Conley Brothers

Camilla didn't object to being guided away, barely hanging on to conciousness as it was. "Leon what is it?" Felix had assured her back then that the dark one would not come back and until now, it hadnt.

Star looked up at him before hugging on to his arm "scared" he said simply back

"I don't know exactly," Leon admitted, "butI'm going to protect you. Here, lay down and rest. You need to rest." He laid her down on his bed carefully.

Vlad stopped and knelt, wrapping his arms around Star for a few precious seconds. "I'm here."

Starnacht hung on to him tightly, he didn't want to let go, his whole body was trembling. The dark was supposed to be safe. And for a second time, it was not safe.

Vlad kissed the top of Star's head then stood. "We need to keep going, but I want you to be safe. Will you wait with Claudius while I take care of things with Felix? Then I'll come back for you. I don't want you traveling back to wagon alone with that thing out and about."

He nodded, looking back towards Claudius's cage wagon "ok..I wait there" he agreed, he felt safe with his new friend, he had already protected him once so made sense

Vlad squeezef his shoulder gently. "Good. I just hope the twins are alright," he sighed. But he couldn't be two or three places at once, so he just had to hope they slept through all this. "Hurry now, alright? And be safe." He turned and started toward Felix's tend again.

Star nodded and did a quick step through the shadows and into the cage where he sat in the corner and hugged his knees to his chest, gripping the star pendant in one hand

Claudius felt aggitated. At first, he'd blamed it on that Kazimir fellow, but no, it wasn't that. There was something sinister in the air.

Then Star poofed into being.

Claudius squawked in shock as he turned, scrambling to defend or attack until he recognized Star. "Don't startle me!" he snarled angrily. "I might have hurt you!" He took a deep breath, trying to calm down, but he'd come this close to attacking his little friend.

Star rubbed tears from his eyes "I am sorry" he said quietly, pulling his shoulders up more "you want for me to go?" He was trying to keep his voice steady

Claudius frowned as he looked at Star. "You are crying. Why are you crying? Has someone made you cry?" he demanded, crouching low to meet Star's level.

He shook his head a little "there is dark thing in night...it scare me..shadow is safe but now not safe...." he attempted to explain

Claudius growled softly as he glanced toward the tarped sides of his cage. So that was what he'd been feeling. Then he softened as he looked at little Star. His little Star creature needed help. He hesitated as he reached out Star, pulling back twice, but the third time he reached all the way and gripped Star's arm. Well, more of loosely encircled Star's bicep with his long fingers. He stood and gently tugged on Star's arm, wordlessly trying to get him to follow.

~~

Vlad knocked loudly on Felix's wagon door. He waited only a moment before knocking again.

Star didn't need much coaxing to move towards him, surprised but certainly not apposed in any way. He wanted to be comforted, he was just a kid..

--

Felix answered, only half dressed "what?" He growled in annoyance at being woken

Claudius guided Star to his nest and sat the little fellow down before wrapping his special blanket carefully around Star's shoulder and handed him the pillow, expecting Star to hug it. Then he sat down cross-legged next to the nest. "Safe," he growled. "No one will touch you in here."

~~

"Adanya and Chibi were attacked, your sister tried to help, and right now she's with Leon and barely conscious," Vlad said flatly.

Star sat for a moment in the nest, he recognized the gesture and didn't want to push it so he curled up so he was barely touching Claudius's leg, being close helped to comfort him, hugging thr pillow instead of Claudius

-

"Shit" he cursed and quickly stepped down "attacked how? By who?" He demanded, more urgent than sharp

Claudius looked down at the touch briefly but did not pull away. He recognized Star wanted the touch, but he wasn't sure how to give that to him. The idea of a hug never occured to him. Still, he shifted to let Star press against his leg more fully.

~~

"Some kind of dark shape, and Camilla said there was some kind of darkness in Adanya and Chibi," Vlad said, leading the way. "Kazimir is looking after them. For as well as he can."

Star snuggled closer to him when he shifted, his long tail instinctively wrapped around Claudius to keep him close "thank you..."

-

He nodded a little, a fixed frown on his face "go and check on the rest. Make sure none others have been attacked

Claudius looked down at him. "You are my friend. My only friend with Camilla being the other. I will do whatever I can. I cannot do much, but I can protect you."

~~

"Isn't that a job for your two-legged dog? I have children to look after," Vlad reminded him a little sharply.

"I know..safe here...is good" he said and seemed to be relaxing, his hold on tje star pendant loosened a bit

-

"Just do it" Felix said, though he spoke sharply, that wasn't what Vlad heard, laying on the charm magic to get Vlad to do what he wanted

Claudius patted the top of Star's head lightly then turned his attention back to his vigil.

~~

"Not unless you can find someone to look after the twins. I've left them alone long enough," Vlad said calmly, turning away from Felix. Normally, he would obey Felix, but his need to look after his three charges was far stronger than any power Felix had over him right now.

Back