What Language do you speak?

Mai_able

Forest Faerie
I love language in general, and even though English is my first I suck at it XD.

What language(s) do you speak? Is it an everyday thing or for certain occasions?

I speak English, Spanish, and Chinese.
I speak English as my first so it's mostly every day. Spanish is more for my in-laws, and relatives (and the kiddos to learn), Chinese is for fun and also because I'm a business Major.

Same on sucking at English. I speak bits and pieces of Spanish, German, Japanese, and French. Bits and pieces of them.

English is my first language and I consider myself to be quite the artist when it comes to descriptive writing, poetry, imagery, etc.

I'm working on learning Japanese now (mostly self-taught from anime and Vocaloid/J-pop xD) and use some phrases in my everyday speech. I can translate some simple things on the spot and understand the structure enough to put together sentences, but I'm not really fluent yet.

There's times when I mix up which language I'm using, especially when I'm singing. At this point I've made the most of that by turning it into my distinct style; bi-lingual original works and switching between languages for certain parts of songs (for example, the chorus will be in Japanese but the rest of the song is in English).

I've managed to get to the point where I can sing The Fox's Wedding without getting tongue-tied. (Fair warning; the video/lyrics are in Japanese but are kinda disturbing, sorry about that. I just think it's kind of impressive that I can sing that fast.)

I'll also be taking Spanish in high school because I have to lol

English is my first language and I consider myself to be quite the artist when it comes to descriptive writing, poetry, imagery, etc.

I'm working on learning Japanese now (mostly self-taught from anime and Vocaloid/J-pop xD) and use some phrases in my everyday speech. I can translate some simple things on the spot and understand the structure enough to put together sentences, but I'm not really fluent yet.

There's times when I mix up which language I'm using, especially when I'm singing. At this point I've made the most of that by turning it into my distinct style; bi-lingual original works and switching between languages for certain parts of songs (for example, the chorus will be in Japanese but the rest of the song is in English).

I've managed to get to the point where I can sing The Fox's Wedding without getting tongue-tied. (Fair warning; the video/lyrics are in Japanese but are kinda disturbing, sorry about that. I just think it's kind of impressive that I can sing that fast.)

I'll also be taking Spanish in high school because I have to lol

Super Awesome that you've learned Japanese

English is my first language, but I'm from Britain so like I put the letter U in places some people aren't used to seeing them!

My grandma taught me French since I was 4 so I think I'm pretty good at that too, but she passed away a couple years back and I haven't had much practice so I'm slowly declining :emoji_sweat:

I learned German too at school but it's been over a decade since then so I can only remember the funny-sounding words like Krankenwagen:emoji_sweat_smile:

I also know BBCode, but that's not exactly a spoken language lol

English is my first language, but I'm from Britain so like I put the letter U in places some people aren't used to seeing them!

My grandma taught me French since I was 4 so I think I'm pretty good at that too, but she passed away a couple years back and I haven't had much practice so I'm slowly declining :emoji_sweat:

I learned German too at school but it's been over a decade since then so I can only remember the funny-sounding words like Krankenwagen:emoji_sweat_smile:

I also know BBCode, but that's not exactly a spoken language lol

BBCode is language ofc not one I know lol But language is language!!

I've lived in the US my whole life and I do that as well. For example, my family says "color", I say "colour". (Autocorrect just tried to tell me "colour" was incorrect because I live in the US. Seriously?) I also use two L in some words that have been Americanized to only have one, like "traveling" vs "travelling".

There's also the "grey" vs "gray" debate. I use "grey" because the "e" sound is pronounced the same as the Japanese "e" and I'm more used to "A" sounding like "ah". Even though I'm a native English speaker. Idk why

I even add U to some Japanese words that are often written without it, like using "sayounara" vs the common "sayonara". It's a minor difference and only slightly changes how it's pronounced.

Why are languages like this xD

I've lived in the US my whole life and I do that as well. For example, my family says "color", I say "colour". (Autocorrect just tried to tell me "colour" was incorrect because I live in the US. Seriously?) I also use two L in some words that have been Americanized to only have one, like "traveling" vs "travelling".

Oh wow! I've never met anyone from the US who does that!

Interesting tidbit you might know already, but from what I heard the reason those letters were removed was to save printing costs! I guess us Brits just didn't catch on :emoji_sweat_smile:

I always wonder if people think I can’t spell because of my British spelling, so for some time on my Instagram I would use American English. I stopped that when people I knew found me aha!

My first language is Gujarati but I suck at it! I don’t consider myself skilled at English either. I understand some Urdu, which is usually the case for people of southern Asian background (due to Bollywood).

My family also hates the fact that I've started saying some things differently after watching some Australian YouTubers for a while.
For example, pronouncing "H" differently. Not quite sure how to explain it but there's a difference.

A few things America does differently that's just confusing;

I keep getting "fries" and "chips" messed up, thanks America for being so different from the rest of the world lol
Football and soccer. Why are they switched in America? Just why? FOOTBALL. FOOT. BALL. You use your feet to maneuver the ball, it's football, WHY DO WE CALL IT SOCCER OMG-
Biscuits are biscuits, quit calling everything "cookies" what the heck America?

There is also a mildly infuriating translation error in an anime I'm watching where they can't decide if it's tea or coffee. ... How does this even happen?

Okay I'm done ranting now.

I'm not fond of English, besides it being a commonly known language and useful since I live in the US. I find it over-complicated and irritating. I know country English (like the words ain't and y'all) more of a dialect than language. I also know Patwa (no idea how to spell it) but my mum and some of her fam are from jamaica so they speak that, hella hard to get rid of. I hate slang English, it's stupid in my opinion, and confusing. I love British English it's super adorbs.

As for Spanish, there are so many different types of Spanish it's a pain.

And Chinese I know both modern and the older dialect.

Also while on the topic of mildly infuriating translations, does anyone else HATE how English dubs change everyone's names?

Tokyo Mew Mew. That is Ichigo. Why are you calling her "Zoe"? What reason is there? They even call one of the Mew Mew girls "Lettuce" the entire time for god's sake! Zacro's name was changed to Renee, I believe. AND THEY KEPT MINT'S NAME THE SAME.

Everyone's names in Cardcaptor Sakura were changed, EXCEPT SAKURA and a few random characters we don't care about. Who the heck is Madison? Oh, you mean TOMOYO?! Also, in the same anime, they don't pronounce the "r" sound correctly for the entire. Dub. The Japanese language has a half-rolled "r" that is known for being difficult for English speakers to pronounce. BUT that doesn't mean you can pronounce "Sakura" wrong the entire time! It's not "Sa-KUR-a", it's "Sa-ku-RA".

Also, Shinigami-san being translated simply as "Death" throughout the entire Soul Eater anime. Not "The Grim Reaper" as it should be, just "Death". In the same anime dub, missed opportunity to call Kid "Kiddo" for the whole anime because that's how it's pronounced in the original Japanese. ALSO Kurona's name was changed to "Crona", just slightly changing the pronunciation!

screams

Ah yes, languages... Don't really know many of them myself. In fact, I only know two.
As a Dutchman, my primary language is Dutch! Been speaking it for all my life, so, yeah. Can't say I'm bad at it at least.
And well, as you can see, I can speak English too. Else I wouldn't be here, I suppose :^)

I am native in Danish, a very useless language to learn unless you live in Denmark or in the north part of Germany in which they speak the mixed language of Danish/German.

I see myself as an advanced speaker of the Norwegian language since 1/4 of my family is from Norway and so it is my second language before English.
I should add that Norwegian have two languages, the south part which is a dyslexic bastardization of Danish, in its written form, which is why I can read and understand it. North Norway is however impossible for me to understand, they have language that has Russian influence and that makes it impossible to understand unless you are from the north.

Third and mostly self-learned is English, which I am fluent in speaking but adept in writing. I started learning English on my own at the age of 10, and I used it daily now, with friends from all over the world.

Four languages I am learning on my own and I am still in the beginner stage is German, I hate the grammar of the German language but I want to learn more since I plan to live in Germany some years from now.

I can also understand Swedish fairly well because one of my moms sisters lives in Sweden and Swedish is very close to the Norwegian language.

Last edited:
I only speak English, but at school we're forced to learn French, latin, and Spanish next year.
I wanna learn Japanese so bad though, but unfortunately I suck at learning languages.
the best I can do is say 'where is the ice cream,' but idek how to write it, just say it haha.

Back