tend to lack any personality. Like I really want to see a cast of diverse female characters all with different strengths and weaknesses and driving forces and I want them to have agency and struggles and to support one another and have amazing friendship and basically I just want some female characters to be developed...

The ones that are really made out to be all bad ass and the next Jason Stathem, when they're really just Shaquille O'Neal Premium.

I like characters that are open to interpreting and adapts to the plot but doesn't necessarily play by the rules of the writer.

I dislike characters who are unreasonable... like those horrible parents who are like:
Parent: Go do *task*
Child: But I have a huge project!
Parent: I don't care! I said do it now do it! We never ask you to do anything around this house.
Child: You ask me to do everything... actually... it's like I'm your slave. *actually does do everything*
I hope that makes sense XD I think I did an eh job explaining.

Hmm.. As far as peeves go, I find it exceedingly difficult to progress story with one-sided/super standoffish characters. If the character doesn't care about anything at all (except perhaps, not caring about things) it can make things very stale very fast. That being said, a well-rounded standoffish or outwardly stoic character can be a very fun puzzle as far as character interactions go.

I also love characters with interesting flaws that don't immediately turn into constant sob stories..

I'm having a hard time with this one, because I think there's always some sort of exceptions to my pet peeves. I start out thinking about something that I dislike, and then remember someone in the past who played a character like that in a manner that fit well with the plot/setting/other character.

This is all super helpful for refreshers on things to possibly stay away from or strive for.

I dislike flawless characters that never falter in the face of anything. In my opinion, characters without flaws are characters without growth. Flaws make them who they are, whether it cripples them or gives them the drive to better themselves in an effort to purge it from their person. It's why I try my best to make my OC's have realistic flaws pertaining to their backstory so it's something they overcome (or fall to) as the story progresses.

Last edited:
I'm fine with role-playing with a character who's a nice guy, jerk, villain, any of that stuff. But if they're a Mary Sue, I'm just waiting 'til the end.

Back