What's your favourite artsy game?

Horicabu

lil Imp
Hello! As one can imagine, there's quite a gamer culture present on this site. I, too, enjoy video games. I've always considered games as works of art over simple entertainment, and I'd like to know if there's any games that you think are works of art as well.

Remember: art is subjective! It doesn't matter what game it is. If you had an amazing experience with a game, enjoyed the art direction, sound, or something else that stood out, then in my book, it's a work of art.

Don't feel obligated to stick to any particular genre. Anything you feel is worth mentioning is worth mentioning. Also, I'd appreciate it if people didn't start arguments over things.

So, to start off this list, I'll give you a few of mine:

Ori and the Blind Forest
Transistor
Minecraft
Starbound
Terraria
Bastion

Bioshock. Bioshock all the way.
I can't really get on board with a sandbox game being 'art,' though, sorry.
d7d

The music by itself may be art. But that's where I draw the line. You can make art in the game, sure, but then it's just a version of a 3d designer that does its job poorly. And you can't call a 3d designer by itself art. The environment is procedurely generated at start, save for very, very, very few prefabricated objects. The computer doesn't know what art is. It just randomly places stuff. And I can't really call randomly placed junk art.

But, hey, that's, like, just my opinion, man.

The music by itself may be art. But that's where I draw the line. You can make art in the game, sure, but then it's just a version of a 3d designer that does its job poorly. And you can't call a 3d designer by itself art. The environment is procedurely generated at start, save for very, very, very few prefabricated objects. The computer doesn't know what art is. It just randomly places stuff. And I can't really call randomly placed junk art.

But, hey, that's, like, just my opinion, man.

I can respect that. I was joking around. I'd prefer we don't get into discussions of what makes a game artsy, because some people aren't level headed and might go off.

On a different note, I've unfortunately never played Bioshock.

The Brutal Doom mod. Art is when one hundred enemies charge at you down a narrow hallway and all you can do is fire your minigun. Two minutes later, you're out of ammo, and there's nothing left but blood, bullet holes, and the steaming remains of your foes.

The Brutal Doom mod. Art is when one hundred enemies charge at you down a narrow hallway and all you can do is fire your minigun. Two minutes later, you're out of ammo, and there's nothing left but blood, bullet holes, and the steaming remains of your foes.

I can get behind that.

Don't judge me, but Undertale was absolutely fantastic! The music was probably my favorite part but the story itself was also gorgeous.

My favorite theme has to be either Muffets Theme or the Music Box. They both just make really calm and happy. X)

My favorite artsy game was "Thomas was Alone". All you do is solve puzzles with blocks, but the narrator gave so much to the blocks. At certain points, it makes me want to cry.

FIREWATCH should count as "artsy" in my opinion. Visually it's not bad, but the story telling, voice acting and concepts explored are well done and unique: it feels more like playing a book than anything I've ever played.

The Stanley Parable is also pretty artsy in that regard.

I was gonna say Journey, but someone else got to it first! It really is a beautiful game, for something taking place largely in a wasteland.

In all seriousness, to pick a favourite artsy game is hard. It's something I'm feeling in the moment.

To pick something not well known though, try DEFCON.

A simple message. A simple point. Illustrated in a beautiful way.

Back