A Super Mix of Super Heroes

Paul nodded quickly. "Oh, yes! Thank you, I appreciated all you did. I am very sorry I misspelled your name. Name spellings, or spellings in general, have never been my strong suit. I'll try to get it right next time, Miss..." He hesitated. "Um, would it be alright if I just called you 'Asha?' I mean, if you prefer to continue to be more formal, I understand, but maybe we could be more casual?" He gave her a hopeful smile.

"Um, would it be alright if I just called you 'Asha?'” Asha’s flames jumped and she swallowed her next bite whole. Only her fire consuming the food that came towards it, stopped her from choking. But the satisfying fuel only made her fire reactive. The heat around her grew and she knew her cheeks were darker.

It had been a while since someone said her name so carelessly, so nicely. She wasn’t one for friends, they could be messy and people said she was too, intense. Her trick by addressing him by his last name only pushed him to be less formal, but still, he asked to be less formal. He did not mock her, or push her to accept his ways. He simply asked to call her by her name because it was easier to spell.

His simplicity and profound kindness tickled and poked her flames. She let out a small laugh.

“I suppose if we are to hinder any more misspellings, it is only logical if you use my first name, Paul.” Asha liked saying his name. It was simple yet impactful. Much like his food.

Paul brightened, sitting up straighter in his chair as he smiled at her. "Thank you!" he chirped - a strange sound from someone so massive. "I mean, if you prefer last names, I can practice spelling your name properly, of course, and I probably should, anyway, but you have a nice first name, and I'd really like to be friends with you, if I may, no pressure, of course, you can just tell me if I step over a line, just tell me straight up, and I'll step back, because I really don't want to offend you or make you feel pressured or anything at all, just... um..." He let his words trail off. "I'm rambling. Sorry."

He looked down sheepishly, trying to ignore the fact that she was kind of cute when she blushed. Nope! No, bad Paul! No thoughts like that! They were roommates, barely even friends, there were no thoughts like that allowed. End of self discussion! She would probably pick up on them and that would ruin everything.

“Thank you!" Paul sounded pleased as Asha took another bite. The oily sustenance had enhanced how starved her flames were from the sudden excursion of power during her, mishap in the hall. They eagerly consumed each bite.

“And I'd really like to be friends with you,” Asha blinked, focusing on Paul’s words. “If I may, no pressure, of course, you can just tell me if I step over a line, just tell me straight up, and I'll step back, because I really don't want to offend you or make you feel pressured or anything at all, just... um...I'm rambling. Sorry."

Asha took slower bites as he talked, processing his proposal. After a moment of silence, she swallowed her food and took another sip of water. Letting her thoughts finalize.

“You have no need to apologize. While the misspelling of my name was an inconvenience, it was no matter of importance. Your rambling, well,” Asha tapped her chin. “It is, a quirk of yours that is yours alone. It does not diminish your honor or respect, it is rather,” Asha hummed a bit and tapped her chin faster. “Cute? Yes, cute.” Asha nodded to herself, then looked at Paul. “Your rambling is cute, and is no hinderance to me.”

“But as for the matter of friends,” Asha crossed her arms, firmly setting them under her chest. “We shall see. It has only been two days and we hardly know each other. Yes, your food is satisfactory and I am dutiful in my cleaning, but what if you disapprove of my eating habits or I disapprove of,” Asha gestured around them as she looked for an answer. She snapped when something came to her mind. “how you spend your free time. These things cannot be known in two days.”

Suddenly her mind brought forth the incident from before. He saw more of her than people who had known her for years had seen. She took a sip of water to wash the thought away.

Paul brightened a little when she called his quirk "cute." Then he nodded, listening politely as she spoke. He poked at his remaining noodles thoughtfully. "You are right, we can't know if we can be friends in two days, but I think two people can at least try to be friends or try to be enemies. I'd like to try to be friends."

He smiled at her shyly then ducked his head to finish off his meal. Yes, he mostly agreed with her, but a part of him wondered why two people couldn't be friends in two days? He remembered in his childhood making friends in two hours. Sometimes less. Why should it be so different in adulthood? Adults seemed to fill their own way with stumbling blocks. Asha might not think of him as a friend, and he respected that, but he already thought of her as a friend. Perhaps not close friends, but still friends.

“We can try.” Asha nodded after finishing the last of her food. “I do not wish to be your enemy either.” She observed Paul. He still wore a small smile and was impossibly kind. Adding that to his superior culinary abilities, Asha found herself, considering and possibly wanting to befriend Paul. But she had duties, she had Lalita.

She glanced at the clock. It was only 7:30. The mess in her room did cause some problems, but if she acted quickly, she could fix her room then go on a patrol and see the type of crime that was in the area. “But not tonight. I have had a very tiring few days and I would like to get some rest. Are you done so that I may do your dishes? If not, I can wait.” Asha folded her hands as she waited for a reply.

He quickly gulped down the last of his food and smiled at her. "Finished! But if you are tired, I had an easy day. I do not mind cleaning up this time if you want to turn in early. I'm going to go out for a walk once we've finished up here. A nice evening walk is a great way to cool down before bed!" He gave a satisfied nod.

He stood and started gathering everything up. Even if Asha insisted on doing the dishes and cleaning up, he could help carry everything to the kitchen. He gathered up the leftover food and started putting it in containers to try to fit in the refrigerator.

“Um,” Asha gaped as Paul stood up and took everything to the kitchen. He was quick to react, but she was quick to compose herself. With a tug to her shirt, she followed him into the kitchen. It was odd how, normal it felt doing the dishes as he cleaned up everything else.

“I do not like to leave things unfinished,” Asha stated as she washed. “Whether I had a long day or not, I do not want to leave you to clean up my mess. Especially if it will hinder your activities or routines.”

Paul turned and grinned brightly at her, his eyes crinkled in genuine pleasure. "Thank you! I appreciate your desire to help. Really, that's just awesome of you! But if you do come home someday just totally beat and wiped out, I don't mind doing it once or twice. Really, I don't, because I know you won't take advantage."

Like some people he knew, but he wasn't bitter about that. Just sad. Why did some people have to be so rude at home? They both wanted the same thing: a nice place to live. So why couldn't others be as willing to pull their own weight as Asha? It was frustrating and so sad!

He shook off the thoughts and smiled again at Asha before going to wipe down the dining table then came back to wipe down the kitchen counters. "There we go! Everything in its place and shiny!"

"There we go! Everything in its place and shiny!" Asha nodded as she put the last dish in the drainer, steam coming off of it as she permeated the air around it with her heat to dry it. The rhythm of the work got her thinking about becoming friends with Paul.

In fact, his ability to only propose friendship and not something more intimate or kicking her out was extraordinary. She remembered her unpleasant encounters with males that walked around with their bodies exposed hoping to gain her attention. If the air around them made their skin darker, it was their fault for approaching her. Still, Paul did not think badly of her, did not assume she was trying to gain anything, he simply saw it as a misunderstanding.

“And the dishes are all washed and dried.” She turned to Paul. “Thank you for dinner and,” Asha let out a sigh before straightening her shoulders and looking at Paul’s hazel eyes. “And I apologize for the inconvenience in the hall, but thank you for not letting it diminish your idea of me. That is, very honorable of you.”

"That is very honorable of you."

Paul blushed deeply both at the memory and at her compliment. He gave her a shy smile, not quite able to meet her gaze. "Thank you for saying that, and I understand how... awkward that kind of situation is. I know it was just an accident. I could get some more towels and put them in the bathroom for just in case of that exact issue if something like it happens again?" he stumbled, trying hopefully to be helpful.

He really, really did not want that kind of a situation to happen again. He would not be a man if he did not admit that the sight of her naked body stirred something in his blood, but there was natural instinct, and then there was proper control. It was natural to look once. It was a chosen control to not look again. He was not some kind of piggish monster! And Asha was way too nice to be treated that way.

“I could get some more towels and put them in the bathroom for just in case of that exact issue if something like it happens again?" Asha nodded and looked away, noticing how Paul had trouble keeping her gaze. It bothered her a bit that he had trouble looking at her. Was it because she was too intense? Did she look uncomposed?

“That would be beneficial.” Asha straightened her shirt and took a deep breath before facing him. She hoped it relaxed her features enough for him to not feel so intimidated. “Thank you, Paul. Enjoy your nightly stroll.” Asha turned to go to her room.

"Thanks!" Paul waited until Asha had gone into her room. Then he went to his room and fed Mr. Cuzko, giving him a quiet moment to talk before he went out. The little hamster was just happy to eat his nuts and listened patiently as his giant owner babbled on. There wasn't much a hamster could say about all the goings-on - even if it had the slightest interest, which Mr. Cuzko did not.

Paul grabbed a duffle bag from his closet then whistled casually as he walked past Asha's room and out the door, making certain his keys were in his pocket before locking the door behind himself. Just a walk! Just a nice, ordinary walk! At night. With a duffle bag. Nothin' weird here!

Asha quickly closed the door to her room and examined the damage. The scorch mark was the biggest problem. She bent down and dragged her finger across the floor. It was still stable and solid, but there was a good coating of ash covering the floor.

“Well, it’s stable.” Asha exhaled, she glanced up at the window. Shards were still hanging and the cool night breeze blew in freely. Luckily, the glass blew outward instead of inward so there were no shards to clean. “I can acquire a pane of glass on my way back from patrol.” Asha quickly went to get her special mix to clean the scorch marks. She poked her head out of her room.

“Paul!” There was no answer to her call. Asha slipped out and filled a bucket with water, hydrogen peroxide, and some of the mix. The odd floral chemical smell made her nose wrinkle. Quickly she went back and wiped the scorch mark. The ground was still darker than before but it wasn’t black anymore.

“That will have to suffice. I will have to get a small rug tonight as well.” Asha sighed and put her things away, making sure to pour and rinse the residue left from her mess. With that, she changed into a workout sweater and leggings before grabbing the keys to her storage center a block away. She contemplated using the door but it would be too much of a hassle. Asha looked out her window. It was dark enough and there were no windows on the building across from her window. No one appeared to be looking either. Asha jumped out the window and increased the heat around her, letting some of her flames spark out of her hands to slow her descent. She landed in a hard squat. Then she ran to her storage unit.

She was just a woman going for a jog. If Paul caught her out, she just needed to tire herself out. Which was not a lie. Even the little bit of release made her blood rush and each step closer to her storage unit made a smile grow on her face. Tiring her out, just required more than a simple jog. She got to her storage unit and unlocked it. Her motorcycle gleamed in the moonlight and her suit hung stiffly.

“I missed you,” Asha smirked.

Meanwhile, Paul had walked out the front door with his duffle bag over his shoulder and was on his way down the road. He hummed as he went, sauntering a little, swinging his arms, and trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. Meaning he was getting the occasional queer look as he passed. He looked around innocently, pretending he was just another casual pedestrian, not doing anything wrong at all. Nope! Just trotting along!

Satisfied no one was spying, he dodged into an alleyway and hurriedly opened his duffel bag. His shirt and pants came off in a flash, and he yanked on his new outfit, hopping and nearly falling over as he pulled it on over his shoes. His change was not nearly as dramatic in reality as it was in his head. In his head, he dipped into the alleyway and popped out seconds later to strike a dramatic pose! In reality, he bounced back and forth between the walls of the buildings and nearly fell over multiple times for about five minutes before he wobbled out and struck a dramatic pose! ...With the tip of his cape stuck up in the back and caught in his collar.

Blissfully unaware of what a prat he looked like, Paul bounded off merrily down the street then climbed up onto the roof to "sneak" along while humming his own theme music. Now... what should he do tonight?

The door to her unit slammed shut behind her as she pulled her motorcycle out. Then Asha zipped up her white racing suit with black lining on the sides. She slipped on her white helmet and got onto her black Suzuki speeder. The purr of the engine made her fire jump. She smiled as she raced out of the storage unit.

“Ha-ha-ha!” She laughed, ignoring her speedometer and silencing her police radio. The thrill of the speed consuming her. So, when sirens came up from behind her, she growled. She turned and threw fire at the wheels of the cars. They stopped following her, but she did hear curses. She turned to see them shaking fists at her.

“They will think differently after I help them tonight.” Asha shrugged as she sped onward. “After a few more minutes of free riding."

Meanwhile, Paul was cautiously making his way out of the bank with a backpack stuffed full of cash and bonds. A perfect run! No alarms, no mistakes, nothing but money! His father would be so proud! Now he just had to get it to his hideout and stash it somewhere safe. He grinned as he climbed up the fire escape and up onto the roofs one more. His cape - freed from his collar - flowed in the light breeze dramatically! Well... flopped around with some movement.

"My purse!"

Startled, he looked down in time to see a man dash away from a woman. She stood staring after him in frustration, her shoulders slumping in defeat. Well! That was just rude!

Paul dropped his bag and dashed after the thief. There was no way he'd know to look up to spot someone chasing him by rooftop. Sure enough, the thief ducked into an alleyway and stopped, smirking as he glanced behind him. No one had pursued him for the purse. He was getting off scot-free! Well, not his Paul's watch!

The big man dropped down from the roof and landed in a striking pose. "I'll take that, citizen! Don't you know it's wrong to steal a woman's purse?"

The thief stared and looked over the black and silver clad man posing before him. "And what are you supposed to be? Late to a dance recital?"

Paul glowered at him. "I am Deimos!"

"Demon? You don't look much like a demon," the thief snickered.

"No 'demon,' Deimos! As in the Greek god of terror personified!" Paul growled then struck a different pose. "I am here to retrieve that purse and return it to its proper owner!"

The thief snickered. "Riiiight." Then he punched Paul.

Or tried to. Paul caught his hand easily and grinned before punching back. His fist caught the thief in the chest, and the man flew backward just like the villain in a cartoon show. He crashed into a trash can and landed in a smelly heap. A feeble groan emanated from the crumpled body. Paul grabbed the purse and grinned as he started to walk off. He hesitated and turned back.

"Excuse me, sir, but are you alright?" he asked, suddenly worried. "Do you need me to call a doctor?"

"I'm good," wheezed the man.

"Oh good! Now, let that be a lesson to you. Do not steal purses!" With that, Paul bounded away.

He brushed off the purse as he walked up behind the woman who was still standing and looking around as if lost. "Excuse me, ma'am, but I believe this is yours!"

She turned, and her eyes widened as she took in the character before her. "Uh... thank you... uh... whoever you are," she said hesitantly as she took the bag. "Who...?"

He could not help striking one more pose. "Deimos! Let the name strike terror into the hearts of all!"

"Thank you, uh, Demons." She hurriedly searched in her bag for something.

He sighed. "It's Deimos, actually, not Demons. And you are welcome! Now, I must be Away!!" He darted off, running up to the rooftops once more. Somewhere behind him, he heard the click of a phone camera. Oh well. Those things didn't take good pictures, and she was so happy!

He was grinning and almost all the way home before he remembered... he'd left the back of bank money back on the roof. He groaned and smacked the side of his head. Doofus! It was way too late to try going back now. He had to moap his way back home and change. Ugh. His parents were going to be annoyed if they ever heard about this.

When Asha turned her police scanners on, she had to skip the channels reporting a speeding black Suzuki. She just wanted to have some fun. No one knew it was her, not even her family. The family whom she had to prove herself to. She had to show them that she could be better. That she was pure.

Asha let out a sigh as she sharply turned into a dark alley and watched a few cop cars pass. She scanned the police chatter. On one lone channel, a bank robbery had been reported. It was small, and no harm was done, but still, something went wrong. Something close by. She could stop the robber, drop him by the cops, get praise, and even with something small, a good deed would be noticed. Plus, the robber most likely would be on the rooftops since most cops were circling the city for her. It was a perfect set-up.

Asha lit her palms and used her heat to push herself off the ground. She made her flames long enough to reach the nearest rooftop. She scanned the area and noticed a lone bag on a nearby rooftop. She lifted herself to the rooftop. In the bag, was a stash of bundled cash. But when she looked around there was no one in sight. She closed her eyes and let her heat spread. The lingering heat of someone had been there but dropped off on the other side of the building. Asha grabbed the bag, intending to present it to the cops with the thief, and jumped off the other side off the roof. Flames protruding again to soften her fall.

“FREEZE!” Asha jumped and turned around. Two officers were pointing their weapons at her. “Drop the bag and put your hands up!” One of them ordered.

“Put your weapons down. I am no threat to you.” Asha faced them and put her hands on her hips.

“We said freeze!” The other cop yelled.

“No! You told me to put my hands up and drop the bag. Honestly, if you forget your own orders why should I follow them?” The officers gaped at each other before facing her.

“Just drop the bag thief!”

“Thief!” Asha exclaimed and her inner flames rose. “I am no thief!” Asha held out the bag, and let her fire out through her hands, letting them consume the bag greedily. In a blink, ash fell to the ground where the bag would have. “There! The bag is on the ground. Now you have no money or thief.” Asha lifted herself off the ground quickly as the officers gaped at the pile of ash. She went into the alley with her motorcycle and sped away, evading the cops that were headed toward the robbery. For sightings of the speeding ash maker. Asha growled as she snapped her police silencer off.

“Incompetent police!” Tonight, they ruined her plans, but next time, they would be apologizing. She would make them apologize and see her as a hero. Even if it was the last thing she did!

Paul was home by now and had despondantly put everything away and cleaned up. He sat in the living room with Mr. Cuzco on his lap. He told the hampster everything and now sat sadly staring down at the furry little creature.

For his part, Mr. Cuzco was completely uninterested in Paul's drama, but he was a little pertrubed by his human's distress. When Paul was distressed, sometimes he was late feeding him! So the hamster patiently sat on his knee and stared at him with beedy little eyes.

Asha slammed the storage unit shut. The night’s events replayed in her mind as she stomped home. It was quiet as cop sirens echoed through the streets. Asha glanced at her phone. It was around 11 PM. She needed to get some sleep, but she had not gotten the things she needed to fix her room.

“UGH! What a waste of the night!” Asha growled. But as she arrived closer to the apartment’s alley, her broken window insight, her heart sank to her flames. They caressed her, easing the heaviness. “I made tonight’s messes.” The thought of the police assuming that she was the thief replayed in her mind. “Well, most of them.” Using her flames, she lifted herself to her room and floated in. They purred as she brought them back in. Asha frowned as they settled.

“Well at least one of us had a good time.” Asha sighed as she changed back into her pajamas. Her flames crackled in agreement.

Back