(Fantasy/Magic/Academy) Stahlhiem College of Magic

If you're interested in joining which race would you be?

• Borderman

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Britainnian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Griffin Civilian

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Verdiantkin

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Hammer Folk

• Wastelander

• Total voters
Really hope this is before 11 in your timezone. Sorry for giving you so much work at the last minuite.

Also, I'd like to kow a bit about mind magic in this setting, if you wouldn't mind explaining the details right now. Unless that's something that we learn in-game, of course.

(Bordermen, Britainnian, Hammer Folk Only)
Name: Steven Larson
Age (15-20): 17
School of Magic: Mind
Race: Borderman
Appearance: A skinny adolescent with black hair and grey eyes. Typically wears a grey monastic habit or slightly formal clothes.
Beliefs:
+Almost all problems are caused by miscommunication or bad luck.
+Mind reading is only bad if misused.
+Human actions always have a reason, if not alway a good one.
+Several things about the human mind. Mostly on how minds work and such. ...I should probably list them, or at least some of them. Some of this probably contradicts your worldbuilding; I'd like to know more about mind magic and change this to fit.
+Memory is like notes written in sand blown around by the wind. Whenever we remember something, we fill in the places where the message is distorted or gone with what we think would fit, along with making the existing writing "deeper." With time, memories are distorted and erased.
+The human body's brain is a sort of "house" for the soul, allowing it to effectively interact with the material world.
+Everyone's mind is different; no two people think , percieve, or react in exactly the same way. These differences make accurate and quick mind reading extremely difficult; the mind reader must adapt to each individual mind, or recieve incorrect or no information. Similarly, this makes thought transfer incredibly difficult to so quickly and accurately. Skill must be built through years of practice.
+Direct transfer of thought is a superior form of communication.
Goals:
+Learn how to read minds and transfer thoughts quickly and well enough to do it instead of speaking.
+Learn how others think.
+Learn everything by reading people's minds
+Make friends/allies. Preferably ones who don't mind their minds being read from time to time.
+Use mind reading to spread mutual understanding and make the world a better place.
Background:
Steven was raised in a sort of monastery-academy, where people spent their lives mastering the mind reading and thought transfer aspects of mind magic, along with researching minds. The monastery survived by providing services no one else could: mind-reading criminals for the law, memory recovery, etc. Steven was trained by this monastery since he was a young child, and as such is able to read present conscious thoughts with a significant amount of focus, able to read some more vivid memories with much time and effort, and able to transfer simpler thoughts with much time and effort. Steven went to the College to learn more about other people and different types of magic, along with honing his skills with the many different minds there. Since the College attracts different people from different places and cultures from all over the known world, it is an ideal place to learn.

Really hope this is before 11 in your timezone. Sorry for giving you so much work at the last minuite.

Also, I'd like to kow a bit about mind magic in this setting, if you wouldn't mind explaining the details right now. Unless that's something that we learn in-game, of course.

(Bordermen, Britainnian, Hammer Folk Only)
Name: Steven Larson
Age (15-20): 17
School of Magic: Mind
Race: Borderman
Appearance: A skinny adolescent with black hair and grey eyes. Typically wears a grey monastic habit or slightly formal clothes.
Beliefs:
+Almost all problems are caused by miscommunication or bad luck.
+Mind reading is only bad if misused.
+Human actions always have a reason, if not alway a good one.
+Several things about the human mind. Mostly on how minds work and such. ...I should probably list them, or at least some of them. Some of this probably contradicts your worldbuilding; I'd like to know more about mind magic and change this to fit.
+Memory is like notes written in sand blown around by the wind. Whenever we remember something, we fill in the places where the message is distorted or gone with what we think would fit, along with making the existing writing "deeper." With time, memories are distorted and erased.
+The human body's brain is a sort of "house" for the soul, allowing it to effectively interact with the material world.
+Everyone's mind is different; no two people think , percieve, or react in exactly the same way. These differences make accurate and quick mind reading extremely difficult; the mind reader must adapt to each individual mind, or recieve incorrect or no information. Similarly, this makes thought transfer incredibly difficult to so quickly and accurately. Skill must be built through years of practice.
+Direct transfer of thought is a superior form of communication.
Goals:
+Learn how to read minds and transfer thoughts quickly and well enough to do it instead of speaking.
+Learn how others think.
+Learn everything by reading people's minds
+Make friends/allies. Preferably ones who don't mind their minds being read from time to time.
+Use mind reading to spread mutual understanding and make the world a better place.
Background:
Steven was raised in a sort of monastery-academy, where people spent their lives mastering the mind reading and thought transfer aspects of mind magic, along with researching minds. The monastery survived by providing services no one else could: mind-reading criminals for the law, memory recovery, etc. Steven was trained by this monastery since he was a young child, and as such is able to read present conscious thoughts with a significant amount of focus, able to read some more vivid memories with much time and effort, and able to transfer simpler thoughts with much time and effort. Steven went to the College to learn more about other people and different types of magic, along with honing his skills with the many different minds there. Since the College attracts different people from different places and cultures from all over the known world, it is an ideal place to learn.

Alright-o. So the backstory is seems rather solid. Beliefs are 100% fine. The Border Empire really doesn't care what the people believe as long as you aren't like...I don't know sacrificing kittens or something, Goals are fine, however the ability to read memories vividly is more advanced magic that he wouldn't be able to use for another couple years, and would take a veteran mage a lot of time and effort to do so. For your character it would be more like using the same amount of effort just to see maybe 3-4 blurry images and only 2 of those are the images he's looking for. The reading conscious thoughts ability is fine, but know that other more experienced mages, especially those of the same school will be able to know when you're reading their minds. The transferring thoughts ability is fine as long as you're sending like 3-4 words at a time, and takes more and more effort to send repeated messages.

In any case, welcome to the College Student!

Alright-o. So the backstory is seems rather solid. Beliefs are 100% fine. The Border Empire really doesn't care what the people believe as long as you aren't like...I don't know sacrificing kittens or something, Goals are fine, however the ability to read memories vividly is more advanced magic that he wouldn't be able to use for another couple years, and would take a veteran mage a lot of time and effort to do so. For your character it would be more like using the same amount of effort just to see maybe 3-4 blurry images and only 2 of those are the images he's looking for. The reading conscious thoughts ability is fine, but know that other more experienced mages, especially those of the same school will be able to know when you're reading their minds. The transferring thoughts ability is fine as long as you're sending like 3-4 words at a time, and takes more and more effort to send repeated messages.

Thanks. I feel I should clarify something, though: by reading vivid memories, I meant reading memories that people remember strongly (vividly) if a lot of time and focus is used. Sorry if I was unclear.

Alright-o. So the backstory is seems rather solid. Beliefs are 100% fine. The Border Empire really doesn't care what the people believe as long as you aren't like...I don't know sacrificing kittens or something,

Ok what? Sacrificing kittens?

Ok what? Sacrificing kittens?

There are rather dark cults and such that requires blood sacrifice to their dark gods. Because of this, such religions and beliefs are outlawed and can be punished by holy torture or even execution.

Thanks. I feel I should clarify something, though: by reading vivid memories, I meant reading memories that people remember strongly (vividly) if a lot of time and focus is used. Sorry if I was unclear.

Oh ok then that's fine then.

Back