New User Back at it - Hello there!

Hydrangea

Hey everyone, I'd like to thank whomever is hopping in to just to read my introduction from the start. My name is Samuel, and it's been a few years since I've last roleplayed through forums. I frequented gaiaonline from middle school to somewhere through high school, avidly posting and I can attribute much of my writing success and developed personality from my experiences there. Now, I'm 23 and male and have moved across the country to start my own business (currently shutdown due to Covid) and looking to get back into some of my old hobbies.

Roleplay chief among them, has been one of my favorite pastimes and a good creative outlet. I'm looking to jump into some fantasy roleplays should it be available, and have started looking through a few already - please feel free to say hello to me here and ask anything! Before I started my own business I majored in journalism (roleplay helped a lot with storytelling) and don't mind all kinds of questions.

Hope to hear from others soon!

Hello! Sorry to hear about your business but welcome back! I do have a question about your preferences. What subgenre of fantasy do you enjoy? Urban Fantasy, Medieval Fantasy, Sci-Fi Fantasy, or just Classic Fantasy (I guess the subgenres have more to do with the setting than genre).

Personally I enjoy medieval and classic fantasy the most, but sci-fi has been an interest of mine and after watching a few people play Call of Cthulhu urban fantasy has it's own appeal. The first two would just be my personal favorites; and no worries with the business! It's heavily focused on interpersonal communication, can't do much of that with social distancing to keep everyone safe so we're just waiting on the go ahead to get back to it.

I have a lot of favorite series if that counts! The first that comes to mind when you ask would be The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, and I appreciate the warm welcome. It looks like you're pretty avid about welcoming everyone to the forums thanks for the support ^^

I have a lot of favorite series if that counts! The first that comes to mind when you ask would be The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, and I appreciate the warm welcome. It looks like you're pretty avid about welcoming everyone to the forums thanks for the support ^^

I've read a lot of books but I've never read that one so I'll have to be sure to look it up!! And yes I love welcoming everyone, I feel like everyone deserves it. And it's a nice way to make friends and get to know everyone!!

It's a good series, The Last Apprentice, Artemis Fowl, Ranger's Apprentice, and the Dragonlance series are all pretty memorable for me.
The first introduction definitely helps with first impressions, I look forward to reaching out through the available RP forums; I've found a few that look interesting but I'll keep posting here and anywhere that's needed till I have permission to post elsewhere. It's recommended to go post in OOC forums first as well, right?

Welcome to STC! I'm new here myself :) I was excited to hear that you'd read The Knife of Never Letting Go!! Despite the movie coming out soon, there are very few people I've met who have read it. The whole Chaos Walking series is great!! Definitely one of the best YA series I've read. I hope you find something exciting here for you!

Started posting elsewhere Mai, appreciate the link I remember browsing it last night as I joined just before going to sleep. Will keep an eye out on the forums!

Hey Raw, appreciate the welcome ^^ I don't meet many that have gone through the series either but it's one of my favorites that I read back then and it always come to mind often when I think about series that I've enjoyed. I'm looking forward to the movie but the setbacks keep me out of the loop for sure! Hopefully I'll find something entertaining around and see you in the forums.

Hey Hydrangea, nice to meet you. I'm new too, only a few days more than you to be honest. The approval process goes fairly quickly, so don't sweat that. The people I've interacted with are nice, and I can't wait to get into something story wise with this group.

Like you I started on gaia way more years ago than I want to admit to. I don't know how you feel about it these days, but I feel like rp quality has dropped a little over there over the years. A lot of people all want bare bones things with no real story meat. It was a good place to learn though, and I'm hoping to continue growing here on this site.

Anyway, fantasy is one of my favorites too. When you do get your approval, feel free to check out the bulletin board. I'm trying to round up a few people to get something started.

Hey Niiyuke, I saw your profile mention that too! I started roleplaying there about 10 years ago, and it was a great experience. I remember joining an RP that helped with my grammar and sentence structure because the mods would call me out, edit posts and highlight my errors in red and personally I'm rather petty so improving was my only option ^^

But yeah, I looked at the active RPs there and the activity was a bit disappointing with little to no substance that had initially excited me back then. Thankfully I feel like there will be plenty of opportunity to reach out and try out some RPs, I'll definitely keep an eye out on the bulletin board. Trying to see where the best fits would be starting out.

Hey, nothing wrong with a little help now and then. I love reading, so I tend to learn from the authors I like so much. Detail is good, but I loath the ones who spend four pages detailing out one little fountain that you will never hear about again.

I was sadly disappointed the last time I spent any time there. I do have one still active private thread there, but we will see how long that lasts. Due to unforeseen events, it's been on a pause while we wait for one of the people to sort real life out. Oh well. Nothing I can do but wait and see what happens.

Did you draw your own avi?

Unfortunately not, I don't have much artistic talent but a good friend of mine does. A group of friends and I are developing a game right now that heavily involves RP over comms, tile based combat and characters and more so we get our art commissioned ^^ This is my latest character for our 3rd generation and my Discord photo which got pulled over when I linked the account.

I'm excited to flesh him out as a character moving forward, it'll probably be a year or more that I get to play as him. Do you like to draw?

Sadly I lack any and all talent in the drawing department. I normally just barrow photos from google. I admire people who can draw though. It's a lot of hard work.

So it's like D and D right? I wish you the best with that. I wanted to join a tabletop group when I was in college, but I decided not to when they handed me a book of rules about the size of the dictionary. They said I had to memorize it just to join their group. I was already studying in school, why would I want to study to be allowed to play?

It's a healthy mix of D&D roleplay and world building, with a lot of combat inspired by games like Fire Emblem; we'll be streaming gameplay of it throughout the year ^^ As for the books for D&D I can understand the hesitancy there, I've played very little actual D&D but that startup can be difficult but that team you were involved with doesn't seem very eager to help a new player settle in. The books involved are great guides but in no way should it be needed to be memorized lol Hope you get the chance to give it a try one day, one-shots are a great opportunity for most to give it a chance.

Sounds like a good time. I've watched D&D played online a few times, and the groups look like they have so much fun. It's probably didn't help that that group was already involved with a quest when I found out about them. I don't bare them any ill will, but I agree with you. They weren't the most accommodating to newbies. Recently I was invited to a D&D session that a rp buddy of mine does online. I'm hesitant after my experience, but she is a good woman. I doubt she will leave me behind. I just have to work up the nerve I suppose and learn.

If you need any help let me know I can go over it a bit with you, I think it's more than worthwhile to give it a try but it's up to you and you should take it at your own pace. Online D&D can be fun for sure, and with the right party it can be a load of fun. Writing experience will help you for sure when developing a character and getting immersed, for some it's difficult to translate to being vocal about your actions and conversations but its a fun mix to get into ^^

I'll keep that in mind. Congrats by the way. I see you have lost the new status. have fun diving into the rest of this joint.

Back