Deus Ex Machina Apartments

Monster the Vamelfaer

Sells all the Shubi
Apartments
The Sun Level's residential district (known simply as "The Apartments") is a complex collection of skyscrapers of varying height all clustered around one another. Most middle class families or younger nobles live in this area, though many automatons can be found scurrying about as they take care of people's homes. Apartments can vary in lavishness, though generally the richer you are the higher up your apartment will be. In fact, some of the buildings have the newly-invented elevator, sparing its inhabitants from walking up hundreds of stairs. A few of these skyscrapers have small bridges connecting them on the top levels in order to make it easier for residents to visit each other, but as it can get quite windy up there, most prefer to use the ground level for such purposes.

Last edited:
Sylvia West - Sylvia's Apartment

Sylvia didn't live very high up in the Sun level, but it was still high enough for her to get a decent view of the skyline. Her apartment was modest, with enough furnishings to get her by, but nothing to extravagant, which was just how she liked it. She was sitting on one of the couches, with her friends Aaron and Lucian nearby, she was filling the two in on what's been happening in town recently when all of a sudden, the sun went out.

Sylvia had never faced such engulfing darkness before, the most experience she'd had was when she would meet the two near the Dawn Staircase, so she was scared half to death when the world around her went nearly black. She yelped in fear and jumped into Lucian's body, clinging tight to the man she felt most safe with. "What's happening? The sun's gone! Nothing said this was going to happen!" She cried out, burying her face in Lucian's chest.

Lucian Summers - Sylvia's Apartment

Lucian's body stiffened slightly when the woman suddenly attached herself to him. Forcing himself to relax, he awkwardly patted her on the back and shot a glance at Aaron. While the sun vanishing was certainly an interesting development, having lived in the Moon Level all his life, he probably wouldn't have even noticed it was dark until Sylvia pointed out.

Lucian didn't quite have the heart to push Sylvia off of him, so he shuffled closer to the window to get a good look at the sky. It was almost completely dark, save for the pale light of the crescent moon beaming down and the tiny, but beautiful pinpricks of stars. To be honest, Lucian thought stars were just a myth up until that moment. Though his only response to this revelation was simply: "Huh."

Aaron Wilson - The Apartments
While he enjoyed these meetings with Sylvia, Aaron always felt uncomfortable being above. He was a wanted man, and even though it had been years since he had escaped and the chances of him being caught where very slim, he kept glancing nervously at the door; anticipating soldiers to come through at any moment to haul him away.

The one perk to these visits though where these little teacakes sold by a nearby bakery. There was a platter of them on a nearby coffee table and Aaron couldn't stop eating them. They where the most amazing things he had ever tasted. He was about to offer one to Lucian, who seemed to be about to doze off, when suddenly everything went black.

"Wha-" Aaron said through a mouthful of crumbs. Sylvia cried out and immediately lept into Lucian's lap. Aaron caught Lucian's eye. He raised his eyebrow and smirked a little. Under different circumstances Aaron would have busted out laughing. Lucian looked very uncomfortable, but this was serious. He joined Lucian and Sylvia by the window and gazed in wonder at the starry sky. It was beautiful, but Aaron had lived long enough on the Sun Level to know that this was wrong. Very wrong.
"What in Luna's name?"

Syliva West - Sylvia's Apartment

She shook in fear a little bit, though she was comforted by Lucian's pats. To everyone else they were awkward and forced, but to her they were a soothing embrace. Once she'd calmed down she removed her head from Lucian's chest with a slight blush on her cheeks. Bringing herself to look outside, she was in awe of the dots that she learned were stars as they shimmered in the sky. "Why would this happen? The sun has always been here, did something happen to Sol?" Her mind rushed these questions out, frantic for some kind of answer. She lashed out unintentionally at Aaron. "Come on Alfredo! Your goddess is his wife! What's she telling you!"

Lucian let out a breath he hadn't known he was holding once Sylvia wasn't quite so close to him. He liked the girl, but abrupt physical affection was not his fortè. "Maybe Sol is dead," he suggested neutrally. "Though if Sol's dead and the moon's still there... Makes me wonder what's going on with Luna." He furrowed his brow, thinking about the problem he had just posed. Either way, he was suddenly compelled to go to the temple; surely the priests there would have some idea as to what was going on. Though in the back of his mind he cursed as he realized that they probably weren't going to have a shot at their most recent assassination target, at least not with all the chaos that this event would bring. Though if they could manage to find him, they could skew this to their advantage... With both the Sun and Moon Level under cover of darkness, their job would be made a lot easier in some ways. But then, others were probably thinking the same thing. One thing was for sure, he and Aaron would certainly have their work cut out for them until all of this was worked out.

Aaron Wilson - Sylvia's Apartment

Aaron winced as Sylvia called him by his given name. "It Aaron," he muttered. He hated himself for letting that slip.
"We should head to the temple," he said to Lucian; voicing what they both where thinking. "The priests will know whats going on." He knew this was going to put a halt on their mission. They where so close; it was maddening. But there was nothing they could do about it. "If Sol is indeed dead," he shook his head. "There's no telling what state Luna is in."

Aaron's years of training in the temple had taught him that Luna was the most mysterious and unpredictable of all the gods. She could be quietly grieving or preparing to unleash her wrath on the mortal world. Aaron liked neither option, but favored the latter least.

Sylvia's eyes grew a bit panicked as they suggested going back to the Moon Temple. Sylvia hated the moon level, it was too far below ground for her, so she knew she wouldn't be able to go with them, and she was still anxious about the current state of the sun level. "Woah wait a minute. Why do both of you have to go? You'd just leave a poor girl, scared and alone? Lucian, please. I don't want to be alone right now. Alfredo can go by himself cant he?" She looked at Lucian with begging puppy dog eyes, holding enough genuine fear in them to invoke sympathy.

Lucian looked at Aaron with a baleful expression before turning his gaze back to Sylvia. "If this really does have something to do with Luna, we'll both have to be there, Sylvie," he explained. "And I'm not about to let Aaron get a leg up on me in this. We both know I'm the better Blade, hm? Best to keep it that way." Lucian smirked at Aaron with that jibe. With that, he pulled away from Sylvia. "Though if you're really so desparate," I'm going to regret this, aren't I? "You could just come with us. Considering the Moon Level was actually smart enough to install lights, it'll be brighter down there than it is here. If it's the dark you're scared of, that is." His eyes glimmered humorously at that last part.

Aaron - Sylvia's Apartment
Aaron raised an eyebrow at Lucian. "Well, at least I'm not the one who fell asleep during a stakeout." His eyes glinted; as a mischeivious grin spread across his features. He turned towards Sylvia. "Guy would gotten away too, had I not woken him up in time." He patted Sylvia on the shoulder reassuringly. "Don't worry, as long as your wits about you, your money belt close, and don't get too friendly with the locals you'll do fine." He winked. "It's not that bad. Right old friend?"

Sylvia slipped out of both of their reaches, feeling herself wanting to curl up into a ball as the walls started to close in around her. "It's not just the dark. It's the lack of freedom. You cant see a sky down there so it feels like the world wants to collapse on top of you. I cant go to the Moon Level again, never again." She couldn't stop a few tears from flowing, angry that her friends were making jokes in a situation like this. But she shook her head and looked back up. "Just go, speak with Luna and figure this out. Just promise you'll come right back, ok? Please?"

Lucian looked at Sylvia for a moment, then shrugged. "Suit yourself," he said before jerking his head toward the exit. "Let's go, Aaron." At that, Lucian stepped toward the window, then stopped abruptly, having remembered something. He dug in his pockets for a second before turning around and pressing something into Sylvia's hands. "It's broken, but if you fix it, it should last you 'til we get back." He smiled encouragingly at her and removed his hands, revealing a small matchbook and two halves of a candle. Considering it was usually always light in the Sun Level, Lucian figured that most people didn't own anything that would provide adequate lighting up here.

Lucian moved back to the window again, throwing it open. Sure, he could leave through the door, but that wasn't as fun. Besides, his mentors had always told him to take every opportunity to train; extra bonus points if it looked cool while you were doing it. "See you soon, Sylvia," he said before jumping out the window.

"Right behind you." Aaron said as he slipped on his mask and snatched up his staff. He grabbed the last of the teacakes from the platter and stuffed them in his pockets. "Chin up. We'll be back. I know we will." He grinned at her through his mask. "Don't burn that all up at once." And with that he leaped out of the window after Lucian.

Sylvia was about three seconds away from slapping Lucian in the face for his heartless comments when he suddenly shoved something in her hands. It turned out to be a matchbook and a candle that was broken in half. Before she even had a chance to say thank you, he and Aaron were out of her window. All she could do was stare at where they landed, a goofy grin on her face as she tried to follow them. "Stupid Luci." She said endearingly to no one as she set about fixing and lighting the candle.

Lucian Summers - Apartments
The little trio made it up to the Sun Level with little to no trouble, although Lucian found himself a little irritated that he got shown up by Luna. To be fair, it wasn't so bad to be beaten by a goddess, but of course he didn't see it that way. He led the way up the stairs to Sylvia's apartment, ignoring the nervous glance they earned from someone they passed on the way. When he reached the door, he paused, then knocked, standing back to wait patiently.

@Raging Glowworm

Sylvia West - Apartments

Sylvia had managed to tape the candle that Lucian gave her together, and had burned through three quarters of it when a knock came at her apartment door. For the second time that day, Sylvia let out a yelp of fright as she wasn't the boys to actually use her door this time. When she opened it up though, there they were, she let out a sigh of relief upon seeing Lucian again. "You came back." She said, before noticing an attractive woman standing next to them.

Sylvia couldn't help but feel a bit of jealousy spike in the back of her mind as she let the trio into her apartment. She took a seat next to Lucian and gave the new woman a cold stare. "Who's she? One of your friends in the Luna's Blades or something?"

Luna - Sylvia's Apartment
"My name is Rosanna." Luna said cooly. "I am a cousin of Lucian's." She studied the woman in front of her intently; her expression blank.

Aaron felt his stress level go down a bit as they arrived at Sylvia's door. He couldn't shake the feeling that they where being followed. He checked multiple times but there was no one there. Hiding a goddess was more nerve wracking than he thought.

Then the door opened and Sylvia and Luna where staring daggers in each other's eyes. "Oh boy," he said under his breath. This was going to be so much fun.

Lucian shot a look at Luna. It wasn't completely a lie; she probably was a distant cousin of his (or more likely a great, great aunt or something), but he hadn't been planning on keeping her identity from Sylvia. She'd been working with them long enough that he trusted her to keep their secret, and it didn't seem fair to block her out now. He told himself he'd explain everything to Sylvia later when Luna wasn't around. Regardless, Lucian absently gave Sylvia one of the lamps he had brought from the temple; a much more permanent solution than the candle.

"Rosanna's..." it felt strange to say that name. "In danger. She needs us to shelter her until her pursuers give up chase, but Aaron and I think the Moon Level is too dangerous at the moment. We thought you might know of a safer place up here. But it's important that it's secluded; no one can know she's here."

Sylvia raised an eyebrow at 'Rosanna's' claim and quickly looked to Lucian to see his reaction. The look he seemed to be giving the new girl told her everything she needed to know. She had just lied and she hadn't filled Lucian in on that plan. She decided to play along for now, but she'd talk to Lucian about this later. "Funny, you never mentioned having a cousin before. But I suppose I can help. As for safe places, from what I've seen the sun level's in chaos right now. There aren't going to be many safe places to hide her because most of those places are going to be taken by other people wanting to hide. I could set her up in the cargo hold of my plane, but that's not really meant for living in."

Luna - Sylvia's Apartment
"I can manage," Luna said shortly. She didn't seem pleased with the suggestion, but she didn't put out any alternative. She turned to Lucian. "I assume we can get there unnoticed?"

"That shouldn't be too difficult," Aaron chimed in. "We could say she's a new crew member." He paused. "But we'll need for you to change clothes." He turned to Sylvia. "You guys are about the same size, got any pilot's gear she could borrow?" Sylvia probably wouldn't be happy with that. But they couldn't just waltz into any shop and buy that stuff without looking suspicious.

Back