(Fantasy/Magic/Academy) Stahlhiem College of Magic

If you're interested in joining which race would you be?

• Borderman

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Britainnian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Griffin Civilian

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Verdiantkin

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Hammer Folk

• Wastelander

• Total voters

ChelonianCommander

Strength of Steel, Will of Iron
Setting

A medieval world that is a mixture of high and Arthurian fantasy as well as
hints of Renaissance and steampunk tech.

Introduction

Magic is the blueprint of life. Ever since people were capable of reasoning, they were capable of using magic and all its glory, though some more then most. This is where the College comes in. For many generations the Stahlhiem College has been the seat of many powerful mages, wizards, witches and warlocks, all from different walks of life and all from different nations and races. Here the college provides students the opportunity to learn and hone their abilities so that they won't harm themselves or others around them.

Playable Races and Factions

In this World, known as the Auraga, there lives many races and factions capable of magical abilities. These are the people who attend the college and will one day graduate stronger then ever, or die trying.
-Bordermen: A human of the 'technologically advanced' Border Empire. While the Border Empire sports the most advancements in technology, due to things like the Repeater Pepper Gun, or the Steam Driven Ram, the Border Empire still acknowledges the use of magic as...useful, so should a youth discovers his magical abilities, the Empire is more then happy to send the youth a healthy grant to put him through college, given he pays back that grant with several decades of service.

-Britainnian: A human of the honorable, courageous, xenophobic, country of knights and lords, Britain. The people of Britain are rather suspicious of magic as it was witches that caused all those food shortages and it was wizards who kept the rains from falling, as well as mages who spawned all those bandits to attack the lowly peasants. Still as a lowly peasant yourself, who just happens to have a natural gift of magic, it is up to you to stop all those bad wizards and witches by fighting fire with fire.

-Griffin Civilian: The Griffin Kingdoms are a small, but powerful faction located near the Border Empire, due to a pact a past leader of the Griffin Nomads made with a past leader of the Border Tribes. The Griffin Kingdoms are a proud and noble faction, known for their relationship with the Griff-Beasts they have in their care. Given one of these creatures at a young age, the magically inclined are no exception as each youth of the Griffin Kingdoms arrive with one of these creatures in tow.

-Verdantkin: The Verdantkin are a race of pointed eared humanoids found in the mysterious forests of Verdant-Home. The Verdantking come in two flavors, based on what time they were born in; pale skin and blue eyes if born during the day and dark skinned with red eyes if born at night. While Verdantkin are all magically incline, and they do have colleges of their own, due to their current lack of experienced mages due to failed crusade against the Wastelanders, the Verdantkin had no choice but to send their youths to colleges outside of Verdanthome, and it just so happens the closest one is Stahlhiem College

-Hammer Folk: The Hammer Folk are known as such as early in their creation, their god went on a drinking binge and dropped his hammer onto a human man and a human woman, making them stunted. Still that drunken god might have done right as the Hammer Folk are a hardy, hard working and innovative people, with the ability to use magic to boot. Those Hammer Folk capable of using magic travel to the College with a gleam in their eyes, a pouch fill of gold and a flask filled with liquor.

-Wastelander: The Wastelanders are a green skinned people found in the Northern Wastes. Due to the many, many, many, many, many airborne, waterborne, food-borne diseases, combined with the fact that many flora and fauna in the Northern Wastes are pretty much deadly to all known forms of life, almost nothing can live in the Northern Wastes, save for the Wastelanders. Foul and unkempt, the Wastelanders have the rotting skin of undead, the green ting of the sick and are ripe with mutations. Still Wastelanders are capable of magic just the same as every other race and due to the lack of colleges in the Northern Wastes, the magically gifted individuals are sent to Stahlhiem College.

Non-Playable Races and Factions
-Void Born: The Void Born used to be citizens of a nation known as the Old Empire, but due to large cataclysm, the citizens of the Old Empire had their souls transported to a location known as the Void. There they stayed and there they lived until one day during some experiments an unknown witch attempted to animate a suit of armor with the use of magic, but instead bound a soul trapped in the Void into the armor instead. And thus after a few centuries the Void Born are now a major player in Auraga. However being undead the Void Born are incapable of using magic themselves, but are near immune to the effects of magic, meaning the Void Born in Stahlhiem College are primarily there to guard the students from magical kidnappers and to protect the people of Stahlhiem from the students themselves should the need arises.

-Tunnel Goblins: While Tunnel Goblins are capable of using magic, those who do are extremely dangerous and unstable, sometimes overexerting themselves and exploding, releasing blood, gore and bones in all direction. The Tunnel Goblins found in Stahlheim are the non-magical kind and thus cowardly by nature, and is very much willing to work for food, water, shelter and sometimes a handful of copper coins, mostly because its shiny and a pouchful of copper makes a very good tool to take care of that bothersome Grobbie who stole the last piece of bacon.

Schools of Magic

Magic can be classified in various types known as Schools. All Mages are capable of using only one school, maybe 2 or 3 should the Mage reaches a certain age or skill, but doing so might cause the Mage's head to pop like a balloon, having use to much magic at once. As Youths you will only be allowed to study only ONE school of Magic.
-School of Fire: Creation and manipulation fire
-School of Ice: Creation and manipulation of ice
-School of Thunder: Creation and manipulation thunder
-School of Winds: Creation and manipulation of wind
-School of Nature: Manipulation of plants and earth
-School of Plague: Manipulation of diseases and illnesses
-School of Beasts: Communication and control of beasts
-School of Metal: Alteration and manipulation of metal
-School of Life: Healing of the body and mind
-School of Death: Resurrection and manipulation of the dead
-School of Light: Manipulation of light from all sources
-School of Shadows: Manipulation of shadows from all sources
-School of Mind: Telekinesis, and telepathy
-School of Illusions: Creation of illusions
-School of Summoning: Summoning and dispelling minor demons and holy beings
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cast
@ChelonianCommander: Literally everyone else also GM

Arriving Students
@Oscar: Jagton Morves, Griffin Civilian/School of Beasts
@_BB_: Rahvi Fenrin, Hammer Folk/School of Minds
@☆Luna☆: Mikida, Wastelander/School of Illusions
@Gattletowne: Ella Beaumont, Borderman/School of Metal
@61 Argent Feathers Seals Evil: Steven Larson, Borderman/School of Minds

Last edited:
Stahlhiem College of Magic Character Forms
(Bordermen, Britainnian, Hammer Folk Only)
Name:
Age (15-20):
School of Magic:
Race:
Background:

(Griffin Civilian Only)
Name:
Age (15-20):
School of Magic:
Race:
Griffon Name:
Background:

(Verdantkin Only)
Name:
Age (15-20):
School of Magic:
Race:
Type: (Day or Night)
Background:

(Wastelander Only)
Name:
Age (15-20):
School of Magic:
Race:
Mutations: (Common mutations are extra limbs, eyes or animal features such as claws or feet.)
Background:

Last edited:
Name: Jagton Morves
School of Magic: School of Beasts
Race: Griffin Civilian
Appearance:
portrait_of_a_young_wizard_by_kotofeika.jpg

Griff-Beast: Juvenile Griffin
Background: When he was born his mother died leaving him and his dad alone. His father watched over Griffin nests with a bunch of friends. When he turned 4 Jagton's father asked him if he wanted to help watch the Griffin nests. When Jagton was asked the only thing he said for the next minute was yes. A year later when he turned five a Griffin egg got separated from its nest. Since they couldn't know which nest it was from Jagton and his father took care of the egg. A month later a baby Griffin came out of the egg, but they couldn't leave her out in the wild so they took care of the baby Griffin. Now she is 10 years old and her name is Karma. The reason why Jagton wanted to go to the school of beasts is because 1. He wanted to be able to understand Karma when she spoke. 2. So he could help out animals that are hurt or endagered. 3. Because he thinks he will have a good time. Just to make it clear though he is a bit fearful of life. He also has mood swings after things that cause him extreme stress. One second he may be cheerful and the next you think he has lost his sanity.

Last edited:
Griffin Civilian
Name: Jagton Morves
School of Magic: School of Beasts
Race: Human
Appearance:
portrait_of_a_young_wizard_by_kotofeika.jpg

Griff-Beast: Juvenile Griffin
Background: When he was born his mother died leaving him and his dad alone. His father watched over Griffin nests with a bunch of friends. When he turned 4 Jagton's father asked him if he wanted to help watch the Griffin nests. When Jagton was asked the only thing he said for the next minute was yes. A year later when he turned five a Griffin egg got separated from its nest. Since they couldn't know which nest it was from Jagton and his father took care of the egg. A month later a baby Griffin came out of the egg, but they couldn't leave her out in the wild so they took care of the baby Griffin. Now she is 10 years old and her name is Karma. The reason why Jagton wanted to go to the school of beasts is because 1. He wanted to be able to understand Karma when she spoke. 2. So he could help out animals that are hurt or endagered. 3. Because he thinks he will have a good time.

Alright that's good, but there's the matter of your race. For Race you put in Borderman, Britainnian, in your case Griffin Civilian, Verdantkin, Wastelander, or Hammerfolk. Borderman, Britiannian and Griffin Civilians are all humans, it's just a specific demographic of human.

Alright that's good, but there's the matter of your race. For Race you put in Borderman, Britainnian, in your case Griffin Civilian, Verdantkin, Wastelander, or Hammerfolk. Borderman, Britiannian and Griffin Civilians are all humans, it's just a specific demographic of human.
Ok I'll fix it.

I'll join if you'll have me! I have to say I am very torn between a Borderlander illusionist whose magic isn't going to be the most useful in her technologically advanced society, and a thieving Hammer Folk with telekinesis. But right now I want to be a bit mischievous so I'll go for the latter.

Name: Rahvi Fenrin
Age (15-20): 16
School of Magic: Mind
Race: Hammer Folk
Appearance: Short and lead even for her race and age, with calloused hands and muscles from climbing and swinging her way around her environment, Rahvi has black hair cut short enough that it barely reaches past her ears, and grey eyes that look silver in the right light. Fair skinned, she has light freckles over her nose and arms and permanently wears a red, blue, and yellow scarf (with an optional hood) that her big sister made for her.

Background: Rahvi is the middle daughter of a family with two older sisters, two younger brothers, and two hard working parents. Her parents design and build toys, a business that booms, as her father went to Stahlhiem and studied the School of Metal. Rahvi grew up in a chaotic household, in the way that every household with five children had to be. Though there is the occasional spat, as a general rule, Rahvi and her siblings get along well, as they had to learn to cooperate early to get meals onto tables and everyone to school and work on time, as well as maintaining a fierce sense of individual identity and self-sufficiency. As a precocious, and wildly stubborn individual, Rahvi never found that bit particularly hard. This sense of family instilled in Rahvi a need for community wherever she went, and she found that community with her classmates, her neighbours, anyone who would spend some time with her. She never fully allowed herself to realise that sometimes she heard people say things to her that she wasn't entirely sure she'd seen their lips say. As a restless soul with a crowded house, Rahvi quickly became skilled at snatching the bit of leftover food she wanted from the table before her siblings could, and getting to the best toys first, a skill that rapidly evolved with her energetic acrobatic pursuits into pickpocketing, an act that she has a concerning knack for. It became clear that she had some magical ability when she sent one of her father's toy birds flying around the room to entertain one of her younger brothers, so Rahvi set off for college to develop this ability with telekinesis and, if she can, maybe to find some answers about hearing those voices.

I'd also like to participate. I'd like to be a boarderman in the school of metal, if that's acceptable. I'll have a character up as I have time.

Name: Rahvi Fenrin
Age (15-20): 16
School of Magic: Mind
Race: Hammer Folk
Appearance: Short and lead even for her race and age, with calloused hands and muscles from climbing and swinging her way around her environment, Rahvi has black hair cut short enough that it barely reaches past her ears, and grey eyes that look silver in the right light. Fair skinned, she has light freckles over her nose and arms and permanently wears a red, blue, and yellow scarf (with an optional hood) that her big sister made for her.

Background: Rahvi is the middle daughter of a family with two older sisters, two younger brothers, and two hard working parents. Her parents design and build toys, a business that booms, as her father went to Stahlhiem and studied the School of Metal. Rahvi grew up in a chaotic household, in the way that every household with five children had to be. Though there is the occasional spat, as a general rule, Rahvi and her siblings get along well, as they had to learn to cooperate early to get meals onto tables and everyone to school and work on time, as well as maintaining a fierce sense of individual identity and self-sufficiency. As a precocious, and wildly stubborn individual, Rahvi never found that bit particularly hard. This sense of family instilled in Rahvi a need for community wherever she went, and she found that community with her classmates, her neighbours, anyone who would spend some time with her. She never fully allowed herself to realise that sometimes she heard people say things to her that she wasn't entirely sure she'd seen their lips say. As a restless soul with a crowded house, Rahvi quickly became skilled at snatching the bit of leftover food she wanted from the table before her siblings could, and getting to the best toys first, a skill that rapidly evolved with her energetic acrobatic pursuits into pickpocketing, an act that she has a concerning knack for. It became clear that she had some magical ability when she sent one of her father's toy birds flying around the room to entertain one of her younger brothers, so Rahvi set off for college to develop this ability with telekinesis and, if she can, maybe to find some answers about hearing those voices.

Sounds great, welcome to the College of Stahlhiem my friend.

I'm always down for magic academy stories, but I'm curious what sort of things to expect from the plot. What is going to keep our characters together? Is this more slice of life or action oriented? How much should our characters conform to the descriptions you've given? What sort of world is this like? Are resources plentiful or scarce? What sorts of value systems are in place, especially at the academy? As you can see, I have a good number of questions.

As for plot I was tinkering with a harry potter style plot, just with no chosen one. The wizards into separated into years for the first 10 years before being assigned a master to study under, so all first years are kinda forced to live and work together, second years are kinda forced to live and work together etc. If we're going to do a harry potter style plot then a bit of both actually, with slice of life in the beginning and slowly descending into an action orientated RP later.

For characters it is somewhat flexible. For appearance it is rather set in stone. You can't have a Hammer Folk that's higher then 4ft, you can't have a Day Verdantkin with a tan, you can't have a Griffin Civilian without a Gryph Beasts, and you can't have a mutation-less Wastelander that looks like a normal person. Personallity wise it's a bit more flexible. Verdantkin tend to hate Wastelanders due to the war that decimated their population, Britainnians hate all non humans, Hammer Folk, Griffin Civilians and Bordermen sees the Britinnnians as a bunch of racists bungholes, and the Bordermen and Griffin Civilians look up to each other with reverence. That is to say you can have a Verdantkin who doesn't hate Wastelanders or a Bordermen who distrusts Griffin Civilians cause a their parents were murder by a bunch of Griffins. So for personailty and backgrounds its more flexible.

The World is going to be a mixture of high fantasy/Renaissance/Steampunk and Arthurian fantasy due to the mixture of cultures in the world. However the setting is going to be quite Renaissance/Steampunk as it does take place in the Border Empire.

Resources are quite plentiful. This isn't a post apocalyptic world where everything is destroyed. The Border Empire is large, plenty and well protected on all fronts so things like luxury items, while expensive, are rather available. Still fantasy universe, so don't expect things like Cells or Cars.

Value Systems...I think you're going to be a bit more specific. If you're talking about money, the students are simply given an allowance of around 100 Crowns, Crowns being the Border Empire's primarily currency, every week to pay for things like food and school supplies, as students are taught to be independent from an early age.

And don't worry. For every question, I'll answer as best I can. I think of my worlds rather thoroughly before starting and RP.

By value systems, I mean something akin to morals, but with a nuance of expressing societal expectations. What sorts of qualities are seen as leading to success that vary from our own? Is this place egalitarian with regards to achievement, or do some races hold an unearned advantage? What makes someone popular? These sorts of characteristics are what I'm talking about when I say value systems. More bluntly it could be asked, "What do people think is of worth with regards to individuals?"

By value systems, I mean something akin to morals, but with a nuance of expressing societal expectations. What sorts of qualities are seen as leading to success that vary from our own? Is this place egalitarian with regards to achievement, or do some races hold an unearned advantage? What makes someone popular? These sorts of characteristics are what I'm talking about when I say value systems. More bluntly it could be asked, "What do people think is of worth with regards to individuals?"

Ah right-o then.

Different factions have different moral systems, but for the school, students who listen to their teachers are seen as most likely to succeed while the more rebellious or troublesome students are watched very carefully as they might cause sever damage to the school or city. At the same time students who are 100% obedient to their students are considered rather pitiful as they'll never be able to achieve anything on their own. That system is there to keep students on their toes and is thought to produce better mages.

For achievements, the students who do better or is improving faster then the others will get more praise. Its to encourage competition within the students as competition produces stronger mages. Racsism plays no part in the school, at least in the staff. Any hint of racism however tend to be ignored by the more strict teachers as rasicm might drive students to greater heights.

What would make someone popular is...difficult to answer as each faction has their own definitions of popular. For Bordermen its whoever is the most talented or wealthy, for Britainnians its whoever's the most noble or holy, for Griffin Civilians its whoever's got the strongest or more beautiful beast, for Verdantkin its whoever's the most the most powerful, to Hammer Folk its whoever's the best at their certain profession, and for Wastelander its whoever's got the coolest or most beneficial mutations.

Hopefully this has answered your questions.

It all helped bunches. I'll be really busy with finals these next two weeks, but I've got my eyes on this.

Back