Conley Brothers

She shook her head, slowly starting to relax at that point "No I'm ok" she said softly "just panicked...I'm sorry...I'm supposed to protect you..." she felt guilty. He was her charge and she had just lost all sense of herself in a panic. "You're ok?"

Claudius crouched in front of her, studying her for a long moment. Then he asked, "Why do you hide yourself?" He could not remember ever asking her that, but now he felt he wanted to know.

"Because I am scared" she sighed "I know....I shouldn't be...but I am" her voice was still soft "Felix finds me disgusting" if her own brother thought that she had always feared others would to and she had a strong need to feel loved

"Then he is a fool," Claudius said bluntly. He eyed her for a moment before saying, "You should go see Vlad. He is better than I."

"I think he has enough on his plate with his brother here and the kids" she was good at helping others but not so good at getting it for herself when ahe needed it

Claudius glared now, a slight spark in his eyes. "You need to go," he said sternly. Then he rethought his approach with a speed that surprised himself. "I am certain I heard trouble in his area. He needs your help."

Her brow furrowed a little "trouble? What sort of trouble?" She suspected what he was trying to do of course but part of her also worried there was trouble. It was her nature

Claudius shrugged as he moved farther back into the cage and sat on his nest. "How should I know? I cannot hear that much. You should find out. Now I am tired."

She nodded a little and rubbed her eyws once more to male sure there were no more tears before she stood up. Her hands still trembled a little. Anxiety like that had a way of draining a person amd making them shaky "I'll come back later" she assured him before she slipped away and went looking for Vlad

Claudius sighed and laid down. His head ached!! It felt like there were... shadows and echoes of other voices and memories in his head. No, not voices, just one. One great, horrible, compelling voice! Maybe if he slept it would go away. He was just tired, that was all.

Vlad was with the twins keeping an eye on them. Kazimir stood a ways away entertaining folks with slight of hand and quick tricks.

It didn't take long for Camilla to find him, glancing around but saw no trouble about. That made her smile a little. Claudius was just trying to help and it had worked. Vlad always made her feel better, sometimes without even realizing it or trying

Vlad finished sorting a brief squabble between the twins then turned, catching sight of her immediately. "Ah, Miss Camilla!" he greeted warmly. "What brings you here on this busy day?"

~~

Keith tapped lightly on his master's door, hoping to find him there.

She smiled a little, she hadn't really spoken to him much during their travel time. She hadn't talked to anyone really. "Nothing really just..came to see if you needed help" she shrugged a little

-

Felix answered after a moment, adjusting his suit even as he was answering. "Keith" he smiled "come in" he invited, glad it wasn't well..pretty much anyone else

Vlad considered as he studied her. He could see the faintest tracks of tears on her cheek, something no casual observer would pick up, but he knew her. He smiled faintly. "I could use a little help, yes. I am having trouble with setting things up. I could use an extra hand."

~~

Keith climbed in and bowed to his master. "I found someone for you, Master. Someone young! They saw things they should not have seen. Two little ones. One will not talk. The other has a loud mouth. One is not so easy to miss as two."

Camilla smiled a little more at this. Helping people helped her feel better. "Great! Just tell me what to do"

-

Felix raised a brow but there was a shadow of a smile "saw what exactly?"

Vlad led her over to his apparently infinite trunk and explained what he needed help with. He was actually making it up as he went, but he managed to make it sound smooth and convincing.

~~

"Your sister with the creature she keeps. She was not wearing her ring, then the boy, he said something that made the creature very angry," Keith explained. "I thought he was going to kill the child then."

She seemed happy to help, distracting her from her thoughts for a little while. "How is Star liking his new room?" She meant the little wagon they had set up for him, just recently finished.

--

Felix nodded "and where is this child now?"

"I think he likes having his own space to sleep and rest without the racket of everyone else waking him up. I am not certain he has had his own space before now," Vlad said as he laid out a bunch of colorful flags.

~~

"I saw him last near the jugglers," Keith told him. "I think the sister wishes to leave."

"Good" she smiled "hopefully it helps muffle daytime noises for him too so he can alwep better" ahe knew he had been having a hard time sleeping since people were out and about during the day. That could not be helped

--

Felix nodded "we can't let them go seeing what they have seen" he reasoned "children go missing all the time and I know they crave young souls. Two should make them happy" magic or not they would be acceptable payments

"It does seem to help," he smiled. "And you? How are you sleeping?"

~

Keith smiled happily, pleased he'd judged the situation correctly. "I will fetch them! They will not leave."

Back