Active Magic (TatlTails and othyrworld)

"Oh, of course!" Jacqueline replied, the signs of an exit being exactly what she needed to sober back up. The girls probably had much better things to do than exchange compliments with her all day, they had lives to put back together! And as for herself, she had plenty of work on her hands. Work that was given a wish of good luck, as the girls walked out the door.

"Thank you!" She responded as she saw them out. "I'll see you at dinner, if nothing else!"

"Bye!" Sequoia cheered, waving as they walked down the hall. Once she had made it a ways down, she turned to Flora. "So, what do you wanna do? More gardening? Yoga? Meditation? Please, not mediation. Because I know that you say it helps you expand your magic, but I just get bored. And last time you tried I sat on an ant pile and that kind of sucked."

Flora laughed quietly. "We'll forgo the meditation today, then," She reassured, placing a soothing hand on Sequoias arm. The girl hadn't even noticed she was flinging her hands this way and that. "How about exploring. This is a big house, right? I think it would be well worth our time."

Sequoia considered that idea for a few minutes. "Sure! Sounds fun! Where do you want to start first?"

Flora shrugged. "How about this hall? There are a lot of unopened doors."

"Why not?' Sequoia wondered aloud, pushing open the door and dragging Flora inside.

Last edited:
The first room was actually pretty normal, though it was notably blue. Blue paint on the walls, blue curtains hanging from the window on the back wall, blue bedding on the fluffy twin bed shoved into the corner (along with a little yellow stuffed dog sitting on the pillow). There was even a blue rug on the floor, centered nicely in the wide open space that was most of the room. The furniture was minimal, and all of it was pressed against the walls, giving as much unobstructed space in the center of the room as possible. One of the only pieces of note was a standing bookshelf, its shelves half-filled with various cookbooks. Most of them looked brand new, but all of them had been read at least once, and there was some form of organization to the haphazard stacks and lines.

Overall, there was nothing the least bit threatening about the room. ...Unless Sequoia wanted to flex her magic-sensing skills, upon which point it would be clear that the room was wrapped in layers and layers of sealing magic.

"Coooool, Sequoia whispered, walking further into the room and checking out the books on the shelves. Not very exciting, but she supposed they were some people's cup of tea. All the blue was kind of strange to her. Who wanted to stay in a place that was all the same color? She'd prefer rainbows. Hot pink and teal and maybe some fuchsia thrown in for variety. Flora had been taking in the room too, though she had been analyzing instead of redecoration.

"I think this is Luke's room," Flora said, tone mild. Once the revelation had clicked in her head, she began wondering if this was an invasion of privacy. Luke seemed nice, but she didn't know how far that went. What if he started hating them? Sequoia seemed oblivious, still wandering through the room checking out knick-knacks and letting her fingers trace over the walls and bed. Flora felt nerves build up in her chest. "Sequoia," She wined, stepping into the doorframe.

"FIne. FIne. Let's check outa new room." Sequoia jogged into the hall, opening the room across from this one and yanking Flora inside.

This room was almost Luke's opposite. The walls had the same wood paneling as the basement, lined with wall shelves and dressers upon which sat all sorts of crystals and candles and woven things. In a pleasant contrast, the curtains and bedding (complete with a cute little canopy hanging from the ceiling) were all a soft dusty pink, the comforter on the bed even having little pink flowers embroidered on it.

The standout counterpoint of this decidedly feminine room was the dresser nearest the door, the knicknacks on top of it veering less into crystals and more into little slips of paper with markings that definitely weren't in English. Some similar markings were etched into a little coin-shaped silver charm on a string that was set haphazardly on the corner of the dresser.

That was the only section of the room with a different magical signature than the rest, but every inch of the room and every item in it was dripping in magic of all sorts. Protection, well wishes, luck, energy, healing, all of it mingled in a soothing sort of vibration that left anyone in it a little better off than they had been.

Last edited:
Sequoia squealed, shooting herself towards the dresser, staring intently at all the little crystals and papers and knick-knacks. This place was so cool. She used the lesson from earlier in the day to find the magic signature of all the little cool things. It was...interesting. In fact, the whole room was bathed in magic and good vibes. She couldn't quite put it into words, but it was somehow the most pleasant thing she'd felt in a while. "Hey Flora, use your detective magic to figure out whose room this is!"

Flora chuckled, looking around the room. Magical energy dripped from every corner of the room, so it was probably Madi's. "Probably Madi. There's so much magic in here it couldn't really be anyone else. Can we leave?"

Sequoia groaned. "Live a little." She looked over all the cool little pieces of spells and potions and stuff for a few more minutes until Flora's nervous energy got her feeling antsy and uncomfortable. "Fine! Fine! We'll leave." She dragged Flora into the next room before the fairy could even talk to her.

This room was a stark difference from both of the first two. It almost looked like Sequoia's and Flora's, except for a few major differences. One was the dark, heavily enchanted curtain covering the window and blocking out every bit the sunlight. The second was the small array of sporting posters and glow-in-the-dark stickers decorating the walls.

The third was the even-more-heavily enchanted set of blankets on the bed, covering up a person-sized lump from head to toe. Said lump shifted slightly in the bed and let out a muted groan when Sequoia and Flora entered the room, both disturbed from their sleep and still 90% asleep at the same time.

Sequoia let out a yelp when something in the room moved. She pulled Flora out and slammed the door behind her. She took several harried breaths, standing with her back against the door to keep it stuck shut. "Oh my god! What was that?" She screeched, turning to Flora for some kind of answers. And asking a few more questions in her head, namely 'Are we about to die?' and 'What the everloving fuck did we walk into?'

Flora just shrugged. She was still a bit shocked, but her mind was coming back to her, albeit a bit slower than she would've liked. "Uh, I don't know. Someone's room maybe? The vampire's?" She didn't really know the vampires name, and she was way too buzzed to pull it to mind.

Sequoia nodded. "Yeah. Probably. Jesus." She yanked the door open, peeking her head inside to yell "Sorry! We were exploring!" before slamming it shut and opening the door to a brand new room. "So the process of elimination says this is Dagger's room. Ready to explore?"

"As I'll ever be," Flora sighed, pulling open the door with reluctance. She stepped inside, looking around nervously.

Sequoia's apology was answered with a similarly-drowsy grunt, before the vampiric lump fell back to sleep.

The witch's suspicions about the final room, however, would be proven wrong. The last room in the hall was as empty and plain-looking as the guest room Sequoia and Flora had taken, devoid of magic or any sign anyone was living there. It was just a spare room, in case the two guests wanted to separate or if one more guest decided to arrive. It seemed from this information that Dagger just... didn't have a room to himself. A bit strange for the guy who liked his privacy the most, but there was no chance anyone lived in this room. Not even a total neat freak would have a room so empty and untouched.

Sequoia huffed. "Damnit, another guest room. Where the heck does Dagger sleep?" She poked around a little before figuring that there wasn't anything of value. It was so blank and interesting and boring.

Flora shrugged. "He probably hid it or something. He doesn't seem to have a whole lot of... trust." She shrugged, pulling Sequoia out of the room and closing the door behind her. Seeing all the rooms had her brain churning with ideas. Their room was so blank, so impersonal. "I'm going to find some vases...or cups, whichever. I want to put some flowers in our room."

"Oh, grow some gardenias! And lillies! Luke said he liked lillies." Sequoia suggested. "There are cups in the kitchen, right? Wait, don't answer that. There totally are." She grabbed Flora's arm, dragging her down to the kitchen with a grin on her face.

As was probably expected, Luke was in the kitchen when the girls came in. He was pulling out a pot to start dinner in, but it wasn't long before he saw the room was fuller and lit up. Friends being around needed more brainpower, but it was also more fun!

"Hi!" He made sure to greet them, before going back to what he was doing. Had to get the dish set up, then get the ingredients, and make sure friends were okay at the same time. "Ya need some help? Or some food? I'm startin' dinner, gonna be an hour 'til dinner."

Sequoia shook her head. "No, we're good! Can we borrow a couple cups though? Flora wants to grow some flowers." She was already jiggling around in the counters, searching for some cups that would hold stuff. She couldn't use one that was too short or all the flowers would fall out, but one that was too tall wouldn't really work either. Flora joined her after a few moments, rifling through some other cabinets.

"Would you like me to grow you some lilies for the kitchen?" Flora asked. She figured it would be best to ask now while the topic was still fresh on her mind. She pulled a few lilies out of the ground, ready to pick them and pass them over to Luke.

The kitchen had a variety of cups, some more vase-like than others. Luke didn't give the two permission to use them right away like he wanted to, mostly because he wasn't sure if he was allowed to give them permission. He didn't really own anything in the kitchen, he just borrowed it all a lot. But if he was allowed to borrow all this stuff, then Flora could probably borrow it too.

By the time he thought through all of that, Flora was handing him some pretty flowers. He "Oooh"ed at them right away, but before he could say any words, he felt his eyes water up and his heart sink a bit. Oh right, lilies reminded him of...

Oh, Flora'd said some words to him. Keep these in the kitchen? "Uhh..." He scrubbed at his eyes as he tried to make words go, and soon as he was done he ended up saying "No, grow in the garden. Keep in the garden, they stay 'live there. Your pretty flowers. I see in the garden. They grow, stay good. Thank ya though."

Flora bit her lip when Luke started almost but not quite crying. If she'd known she'd make him sad, she wouldn't have grown them at all. She started apologizing and then realized that probably wasn't what Luke wanted to hear. "Uh, I will. Just tell me any flowers you think are pretty and I'll grow them right away."

Sequoia gave a cackle of glee when she unearthed some cups that would be perfect for gardenias, snapping Flora out of her potential downward spiral. Sequoia yanked cups out of the cupboard with reckless abandon until she had covered half the counter in cups.

Flora sighed. "Sequoia, we don't need that many cups." Sequoia only stuck out her tongue in return, picking up as many glasses as she could. Flora smiled gently, picking up the rest of the cups. It looked like she would be growing a bunch of flowers.

"Bye Luke!" Sequoia shouted, trying to jostle cups around so she could wave goodbye, only to realize that she was going to have to set down some cups. There was no way in hell she was going to do that.

Luke gave Flora a nod and a smile to show he was okay, even telling her "Mhm!" when she asked him to tell her about more pretty flowers later. He thought lots of different flowers were pretty, so he'd have to think about it for a little while first. But she was real good at growing flowers, so she probably didn't need his answer super fast.

S'oya said bye first, but her hands were full of cups so she couldn't wave or hug or anything. But that was okay, cause Luke could wave bye for her. "Bye!" He said along with the waving. "Have fun makin' lo'ssa flowers!"

"We will!" Sequoia yelled, jogging out of the kitchen. She slowed a few minutes later when Flora shot her a warning look. With her luck, she'd trip and fall and probably end up with 1000 tiny glass shards stuck in her stomach. A respectable pace was much safer. "So, flowers. We have a bajillion cups and only 1 kind of flower. I suggest you grow some...some...uh, well, I can't remember any other kinds of flowers." Sequoia shot Flora a sheepish grin.

Flora grinned back. "That's fine, we'll think of something. I think daffodils would look nice. and anemones." She reached the room, incredibly grateful that they had left the door open. She dumped all the cups on the bed, brainstorming flowers. Dahlias would be pretty. As would buttercups, freesias, crocus', foxgloves, lavender, or peonies. She would love some peonies in here. Their coral color would really make everything look so much cleaner and nicer. She told Sequoia as much and then set about growing the flowers. Sequoia filled the cups with water and put flowers in them.

Soon everything was covered with flowers. There were still a couple cups left though. And what to do with them "We should give them to people!" Sequoia suggested, staring at the 5 empty cups.

Flora shrugged, and it was done. Five cups of bright orange african daisies were created, one of each set outside someone's room and one set on a random table in a hallway. They really made everything seem much more cheerful.

Unless the inhabitors of said rooms were notified immediately of their new gifts, the reactions to said gifts would be slow. The first was Jacqueline, leaving her room to help Luke in the last steps of preparing dinner. Her response to seeing a bouquet of flowers at her feet was to gasp, then coo "Oh my gooosh, these are so pretty!" and whisk them back into her room.

The next reaction was Dagger, who had exited the lab to check how much time Madi had left for magicking before dinner, and took one look at the kitchen cabinets before blurting out "What the FUCK happened to all our glasses?!"

Sequoia was doodling in her new notebook with a frown on her face. Who knew drawing was so hard? She puffed out a sigh, dramatically tossing it across the bed. "Why is art so hhhhaaaaa-aaarrrd?" She whined, rolling over onto her back.

"Everyone but you, apparently," Flora replied, playing with a vine she had grown in the earth outside the window and extended to reach inside the room. "I think dinner is starting soon. We should probably head down to the kitchen."

Sequoia sighed. "But I don't wanna stand. That takes so much energy." She rolled over again. Despite her insistence that she didn't want to use energy, she sure did have a lot of it. So annoying. If she could just...stop, that would be nice.

"Get up, Lazy," Flora said, muffling a laugh. "Come one, let's go get food. Don't you want food?" Sequoia just groaned in response, prompting Flora to shove her off the bed, haul her to her feet, and usher her into the kitchen. "Is there anything we can help out with?" Flora asked Luke. She wanted to make up for taking at least half the cups. Probably more. She didn't feel bad at all, but repentance was important. Especially when she was a guest

Luke was focused all in on finishing the dinner on the stove, but he heard Flora enough to ask "Set the table? Six plates, six e'erything. All 'round the table. We eat soon, real soon. Almos' done."

He was the only other person in the room when the girls had come in, but it wasn't much longer before Madi peeked her head out of the basement with cat-form Dagger in tow. She looked way more worn out than she had earlier this afternoon, but in no worse a mood for it. She was happy to just plop into a seat at the table and wait for dinner, though.

"Okay. Thank you, Luke." Flora searched the cabinets until she found some plates and then began setting the table. Sequoia had done the same but with silverware and together they quickly set the table. Surprisingly there were enough cups for everyone.

"Hey, Madi! How's potioning going?" Sequoia asked, before realizing that Madi couldn't speak because of the whole potion thing. Oops. She felt kind of bad now, even though Madi probably went through this all the time. "Wait, you can't talk! Sorry! Uh, hey Luke, what's for dinner? Are we having risotto again?"

Back