[IC] Nomadium - The Nomad's Respite

Tyvin took the now empty bowl in her hand and gathered it with Elin's (After he practically poured it on his own head) with a roll of her eyes at Cato's display, and the reactions he was getting. On her way past, showing no concern for the daggers flying around her, she joking told Cato to ''Reap the benefits, because as soon as they see some real magic the entertainment value will plummet"

After that she made her way over to the bar besides the two recent occupants, one smelled of sweat and plant life (Which with what Tyvin was used to, wasn't exactly annoying) and the other seemed to be adorned with a rather large looking robe. "I wouldn't trust the coffee, Bartender here has a habit of spitting" She was greeted with a quick glare from the bartender in question, who would grumble to remind her that he can easily poison her next drink.

Alethea heard a voice beside her, and craned her neck upwards to look at its owner. The young woman stood at a formidable height, and seemed to have crystal crawling up her chin. She blinked curiously at the figure for a moment, intrigued. Mages sure were an interesting bunch. Processing what she had said, however, she looked down at the coffee and pushed it gently away from her. "That's disgusting," she said, sticking her tongue out at the thought. Looking back to the young woman, she nodded. "Thank you." After a moment's pause, she raised a sleeve-covered hand. "I'm Alethea, by the way."

Tyvin raised a brow at the woman's reaction, though simply reasoned that she was joking as well. As the woman pulled back on her sleeve, Tyvin raised a glove hand to what she assumed was a hand shake, giving the new face a 'welcoming' smile (It was better than her usual morning frown from tiredness). "Tyvin. I'm human, but as you can probably see, I'm also a crystal. Nice to meet ya"

Elnius had eventually made the entire walk from table to table, managing to sell about half of what he had. He took the plants he had left and took them to the bar counter. Before he could set his box on the counter though the barman shot him a glance, sending the message that he didn't want them on the counter. Elnius simple smiled and set them on the barstool next to him.

"Could I have a glass of water please?"

The barman rolled his eyes a bit and gave Elnius a glass of water. Instead of drinking it Elnius turned to his plants and started watering them.

Alethea noticed with displeasure that, as usual, her petite hand was considerably dwarfed by the stranger's. Shaking her hand with a serious expression, she noticed the other woman smile, and gave a small version of such an expression. "Nice to meet you, too. So crystal, eh? Does it feel weird?" As usual, her genuine curiosity won over all other conversation topics, and she dropped her hand from the shake into her lap once more. Swinging her feet lazily as they hung over the side of the stool, yet still significantly off the floor, she watched Tyvin for her reaction. Just beyond the woman, she saw a boy talking to the bartender, but her gaze flickered to him for only a moment, as she was very intent on hearing about the fascinating crystal.

At the question Tyvin ran her fingers along the crystal part of her chin in thought, her finger pressing against both a cool hard surface and warm soft flesh, it was quite weird. "Well, at first it was painful. The crystal didn't just appear, it stabbed into my hand, and then grew on the inside, which fucked up my skin royally" She took one of her gloves and slid it off, showing off her hand, twisted in little flesh and plenty of crystal. "I imagine it's like if someone swallowed fire" She motioned to the bartender for a drink, but he was still rather sore that she made someone waste his perfectly good coffee.

Cato didn't react much on Tyvin's response. He didn't quite understand what she had said, so he simply smiled and shrugged. His eyes drifted past her and to the two newcomers that has just entered the tavern, his green eyes taking them in and wondering what kind of abilities they have, and what kind of people they are. They walked through the place with a certain guard and wariness, maybe a little unfamiliarity. They must be quite new here. he thought. Not bothering to talk to them for the moment, he sat on the spot Tyvin has been on, and addressed the little shrimps, especially the younger girl who, for some strange reason, now have an entirely different set of clothes on her. He raised an eyebrow, looking quite impressed.

"Of course I would love to know your abilities. But... I still don't know your names yet." he chuckled a little, scratching his nape. He leaned towards them with genuine interest. "You never really know what will be useful in battle, so don't put yourselves down. We mages can hardly choose what kind of abilities we end up with, but we can choose how we want to use them. And..." he turned to the girl with a smile. "You seem to be a very intelligent young lady, so you should build up your confidence in yourself."

"So!" he cracked his knuckles, looking almost as enthusiastic and childlike as the kids were when Tyvin was making her exaggerated adventure story. "Tell me about yourselves. I'll... listen." he stifled a smile, enjoying his private joke.

Last edited:
After watering his flowers Elnius took a quick look across the room to see if there were any new arrivals aside from the two people talking next to him. He saw Cato with the kids and realized he had missed them. He smiled and looked down at his flower pots.

"Well I have some normal flowers they might like."

Elnius put the empty glass back on the counter and hopped down from the bar stool. He grabbed up his box and walked towards Cato seeing him doing tricks for the kids and talking to them. He smiled a bit at his genial behavior around them.

Elin grinned at the change of Shiori's dress. He loved the physical manifestations of powers. His were invisible, and had no physical effects to show off with. People like Tyvin and Amorra were cool enough to pull off their dramatic bodily changes, as were all of the mages Elin had seen. Not all of them had obvious marks of magic upon them but those who did were quite dramatic and had lived with it for half of their shortened lives. They were battle scars earned simply from living. Elin himself didn't have any. There was no way to know that he was a mage, not even when he used his magic. He was painfully normal among all these shining, colourful characters.

Elin vaguely noticed the new entries to the Respite, but his attention was completely enraptured by Cato. Conjuring a dagger from thin air, he placed it on a table, throwing another around his knuckles as though he'd used it 1 000 times, which Elin realised he probably had. Cato was dangerous, and he was charming, and he was speaking to them. Elin reached over to the dagger he'd left on the table. Of course he wanted to touch it. He picked it up, feeling the weightless compression of air struggling against his hand. The grip felt wrong to him, cold and unnatural, but he loved the feeling of having a weapon, of holding Cato's weapon. If he had one of these, he might be on his way to rescuing some damsels. He was caught up in fantasies of training with Cato and Tyvin when the man threw one of his daggers at the bartender. Instantly dropping the one in his hand, he reached out a hand, to try and catch the dagger, or warn the bartender, he wasn't really sure. Speed flew from him into the bartender, but the knife dissipated just before hitting him, vanishing into a playful breeze that the bartender completely ignored, though he did stumble a step when the extra speed moved his feet faster than he was expecting. Elin took the boost away and turned wide eyes onto Cato.

He had missed Tyvin's exit in the drama, but she was talking to one of the new arrivals and they had the table to themselves. Cato, grinning broadly, seemed to take no heed of the bartender, or of Shiori's shyness, other than telling her she ought to feel more confident in herself, something that Elin agreed with whole-heartedly. He had only just met Shiori properly, but she was as close to his age as he was likely to get around here and he felt very protective of her. He wanted her to be her best. But then Cato started to take an interest in him. What world did he live in that that was a possibility? Elin took a deep breath in, and began to talk. He didn't know what Cato really wanted to know, but he just spoke, a grin at some private joke lingering on the man's face.

"I'm Elin Virier, I'm from a few cities over, but I only got here a couple of months ago. My folks didn't really want me in the hoes and I didn't want to cause any trouble so I thought it was probably best if I left once my magic came in. I love it here! There are so many amazing people and everyone has been really kind. I'm hoping I can start helping out more, but I've only taken a couple of jobs." His gushing stopped for a moment as he remembered his relative failure as a hero. He hadn't gotten very far with that yet. "I don't really know how to use any weapons, so I can't really take jobs that mean I have to fight, but I can help out other people! I can give people boosts, or take things away, and from me too. I can make you faster, or stronger, or I can confuse people or make them not able to see me very well. I don't really know how I do it yet, I just want something to happen and it usually works. Like, if I want you to be faster, I can just do this." He gave Cato speed, a bit rough in his delivery because of his excitement to show him he could be useful. "If you move around you'll feel it a bit more."

Encouraged by Cato's reaction to the extra speed, Elin turned his own strength up almost to the max and turned to Shiori. "Do you mind sitting on this table for a second?" He helped her up and picked up the entire heavy oak table they'd been sitting at, shooting her a big grin as he put it back down. He let his strength and Cato's speed fade, and felt his own speed come back as a reaction. Using quite that much magic at once meant his other skills reduced pretty drastically, but it didn't really matter how fast he was going if he wasn't really moving.

Slightly sheepish, he gave a shrug, finally noticing the other people in the bar who were looking at him, including one of the new arrivals who was walking towards them. "I'm trying to learn as much as I can so when I go on a mission I can come back more like you than just some kid like me, I guess."

Shiori was a bit hesitant on letting Elin pick her, and the table, up. He barely looked strong enough to pick her up of her feet a few inches. But when he did manage it, she was flabbergasted. His powers were amazingly effective.

"I, um, well I think I already said but I'm Shiori." Her face flushed "My, parents kicked me out when I was little. My dad was mad because my mom kept spending more than he could earn, and my mother was mad that he couldn't make enough. They fought so much they, forgot me." Shiori blinked to try to get rid of the tears. "My dad kicked me out, and I had no where to go. I ran into the desert, and was near death by starvation when I found a old broken down library. I went in and found my book. Funny thing is, it saved my life. Had I not found I would've died by lack of water or food." Shiori smiled sadly a bit. "As for my powers, I can cast spells from this book. There's all kinds. Some I can't cast yet, but I learn more everyday." She loosened her grip on her book. "I have a spell I've known for a while now, tgats really interesting. Do you... Wanna see?" She said a bit anxiously.

When Elin spoke, Cato stared at him and gave him his full attention. On his journeys people mostly felt a little unnerved by this sense of focus and straightforwardness coming off from him, but really, it was just a way to make sure he understood everything he was told. It was common courtesy.

When Elin gave him the boost of speed, at first he didn't feel it. But then he felt a feeling in his gut, something that tells him it'll be easier to move. As a mage with focus on wind magic, Cato was naturally fast and agile, as the wind supports him and does not give him resistance as he moves. But this... it felt like he could run even faster. He stood up and moved his feet for a bit, as if testing his balance, then grinned and darted off towards the bar and back again. His green eyes lit with delight, as if he's a child himself. "Amazing! So it's one of those abilities that can support other people, huh?"

If possible, his eyes even lit up more as he saw Elin, with his skinny arm and small stature, lift the heavy oak table with Shiori sitting on it. he placed his hands on his waist, grinning from ear to ear. "Whoa, Elin. That's... just impressive! Your abilities have a lot of possibilities and potential in it. No need to rush: you'll get there soon enough. Well, in fact, if you want to go on a mission with me, I'll be glad to accompany you! I'll be staying here for a year this time after all. Maybe two. Something that's a little more dangerous than your usual. What do you think? You too, Shiori." he gave them a smile that evidently said "please say yes". Then he focused on Shiori.

Ah... another sad story. He wasn't a stranger to these kinds of stories from their kind. His experiences can probably considered tragic and sad as well, but since he didn't remember much, it hardly ever matters. It sometimes bother him though, what kind of cult-crazy parents are insane enough to let their young son basically go through abhorrent torture? He was glad he couldn't remember their faces. "Those kinds of people... need not be remembered." he replied solemnly. When she offered to show them her talents, he smiled encouragingly. "I'd love to. I bet it's quite awesome as well."

Elnius stopped as he was making his way over to the table after seeing Elin lift it and Shiori above his head. Elnius was very weak physically and if he ever did end up in a scuffle he used his powers to get him out of it. Elnius was not a fighter and he knew it. He waited a moment more seeing as everyone had their attention on the spectacle that Elin was creating at the moment.

Alethea nodded slowly, processing the information. How strange, to be consumed by crystal... "As if someone swallowed fire, eh?" Turning sideways on her stool, she leaned in to examine Tyvin's ungloved hand. It was actually a terrifying thought to the young woman, to have your flesh ripped apart and replaced by a supernatural mineral. She found herself deeply respecting this young woman, who carried herself so confidently, despite such an awful occurrence. Gaze flickering up to the girl's eyes, she smiled. "You look really strong," she said, admiration apparent in her eyes.

"Sure, once one is posted." Shiori said blushing lightly, still put off from Elin's spectacle "And, uh, gimme a second.". She closed her eyes and laid her book open in her hands. The pages seemed to fly, and stopped on one with lists of several strange runes.
Shiori opened her eyes, and felt the familiar tingly sensation as the marks on her body started glowing slightly. She said something, in an unfamiliar tounge, and a swirling dark blue and pink portal appeared.
After a while, the pink gathered in the center as the blue formed a round outline. The pink faded, and you could now see what looked like an endless field of flowers.
Shiori bit her lip, and blushed fervently. "It's, uh, like a pocket dimension. A sort of infinite area that can be summoned on a finite surface. Not much use in battle... But, um, it's useful for storage and travel. You can travel nearly instantaneously if you know what you're doing." She tried to explain as she picked up the skirt of her dress and went into the portal. As she turned the corner, she completely disappeared from view, before poking her head out. "Are you guys coming or?" She said nervously. "I can't hold this forever."

Last edited:
Tyvin's head tilted and her mouth opened slightly in a small 'Huh?' at the sudden compliment. I do? I mean, of course I do, I'm me; ME AWESOME! Yeah! She reached around wit her gloved hand to cradle the back of her head as she chuckled. "Well, I grew up as a hunter, so I'd be surprised if I didn't. Can't catch a prey worth a damn with twig arms. My mother taught, well, before she left" With that Tyvin nodded her head in a 'Thanks for the compliment'.

Squirming around in an attempt to hide her own twig-like arms, Alethea nodded. "That's very true. People who aren't as physically capable must resort to, um, another line of work for survival." Throwing a glance at the bartender, the young woman leaned toward Tyvin, asking softly, "So how much does he spit, really?"

"My old man used to say 'If you cannot fight, you bake. If you cannot bake, you make sharp objects for the fighters to stab people with'. Odd man" She shrugged, reminding for a moment on the memory of her father, she wondered how the old man was doing after all these years? It was funny, time would probably take her before it took him. "Eh, only when he's feeling particularly spiteful. And for today, his glasses have been broken, mud dragged across his floor and... I think he's glaring at me" Tyvin leaned back over, whispering with a giggle.

Elnis slowly stepped forward to Cato and the kids, putting aside the fact the the table was currently in the air. I put on a smile and looked toward the group.

"Hello there."

Elin's insides screwed together at the thought of doing a mission with Cato. He had to go straight to Tyvin to get her to teach him how to be more use in a fight. Before he could say that though, one of the newcomers came over. Elin blushed a little at his display, but smiled at him. Hi recent success had made him confident enough to introduce himself. "Hi, I'm Elin. I don’t think we've met."

Shiori's action shattered the conversation though when she opened a portal into a beautiful meadow. Guessing that this was what she had wanted to show him, he stepped towards it, glancing at Cato to see if he was going to come through too. Elin really wanred to but if Cato thought it was dangerous he probably shouldn't.

What an odd thing to say, indeed. Alethea's eyes widened at Tyvin's response about the bartender. What a persnickety man! She smiled a little at the young woman's giggling, and looked up at the bartender very seriously. "Could I get a cup of coffee, but forgo the saliva?"

Back