When did you first start roleplaying?

Reverent Apothica

Scourge of the Hawks
1. When did you first start roleplaying?

2. How did you find out about rps?

3. Has roleplaying effected your life in any way since you first started?

4. What factors/interests have the biggest influence on your roleplaying/writing style?

5. What aspect(s) of your personality seems to shine most prominently through your characters?

6. Do you have a common trend in character creating? (Ex. most of my characters I create are hybrids with strong animalistic behaviors. It doesn't have to be that extreme, it may be something as small as creating characters with similar clothing styles)

Last edited:
1. Around a year ago
2. facebook
3. yes, it's opened up a whole new world of writing to me
4. My love for fantasy and scifi kind of makes it hard to do anything else
5. mostly being passionate about things
6. I try to make it different, but I could never roleplay as a white person, that just takes me out of my comfort zone. so recurring traits are a given

1. About 8 years ago.
  2. Started with D&D with my brothers, then I discovered roleplaying online
  3. I've become so much more creative since starting RP's and discovered that more than anything I love writing.
  4. Characterisation is a big factor that influences my roleplays. I like to make characters believable and unique.
  5. Definitely my stubbornness - although I try to make my characters vastly different from my real self.
  6. I like creating characters that are exotic. Female characters that are from places like Ancient Egypt and present themselves like that accordingly!

Probably half a year ago. I'm still very inexperienced.
On this website called QuizUp. It's not a roleplay site but because it about quizzes on topics about well anything there are roleplay topics. However I haven't really started to roleplay until one of my internet friends on a website about opinions and stuff told me to try it and I liked it so I've been doing it ever since.
Well not really but it has led me to a different way on sharing stories and making internet friends.
4. What factors/interests have the biggest influence on your roleplaying/writing style?
Probably ideas on characters and/or their story and seeing the potential that they have.
5. What aspect(s) of your personality seems to shine most prominently through your characters?
It's hard to say.
6. Do you have a common trend in chacarer creating? (Ex. most of my characters I create are hybrids with strong animalistic behaviors. It doesn't have to be that extreme, it may be something as small as creating characters with similar clothing styles
Not really, I mean I often join topics where I'm forced to create teenage OCs and most of my OCs are female but I would like to create more male/animal OCs that aren't teenagers.​

1. Around 2 years ago
2. I first found out about rps while looking up quizzes about my favorite characters/anime
3. I'd say roleplaying has made me more conscious about how I write my stories, if not making me a generally better writer.
4. Characters-how they interact with others, their true motives, their conflicts, etc.
5. I like to make detailed descriptions so that I can picture how scenes play in my head. So I guess it's my passion for things?
6. I used to only create female characters, but lately I've crossed that border and write characters who are male or don't have a clearly defined spectrum. Obviously, I have lots to improve in writing those characters and being mindful of the realities they share with our current society, but it's really fun and exciting

1. I started role-playing 7 years ago.

2. I found RPs through a Neopets guild online.

3. Role-playing has definitely positively and negatively influenced my life. When I was in school I let it take time away from studying. Now it keeps me writing.

4. My past strongly influences my role-play There has been a lot of negative experiences in my life, and because of that I tend to channel it through my characters.

5. The most prominent characteristics of mine that show in my characters I'd say is resilience and stubbornness.

6. I try to be as diverse as possible when it comes to my different characters, however I do tend to make my characters have horrific pasts, like I mentioned earlier. Any other repetitive traits, I can not think of at the moment.

Anyways, I'm very much intrigued by the diverse responses I'm seeing on here. I'm also quite surprised at the amount of similarities I share with all of you.

1. I think aroun the time that I was 8 or 9? So like 9 years ago.

2. I joined a website with a couple of my friends which was actually about taking care of virtual animals, but it also had "clubs" where you could roleplay and a forum. I started out in one of the clubs roleplaying wild horses and then grew from that to more advanced stories and writing with humans haha

3. I guess it made me a better writer? It also gave me somewhere to be creative and spend time with friends building stories and characters

4. I've always enjoyed both books and roleplays where the characters have to struggle to survive, whether that'd be in a fantasy setting or more realistic. I like to take some inspiration from my interests outside of rp.

5. I tend to take a few characteristics from myself , highten it, and put it in a character to make it more human and believable, and also to make it easier for myself to relate to them. Most often I make them a bit nerdy about something and then give them some of my own flaws or strenghts.

6. Most of my characters are relativly friendly, at least at a deeper level, because I have a hard time roleplaying assholes or bullies (it's probably something I should try tho). Most of also have some sort of family problems or a hard past, something I could improve on.

1. around 3 years ago
2.Basically when i played Feng Lee's Attack on Titan tribute game there were lots of RP servers so do to curiosity i played and it was awesome especially with the customization of characters do to mods
3. I use it as a base for stories i am writing
4.Morality is the biggest factor. If i have found an infant vessel of the Dark God to destroy it would be good but to kill the vessel and stop people for suffering but it would also be evil to kill an innocent life but also subject people to its horrors when it matures.
5.Probably my pragmatism since its very evident in my characters actions no matter what role they play my Heroes do things that are evil but necessary and my villains merely do not do heinous acts not because its to evil but its a waste of time and resources.
6.The other trend besides pragmatism is there very methodical always careful analytical and deliberate.

2001, Neopets. Stumbled on a thread of people pretending to be sonic characters. Deeply confused, I asked someone what was going on in there and learned what was going on in private messages. After that, I just kind of jumped in (Not in the sonic ones thankfully) and learned the hard way, trial and error.
Honestly, it's helped me with empathy, and understanding where another person is coming from in a discussion. Getting in the head of a character is a huge leap into getting into the heads of other people.

My characters have all at some point had something exceptionally strange happen to them. Not talking.... supernatural, just a version of 'the noodle incident' trope. I happen to attract a load of weird people.
For instance, I was late to work trying to dodge a conversation with a guy at a gas station about how he bought a shirt off a guy at a concert, right off his back, and re-told me the guy's story about how he got the shirt. The carpool I was with were mortified to see the guy was miming the act of the previous shirts' owner removing his shirt right in the middle of the gas station. The workers just gave me a look like, 'Yeah, this rates about a 2 on my weird-shit-o-meter.'
Finding something just plain out there for characters to complain about (with some of my colorful language bleeding through) once in a while can be pretty funny, so they more often than not get to experience 'the concert shirt incident' or whatever equivalent I think of at the time.
Oh, and they sometimes ramble like I do.

1. It kind of depends on what you count as roleplaying? As a kid, a few of my friends and I were huge weeby fans of Naruto, and we had original characters etc. etc. We used to have a little shared notebook that we passed around during class so we could take turns writing, kind of like a very primitive, pen-and-paper kind of play-by-post roleplaying. That was the start, I guess?

2. Well, with the online kind, I guess I first came across the stuff in DeviantArt, when it wasn't so densely populated (or maybe it just seemed like it to a younger me).

3. I think it may have something to do with the RP that I've become more perceptive when it comes to people. And a hell of a lot more observant. I used to play characters that were basically self-inserts, but after attempts at broadening your horizons, you kind of realize that you can't get all your character's everythings from your own firsthand experience. So, I started observing people, hanging out with them more often, noting their speech patterns, their habits, their quirks, etc.

4. Hmm, I guess the way I think affects my writing a lot. A lot of the time, my writing is kind of maximalist, almost train-of-thought like, and it's probably because, well, that's how my mind goes. I just form unnecessarily long, trailing sentences describing every last detail about what's happening. Of course, later on, I go over everything and identify kind of what the important parts were, and take off everything else, then I arrange things in a way that everything seems to have been put for a reason...? I think? I guess I'm just good at overthinking.

5. My love for adventure! I never really mean for it to happen, but no matter how diverse I try to make my characters, I'll always have trouble playing the ones who don't, deep inside, long for adventure. I'm not even sure if there are people who don't long for adventure. It's just such a core part of me, that I have to take a little piece and plant it somewhere in the character.

6. This is just a posteriori, so I'm looking back at my previous characters now. I noticed that they're 1) usually male, even though I'm female. 2) They usually have some kind of beef with a family member, let it be a sibling or a parent or a cousin, etc. And 3) at some point in their backstories, they make one huge fuck up.

1) Around about just over two years now.
2) A friend of mine introduced me to it.
3) Yes it has actually, when I first started RPing I was terrible at English, and creative writing. However ever since I've started I've improved greatly.
4) Character development and movement style. I find building a character from a story is great, it can help you create something that actually feels human. Same goes for movement style, if I can find a way to describe a movement well, with a short sentence I think it can just help show off a much more human creation.
5) It depends on what emotion I'm going for really. I can chime in and out of emotions for a character decently well. I just feel like putting all of the emotions into one character would make them too me.
6) Almost all my characters, at some point, will have a deep connection to their friends, family or something, and if you ever hurt that or take it away, it's usually hell on earth.

1) I started rping when I was about 12.

2) I saw "RP" one day and googled it.

3) Most definitely, both positivly and negativly.

4) That's pretty variable, really. I could use anything from a cool dream to world events.

5) Honestly? All the bad ones...

6) REALLY BAD PASTS.

Would have to say in high school, maybe the summer before freshman year.

I had friends who roleplayed on Skype who invited me on other sites.

3. Has roleplaying affected your life in any way since you first started?
I have met so many great people and I discovered another thing to look forward to each day.

I enjoy conducting research as opposed to creative writing, so my writing style is plain and isn't very dramatic. I write things how they are.

I would have to say my integrity, my scientific mind, and my skepticism. Practical Veronica.

6. Do you have a common trend in character creating?
Most of my characters are associated with the armed forces, either by service or their family.

If I'm doing a one-on-one RP, I like the characters to have a specific dynamic--to be different but different enough to compliment each other.

I first started roleplaying approximately five years ago! I was in middle school and I got a bit bored with life, so I sought out writing as a means of making my life a bit more exciting! I had so much fun, that I couldn't stop!

Well, I didn't really find out about RPs. I kinda just stumbled upon the idea of writing from a character's point of view when I was writing original stories on Wattpad when I was but a wee babe. I'm pretty sure I got bored with Wattpad and was trying to find another site to write on and stumbled upon roleplaygateway. That was a nice site who had so many nice people on it~ That's where I got most of the personal touches in my writing.

Absolutely! Roleplaying has had a huge impact on me! I'm in high school currently and I'm an actor in my school's plays and musicals and things. During the summer, I don't do any acting, so roleplaying was a great way for me to practice my art! It helped me keep my skills sharp when I approached a new character's point of view and it helped me visualize what the physicality of a character might be! Overall, it helped me improve my performance greatly!

Like I've said, I'm an actor and that has had a huge impact on my writing! I always like to take an introspective outlook from a character and work my way toward their physicality after I've described their mood. I also have a huge interest in royalty, so I like to think that my writing style is elegant and eloquent, but... Who knows?

Hmm... Well I try and do a large range of personality traits in myself among my characters, but I do think that my 'elegance' is usually something that shines through. I put on comedic airs about how 'prim and proper' I am, and I try to make my characters outrageously like that. I really love to make them so crazy like that, but make it blatantly obvious that they're just a huge airhead!

6. Do you have a common trend in character creating? (Ex. most of my characters I create are hybrids with strong animalistic behaviors. It doesn't have to be that extreme, it may be something as small as creating characters with similar clothing styles)
The only common trend I have is that I make my characters outrageously pompous, like I said. I guess I like to make characters with black hair too.

I believe it was about two years ago. Been loving it ever since

When I was exploring a site, I wanted to see how I could pass the time while staying on site. When I came across Rping, I was, at first, hesitant on doing so because I mistook Rping with LARPing... Once I found it was similar to writing stories, I was almost immediately hooked.

I constantly try and think about how to progress on a good Rp; how to make the forty scenarios running through my brain work out and asking my partners if they want to work with it. As an aspiring writer, I think more on how my characters react towards others, and how to progress a story in sync with my Rp partners.
I've noticed that I'm more willing to talk and be more open when Rps are involved, so in a way, its helped me get out of my shell ^^;

Description and detail; I love reading large paragraphs of character development and setting description. To me in my opinion, it makes me feel good about what we're doing in our Rp, not to mention helping me imagine our made up universe a bit better x3

I've noticed that my characters have an aggression streak, snapping at those that pick, tease/taunt, or move and behave in a threatening way.... Yeeeah, I like to do that for some reason.

No lie, I like my characters to have some sort of animalistic characteristics; I love animals, so some of my OCs have some trait from a specific animal, or a general aninalistic behavior imbedded in their personality; also, I tend to pull a bit of myself out and put them into my characters so I can connect to them as a part of me.

It helps me perform in character better xd

Two years ago.

I honestly can't remember. I just remember that one day, I'm on Fanfiction.net and then the next thing I remember, I'm in an RP.

I started to spend more time on the internet instead of studying. But it's definitely got my creative juices flowing and now I'm really good at working under pressure because I prioritize RPing more than acads.

I'm not sure. I suppose the biggest influence on my writing style is when others portray this super realistic characters which sends me into a daze of epic realization which then helps me write those kinds of characters.

Probably faking personalities (being flexible depending on the person they are interacting with), which comes from both my sister and I. It makes writing the character all the more exciting to write about.

I've noticed that I really love drifters - people with no homes - and that they have no allegiances. When I write females, I base them off my sister - a sneaky little thief who can smile while stabbing you. I swear my sister is a psychopath, but my sister all the same.

Years upon years ago. I'm old. I started off with text roleplaying using random chatrooms, back when those were a thing.

Hard to say, I can't remember specifically how I discovered RPs. I think it was entirely on accident actually.

Definitely, it's given me a creative and emotional outlet that I haven't really found a good replacement for.

Whatever media I'm consuming at the time. How I write changes based on what I'm watching or listening or reading. It's a very odd phenomenon.

Compassion mostly, but every single one of my characters has a flaw of mine written into their character. Even if it's done in a way that's not the exact same as how I'm dealing with it.

Almost every character I write is not straight. I have maybe one or two exceptions but no one else is heterosexual. Otherwise I seem particularly fond of women who don't express themselves in a stereotypically 'feminine' manner.

About 4 years, when I was in 4th grade (9 years old...)

It was a little accidental, I was bored one day and came across an interesting website, so I checked it out. However, I wrote stories before I started RPing.

Yes! Now I'm someone who is most creative and fell in love with love (which also lead me to one of my favorite genres).

Normally whatever I'm feeling at the moment, listening to, reading, or just thinking about. It's all random, actually.

Optimism and kindness are the two main ones, which really reflect on my own personality actually.

For some reason, a lot of the characters I make have black hair or sometimes even brown. I've never made a blonde character before for some reason.

Back