How Green Becomes Wood

"Damn, dude," Sloan said, taking Xander's hint and not asking any follow up questions. Well, only asking one follow-up question, "Is he okay? I'm not asking, like... for a diagram of where he was hit, but... You know. Is he okay?" Well, only asking two follow up questions, "Are you both okay?"

"He'll be alright, just bruised," Xander told her. "Bad bruises, but bruises. He should be back to work soon."

"Xander has a concussion and can't do Judo for at least a month," Alec informed her. "I got out fine. Just a couple of little bruises."

"Well... I guess it could've been worse, then." Sloan said eventually. "I'm sorry about the concussion, though. I know how bad they suck. I'm sure you'll fuss at me for saying this, but when you're allowed to do it again, you've gotta remember to slowly ease back into it, you know? And if I could give another piece of unsolicited advice--this is my last one, I promise--do some simple yoga routines to keep active. My doctor recommended it the last time I had a concussion, because I was stressed to death about losing flexibility. It's better than nothing, and probably worth asking your doctor about."

"Yeah, alright," Xander agreed. "Sounds good. I'm supposed to do basically nothing for the next couple of days. Which is really lame." He didn't mention that at least for now, he didn't actually want to do anything. Lounging on the floor with Enkidu was about as exciting as he wanted his life to be.

"Nobody really talks about how dangerous gymnastics is," Alec mused.

"I did a lot of colouring, a lot of puzzles, and went on a lot of walks," Sloan told him, trying to be at least a little positive. To Alec, she said, "I've broken a lot of toes. And my tailbone, once, which sucked. But, anyway, I should probably go home, I guess. I just wanted to drop off your bags and check in on you. I'll be around if you need anything else, okay? And let me know if you want to hear about any more of the rumors circulating."

"They are fascinating. I wonder what Becky thinks. I actually haven't heard from her yet, or Tom, but Tom almost never texts. He hates texting with as much passion as some people hate calling," Alec told her. "Thank you again for stopping by, and for the brownies and for our bags."

Xander held up the pringles. "Thanks," he said, and he meant it. "Maybe I'll take up colouring or something. Design some new stuff for my shop. See you around. Eventually."

"Anytime. See you," Sloan replied lightly, and then went home. Not long after, Dark came back downstairs, somewhat more rested and his head slightly more clear. His hair, which normally was pushed back, flopped down into his face.

"Oh," he said, definitely still a bit groggy and disoriented from a mid-day nap, "You have your bags."

Alec stood staring at Dark's hair for longer than usual, a strange expression on his face. It wasn't clear what he was thinking. Xander was sitting eating his pringles slowly but steadily, clearly relishing them and not paying much attention to anything else. Alec shook himself and smiled at Dark. He raised a brownie to show him.

"Sloan dropped off brownies and bags," he told his father. "She was concerned and hopes you weren't hurt too badly."

"Oh, that is nice," Dark said, rubbing his eye with the heel of his hand. He watched the way Alec stared at him but had absolutely no idea why, so he stared back for a few moments and shuffled into the kitchen, "I am fine, but it is kind of her to worry. ...I am going to make coffee."

"Looks like you need it," Xander mumbled through chips.

Alec raised his hand. "Am I the only one questioning if we should be spoiling our dinners?"

"You're eating a brownie," Xander pointed out.

"Only one, and I could easily eat dinner. You're eating an entire thing of pringles in one sitting."

"So?"

"Nevermind. I forgot who I was talking to."

"I need to teach you two how to make it," He murmured, taking out his dallah and all the other necessary accoutrements, "Drip coffee is horrendous and when I am old and feeble and my hands are gnarled and arthritic, it will ruin my final years if I beg you to bring me coffee and you bring me drip coffee."

Dark squinted at them as they discussed spoiling their dinner, "You are going nowhere tomorrow so it is no harm if we eat dinner late."

Alec heaved a sigh. "Alright. I'll ask my therapist if maybe she can squeeze me in for a Zoom meeting. I promised Daizi I'd talk to her."

Xander glanced back at him as he approached Dark, still brushing crumbs off his hands. "You'd think you wanted to go to school. Like you liked it."

"No, I'm fine not going. I was just preparing myself for going," Alec said hastily. "I like skipping school." It was just... being home allowed more quiet. More quiet allowed for more thinking. He really didn't want to think.

"If you want to go to school I will not prevent you," Dark replied, grinding cardamom, "I had just thought it would be stressful for you being in school when Xander is at home. I have not called you out, yet, so it is whatever you prefer."

Alec fell quiet. He actually wasn't sure which was worse. He'd been focused on not thinking, but Dark reminded him he'd be at school listening to the rumors without Xander to fall back on. That sounded like a different kind of hell. "I'll stay home."

Xander watched Dark closely, making mental notes. Or trying to. His brain didn't want to focus on notes.

"Whatever you prefer," Dark replied calmly, filling the pot with water and setting it on the stove. When it was time, he added the coffee grounds and a bit of sugar and kept it on the stove until it began to foam, then he lifted it off the heat until the bubbles died down, and repeated this process two more times. Once it was off the heat, he dashed a bit of cold water into it with his fingers and let it sit for a small time. Then, he added the cardamom and poured two cups of it, "Alec, would you like some?"

Alec nodded. "Yes, please! Thank you! Xander, remember you can't drink too much."

"I remember," Xander said, rolling his eyes. "I'll do my best to not explode my head with caffeine."

Dark poured out the three cups and put them on the tray, which he brought to the island counter and set down before taking a seat, "I do not know if you have had coffee before, but this is better than what you have had, if you have tried it before. But it is sad for Daizi, because since she is blind she cannot read the coffee grounds. I know she would like to."

"We've had it and we hated it," Xander admitted openly. "But this stuff smells good."

"It smells better than any coffee I've ever smelled," Alec agreed.

Xander frowned at his cup. "Can't she, like, feel the style of coffee back?" he asked, misunderstanding what Dark meant by "reading the grounds."

Back