How Green Becomes Wood

Dark heard some movement from the twin's room, but with their walls and heavy doors, he couldn't hear much. If he thought about it at all, he assumed one of them was up like he was and that was the extent of it. Even if he had heard enough to be more concerned, he was stuck in his bed, paralyzed by every thought crashing over him, so all he could do was breathe enough to wince and repeat the action until he was either calm enough to go back to sleep or Ivy woke up. It was hard, knowing Daizi was just a little bit to his side, that she was right there, and if he woke her, she would embrace him and talk him down, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. She looked so peaceful, he couldn't disturb her.

Come morning, when Daizi was downstairs making breakfast, he stayed up for a little while with Ivy, who had already been fed her breakfast. He just wasn't ready to get out of bed, but he didn't want to feel useless, so he had Ivy on the bed, and he was rolled onto his right side, talking to her and tickling her with one hand. He would go down eventually, when he felt more settled.

Downstairs, Daizi knew she would get him when breakfast was ready, and she put on some soft music to make their home feel lighter.

Xander worked with Alec to make his hair as presentable as possible, but it was still a shaggy mess that was attempting and failing to curl slightly, creating awkward waves in random directions. It wasn't a good look. Still, it was better than half short, half long. Alec thanked him for his efforts, and now that he'd calmed down a little, he still hated what he'd done and how he looked, but he could also see a sliver of humor in it. It was just hair. It would grow back. Until it did, he could enjoy taking far less time to brush! It was... somewhat of a win. At least he had a therapy session scheduled for later that day. He did feel a little better, but he was not looking forward to Dark or Daizi's reactions.

Xander went down first, following the sound of music and the smell of food. "Morning, Mama," he greeted.

Alec followed behind, relieved for once not to see Dark.

"Good morning," Daizi said softly, not turning around because she was in the process of cutting up fruit, "Did you sleep well? Breakfast should be ready soon. Dark is with Ivy in our room."

"I slept good," Xander said. "Need any help?"

"I slept... reasonably well," Alec admitted. "Do you need a plate for the fruit?"

"Good. You sound a bit better this morning. And I'm alright, don't worry. You two can just take a seat, don't stress yourselves." She told them, waving them off with one hand, "Don't bother stressing yourselves for me."

"Alright, but we're here if you need an extra hand," Alec said, moving to take a seat.

Xander wandered over to look out the window at the backyard. He winced at the bright light and retreated to his chair. There. He'd at least seen outside. That was enough outdoors for one day.

"I know," She replied as she pushed the fruit into a bowl before rinsing the chopping board and the knife and setting them in the sink, "but sometimes it's okay to let yourself be taken care of. How many times did you tell me that?"

Then she came to the table, set out the fruit, aish baladi, and taameya. It was a pretty light breakfast, but it would be filling. After setting it down, she ran her hand down the back of Alec's head but quickly drew it back in surprise, "You cut your hair!"

"Loads of times," Xander agreed, slumping down a little and relaxing. "Breakfast looks good." He glanced at Alec when Daizi discovered the only semi-butchered haircut.

Alec winced. He hadn't expected to have to deal with this so soon, but he should have. Brushing the back of his head was one of Daizi's favorite ways to greet him. "Um, well, it was sort of... an impulsive decision," he admitted. Strangely and illogically, he expected to get into trouble for his choice. He tensed, waiting for Daizi to scold him even while part of him was exasperated and confused by his reaction. Some things died harder than others.

"Well, I've been there," Daizi said with a little laugh, "Do you like it, or do you want to schedule an appointment to try to have a professional make it into something you like better? You can imagine what my hair looked like the few times I was upset and got ahold of scissors, imagine giving yourself bangs when you can't even see. Thank god I'm alt."

Alec instantly relaxed, allowing himself only a light internal scolding for his initial reaction. Of course she was fine with it! "Um, I don't really know if I like it or not. I'm leaning on the 'not' side, but I think I need to let my scalp heal a little more before I go to a professional. It still stings a little. Xander did help me even it out a little, but I do have bangs! Half bangs. One side is laying down, but the other side sticks up like a cartoon character. Or maybe an anime." He guided her hand to feel the odd patch of hair on his forehead. On one side, it laid down in a decent resemblance of bangs. On the other side, it stuck up like it was auditioning for the part of Tintin's hairdo. "I don't think my hair liked what I did to it and is punishing me by not laying flat."

She chuckled softly, "Well, at least it grows back. If you decide you want it cut properly, and your scalp can take it, just let me know, okay?" Following his lead and using a light touch, she felt the general shape of what Alec's hair was doing, "I don't think it's so bad. It's sort of avant garde. But that could just be my alt brain. Have you seen when Dark used to straighten his hair? He had these bangs that would basically completely cover his eye, and I'd sneak into his dorm and if he was getting ready, the whole thing would smell like fried hair. It'll be better when it settles."

"He straightened his hair?" Alec asked in surprise and followed it up with, "Are hair straighteners supposed to smell like fried hair?"

Xander just snickered as he imagined it all. "Hey, what time is it?"

"It was the 2000s and he was emo, of course he did," Daizi chuckled, but there was so much nostalgic love in her face, "And straighteners fry your hair if you're not careful with them, and he wasn't. I think he also fried streaks of his hair trying to get it light enough to dye. And I think it's about 9:40? Why?"

She shrugged, "You've seen him, his hair survived. He's got incredible hair..." She hummed, adoring that man with her full heart, "I promised to get him when breakfast was ready, I should go fulfill that promise.'

"Do you want me to do it?" Alec offered, standing. "I don't mind, and maybe I'll get the chance to play with Ivy some. He's not likely to let her go much while he's home, not that I blame him."

"If you'd like to," Daizi said, not going to tell him no. "Just be gentle when you knock on our door, okay?" She stroked the back of his head one last time and then sat down and asked Xander how he was feeling that day while Alec went to get her husband.

Alec headed up the stairs and tapped very lightly on the bedroom door. "Baba?" he called as softly as he could while still projecting sound. "Breakfast is ready, and I'm here to carry Ivy."

Xander told Daizi how he was feeling, mostly lamenting on how it was still hard to think in a straight line for more than a few seconds. In fact, by the time he finished telling Daizi about the nagging ringing in his ear, his mind had shifted and he shifted topics to singing bowls without realizing it.

Ivy's squeals of laughter were audible through the door when Alec approached it, but Dark was speaking too softly for the sound to reach him. After Alec knocked, though, Dark raised his voice to say, "You can come in, the door is unlocked."

If it was time to go down to breakfast, he probably needed to put on a shirt, but now that Ivy was able to roll both ways, and he felt less secure. When she had the skill for more than a day, he'd be more comfortable with it, but he wasn't there yet.

Downstairs, Daizi nodded along with Xander, resisting every urge to squeeze his shoulder, "It'll get a little better every day.'

Alec walked in, trying to be as respectful of Dark and Daizi's personal space as possible. "Do you want me to take Ivy down first? Or do you need help with a shirt?" he asked.

"Thanks. Now I guess i get to see what you and the Mini get up to every day," Xander remarked.

Back