What ruins A Role-play the most for you?

You know. I like using my character and hogging the spotlight. But only when needed.
When you hog the attention constantly it gets rather awful to bear.
Yeah i have been in roleplays thats more custom made, so no clear rules and whatnot, and at one time one person kept the spotlight on himself for a entire hour. The exchange between GM and him (they were best friends) was a nightmare. I acted as a comedy relief for the party out of sheer boredom for the rest of the short time we had left, and never returned to the RP, asking the GM to hang my character from a building.

Personally, what ruins roleplay for me is the following:
~When they have loads of characters but no personality.
~When their characters are overpowered.
~When they rip things from other franchises.
~When we're in my world and their characters don't suit my world's rules, even when I've reminded them of the rules (such as law of magic, or the fact that tokyo ghoul's ghouls don't exist in my story).
~When they're presented as mentally ill, but they don't present it properly. The most common examples are Yanderes that know they're Yanderes. Stop. They do not know that they are Yanderes.

But what really ticks me off is when they're literally ABUSING my characters. I remember on my first roleplaying platform, my character suffered from extremely severe mental illnesses. But his lover would just use them against him! My character used him as a sex slave and didn't properly take care of him, but to make it worse, would purposely exploit the mental disorders he knew he had, such as threatening to break up with him, or joking about cheating on him with his brother, despite him having borderline personality disorder, and he KNEW that! If you're going to have your character be in a proper relationship with somebody, you need to heed to their needs and not use them against him!
People like that are the worst, in my opinion...

What ruins roleplays most for me is when there is too much planning and not enough spontaneity, or they don't give me enough to work with, or if they have no imagination.

I really dislike it when someone has a tastleless character, or when someone tries to roleplay way too fast

Personally, other members dismissing or just plain ignoring a player and their character(s) for whatever reason (whether they believe the character to be unimportant, uninteresting or the roleplay is just plain clique-y) really upsets me, despite them trying to get involved. Of course, there are exceptions-- for example, if someone is being disruptive to the roleplay and refusing to heed warnings from other players or the GM, then dismissing their character's actions is definitely justified, but otherwise it's just upsetting.

Many of the things I see posted above grind my gears, but that's it. This is one of the things that really, really upsets me. No one deserves to be left out just because. Why advertise a roleplay as "open" if you aren't making an effort to be welcoming and accepting?

Personally I don't like rude characters. Of coure, there are lots of personalities, even mental disorders that make you this way, but I can't find any exception for just straightforward a**holes and douchebags. They are rude just for being rude and edgy, despite that my character did nothing wrong and even didn't say anything!
I do not like straight copying from fandoms/games/anime either. A slight inspiration - of course, I use it myself, sometimes without even realizing but I do not understang beating dead Harry Potter horse and stuffing magic and other things from this everywhere. HP is a plague for good fantasy.

1. Babies! 'Nuff said.

2. Twinks (I believe they're called 'Godmods' around here, yes I know I'm showing my age).

3. Brooding clichés.

I really really hate it when someone has a preferred amount of paragraphs or a length of a post for everyone to stick to and then they're the ones who end up giving the one liners in the end and I just can't stand it.

Personally, god-mods and people who take IC events personally and project them into drama via' OOC.

I've found some people just get to attached to characters. Which is understandable I suppose, since I too have became attached to characters I have grown to feel close with after a few years of playing with them... But, I would never allow myself to get worked up, even if they died by some unfortunate IC cause.

I have a certain disinterest for the RP that doesn't really acknowledge that your character is part of the story. This was quite the occurrence back on the other site, lemme tell ya.

Me and my bestfriend rp quite a bit, and sometimes her writing style annoys me. Sometimes she just puts really short sentences (i prefer "beefy' ones) or throws in the odd rhetorical question, or sometimes breaks the tense (past, present, future)

As most other people have already stated, godmoding is a pet peeve of mine as well. Like in fights where they're like "at the LAST SECOND he dove out of the way", which is alright sometimes I suppose but EVERY TIME? Nah mate.

I can also get discouraged if the story is too complicated or too... planned? I like having some freedom to play around with the roleplay and not have to follow a strict line of story or having to remember all of the millions of rules the rp has. That might just be me though, I think some people could really appreciate an intricate story and it being pretty organized.

Honestly I've by and large avoided PCvPC text based combat with people I don't know because it devolves into 'I have an invisible forcefield' and 'no but my dark matter gun explodes everything on contact because dark matter and light matter can't exist together my brother told me so' and 'but that wasn't me i was over there that was a clone,' fresh out of the kindergarden argument book.
If you're going to fight on even terms and look for a victor make it a battle of wits and subterfuge. Screw up the other person's life however you can, but make sure above all else the other player's OK with it and give them the same courtesies in return. If neither of you wants to 'lose,' agree OOC of how far the damage goes and have the fight break up at some point.
Failing that? For the love of god people get an intermediator, or pick up dice. There's been whiteboard webapps out for 10 years if you need a battle grid; if you want to fight each other and have it not stalemate every time because you want to be tougher, just frame the combat in a D20 system already.

Let me throw out there: the dark, mysterious, broody person that doesn't ever want to do stuff, but the player wants their character to be forced into situations and tries to force this unfitting tsundere attitude when people ignore them.

I'm half tempted to link a thing I wrote a while ago about asshole characters, since they can actually work out (Assuming you're not a dick yourself.) I'm not 100% sure if this counts as advertising, or is frowned upon or whatever.

One liners.

Too much adult content . Hey, i love a good romance and i am well over 21 so i enjoy a good passionate encounter. But gimme plot, a good story, let the adult content be at the right place and time ad make sense. To me its more fun when the characters are getting feelings for each other.

When a post is written in first-person.

I also don't really like it when people use pictures instead of writing out a description of their character.
It just feels wrong to me to use someone else's artwork or face without their knowledge for something as trivial as a roleplay.
It also just seems lazy.

Breaking lore breaks roleplays.
That and becoming too overpowered for the level of the others.
And not being original does not help.

Back