New User BEHOLD... eh its just me a new user nothin special

Sans

I am a new user I really enjoy rp the old rp site I went to was e chat where I had a online best friend we would go to a lot of rooms in e chat and one day he just vanished I was really happy when I went and found him in a chat and we would rp a lot but since it shut down I have really missed the site after a long time of being sad until I found this place its worth a shot a little bit annoying because of you needing a approved account but its alright :D this is the sans and I am out... BUT WAIT don't we need stuff from real life in this post hmm... imma just say this I was born in Ćevapi land aka Bosnia/Serbia

Hey there and welcome :)

To be 100% honest, I never much cared for doing introduction posts myself :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I joke that we made it mandatory here to share the pain of writing these things :emoji_innocent:

Joking aside though, we do understand that the approval process isn't peoples most favorite thing in the world so we try to keep it fairly smooth and painless. The idea is just to make sure new arrivals have read our rules and policies and to ensure that they understand and respect what we're trying to build here enough to put the effort in even if it may be a little annoying.

Fun fact! Since Storyteller's Circle opened in November of 2016, we have only ever had to ban 3 users, and have only about a dozen users with any sort of altercations that resulted in requiring staff intervention. We strongly credit the largely peaceful atmosphere here to our approval process. It really helps draw in people that are interested in the spirit of Storyteller's Circle :) People who aren't interested in our policies tend to just walk away.

That you have posted an introduction despite finding the process annoying tells me right away that you respect our policies :) And that's what we really look for in people. People who respect each other, and respect our shared forum space. So thank you!

That all said, I will note that our chat is a discord channel. We used to have a live chat forum side, but we discontinued it due to lack of use. I HAVE considered getting a shout-box style chat added to the forum in the future though, but it's just on the idea back-burner for now. We do have a neat feature though once you get approved. Our 'PM' system allows for multiple participants so you can have group PMs with friends.

Also out of curiosity may I ask why you don't want to use discord? There's nothing wrong with not using it, of course, and we have other users who choose not to use it as well. But knowing people's reasons will help me as an admin to understand people's preferences and why.

Welcome! I don't use Discord, either, and have not really missed anything because of it, but I know a lot of other players love using Discord, so it is completely up to you and your preferences. I hope you enjoy your new rp home!

Hey there and welcome :)

To be 100% honest, I never much cared for doing introduction posts myself :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I joke that we made it mandatory here to share the pain of writing these things :emoji_innocent:

Joking aside though, we do understand that the approval process isn't peoples most favorite thing in the world so we try to keep it fairly smooth and painless. The idea is just to make sure new arrivals have read our rules and policies and to ensure that they understand and respect what we're trying to build here enough to put the effort in even if it may be a little annoying.

Fun fact! Since Storyteller's Circle opened in November of 2016, we have only ever had to ban 3 users, and have only about a dozen users with any sort of altercations that resulted in requiring staff intervention. We strongly credit the largely peaceful atmosphere here to our approval process. It really helps draw in people that are interested in the spirit of Storyteller's Circle :) People who aren't interested in our policies tend to just walk away.

That you have posted an introduction despite finding the process annoying tells me right away that you respect our policies :) And that's what we really look for in people. People who respect each other, and respect our shared forum space. So thank you!

That all said, I will note that our chat is a discord channel. We used to have a live chat forum side, but we discontinued it due to lack of use. I HAVE considered getting a shout-box style chat added to the forum in the future though, but it's just on the idea back-burner for now. We do have a neat feature though once you get approved. Our 'PM' system allows for multiple participants so you can have group PMs with friends.

Also out of curiosity may I ask why you don't want to use discord? There's nothing wrong with not using it, of course, and we have other users who choose not to use it as well. But knowing people's reasons will help me as an admin to understand people's preferences and why.
because discord once you delete an account you cant actually make another account with the email also as a user i really trust said
  • One user quit using Discord because it demanded she/he fill out a Google reCAPTCHA, apparently because she was connecting through Tor.
    Google CAPTCHAs may not work with many people like the user stated in the post
  • Discord insists on tracking users. If a user connects through a VPN, Discord demands that user provide a phone number.
  • Discord locks accounts that don't have associated phone numbers. When an account is locked, also called "deactivated", the user is not allowed to make real use of it until person adds a phone number.
  • Discord may demand to talk with you by phone if it decides you are suspicious— for instance, if you contact it via Tor.
    If I understand right, if you use Discord regularly via Tor you would need to carry that phone with you all the time. A burner phone, one what you possess only for a short time, would not be allowed to do the job.
    Thus, whoever uses Discord gets tracked either by the Discord server (and anyone looking at where the packets are coming from) or by the phone.
  • Users report that Discord shut off their accounts and won't tell them why.
  • I would appreciate suggestions of other pages to use as factual references for specific wrongs committed by Discord, or to correct on a trustworthy basis any false accusations in the page linked to above.
The Discord web site also offers nonfree application programs. You shouldn't use them, naturally, but they are a separate issue from using the communications system itself.

Reportedly the Discord web app sends tracking data to /science instead of the usual /track, so as to thwart extensions to limit tracking. Reportedly there is a switch that disables (some) data collection, but it doesn't affect the sending of tracking data to the server.

that is why i dont use discord

Sans, I can definitely appreciate the want for privacy. I joined Discord for a writing partner of mine and that is the only reason. Personally, I hate having to get an entire separate application besides my login for STC to chat. I used the old chatbox in STC extensively for private chat and collaborations with other writers. Since the chatbox in STC was discontinued I've struggled to stay active in any kind of chat.

However, I think that if you're content with primarily writing there are a few of us that are open to PMs and discussing potential roleplays that way. I know I do that with people that are not on Discord. There is always a work around on these things. I hope you find a way that works for you and that you enjoy your time here.

Sans, I can definitely appreciate the want for privacy. I joined Discord for a writing partner of mine and that is the only reason. Personally, I hate having to get an entire separate application besides my login for STC to chat. I used the old chatbox in STC extensively for private chat and collaborations with other writers. Since the chatbox in STC was discontinued I've struggled to stay active in any kind of chat.

However, I think that if you're content with primarily writing there are a few of us that are open to PMs and discussing potential roleplays that way. I know I do that with people that are not on Discord. There is always a work around on these things. I hope you find a way that works for you and that you enjoy your time here.
i dont know if i can even make a discord account my old one i deleted isnt really deleted when i enter the email for sign up it says email already registered but when i log in it says invalid email or password

@Sans Thank you! I personally never much cared who is tracking me or why but I never do anything I care about being tracked :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I understand this is a strong line-in-the-sand for a lot of people though. I do hope to get something offered in the future for people that don't like to use discord.

@Silence That need to have a separate application is why I held off on an integrated discord for so long. I only made the transition after the on-site chat fell into disuse (we had several issues with it but stuck it out as long as it was being used). BUT I DO want to get something that people can use on-site eventually. Unfortunately at the moment, we're limited to pre-built ad-ons that sometimes don't quite match what we're looking for, or have failings that we don't like, or bugs that we can't fix. That said, I am looking to take some web-design and development classes this fall, along with several programming languages. For career reasons, but I fully intend to make use of my learnings to spiff the place up some more. I would love to be able to offer something for people who don't like discord. But that's a while off yet, so not even a hint of a potential time-table at the moment.

@Sans Thank you! I personally never much cared who is tracking me or why but I never do anything I care about being tracked :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I understand this is a strong line-in-the-sand for a lot of people though. I do hope to get something offered in the future for people that don't like to use discord.

@Silence That need to have a separate application is why I held off on an integrated discord for so long. I only made the transition after the on-site chat fell into disuse (we had several issues with it but stuck it out as long as it was being used). BUT I DO want to get something that people can use on-site eventually. Unfortunately at the moment, we're limited to pre-built ad-ons that sometimes don't quite match what we're looking for, or have failings that we don't like, or bugs that we can't fix. That said, I am looking to take some web-design and development classes this fall, along with several programming languages. For career reasons, but I fully intend to make use of my learnings to spiff the place up some more. I would love to be able to offer something for people who don't like discord. But that's a while off yet, so not even a hint of a potential time-table at the moment.
now since im gonna have to join discord for it... HOW AM I GONNA MAKE A NEW EMAIL I DONT WANNA LOSE MEH EMAIL now i dont know what to do either i stay and do discord possibly losing my old address cause i forgot my password or leave the site completely

You are always welcome to use the site for RPing and post in the forums and such. You do not have to use Discord to use this site. However, if you want to use Discord, it is very simple and easy to create a Gmail account using Google without using your old email address. If you already have a Gmail email (that's fun to say) you can add a new account onto your existing account and have both.

If you want to retrieve your old Discord address, you can use the "Forgot my Password" option, and they will send you a temporary password via email. Once you log in using the temporary password, then you change your password to a new one.

now since im gonna have to join discord for it... HOW AM I GONNA MAKE A NEW EMAIL I DONT WANNA LOSE MEH EMAIL now i dont know what to do either i stay and do discord possibly losing my old address cause i forgot my password or leave the site completely

Like Treasure said, you don't need to use the discord. It's in no way mandatory. The discord is mostly just where some people hang out to chat OOC when they're not roleplaying. All the roleplay for the most part goes on, in the forums. We have users that have never used the discord and there's nothing wrong with that :)

You are always welcome to use the site for RPing and post in the forums and such. You do not have to use Discord to use this site. However, if you want to use Discord, it is very simple and easy to create a Gmail account using Google without using your old email address. If you already have a Gmail email (that's fun to say) you can add a new account onto your existing account and have both.

If you want to retrieve your old Discord address, you can use the "Forgot my Password" option, and they will send you a temporary password via email. Once you log in using the temporary password, then you change your password to a new one.
eh imma try using a hotmail.com email imma see if it works ill tell ya if it does

Like Treasure said, you don't need to use the discord. It's in no way mandatory. The discord is mostly just where some people hang out to chat OOC when they're not roleplaying. All the roleplay for the most part goes on, in the forums. We have users that have never used the discord and there's nothing wrong with that :)
yay i was able to do it with an outlook email im in discord now sooo whats the name of the discord server

Would this be THE Sans? The one that wiped the floor with me in Undertale? I'm honored to be in such esteemed company.

Anyways, welcome to the site. Once you get the chance, and if you're approved, be sure to check out the Bulletin Board to get started. It's a great place for just starting out. Also yeah, the discord isn't mandatory, you don't need it all to be on here.

Discord locks accounts that don't have associated phone numbers. When an account is locked, also called "deactivated", the user is not allowed to make real use of it until person adds a phone number.

I have never experienced this. I've never associated my Discord with my phone number, and my account hasn't been locked by Discord.

because discord once you delete an account you cant actually make another account with the email

Again, I've never seen an example of this. I've deleted a Discord account before, and I was able to make a new one just fine with the same email.

Discord insists on tracking users. If a user connects through a VPN, Discord demands that user provide a phone number.

All sites track users. In fact, I'm being tracked right now, as we speak. It's just a fact we live with. The times that I do use a VPN, Discord has never asked me for my phone number, and I've never had to provide it. Also, it probably depends if you're using the app or the web browser function.

Users report that Discord shut off their accounts and won't tell them why.

Okay, this one I do know. This has something to do with their rules. They will deactivate an account, and will require confirmation of identity or something to reactivate it. They usually do this because some part of a user account requires either confirmation of some sort, or a Discord rule was found in violation.

i dont know if i can even make a discord account my old one i deleted isnt really deleted when i enter the email for sign up it says email already registered but when i log in it says invalid email or password

I'm pretty sure Discord deactivated your account for what I said in the explanation above this one. A couple of accounts were deactivated like yours. It could have been because if you put your age as 18 or older, you have to confirm that you are that age. They like recently updated it to where you have to now prove your age or something like that. You have to send them stuff like your name, and a photo of you alongside a piece of identification like your driver's license or something to confirm that you are really that age. They require this so that minors can't access 18+ sections, since apparently you were able to just put in any arbitrary age when you signed up. They fixed it to where if your account says that you're over 18, you have to actually prove it. Of course, for you, it could be something different.

So yeah that's about it. I can understand wanting privacy. I, myself, have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I'm tracked on a day-to-day basis, and I've come to live with it. It's just another normal occurrence for me. Though it's pretty easy to function here without Discord, I did it for a while.

Back