What was your first role-playing experience?

D

Demo

Embarrassing or amazing.
Short or long.
Share your story about your first role-playing experience and how that led you to a mini career of role-playing.

We won't judge your stories!
:D

My first real experience was the summer before I first began high school. I played a game for the Nintendo Wii called Super Smash Bros Brawl and that game had an online text box for random, small status updates. It was really small and was only good for short messages. However, I saw two people using it for roleplay, the roleplays were nothing special, just random shenanigans as kitties. I was curious, asked what they were doing and eventually joined in too. I have been roleplaying ever-since. :3

My first experience with rolplaying started in the 9th grade between me and my best friend. We were both into writing and wanted to do something fun. So we grabbed any pad of paper that we could find. It was mostly sticky note pads and small notebooks. We wrote back and forth like that in school, passing it back and forth between classes and in classes we shared. Over the summer we kept it going through e-mail and when we got back to school she showed me the world of online Rping that she had discovered over the summer. I have been roleplaying every since. And every now and then, I still exchange written rps with friends that live close. It's just as fun.

My first experience was over Facebook with a friend about five years ago. It really just happened, where we discovered roleplay without knowing what it was really called. I created a story, and she explored in it. Over time friends were added, and the world was spontaneously born. It was a glorious world called Dystra, a very classic swords and sorcery setting. In fact, it's where I met my girlfriend whom I've been dating for four and a half years now. I created a supporting NPC and had it fall in love with her character, and then we took interest in each other thereafter. In hindsight, the lore and story didn't have much continuity, but I've changed a lot since then. What mattered most is that roleplay changed my life and found my soulmate in the process ^_^

My first roleplaying experience was me and my brother creating a game when we were little kids. We had those big rolls of kids sketching paper and we would draw map mazes on them. Like houses, caves, dungeons, etc. We would tear little pieces of paper off and write what was in each room and then try to safely navigate each others maps. If you took the wrong direction you died horribly. :p

Wasn't roleplaying in its truest sense, but it was fun. My mother found us at it, and she broke out her AD&D stuff and started running campaigns for us. We were only about 4-5 years old at most. Was before my younger brother was born, and he's four years younger than me... and my older brother was only a year older... so somewhere in there :p

I remember my first character was a dwarf fighter, and I saved a pet wolf cub and it became my pet.

I started when I was like 11 years old, I was watching Naruto at the time and so was liking fansites of it on Facebook ,when I stumbled across people creating pages on facebook playing as Naruto characters, I made a Naruto OC and somehow tried to play along, with my horrible english back then, it was a total cringe fest.

I still remember using the word "irritated" very often, thinking it would mean confused as in german "irritiert" means confused, I thought because it sounded so similiar, it would mean the same, only years later I realized why nobody liked me when I kept looking irritated...

I still remember using the word "irritated" very often, thinking it would mean confused as in german "irritiert" means confused, I thought because it sounded so similiar, it would mean the same, only years later I realized why nobody liked me when I kept looking irritated...

A long time ago I used to roleplay with a guy who didn't quite speak English fluently. He was very good, but he would do similar things all the time. He would often use similar sounding but incorrect words, or use words with similar definitions that weren't quite the right choice for the context he was using them for. I miss that guy :p

My first roleplaying experience was me and my brother creating a game when we were little kids. We had those big rolls of kids sketching paper and we would draw map mazes on them. Like houses, caves, dungeons, etc. We would tear little pieces of paper off and write what was in each room and then try to safely navigate each others maps. If you took the wrong direction you died horribly. :p

Wasn't roleplaying in its truest sense, but it was fun. My mother found us at it, and she broke out her AD&D stuff and started running campaigns for us. We were only about 4-5 years old at most. Was before my younger brother was born, and he's four years younger than me... and my older brother was only a year older... so somewhere in there :p

I remember my first character was a dwarf fighter, and I saved a pet wolf cub and it became my pet.
Man, I wish I could play D & D, but the boards are ridiculously expensive now!
It always seemed like an interesting game, though. Hopefully I get to try it out one day.

My first roleplaying experience was while playing Lego Star Wars on Nintendo Wii with my brother.... He would voice Yoda, and I would voice literally every other character, and have them interact, in ways that wouldn't came up in any Star Wars movie. Like planning birthday parties, or going grocery shopping, just mundane everyday tasks.
It wasn't written, like the roleplaying I do now, but it was so much fun.

I suppose an argument could be made that I played a great deal of "pretend" with my friends when I was a kid, but otherwise, I was on a Pokemon site when I was early in my teens and ended up getting into roleplay when I realized a handful of my friends were. :) Started off roleplaying Pokemon/Bleach. Although I wasn't very good, I surely had a lot of fun but have since improved drastically from where I was about 10 years ago. At the time I didn't write much nor did I have any aspirations to do so, but things have changed!

~M

Well, I used to play 'make believe' with my friends which was basically roleplaying but we didn't call it that. My first experience of roleplaying that I actually KNEW was roleplaying was on....oh god...Miiverse. =_= But, I did have fun and developed some of the characters that I still use to this day. I also met a friend on there who I just recently found again. They also joined this site with me. ^_^

My first real experience with roleplay was I think when I was around 4 years old. I'd pretend to be a power ranger, a powerful Sith, and sometimes a ninja turtle. Granted we just called it make believe, later in life around the beginning of high school I remember me and my friends getting interested in Dungeons & Dragons and really building our own version from the ground up with me generally being the game master. That was my first serious experience with roleplaying and I haven't done it in so long or had people to do it with so I'm on here to hopefully find fun times and awesome people.

My first roleplaying experience has to be the good ole' days of FanFiction. Lots of fan forums had RP threads. After stomping around there for a good long while, I migrated over to roleplay websites. Haven't stopped since :]!

I used to do a lot of text roleplaying on iScribble back when iScribble still allowed roleplaying. Funny that that's where I started, since I'm absolutely by no means an artist and I didn't even like to draw all that much. I was all about post-apocalyptic roleplay. It's been ages since I've dabbled in roleplaying, probably a solid 5 years. I just remember really enjoying it and from what I could see this forum is exactly what I'd like out of a roleplay experience.

i started on facebook when i befriended people who had their names set as anime characters. it was terrible roleplays but as a beginner, its not expected to be so good. but it did lead me to some good friendships and my eyes opening to the world of roleplay and eventually to my love for writing! though, i still look back on those days and shiver... i was cringey and gross in general.

Mm for me it started as playing pretend in grade school and in middle school we just kept it up? Eventually we started doing more written style roleplay as we got older. Role-playing in this sort of style is probably why I started writing in the very first place aha. Me and my so often RP by writing replys back and forth and have the entirety of our 6 year relationship but this is the first real time I've branched out to an RP site other than occasionally on gaia way back when aha. I'm looking forward to being apart of a community for a change. ♡

Mm for me it started as playing pretend in grade school and in middle school we just kept it up? Eventually we started doing more written style roleplay as we got older. Role-playing in this sort of style is probably why I started writing in the very first place aha. Me and my so often RP by writing replys back and forth and have the entirety of our 6 year relationship but this is the first real time I've branched out to an RP site other than occasionally on gaia way back when aha. I'm looking forward to being apart of a community for a change. ♡
you mentioned the pretend thing in grade school -- now that i think about it, thats actually how i started too! my playing pretend sessions (if you could call it that) were so intense lol ^^ nice to see someone else did that too as a kid!

My first RP experience was when I was in 6th grade. To this day have never seen a full episode of Sailor Moon, but a few girls in the next grade would pass a big note book back and forth with short stories they'd written as an assumed character in the series. Being the bumbling lady's man I strove to be, I asked if I could join as my own original character. If only pen and paper had spell check. It was fun and a great way to meet people in their group. Eventually that led to finding the site RPoL years later and I've been sort of meandering ever since.

you mentioned the pretend thing in grade school -- now that i think about it, thats actually how i started too! my playing pretend sessions (if you could call it that) were so intense lol ^^ nice to see someone else did that too as a kid!
Ahh yeah I know what you mean! Lmao I know it's more of a very very first sort of thing but it's definitely what lead me to more serious roleplay

Back