What inspires your writing and roleplaying?

My best friend. Without him wanting me to RP I probably wouldn't have gotten into it. Whenever he invites me to a new forum I make sure to dedicate time out of my day not matter what is going on in my life, just so I make sure not to disappoint him.

I enjoy playing around with words, attempting to create atmosphere, to capture the scenes inside my head and illustrate them to the best of my ability. As for what inspires me to do so, it's a mixture. Mainly, I'll have an idea for a particular place and time and use writing as a tool to explore it, as such I greatly enjoy historical settings, science fiction, fantasy, just about anything that requires a bit more thought than the here and now. After all, we're creatures stuck in the moment, so the ability to escape somewhere fresh and new, to exist outside of time, to indulge in the lives of imaginary people while simultaneously having brought them into existence, really fuels the imagination. It all starts with a simple 'what if?' and unfurls from there.

Honestly, I get inspired by other people's work. It's borderline derivative, but I try to keep the things I use so varied that it isn't quite ripping anyone off. And I absolutely adore AUs. They're some of the best ways for me to expand my characters' personalities and reactions. I'm not exactly the most original person, so I honestly just look at other people's ideas and ask "What could I do with that?"

Honestly I just get inspired by my imagination. Ideas often come in my head very easily and very quickly. I could have watched an episode of a random show and suddenly I have an idea for like an entire book or something. I guess ideas just come to me from my surroundings and imagination and that fuels me to write. The only problem is having too many ideas and not finishing them.

I tend to be inspired by settings, and use them as a base to create my plots and characters. For this reason, I absolutely adore worldbuilding, and it's always an integral part of my stories.

The usual sources. Other fiction. What ifs. Escapism. Dreams. Yes. Dreams. I have written a few stories (well STARTED writing) based on something from a dream. I sometimes want to resurrect and expand on the surreality of one of them, but I'll never be able to convey everything that I felt or saw in that dream because the sensory experience is incomparable.
Usually I am more interested in building a world than writing a story, though. Perhaps that is why I prefer straight up role-play to simply writing.

Ooooh what inspires me? Whelp, the endless possibility of what our characters do, cause we control what can happen. Our universes are our own, and whatever we make is alive in our minds; I love to envision scenarios for the many Rps that I partake in, so it inspires me to write larger paragraphs and more descriptive statements, for the sake of letting my partner know what I see (or at least close to what I see).

The concept of writing a story with someone and actually being in the story is thrilling to me, and it helps me get in touch with my more creative self x3
Perhaps its my deep sated desire for life in the fantasy world, but at least I can quell some of it by being in that life mentally, at least for the precious hours that I'm submerged in my Rp world.

Let's see...
*Searches for inspiration*
*Fails miserably*
*Tries again...*
To be honest, I find inspiration everywhere. Whether it's my own mind, a random thought, or watching a person across the street (definitely not a stalker...), it's all there. Most of the time, I get my ideas from real life situations/problems, other's work and from my own brain. I'm a creative person that likes to think outside-the-box but then has the need to make things "perfect", so sometimes new ideas can be hard to come up with.

When that happens, I just ask my sister or my friends. They always help me come up with good ideas, which is why I always end up going to them. These are just my main examples on how I'm inspired to do my work, but like I said before, I find inspiration everywhere. :3

I take most of my inspiration from stories that others have written, (obviously not Plagiarizing but thinking within the same universe) but other then that my dreams.

A genuine enjoyment of certain genres or storytelling tropes, combined with certain feelings or experiences I want to share with others through the medium of fiction.

Finding out obscure details of my favourite fandom(s) is probably one of the biggest. There are times when I find out something that I didn't know before, but something clicks in my head and I just want to write it. As I'm in the Tolkien fandom, I find playing LOTRO to be a good inspiration for my writing and I've found out a lot more playing that than just reading the books (details are sadly very easily missed that way.) Learning about history and mythology plays a big part in it too because it helps me with coming up with storylines and backstories for characters. Nature and changing seasons also play a huge part in my writing.

I'm not sure if anything inspires it really. I sort of just go with the flow and it kind of...works.

When I'm GMing I have to actually get inspiration from somewhere, and well...I don't want to reveal my source of inspiration because it might ruin some of my future campaigns, but rest assured, it's stupid.

Ooooh what inspires me? Whelp, the endless possibility of what our characters do, cause we control what can happen. Our universes are our own, and whatever we make is alive in our minds; I love to envision scenarios for the many Rps that I partake in, so it inspires me to write larger paragraphs and more descriptive statements, for the sake of letting my partner know what I see (or at least close to what I see).

The concept of writing a story with someone and actually being in the story is thrilling to me, and it helps me get in touch with my more creative self x3
Perhaps its my deep sated desire for life in the fantasy world, but at least I can quell some of it by being in that life mentally, at least for the precious hours that I'm submerged in my Rp world.
I couldn't have said it better. That's basically it for me too, though sometimes events in real life will be inspiration and part of a plot when they can be worked in.

Reading other people's role-plays help a lot. Loooking at a well painted character art can inspire me to write a well detailed posts.Looking at such art is huge inspirationfor me personally because my usual my own imagination I can create plots for future role-role-plays.

Also reading books helps a lot as well. Especially if I like the writing style of the author.

Back