After Janine asked Raban about his birthday, she watched as Raban formulated his answer. While she hoped it wasn’t the case, she expected for him to say ‘no’, with how strict he was raised by his mentor. With what he’s told her, Raban’s mentor was a man that had priorities revolving around knighthood, which sounded rather restricting and boring when she really thought about it. Again, she had her reasons as to why she became a Dragon Knight instead of a normal one, but the principles were still very much the same. When he finally spoke his answer, she felt the neutrality in her face fade into a bit of a frown.

“Ah. I figured so.” Janine said with a small sigh.

She knew it - expected it even. As much as she hated the fact that he didn’t celebrate his birthday, she understood why he didn’t. Yet at the same time, she felt a bit of anger prick at her. It wasn’t his fault that he was born on that day, of all the days of the year. Why couldn’t Cadfael let him celebrate it one time? If not in the traditional way, why not in a more inconspicuous way? Just to acknowledge it?

She looked down between Venus’ ears and huffed. “That isn’t fair. You can’t control when you’re born. You shouldn’t be punished for it,” Janine said with a scowl. She felt as if her anger could grow, and she did feel it growing; it would be easy to let it manifest, but she reminded herself of what day it was. She mustn’t let such emotions soil hers and Raban’s day. After all, this day was for him, as much as it was for her. She breathed a few times, eyes closing as she thought about happier things.

Then an idea popped in her head. She could always celebrate it with him this year. Her eyes opened, accompanied with a growing smile. Yes, oh yes, why couldn’t she celebrate it this year? It might not make up for every missed birthday, but it could just be something to have fun with. To remind him why it was special.

Yes. She’d do that for him. As his friend, she shall plan a small birthday celebration for him. Nobody else but him, Janine, and her mother. Janine felt all the anger dissipate with the plan already formulating itself in her mind. Of course, she needed to think of how to celebrate with him. She’d need to get a few things that he liked to eat, and of course she couldn’t forget the sweets. She’d also need decorations. With all the ideas in her head, she forgot that she was riding on horseback next to Raban until Venus reared her head with a snort. Janine gasped and clenched her reins tightly, breathing a little harder until she turned to Raban.

“Whoops. Forgot I was riding for a moment.” She sheepishly giggled.

Looking ahead, Janine and Raban finally touched familiar territory. The scents of flowers and multiple humans drifted in the air, catching Janine’s attention for the second. She sniffed the air before turning to Raban.

“We’re close to home,” Janine said before she urged Venus on. The horse picked up speed into a slow run, just to move quicker until the forest’s edge was in view. When they got close, Janine slowed Venus down until she saw Amastad once more. The cheering of the people and sight of flowers and leaves was still a thing, as she could clearly see people having their little fun. The bitterness prickled at her, but it quickly dissipated when Raban came beside her.

“Looks like we’re back home,” Janine said with a small smile.

Last edited:
She sounded resigned to his own ears, as if she had expected his answer. He was perhaps a bit of an open book in that regard. He could remember her face when he said he'd never been out on a picnic before. he wasn't sure what to have made of it but he had to admit, he had rather enjoyed the day out the picnic had provided and he knew instinctively he'd be up for one again.

Raban glanced as she huffed and spoke before he shrugged, "Just always been used to not celebrating as years passed, I guess. Don't think Cadfael even celebrated his own birthday... at least I can't remember him doing so..." he trailed off, trying to remember but he shook his head. "Nope, just another day for him too,"

He wouldn't necessarily have called it a punishment but he did recall seeing other kids of his age at the time when it was clearly their birthday or someone else's and feeling a little envious. For them, it was a day off and enjoyment. For him, it was just another day of reading, lecturing and training. At least, Cadfael ensured he never denied what he was. He had made sure Raban was well aware of what he was and what it meant. He couldn't recall Cadfael being disappointed or angry if and when he changed, particularly at will. He supposed the old man had viewed it as a partial boon should something happen he could actually help with.

Like that dragon.

Cadfael was an odd man for a Knight regardless.

He blinked when Janine gasped and looked towards her, "You all right?"

He snorted lightly with amusement at her answer, "Happens. I do it all the time."

"That's cause you're prone to brooding. Least you're not doing that half as much." Chestnut remarked in his mind, snorting a huff through her large nostrils.

Scents mingled in the air now and he knew that they were back almost in Amastad itself, the different smells vying for position. Humans, horses, rats, cats, cattle, birds, and other familiar smells. It was enough to almost catch him off guard with how immersed he had been with their day off. It made him sad it had come to an end.

Chestnut matched Venus as the mare sped up and slowed down as she did, all without a single bit of input from Raban. He was just used to holding on and going along for the ride. The sight before them was still one of celebration, although it did seem to start dimming down. It appeared people were enjoying the late evening festivities and he couldn't rightly blame them. The city had undergone a lot recently so the holiday was a chance for them to have a day off and enjoy.

"Indeed," he mused back, "Maybe with enough time for you to enjoy it with your mother, it's as much a day for her too." He wasn't sure what Tina had done with her day but he was sure some time with her girl would be nice for her too.

Raban looked out to the city of Amastad and wondered what he was thinking. Janine hoped that he had as much fun as she did. She would love to do this again - an off day was just what she needed, and she was actually sad that this day was ending soon. As much as she disliked this holiday, hanging out with Raban made this day infinitely better, and she’d actually restart this day, if only to relive the feelings she had all over again.

But alas, all good things come to an end at some point.

She groaned playfully at Raban’s statement. She wanted to stay with Raban longer, but looking up, she noticed the sun finally showing proper signs of setting. She sighed, figuring he was right. Janine and her mother spent the holiday together, in a sort of semi-sweet sense of the word. But she still spent time with her. Maybe she could get something on the way back home.

“But we were having so much fun. I suppose we will go back to town. Maybe they won’t notice us too easily,” Janine said as she gently slapped the reins to urge Venus down the hill. She blinked slowly as the celebrating city gradually drew closer to the two knights. When they got to the front gates, she paused, halting Venus in her tracks. All of a sudden, Janine didn’t want to pass the threshold. Out here, all of their troubles were non-existent. It was just them without a care in the world, not even when they were their other halves. But the moment they stepped into Amastad, all of their troubles were just waiting for them: dragons, hunters, even their fellow Knights were potential problems.

She groaned inwardly as the people danced and kissed each other all over town. Surely nothing bad would happen today, right? The option to have hope that the rest of today was very comforting, but also very difficult to maintain. Something always happened to them. Janine’s lips pursed together as the nervousness built up, making her shake her head.

“Do we have to go in? You don’t want to stay out here a little longer?” Janine asked.

Even though he knew it had to come to an end eventually, he seemed content to simply sit there in the saddle and watch Amastad as the light dimmed over the span of the city. Going back meant a return to their troubles that they were sure to face. They couldn't run from it, he knew that and he was wired to run from trouble. He had hoped he would have had more time before his time with the Order was through. Hope was however, very much like a fleeting rabbit in its rabbit warren.

He sunk into the saddle, glancing at the sound of a groan but he heard the mirth in her inflection. He didn't doubt she too had wanted today to last longer than it had but time flew so fast when you enjoyed it and so frustratingly slow when you weren't.

Raban offered a rueful smile back and Chestnut stepped on as Venus did, matching the lighter horse stride for stride so that the two horse's gaits matched perfectly. Chestnut's little amusements as Raban liked to call it. It wasn't long before the gates he was so familiar with loomed over them and yet thisn time brought a certain reluctance and coldness to them he hadn't felt before. People kissing and celebrating were least on his mind as he stared at the gates. He blinked as Chestnut hitched in her stride, pausing alongside Venus.

He looked at her for a moment before he looked back, "Never thought I'd feel a new level of what an outcast is... Till just now," he mused solemnly, a drier huskier note betraying his own anxieties this move brought to them both. However, he was not one to shy from his duty or from a threat.

"I'd like to... but your mother does deserve to have some time with you," he nodded, uneasy about returning to his own lodgings knowing the same man who was hunting him was always taking residence there during his stay in Amastad. It was the first in a long time he was tempted to sleep at barracks.... but that came with other complications.

"Come on, least I can do is walk you home," he smiled, knowing it was not out of chivalry... well, perhaps partly, but mostly because he wanted to stall heading back to his own lodgings. Just for the meantime.

Janine looked at Raban after she spoke. To her, he didn't seem too keen on entering Amastad either, but she could just be projecting her inner fears onto him. Fear rarely prevented Raban from doing what was needed - unlike her. Not that she had run away from danger yet, it was just how it felt, seeing everyone frolicking without a care, while she and Raban were riddled with the concerns of being discovered. While they simply feared dragons and wild beasts, they had to fear that, and everyone else.

It… just wasn't fair. She didn't want to go in and be reminded of everything. And she figured that Raban disliked it as much as she did.

As much as she hated it, Janine couldn’t fight it. Nor run from it. Not now. When Raban offered to take her home, her lips showed the smallest bend of a smile. How nice of him. She groaned as she rubbed the back of her neck. At least she wouldn't be going home alone.

“I guess so. Better than going alone,” Janine said as she moved Venus next to Chestnut and Raban. As she urged Venus to begin walking, Janine looked up at the gates as she and Raban passed the threshold. There was no going back after they went in. She just had to keep herself calm and try to enjoy the rest of Sweetfall's Day.

~~~~~~~~​

Janine brought out her more stoic and closed demeanor as she and Raban walked through the city. A part of her felt as if it wanted to give off this positive energy out to the citizens of Amastad - as if she was happy that they were happy. It was very strange, and she didn't like it for some reason. She didn't like showing emotions while she was amongst everyone, even when she was with Raban. There was a certain image that she had, and she preferred to maintain it. Today just so happened to be a very special day for the both of them, and she was eager to leave the city so they could be alone.

Janine desperately prayed that it wouldn't come back to bite either her or Raban's face in the future and threaten them both. She'd been in enough situations to realize that shit like this was prone to happen to them.

She and Raban continued like they usually did, but once again Janine felt the urge to break her rules and engage in conversation with Raban. Just simple topics such as food and the dwindling festivities, with a small dash of future holidays. Now that Sweetfall's Day has come, she knew that Hallow's Day was next.
Thankfully, the brief conversation brought a bit of happiness back into Janine's soul, and she felt herself perk up just enough to get through the rest of the way home. When she and Raban finally got to her home, she paused once again to watch the lights flicker in her home. She could just barely hear her mother humming to herself while she was in there.

Yes, maybe celebrating with her mother wouldn't be so bad either.

The young woman turned her head to Raban with a small smile. "Well here we are. Home sweet home," she mused. After getting off of the nickering Venus, Janine grabbed at the reins and opened the gate to let herself and Venus in. She let go of Venus to let her trot on her own before turning to Raban.

"Thanks for taking me home. And thanks for… everything else. It was very fun to celebrate today with you, really," Janine said with a rub to the back of her head. Gods, why did she get so nervous again? She could barely look him in the eye!

"You really have made Sweetfall's Day very special to me this year. It would've totally sucked without you; I would've probably hurt someone," Janine said as she looked down at the ground.

Fucking hell, could she be any more embarrassing? She could feel her insides shrivel up and die as she spoke.

"But seriously, thank you."

"Always," he nodded, knowing he would still have company on his own route home to his lodgings through Chestnut. It wasn't quite the same but she was still company. He just didn't fancy going back to his lodgings just yet knowing who else was lodged there. Raban was glad he wasn't someone who had a number of possessions to keep around him room. He would not be surprised if Graves had gone through his room trying to find proof to add to his evidence. Raban felt that would be jus the sort of thing Graves would do.

Silence was soon their companion as well as they rode through the city streets, the Sweetfall's festivities slowly wrapping up to a close with people laughing or returning to their homes. The idea of having a home was a novelty to Raban. He hadn't had a proper home since Cadfael had found him at his parent's farm when he was young. He supposed the Order was his home now, but that would soon be open for debate once Graves revealed that to them.

Raban didn't doubt the man would and he could only hope his reputation as a man and as a Knight would aid or benefit him when Kiegal came to a decision. After all, Graves might be a hunter of the Supernatural and unwanted of human society but Raban was also a Knight and as such, any decision regarding his life fell to the most senior of the Order.

The thought of Graves was enough to make the Lycan brood and after a while it took Chestnut some effort to bring him out of his self-imposed reverie. He blinked, dismayed he had let himself trail off to his inner musings when he was supposed to be in company of Janine.

He looked to her, watching for a moment as she dismounted before he nodded and followed suit, patting chestnut on her broad neck before he moved to stand in front of her. He watched Venus return to her paddock and smiled, glad the mare got the chance to be a horse without worry of worrying after her rider for a little while.

She spoke and he sensed she was nervous, anxious, he wasn't entirely sure why. A huffed snort from Chestnut made him think she knew why that was but Chestnut said nothing further in his mind and thus he let that pass. Raban tilted his head a moment before he closed the gap between them a little. He was also getting the feeling they were being watched but whether that was by friend or foe he didn't know. For the moment, he did not care.

He smiled at her with a soft grunt in his throat, "You're most welcome, and if anything anything.... I should be the one thanking you. I realise now I've missed out on a lot growing up... it's rare I get to feel so.... so..." he was at a struggle to find a word before he settled on one and chuckled slightly at it, "human."

The fact both of them had spent a good stint of it in their other forms was neither here nor there. He had genuinely enjoyed the day out with someone of whom he trusted with his life and that he could call a friend. He didn't have many of those.

"I'd like to do it again sometime," he nodded, speaking with conviction. There didn't have to be occasion for it either like there had been today. Doing it on their day off would be just as good for him. Otherwise, he normally spent it brooding or studying, everything that Cadfael had taught him to do. Yet, Janine had taught him how to be normal with something as mundane as a picnic.

He gave a pause for a moment, as if unsure on what to do or how to act before mental slap from the Demon behind him made him move. He stooped just enough to give her a small kiss on her cheek before he stepped back again.

"I'll, uh, see you tomorrow. Give your mum my regards won't you?" his hand moved to lightly take hold of Chestnut's bridle mostly for the want of something to keep his hands occupied with as he shifted his weight.

Even as her insides cringed at the sheer embarrassment coursing through her body, Janine listened to Raban. She was truly happy that he had enjoyed himself on Sweetfall's Day.

That he enjoyed spending his time with her.

And for him to feel human was an interesting aspect that she didn't take into account . But the fact that he felt privileged to actually feel normal allowed Janine to feel more joy into the equation altogether.

Her ears perked when he said that he'd like to have a picnic again. The young woman lifted her head up a little to speak again, hands grasping the fence in front of her as she leaned forward.

"That's wonderful. I'd love to do this again too." Janine said shyly. After a second, the silence was beginning to make the conversation strange and awkward, despite her reluctance to leave it, so she began to say her goodbyes. Her face moved upwards as she spoke.

"Well, good-"

Janine cut her sentence short when she sensed movement and felt a gentle presence of contact on her cheek. It startled her and she froze, eyes blinking with confusion. But as Raban raised his head back up to talk, it gradually clicked: he kissed her.

Wait. He kissed her? Just now?

He… He just…

Janine swallowed a little. What was she supposed to do?! Janine's grip on the fence tightened as her mind screamed with this wonderfully intense but scary feeling, and she didn't know what to do with herself. She could feel her tail wanting to come out, but she had to force the urge down. She could not do that outside. No way!

"I'm… Uh… I…" What did Raban say? Oh Gods what did he say? Something about Mom? Oh, he was saying bye!

"Oh yes, I-I will tell Mom you said bye - er, hi! Well, hi and bye. I'll s-see you tomorrow!" Janine stuttered. Even while she was awash with these strong feelings, the fact that Janine was making a fool out of herself wasn't escaping her. She just wanted to jump around and die at the same time.

"Yes, tomorrow! Have a good sleep," Janine said in a hurry as she backed away. Moving too fast, Janine accidentally bumped into Venus. She gasped and turned to see her horse nudging her, and she almost yelped. "Oh hey Venus! So sorry!"

In a sort of embarrassed panic, Janine waved to Raban with a stupid and sheepish grin on her face,. "Yes, I'll tell her 'hi' for you! See you tomorrow!" Janine said before she walked to Venus' stable. She fumbled to take off her horse's equipment, trying her damndest to not look in Raban's direction.

Just as he turned to leave, Janine ducked down behind the fence and scrambled to a small hole in it, where she was able to see him leaving. Panting, Janine was barely able to keep her composure. Safely hidden, she watched as Raban and Chestnut rode into the crowd and out of sight, where she knew he would be going to where he slept.

The young woman sighed as she stared blankly, and she would've surely done so for a long while had it not been for a voice calling out her name.

"Janine? Where are you? I know you're out there! Come inside where it's warmer!" Her mother called out. Janine gasped, realizing that she was supposed to be in her home, and quickly got Venus comfortable and situated before she walked out of the stable.

"Thanks for being patient, girl. I hope you had a fun day today. Have a good rest," Janine said to Venus before she walked in the house.

When she did walk in, the home was warm with the heat of the fire roaring in the fireplace. Her mother was at the table, setting food down as she hummed happily to herself. Janine looked around and saw small little knick-knacks put up in the spirit of Sweetfall's Day - little flowers, and cute strips of paper hanging around the house. It was cute, and it made her smile that her mother was able to keep busy and stay in a relatively decent mood while she was gone.

"Hey sweetie! How was your day? You were so excited when you left earlier today!" Janine's mother beamed as she walked over to hug her. She went to hug her mother, only to have accidentally pressed against Janine's wounds on her shoulder and neck. She hissed in pain as she flinched, making her mom flinch with her.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, really. Nothing I can't deal with on my own.”

“Janine…” the mother said with her trademark mom voice. Janine flinched with a groan.

“Mom, please, I just poked myself with something sharp. I was being dumb and got near a plant with spines in it. That’s all. And Raban helped me take them out. It’s just a bit sore, is all.”

Her mother didn’t seem to like that answer either. But after a few moments of silence, her mother sighed. “Alright, if you say so. So, where’s Raban? I thought he’d be behind you,” Janine’s mother asked. The young woman’s face instantly grew warm with the sudden memory of what Raban did just outside, and she sighed. “He, um, said that he wanted to get to sleep, and he told me to tell you to have a good evening.” Janine paused, the smile uncontrollably spreading across her face.

“He said that he enjoyed spending his time with me. Can you believe it? He really liked having a picnic with me.” Janine was giddy with joy, and it made her mother smile along with her.

“I’m happy that you two enjoyed yourselves. I wish he stayed for dinner, but I hope he has a good sleep. Are you hungry?”

“As a matter of fact I am. I didn’t realize how long it had been since I’ve eaten last. This would be a nice ending to a nice day,” Janine concluded as she kissed her mother on the cheek. As her mother settled down for dinner, Janine turned her head around to the window, just barely seeing the streets of Amastad clear out as Sweetfall’s Day came to an end. She walked to the window and stared outside, her eyes averting to the spot where she and Raban had stood not too long ago. The gentle touch that she felt was ever present on her skin as her hand drifted to the side of her face, just dancing around the spot where she was kissed. It felt so comforting and pleasing. She wanted it to happen again.

‘Goodnight Raban. Have a good sleep,’ Janine wished just before her mother called her for dinner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

The next morning was decent for Janine, between conversing with her mother and her traveling through town without incident. But unfortunately, she had her reprieve long enough, and it was time to get back to her duties. With this in mind, the young knight was focused until she began thinking about her eventful day yesterday; especially when she got home. Nothing could’ve topped the day better than that. The first Sweetfall’s Day that she truly enjoyed. Speaking of which, she wondered how Raban had been. Hoped that he actually did have some sleep at all.

A harsh neigh broke Janine from her thoughts when Venus suddenly reared backwards. Quick to gain control, Janine managed to calm Venus down, just in time to see a dog run from her peripheral vision. With a sigh, Janine took it as a sign that she needed to focus a little bit more. She and Venus trotted through the somewhat busy streets, in which now instead of cheering and gay festivities, it’s just the typical noise of a city, alongside the small commotion that was the duty of picking up the decorations and flower petals that had been scattered over the streets.

Janine was somewhat happy that she didn’t have to worry about this job. However, she did have other grievances that were of greater concern. Namely, one man who she dreaded to even think about. With a frown, Janine lifted her head slightly to sniff the air. While the scents of the flowers weren’t as strong in that moment than they were the day before, it was still abundant enough to mask Raban’s scent. A thought crossed her mind that she could just go to Raban’s lodgings and wait for him, but just as quickly hesitated. Would Raban want her to be waiting on him? What would he say? Janine hissed softly to herself with a huff. Even friends need space to move around on their own. Besides, he's bout to show up sooner or later. Perhaps she just had to wait for him to get to the courtyard like everyone else. With a small sigh, Janine resigned to moving herself towards the location of her brigade, hoping and praying that her mood wouldn’t be soured so early in the morning.

Raban's face flushed in momentary embarrassment and insecurity of whether it had been the right action to do at the time as he lifted his head back upwards. The slap from Chestnut had bolstered him without a doubt, but he had no other idea why he had kissed her, other than feeling instinctively that it was the right thing to do in that moment in time before the last hour of Sweetfall's was over. It just felt right. Whether it was something he was expected to do on a day such as this, he had no idea. Sweetfall's Day was something that Raban had never done for himself or another before today and as such had very little notion as to the customs of such a day.

Janine had opened his eyes to a lot today and he had realised he had missed out on a hell of a lot of things any normal mortal being would never think to call strange or odd to themselves. There was a trust and a bond between him and her that crossed any social or racial divide and he felt that it would stand a test of time.

"Time tests everything. Even friendships, Little Wolf."
"True... but this friendship isn't exactly normal either, is it?"
"Hmph. You made her sad by giving your leave when you did. She's just as twitterpated as you are."
"I am not 'twitterpated'."
"Sure buddy boy. Sure."

Raban tilted his head a fraction, perhaps Chestnut had a point. Whilst it wasn't exactly love that he felt... or his idea of what 'love' was in the least, he felt this connection with Janine he had with no one else. He held a strong desire to keep her safe and protected from harm. That they could talk about anything and not worry about anything coming back to hurt them in the doing. Janine, too, seemed to look as flustered as he felt right now.

"You just hide it better."

He had to concede another point. He was very capable of hiding his emotions and feeling in his facial display. Cadfael had taught his student well in that regard. Noth that Raban could begrudge the old knight his teachings. The man had taken Raban in, understood what Raban was and accepted him as his squire nonetheless, allowing Raban a purpose to his life. He was very grateful to the man for that but where Cadfael had failed, Janine had succeeded in exemplary style.

Watching Janine back away was hard to not laugh at, it was stupidly comical. Chestnut held less restraint and snickered, tossing her head with open amusement until Raban caught her muzzle and held it still. "Until tomorrow, Janine. Good night, sleep well," he bowed his head and remained as she made her retreat. He paused and then glanced up at the sky for a moment, eyes drinking in the encroaching starlight. He realised he was taking too long as Chestnut shifted her weight into him, making him place a foot forward to stop himself from stumbling down.

He looked at her and then patted the broad neck of the Punch in which Chestnut was trapped before he rose into the saddle with a familiar, smooth movement. Chestnut snickered one towards Venus before she turned and walked her Little Wolf back to the place in which he lodged. He was hesitant about returning there as it was also where Greaves seemed to be staying as well. It was an awkward stated of accommodations for him and for the owners. They were not family but he had known them for so long now that they might as well be considered as such. He knew that they held some affection for him in return given he likely represented a son for them to match the one they had lost.

The walk back was mostly quiet; quick movement and hushed giggles sprang from here and there as the evening drew on into the late hours but he was given no blockades as he made his way back to his lodging. He turned into the courtyard and he looked to the stables before he dismounted. Raban stared at the stall that had housed the malnutritioned white horse recalling the promise he shared with Janine about denying the other's truth should it be revealed. He breathed in deeply hoping against hope Janine would keep her end of the bargain. Raban had a strong inkling that his secret would the first to spread its wings and cause a stir in Amastad.

With a scratch of his jaw, he walked towards the stalls with Chestnut in tow and looked inside as he lead Chestnut to her stall. There it was, stood shakily on four legs with its head down. Just looking at the poor state of the horse Graves owned made Raban's blood boil. You could not expect to get far on a broken horse and that was what was happening to this nag. He saw to Chestnut's needs before he found a spare apple from the burlap sack from before. He tried tempting it over with the fruit but the horse didn't so much as look at him. He sighed and shook his head before gently tossing the apple into the stall. Hopefully, the poor thing would find it and have it later.

------------------------------------------​

Raban woke later than usual after a unsettled night of rest. It wasn't all that common for the dawn to beat him to the morning call of a nearby rooster but given yesterday and recent events, he had a lot on his mind to consider. Janine, Greaves, the Order, the unknown entity hunting Janine and their future. It was a kaleidoscope rolling about his mind as he got ready for the day ahead of which he wasn't entirely looking forward to.

At least Greaves had left before he had since his horse was gone. As was the apple he threw in, Raban noted. Whether it had been eaten or otherwise removed, that remained unclear but it was something. He got Chestnut ready and turned to leave half expecting Janine to be stood there already. He couldn't give reason to the thought but the empty passageway remained ever present.

Chestnut walked the way to the Order's courtyard where the Knights usually gathered with their mounts with Raban giving the barest semblance of controlling her directions. Today would depend entirely on what Greaves had shared with Sir Kriegel and how the leader of the Order would take this new information about one of his longest serving knights.

Raban knew Sir Kriegel was not without his intelligence and would surely join the dots with events that had occured over Raban's tenure with the Order. His time with the Order was the most obvious of these dots but there were others. Raban was sure Greaves would tell on what had happened with the chair nor did he doubt that Matron woman at the Infirmary would have missed the chance to comment on the speed of his recoveries.

His time with the Order was fast approaching its end either by choice or through force. He had known this was a long time coming, Cadfael had no qualms in driving that one home but it was a shame it had arrived in the way it had. He had hoped to make a healthy retirement choice, not potentially face being executed for what he was at the worst. Raban had to hope his time with Order and all that he had done for the Order accounted in the decision that Sir Kriegel would undoubtedly soon face.

As she got into the courtyard, the other Knights were on one side of the yard, semi-huddled together like a flock of birds. She tilted her head a little, wondering what the matter was. Against her first instincts, Janine rode over to the gathered men, putting on her most neutral demeanor as she stopped near them.

"Excuse me, what is the meaning of this gathering? Does anyone know what's happening?" She asked.

The other men looked towards one another and paused, as if they were hesitant in even talking to her. A pang of regret welled up inside Janine as she sat on her horse, wondering if she should've even spoken. She supposed it was because they weren't the best of mates, so that was probably the only thing about it.

But eventually one spoke up. "We don't exactly know. All we know is that creepy ass hunter is here, and Sir Kiegal is not out like normal. We think that something serious is going to happen, but we don't know what."

Janine swallowed. That damn bastard was here? Panic and anger rose within her, and she turned her head to face the entrance.

Suddenly, Janine felt as if this day would not be a usual day, and that feeling made her uneasy in her stomach. "Thanks for telling me," Janine said before she turned her head to the entrance, hoping for Raban to come around the corner. She muttered a short prayer to herself before ushering Venus back out of the courtyard. She made a few steps back out and scented the air as she scanned the crowds, hoping to find Raban just once more. In the distance just behind a carriage she just barely spotted Raban and Chestnut coming up the street. With a smile, Janine began to move towards them but -

“Ah, looks like someone’s a little excited today.”

Janine froze at the voice and gasped softly. That horrid, ominous, treacherous voice. She turned Venus around to see that near skeletal horse and its equally built rider. Her eyes narrowed a little as she backed up, instantly on guard in the face of this dangerous man.

"What's it to you?" Janine asked warily. She looked at the man as the nervous energy built up inside her, and she tried to find a way to get rid of it. "You look rather tired, old man. You should go back to bed and get some beauty rest. A few thousand years should do the trick. In case you forgot, the cemetery is just down that pathway," Janine added with a scoff.

"At least if you leave... you won't be governed by their stupid rules any more. No more of your 'no gray' matter trip."

Raban snorted at Chestnut's musings inside his mind. He found that amusing since Chestnut knew well enough that Raban had his own set of rules by which he had come to live. These had been designed by Cadfael over the years he had raised Raban as his squire to make sure he could survive and navigate the world he was in with as minimal cost to the mortal inhabitants as possible. It was a code Chestnut never had understood but she had respected Raban's faith in keeping by it. It didn't stop her from complaining about it though.

The walk to the Order's base of operations seemed to take longer than usual even though they weren't going any slower than normal on the route there. There wasn't more or less civilians going about their day. Yet it perceived to be longer.

"You don't want to go there. You know what awaits you. Take a sick day, Little Wolf. You are owed one."
"And then who would I be? A man without honour or conviction. Yes, I don't want to go, but I have to. I won't run, whatever the fate lies in store."

Chestnut snorted, tossing her head.

----------

Greaves chuckled at the words of the woman he had visited in the infirmary not that long ago. She seemed so very eager to have the one he was interested into to join her and he wondered if there wasn't something more between them. Poor wretched girl if that was the case, he mused. He was here for one thing and that was to make sure the city was safe from one less wolf in the world.

He looked and saw Raban upon his horse walking towards the courtyard. The time would come soon and the preparations had been made. He hadn't been able to go about this entirely his own way but it would be sufficient for now.

"Hm, how quaint... but I don't think the cemetery will be host a stone with my name on just quite yet, unlike others," he left it for her to fill in the unspoken meaning as he shifted his horse below. "Perhaps you ought buy flowers, it would be fitting."

His words were entirely designed to bait her into a reaction but it didn't matter if she showed a hand or not. Greaves had his primary target. All that there was left to do was for the werewolf to walk into his own cage.

Greaves chuckled at Janine’s smartass and disrespectful remark and countered with some ominous remarks of his own. She knew exactly what he meant and she narrowed her eyes angrily at him. Damn this man to the depths of hell. But even as she stared angrily at the man before her, she couldn’t keep the uneasiness down. Not time for him to have a tombstone, well that was unfortunate. He added his little remark about her buying flowers, which raised a lot of warning signs in her head. Her eyes narrowed as she glared daggers at the hunter, wishing her eyes would drop the man dead. Greaves wasn’t slick; she knew what he meant, and she had the feeling that he knew as well. Either way, she scoffed with disgust and shook her head a little.

“Buying flowers? No, I don’t think I will,” Janine simply remarked with venom as she turned her back to the Hunter. She ushered Venus into a trot, trying to get away from his threatening and piercing arua and gaze. Since eye contact was broken, she allowed herself to release her tension built inside her. She needed to tell Raban and plan with whatever little time they had. If today was what she feared it would be, she had to try to stall or help Raban escape. She looked back to see if Greaves was still behind her, only to see him and his skeletal horse gone from view. Almost like he was a ghost. Just yet another thing that made her fear him.

Venus’ whinnies alerted Janine of Raban’s presence as he drew closer. She blinked for a moment, relief washing over her for the seconds she had with him. “Raban!” Janine called out as she ran next to his side. “I’d usually say good morning, but this isn’t turning out to be a very good morning. Greaves is here, Sir Kiegal isn’t, and the rest of the Knights are gathered together. They don’t know what’s going on, but this happened last time. I think Greaves is finally going to try and finish what he started, and we haven’t figured out a way to stall him yet. We need to get him off your back, but how can we if he’s being this persistent? I’ve not gotten the chance to figure this out thanks to the dragon attack and me having to heal from it."

Janine sighed and shook her head. She really wasn't given much time to even solve this problem. If that damn dragon didn't attack… No, even if she wasn't hurt, it would've been the constant work of rebuilding the damaged parts of town pulling her away. Damnit. Was this supposed to happen? Or was this just some terrible coincidence? Either way it was going to kill Raban if something wasn't done. She turned her head to Raban and touched his hand. "Raban, why not just run away? Pack your things and go? Hide in the forest, and I can try and figure something out. I know you have this thing about honor, but if they won't see it like we do, then it won't matter in the years to come." Janine reasoned. She knew Raban had such a strong connection with this code he has for himself, but if he died with the werewolf conviction on his head, then it would all go out the window. Cowardice be damned, nobody wanted to die deep down inside. Everyone was scared of death; and she'd understand it.

Last edited:
Greaves smirked as she turned her back on him and watched as she made a steady beeline for the Knight that had spent too long on the Order's books. He would rectify that soon enough. Course, Kriegel was in a flare about all of this, as was to be expected and Greaves knew it was interfering with the man's decision. The rightful decision any sane man would make when regarding a beast of the damned.

He turned his nag and walked towards the doorway, not afraid that Raban would not show. Today was a mandatory meeting and no one was allowed to skive off. He chuckled softly, today was going to be an interesting day for them all.

--------------------------

"Here we go."

Raban looked up from his musings as they walked along the street towards the courtyard for the Order and saw Janine's hurried approach. One look told him she was anxious and on high alert. The hackles within him rose but he remained calm as Venus trotted up to him and turned, matching Chestnut's languid stride. Even Venus seemed a bit flustered.

Perhaps she was reading on the energy of Janine.

Raban nodded a greeting in silence and listened as she read him in to what was ahead. That Jedidiah Greaves was present was no surprise to him. That Sir Kriegel wasn't did. It wasn't like the man to excuse himself from duties but perhaps there was something keeping the man or something that merited the absence. The presence of every Knight in the Order being present however confirmed the nature of the day's meeting; him in a nutshell.

He could imagine the ruckus it would cause, the shock and embarrassment for some, the difficult position he and Cadfael had placed Kriegel in and perhaps revulsion and the feeling of betrayal too. It was all toiling around Raban's mind.

Chestnut snickered and Raban wondered. Stalling Greaves was all that they had been doing since his day in the chair and he doubted Greaves would just relent in his hunt or letting his prey go. Not without a good trade off and Raban knew just what kind of trade would interest the hunter of supernaturals and fiends. Raban wasn't about to let that happen. He had lived a good life, a hard but good life and he was all the better for knowing Janine.

He looked at her as Venus and Chestnut walked beneath their weight, feeling the tough of her hand on his. The touch was warming and he took some solace from it as he listened to her speak of running away and honour that wasn't going to be understood.

"She has a point, you know. We should just leave. You don't owe Amastad anything." Chestnut cut in, and Raban felt her emotions boil through. All the feelings she had gained everytime a 'meatsack' had caused him emotional or physical pain.

"You already know my answer,"
"She won't understand it. I'm not sure I do,"
"Does anyone?"

Chestnut didn't reply. She didn't have to. Not everyone could understand his mindset and what governed his life choices. He had only recently started to bend some of them thanks to Janine's influence on his life in recent months but some were just so fundamental that he wasn't sure he could break them. Chestnut snorted and pulled to a halt, reaching out to Venus and snickering to her to stop too. He heard disgruntled muttering from people behind them but he didn't care right now.

Raban flipped his hand, taking hold of her hand within his own and squeezed gently and firmly. He offered a rueful smile that seemed to entertain the thought of her suggestion in its entirety. "That sounds a pleasant fiction... It would be the easiest thing to leave everything behind and move on. Chestnut agrees on that front... she would have me leave this place too."

He sighed and dipped his head before he looked towards the building he had lead a life of duty to for as long as he had, "But it would be a half life. I know I have my code but it's been that code that has allowed me to live this life. To make it matter. It's not in my nature to run away and my honour is much about who I am as what I am. If I run, it would only damn my name, my family, and perhaps my friends through association with me. I won't give Greaves that satisfaction of my death on his terms. If I face it through the Order, Kriegel is bound by the law and protocol of the Order. Not a free madman with a pointy stick."

Janine hoped that Raban was listening to her. Listen and realize that what he’s trying to accomplish is going to fall on deaf ears. That he can always prove what he is to someone else who’s willing to listen to him.

That this honor of his is going to kill him. Chop his head off or burn him alive or skewer him with silver stakes. That he wasn’t going to live his life and do the things he probably wanted to do.

Things that she kinda wanted to experience with him.

She barely noticed the sudden lack of motion when Chestnut and Venus stopped walking, making them both stand in the way of moving traffic. She only really focused on Raban’s face as he shifted his hand to grasp hers. She looked down at their hands, seeing his larger hands nearly encompass hers. She felt safe in his hands, and she suddenly felt that she was being selfish in wanting this longer for some reason, but she couldn’t figure out why. Was it wrong to want someone to live?

He smiled at her, giving Janine the hope she so needed that he’d listen to reason. But instead he said the opposite, saying that it was only a fantasy. What? A fantasy? How? Her straight face turned into a small frown, her head tilting in confusion as she watched the man stare at the Order building with a solemn expression in his face. He explained about what his honor meant to him, and how it made him who he was. About not running away, and how it would taint everything he cared about. The words burned in her ears, and her hand clenched tightly in Raban’s, her worry now being blended with anger. How could he say that? How could he say that with such conviction and acceptance?

Her breath shuddered as she pulled her hand away from Raban, glaring eyes covered in pain. "A pleasant fiction?!" She hissed. Before she said anything else, she turned Venus towards an alleyway, not wanting any more of their conversation to befall on common ears. When far enough in, Janine turned her around to face Raban, her eyes glowing a slight tinge of brown.

"Fiction? This is only fiction as long as you refuse to do anything about it. It's only fiction because you refuse to do something to save yourself. And truth be told, your name will be slandered no matter what! Have yourself be proven to be a werewolf, and your entire past will be brought to question, and if you run away, then everything associated with you is still slandered. It's a lose-lose situation; it all ignores the goodness within you." Janine said with worry.

It was painful to read the confusion and pain that was crossing her features and it pained him more to know that he was at the cause of that hurt. He understood her reasons and if his sense of duty wasn't as strong, than he might have entertained the proposition of leaving Amastad and running away. It stung when she removed her hand from his like he was something wretched all of a sudden and he tried to not let it affect him as much as it might otherwise have done.

Chestnut followed Venus as soon as the mare had been turned for the alleyway, the demon seeing the reason for the want of getting out of a main thoroughfare before even Raban had realized whyh she was moving away from him. The demon was in a heart of conflict; she preferred Raban listened to Janine and that he would forsake his duty to the Order and leave. It ought to have been the obvious and sanest choice, but she also knew how strong his sense of duty and honour was for him as a human being and as a Werewolf that had a chance to be as randomly dangerous as other of his kind.

There was something to be said for going on a rampage and the difference in being able to remember what you had done and not. Werewolves never remembered their rampages or what they had done when they returned to human state and since Raban knew what he was and could change at will, he bore the weight more keenly than other werewolves. He carried a burden Janine did not necessarily carry around.

Raban dismounted and Chestnut snorted, turning around so she could watch out for any suspicious characters. Last thing either of the pair wanted right now was people dropping eaves on this conversation.

"Go easy with her, Little Wolf"
"I know..."

Raban stood before Janine in an open posture, one that was deliberately letting himself be vulnerable and that he had purposefully let his guards down. Chestnut would cover the rest of the worry. He listened with pain that had come with a broken home, fear that was natural for his kind and a resolution of the predator within that didn't wish to give up on the chase. He knew he would have to exercise patience in his explanations and reasonings but he could not say how much time they were to be allowed in this talk nor how much longer he would survive within the Order's norms of routine. Things were changing, faster than he had hoped for.

"I have been living on borrowed time for the longest time, ever since Cadfael took me under his wing and raised me from boy to man. He knew what I was and he kept me regardless of that I was something this Order we're a part of would have destroyed. There have not been many Knights who have seen or would see me as anything more than what this curse makes me. Sir Cadfael gave me structure and a code that governs everything that I do or say... You have made me bend a few of his additional rules since I met you... and I do not regret that. Not for an instant."

He sighed and rubbed his face, "I took the same Oath to the Order you did when you joined, Janine. Am I to ignore that duty? To forsake myself as Knight, the one path that has kept me from harbouring anger and vengeance in my heart? I was not always the calm and the collected man... I was an irrational and angry youth... Had it not been for the Order and Sir Cadfael... a lot of good innocent people might have died from a misuse of the wolf inside. People that didn't deserve that fate. It's a curse for good reason, Janine."

"This day would have come with or without Greaves," he paused, eyes searching hers before he sighed, continuing. "I am a predator, Janine. As are you. Do you run from the threat, the problem... What we are, we're not prey. I can't deny what I am, one toss of that Wolfsbane and I won't be able to stop the change. If Greaves doesn't get his way, he'll use it and I might not be able to control my actions if it happens."

"It's clear Kriegel knows what I am now thanks to the hunter, Greaves won't desist in his hunt and neither of them may realise just how different I am. So, if I do run, he will still come after me or us. I have been close to wanting his death but then I'd be no better than he is and I will not become a murderer to solve that problem."

He looked to her at a loss to make her understand him but all he wanted really was for support. "If today is my judgement day, I will face it. I accepted it could be a possibility for a long time now. It's a day I hope I can persuade Kriegel to favour exile over death... all that I have done for the Order might count for that and that's not something Greaves has any say on."

"As far as you know," Chestnut chimed in unhelpfully.

Janine watched as Raban got off of Chestnut, his demeanor and stance open and vulnerable. She growled at him, but sighed and dismounted from Venus as well. The height difference between them was once again realized, making Janine look up as she listened to Raban. He explained how the code and order shaped him, recalling his younger self and the curse that he needed to keep at bay. The danger he posed, despite his uniqueness. How his code is the only thing that kept him from hurting innocent people in anger and vengeance.

As he spoke she couldn't help but to understand his reasoning just a little. But what she couldn't understand was how he couldn't surmise that him running away this one time wouldn't just blow all his morals away. He talked about dying on his own terms, but this isn't how he wanted to die at all. But then he mentioned the oath he took, as well as Janine. She flinched, remembering that she had taken the Oath as well. However she was hesitant to admit to him the fact that she didn't go into the Order with a bottomless amount of selflessness and honor in mind. Her experiences in Amastad haven't exactly stirred her emotions the other way either. But she was bound by the oath she was sworn into, and even if she hated some folks here, she'd be compelled into their safety.

This alone made her shake her head with irritation. She couldn't figure it out, but the more she listened to Raban, the more she felt she might understand his strong sense of his honor. She supposed that he thought of this as some final way to protect the people that he always had a chance to endanger. But it isn't his fault! He never asked to be born the way he was. And even then, this was the best case scenario for a werewolf. To be able to change at will was a blessing that could help countless lives.

He was basically being executed for being born. Being born different. Not human.

If hurting others was a problem, she could protect them in his stead. If Raban was swayed by the moon, she would do everything in her power to keep him away from innocent people. Lure him into the forest, spar with him all night, hell, she'd lock him up herself!

She sighed, feeling her resistance slightly fading. She moved closer to Raban, sadness filling her body as she listened to him. That was, until he mentioned Greaves again.

Her eyes glowed as they narrowed once more. "And then we have the problem of Greaves. There will not be any 'I won't give him the satisfaction', because you dying is his satisfaction! He won't care if he did it, Sir Kiegal does it, or if someone from the ranks ran up and stabbed you in the heart themselves, all he'd have to do is see it, and he's fine! Do you hear me? He'd be fine with the rest of his life, while you're in pieces!" Janine snarled. She felt her lip quiver a little as she broke eye contact.

"And… so would I."

Janine panted as her eyes welled up with tears, but she snarled at herself and wiped them away, forcing down the rest as she looked down at her feet. She can't show any more emotion. Not now.

Janine looked at Chestnut, and for the first time since they met, she felt like she could be just as fiery and as angry as her. She felt heat inside her, and it almost felt like her insides were boiling. Venus nickered nervously, shuffling as Janine seethed in front of her. She hated Greaves. She hated him with all her heart. She wished he would go to hell and leave her and Raban alone. She gave a small hiss towards her fellow demon before looking back up at Raban.

"I thought I could comply with what you asked of me. I thought I could understand why you asked me to do what you requested... But I just don't fucking understand. I thought I had it, but I can't grasp it. And if honor is going to kill you now, then I hate honor. And I will hate the Order.

And I will hate -"

The bell tolled before Janine finished her statement. She gasped, looking to the left as the bell signified their time being up.

Janine sniffled as she backed away from Raban, her eyes having gone back to normal. "Don't worry, I won't reveal anything. I won't acknowledge knowing your other half. Even though I can't protect you, I still have my mother to protect," Janine said with a bit of sadness. She got herself back on Venus and trotted on, making herself go within the crowd as she went back in the courtyard.

Just as she went inside the yard, Sir Kiegal had stepped out of the building, ordering the Knights to walk inside for urgent business. Janine felt the tears welling up again, but as soon as she saw Greaves, a snarl exited her throat. Thankfully, he was too far away to hear, and she forced herself to stop and blink the forming tears down her cheeks, just to relieve the pressure. She tied Venus up at a post, and her horse nickered as she looked at her. "I know. I just… Can't right now. I'll see you later," Janine whispered before patting her on the shoulder. She wiped the tears again, refusing to let anyone know. She couldn't let anyone see her weakness. No emotions, especially in front of Greaves. She'd lose it before the meeting started, and she has to fortify herself for the prosecution.

Because that's what today was going to be.

When she thought she was good enough to go inside, Janine began her long and stressful walk to the doors. She knew she would be fine as far as the werewolf testing was concerned, but after today, it wouldn't be the same. With a defeated sigh, Janine walked inside the building, meeting with the other Knights as they listened to Sir Kiegal speak.

Janine was angry with him, at him, and he knew she had a right to be. What he had accepted, others would not open the doors to but he wasn't the kind of man to run from things. Despite their common ground in being what they were, Raban was realising there was just that much of a difference between them. He couldn't fault her for the words she was telling him nor would he.

As he spoke he could feel his tiredness in his bones, a lifetime of always looking over his shoulder, abiding by a code and a set of rules laid down by his mentor and foster father but never being allowed the time for friends or himself. The day out with Janine had been one of the most freeing he had ever come to experience and he found himself wanting that too. Yet, being what he was and staying with the Order put that rather at risk and that wasn't something he wanted.

No, either he was exiled or he would retire. He was pushing the age limit as it was and he knew he couldn't fool people around him for much longer but Raban did not regret this life. It had kept him alive, safe and useful. This was all a consequence of that fateful day the dragon had first arrived. If he hadn't been seen, none of this would be happening and this conversation might not have been needed. Yet, had it not been for the Dragon then he would never have made a friend in Janine.

He just hoped they would remain thus after this was all over should he survive it.

She moved towards him and then stopped again as the sour onion of this tale was mentioned and whilst he was sad for it, he understood her anger and fear. Chestnut was going through the same mindset and emotions.

"You should run, even though you won't."

There was an uncomfortable silence before she spoke and he felt the anger come forth. It hurt, being on the receiving end of her ire wasn't something he found he liked but Raban bore it. He listened to her even though he might not go through with the order in the voice that didn't express it in so many words. Raban kept eye contact but his head dipped with acknowledgement in what she said. There was some truth to it if the ruling was for his death.

"And… so would I."

The words stung and cut deep into him yet he resisted the urge to reach out and dry her tears, to hug her and try and reassure her it would be okay. It wasn't a promise he could keep and if he did, she would hate him for it as well. He didn't want Janine to hate him... she was the only friend he had besides Chestnut.

Chestnut met the woman's fiery gaze and matched it with raising her temperature in reply, tossing her broad neck before looking back out to watch people on the street. Chestnut could not help her change Raban's mind even if she agreed with Janine. To force him to comply would do none of them any favours in their friendship.

She spoke of the promise he had asked of her and fear seized his heart. It was one thing for him to be in this danger of being discovered but he could not have her exposed. His fear felt at this was transparant, he hid none of his own feelings on his features as they stood in the alley.

"Janine... I..."

The bell cut deep and he looked towards the mouth of the alleyway. He stared towards it, mouth agape for a solid minute before movement caught his attention and he looked back to her. She reaffirmed her promise buthe knew this had affected their friendship in some way. If he survived today, he hoped he could make it up to her, he vowed he would. He nodded silently and watched her leave.

"If you live... you're going to spend the rest of your life making it up to her."

Raban looked at Chestnut and nodded, there wasn't much a question that he wouldn't in so long as he survived today. If today was his day of judgement, then his days as Knight was over and he would be an outcast, never allowed to set foot within the city walls again. He turned wishing Cadfael was still alive to help him and rested against Chestnut's neck. She looked at him as he stood there.

With a butt from Chestnut, he moved and walked the rest of the way, her bridle held loose in one hand. Everything was changing so fast and he was running to catch up but never felt like he was keeping up. He reached the courtyard and left Chestnut loose.

"Good luck."
"Thanks... we're going to need it."

------

The mood of the hall was mixed; some were as they usually were and sitting with patience to see what this was all about whilst others were apprehensive or confused. Kriegel stood at the centre of the raised platform at the head of the hall, Greaves standing to one side. He also had two of his Knights stand by both sides of the door. Nothing about this was pleasant and his Knights had been confused by the orders they were given yet they would carry them out regardless as their training instructed them to do.

The lead Knight's eyes rested on Janine as she entered and took her seat and knew his decision today wasn't going to go down too well. He looked his Knights over and bar the man of interest, all were accounted for. He could feel Greaves' excitement, the man wasn't good at keeping still, always bouncing or shifting in some way. At the back of the raised platform was a age that had been erected by the help of Greaves and local blacksmiths. It looked heavy and sturdy with odd glints of silver that caught the candlelight.

He wondered if he ought to just call all of this off as he realised the lengths Greaves went to but the Order's rulings were clear. He could not just ignore this and whilst he wasn't making his final call on what was to be done, it was not going to be easy. This was not something he needed today but his hands were tied

The doors opened again to reveal Raban and for the first time ever, Kriegel saw the hesitancy and nervousness yet conviction. He looked to the pair at the door and nodded, as was the signal for them to act. The pair shifted and gently restrained Raban, holding his arms each. Kriegel was happy the man didn't resist or make a scene as he was simply held there for the time being.

Kriegel took in a breath and spoke. "Thank you all for attending today... Firstly, I must commend you all for your work in dealing with the dragon and aiding with repairs to the city. However, we must draw back to that day we were all last gathered here. It gives me no pleasure to announce this, but the identity of the werewolf has been discovered."

Heads turned and glanced each other, words rising into the air and Sir Kriegel had to gesture for silence once again. "This situation is not normal at the best or worst of times, and unfortunately it would appear this is not going to be easy for any of us as we have learned that it is one of our own." He looked towards Raban and after a moment of shock and confusion, heads turned to see where he was looking and there were a couple of exclamations as they realised who it was. Kriegel gestured at the three stood at the back with a heavy sigh.

Raban felt the gaze of practically everyone fall on him before he was gently pushed forwards. His heart was starting to pick up in pace. He could feel the shock of those around him as he moved down the centre aisle. Shock, confusion, fear, disgust, betrayal and anger. He walked towards where Kriegel and that vile man Greaves were waiting. Raban eyed the cage; that was new and from the look of it, it would suffice in holding one of his cursed kind.

"Under the investigation presided over by Mister Greaves, you have been discovered to be one who holds the venom of the werewolf in their veins. Mister Greaves is uncertain how you last for longer than he surmises a Werewolf could withstand for the last time you were in the chair. However through discussion with the Matron of the Infirmary, he has learned that you have healed much more quickly than others of our creed. There is a long list of occurrences that were or have been found curious and suspect. All down to the wolf. I know this might be scary for you... but you know those have the curse don't know they have it. "

It was everything Raban had tried avoiding but couldn't, the matron always had been an observant sort save for her debacle in thinking Janine was a woman of a questionable role in life but medically, she was very astute. It was then he realised what Kriegel had said and stared wordlessly back. Did they think him just a normal Werewolf... Had Greaves bothered with his homework that much, he wondered.

The tension and apprehension in the Order building was so heavy it was like a blanket hanging over everyone. Hearing Sir Kiegal talking to the Knights about finding a werewolf and the two knights apprehending Raban from behind like he was some sort of criminal was so upsetting, she couldn’t watch him outright. As the rest of the brigade muttered nervously amongst one another, Janine kept quiet. When he was brought to the front, she dared turn her head to face that direction, if only a little. Even so, her eyes scanned across the room as she studied the rest of the men, listening to the whispering wave of disbelief, shock and doubt.

“Sir Raban is a werewolf?”

“I never thought he would be one.”

“Is Sir Kiegal sure about this?”

“I had a feeling. He was always too quiet for a Knight.”

“But that’s the point. There’s no way he’s a vicious beast, he’s been with us for the longest time.”

Janine’s ears twitched as she picked up on the broken conversations. There seemed to be some sort of doubt amongst some of the other young men. That meant there was no obvious decision in their opinions of Raban. She could use this to her advantage. An idea formed in her head. Well, a half-plan more or less. She couldn’t think any further than this moment, but she had no choice. She couldn’t help but want to get Raban out of this predicament, even if he did put himself in this position.

Then he spoke once more and the men grew quiet, speaking of the evidence against him - Greaves’ device and testimonies from the Matron of the Infirmary. She sighed as she mentally cursed the Matron for noticing Raban so closely. She never did like that woman after she accused her of being some sort of sketchy, go-arounder of a woman, sleeping with men and whatnot. The nerve! A sigh exited her mouth, seeing that she was more astute in her observations than she knew. But even so, was there strict and clear ‘evidence’? Or was this just him going off of spoken word than physical, true evidence?
She feared to challenge the notions, for she knew Greaves would be more than happy to oblige in meeting them. But, if there was a chance to challenge them, maybe she could instill enough doubt within Sir Kiegal that he would second guess his decisions?

As much as she respected Sir Keigal for his character, she didn’t have much faith in him to make such a ‘backwards’ decision. She didn’t have much faith in any of the Order members, honestly. They were too set in their ways to think anything else.

But still. She had to figure out what to do. She had to try, or she’d never forgive herself.

~~~~~~~~~​

Sir Kiegal looked at the members of his brigade as they murmured concerns. He didn’t want to believe it when Mister Greaves called Raban out as a werewolf, but with him being the authority in the matter, and with spoken testimony from the Matron, he had no choice but to look into the matter further. “Yes, I know this is a spark of concern, but with situations as serious as this we must keep calm.”

He turned to Raban with a small frown. He looked at the Knight with a face that mirrored his own - one of equal conviction and duty. “You have been in the Knighthood for as long as I can remember. You’ve served for many a year, in many cities, and your cooperation and knowledge was always valued. But you know as well as I that werewolves are too dangerous to be kept alive. It’s a wonder and a mystery that you’ve managed to keep this secret to yourself with the typical amnesia and whatnot. But for the good of the people, we must eliminate all evil that -”

“Sir!”

Raban paused and turned his head to the voice that spoke behind him. It was one of his brigade members.

“S-Sir. How do we know that it’s Raban, exactly? He hasn’t really… Shown anything suggesting him being a werewolf.. Sir,” the young knight said with a wavering tone. Sir Kiegal frowned a bit and turned his body to the crowd before him. He looked at them, and didn’t see them with absolute conviction or assurance. His frown deepened at this. While he didn’t expect them to be totally sure with this since they weren’t investigating the matter, he didn’t expect them to doubt his word.

“Yes, Sir! Sir Raban has not done anything suspicious these last several months. He never spoke to anyone strange, and he didn’t show any strange behavior.” Another knight spoke up.

“Harold has a point. He’s never been rude or aggressive towards us or shown anything that suggests being a werewolf. How can we tell this is true?” a knight named Henry questioned.

Sir Kiegal folded his arms at the sudden outbursts of his Knights. Where was this sudden involvement coming from? “I do not know where these outbursts are coming from, but questioning me is not going to be -”

“Not questioning you, Sir. Not outright.” Sir Kiegal turned his head to the voice that spoke: the only female voice within the whole building. Janine. He hummed with a lifted brow. Why was he not surprised? He took a quick glance at Greaves before looking at Janine. For some reason he was curious about her statement.

“Not outright?” Sir Kiegal mirrored.

He watched as the Knights all turned towards Janine, her frame suddenly jumping as she was given attention. He sensed nervousness and uneasiness, but then again, this situation was tense… Even so, he felt a certain kind of uneasiness coming from her specifically.

“I… I mean that the knights aren’t questioning you, no more than questioning Mister Greaves.” the young woman said as she gestured her head towards the sketchy man.

“He sat Sir Raban in a chair for, what, ten minutes, and he’s deemed to be a werewolf? Who does that? Greaves wanders around town like some walking skeleton, creeping out the knights with his looming and stalking. Who knows if he’s even good? We haven’t seen or heard any signs of werewolves for months. No howling, no torn bodies, not even from livestock, no weird clumps of fur, no sketchy behavior. Sir Raban isn’t sketchy in the least, or even dangerous, so why is he up there?” Janine asked.

Last edited:
Raban gave no resistance to the Knights holding him. He could sense their nervousness and confusion and he didn't want to add to that. It echoed the feeling of the room.

Wonder. Fear. Apprehension. Confusion. Sadness. It was a myriad of emotions that floated around. He heard some of their whispers from those in the room and could only think Cadfael's skills in his upbringing.

He shifted uncomfortably under the hold. Not to their touch or grip but he could also feel the proximity of silver in the room. The cage was riddled with the fine metal and Greaves was wearing his own share nevermind whoever else happened to own a silvered item.

"Still time to make a run for it."
"I'll not degrade myself that way. It's not the Knight's way."
"Tell that to Janine."

Raban sighed and lowered his head in thought.

------------------

It seemed Sir Kiegal had been equally surprised by Greaves' findings and seemed hard pressed to believe the scrawny man. Raban knew however that his boss was duty bound to investigate any instances or reports regardless of whom the subject was about. If the man hadn't, this wouldn't be something that was happening now.

He lifted his head as he felt Kiegal's gaze upon him and met his gaze as the other spoke to him of his tenure, loyalty and acknowledgement that he was cursed. Yet, none in the room except Janine seemed to know just how different he was.

"Evil? He has no idea."

Raban frowned as Kiegal was interrupted and he glanced as to the person who did so. A younger knight, but then most in the room were younger than himself. Another reminder of his age.

Raban heard the questions and then Janine's voice add to the fray. He glanced to her wondering what she was up to. Raban realised and respected this affair would not be easy for her to deal with. She questioned Kiegal and subsequently Greaves and he wondered if that was altogether wise but he couldn't stop her nor would he. He didn't have that right.

Greaves stirred at the questions thrown and seemed to eye the audience with the air of one who knew his business and found it irksome to be doubted. But the hunter knew there would be doubts, questions, and all that came with suspecting a colleague. People were so afraid to accuse friends and family that they oft tried to find the scapegoat.

Then one voice spoke up and he smirked. He rather hoped she would. He doubted she would have stayed silent after all, considering her friendship with Raban. Just how close they were, he didn't know but he knew he was right about the Knight.

He let Janine speak her piece before he cleared his throat, "If I might be so bold as to answer that...?"

Kiegal gave a gesture in reply and Greaves nodded before he skewered his gaze on Janine. At least initially before taking in the rest of the Knights sat on the benches.

"Have you not read the archives on such beasts? Did you ignore all of what I told you about them at my previous lecture? Such ignorance will grant you an early death or a cursed fate," he began.

"Admittedly, there are curiosities to Sir Raban that are not indicative of Lycanthropy but he has exhibited all the signs of being one nonetheless. He has reacted to silver... I daresay he is feeling its proximity even now. His wounds after sustaining injury were noted to have healed at a much faster rate than what is normal for a human."

"Matron was left most perplexed and I have no reason to doubt her account of his medical records. They go back a long time as Sir Kiegal tells of his tenure. A prestigious one at that, so I hear." Greaves looked at Raban but only received absent look in return. There was no denial from Raban, just absence.

"It's true there's been little in the way of other evidence... the howling, fur, aggression... But werewolves are like their namesakes... they do have territories. This may be why you are not seeing immediate physical evidence. However, there is one easy way to prove that Sir Raban here is or is not a werewolf. If he is not, I will give my word I will leave him be and take my leave of the city after compensation." He raised his brows and opened his arms before looking to Kiegal.

"You said so yourself... If my findings are true and that your Knight is indeed a werewolf, the evil must be eliminated. Your Order is very clear on that."

"You ought to deny it all, Little Wolf!"
"You know as well as I do how fruitless that is. He's mad enough to throw one of his concoctions on me. He'd do it, caged or not. I'd have no idea if I'd keep my control or lose it if he did."
"You're mad,"
but Raban heard the acknowledgement of what he had said in Chestnut's voice.

Being in the spotlight was still too nerve wracking for Janine. Even though she figured that speaking up would be unwise, she didn’t know what else to do. Not speaking and letting this whole thing go on would kill her, but if she kept speaking too much and pushed Greaves, the outcome would be the same, only except it would be her fault. That feeling would be ten times worse.

But what should she do? The idea was to instill doubt among the ranks and essentially Sir Kiegal, but the assurance of Greaves off-set the whole thing. He was too confident in his reasoning and findings, and it just spoke to how skilled he was. Even after she tried to openly slander him, Greaves just oozed with confidence. Even from all the way in the back of the room, she could’ve sworn she saw a smirk from the man. Her body slightly trembled with nervousness when he fixed his gaze on her before speaking. Dammit to hell, he was enjoying this, wasn’t he? Was just dying to shove his authority in her face with a smile.

She narrowed his eyes at him in defiance, despite her and Raban’s position. She hated being looked at like that, that look of smug victory belittling her every move. Bastard. But he still stuck with the Matron’s word being the foremost leading evidence, as well as the silver, of course. He went about scolding the brigade lightly about ignoring his lecture. She heard him more or less that day, but she wasn’t focused on him that much - she was too busy being focused on Raban while he was in that godforsaken chair. Her eyes widened a little when Greaves proposed a deal to Sir Kiegal. An easy way to prove Raban being a werewolf? What was it? She hoped it was something that took time to prove. She had the sickening feeling that she knew what method it would be, even though she prayed for otherwise. Should she say something? Suggest something else?

She thought against it; her first outburst was excused, even if it was tainted with disrespect. She sensed that a second outburst would anger the older Knight and shut her down, or even draw suspicion over to her, which would set back everything she’d try to do all this time. She looked to Sir Kiegal, hoping that the method to be said wouldn’t be what she feared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Sir Kiegal blinked at the proposal the Hunter offered. While he trusted what was revealed already, what was already taken into account could possibly be considered hearsay; a more definite demonstration would set the record straight. A part of him prayed that he would be wrong - that he was just overreacting to half-reliable statements about sightings that were not even absolutely proven to be true. Another part of him wanted to see this through to the end, no matter where it led; he had a duty to the city and Order he was bound to to keep humanity safe. Or at the very least, the humanity that was within these walls. He would never forgive himself if he let his emotions cloud his judgment and end up hurting innocent people.

He turned his gaze to Raban for a moment, thinking for a short while longer before returning his gaze to Greaves and nodding his head.

“Yes. I would prefer some hard concrete evidence for once. I am not entirely comfortable with just word-based testimonies when it comes to situations like these." The Knight said with a short nod. He gazed out towards the knights and caught Janine's face. Out of everyone, she seemed to be the most emotional, which he deemed strange. For the entire time he had trained and interacted with her, she showed aggression, anger and determination more than any other emotion. Not exactly towards him, but in general. For her to show a level of worry that was on a higher level than most of the other knights said something to him, but he couldn't pinpoint what it exactly meant. Maybe if he remembered after this he'd ask her.

He sighed as he turned to Raban and frowned a little.

"While it might not be much consolation, I sincerely do hope that we're wrong, my chap."

He backed away from Greaves and Raban to allow the Hunter to do what he needed to do.

"Sir!"

Sir Kiegal turned to Janine's voice again. Her persistence was steadily making him upset. It was curiously irritating. Why was she making this much fuss over Sir Raban? Yes he made them partners, but he didn't expect this much of a reaction from her. Did she not want to prove that Raban wasn't a werewolf?

"Yes Janine?"

"Why can't we just wait until a full moon to see if he's a werewolf? It's only two nights away. We all know that werewolves change at night," the young woman insisted. He cocked a brow at her. This was true. But it took too long. If there was a quicker way, he'd like to do it. Putting Raban through this stress any longer than necessary was unneeded.

"Janine, I know you might mean well, but -"

"I'm just trying to say that -"

"Knight, do not interrupt me. You may mean well, but this has gone on long enough. Let the man do his job." Keigal said with more authority in his voice. He wasn't about to let a Knight dictate his investigation.

"But Sir -"

"Janine!" Kiegal shouted with a commanding voice. He walked over to her, every stride threatening the young Knight with his sheer aura of authority. He was mere feet in front of her, seeing her tremble a little as he stood before her.

"I will not tolerate insubordination in my ranks, do you understand me, Knight?!" Kiegal shouted as he looked down at Janine.

~~~~~~~~​

Janine tried her hardest to stall, but things just weren't working the way she wanted. Her desperation got the better of her, and she let it break her previous concerned, yet defiant stature. The outburst didn't work either, only drawing undivided attention to herself.

When Sir Kiegal walked up to her, she felt all emotions regarding defiance shatter, giving way to fear, desperation and worry. He shouted at her, commanding respect and silence with his one question. She shuddered, now looking down like a dog would to its master.

"Look at me, Knight. Do you understand me?" Sir Kiegal asked again.

Janine flinched. Fuck. She had no choice. She put her foot in her own mouth with this outburst. She felt a part of her succumb to Sir Kiegal's authority and force her to look up, despite the defiance she so desperately wanted to keep up.

"Yes, Sir." Janine responded.

"Say it louder."

The tears welled in Janine's eyes at this point. Godamnit! She should have just shut up! No crying. Too many eyes focusing on her. No crying!

"Yes Sir!" She said with a raised voice.

"Thank you." Sir Kiegal said as he backed away and walked back to his original spot up front. She felt everyone staring at her, body still shivering, struggling to contain her stress and fear. This... this was going to happen.

And she couldn't do anything about this.

She got up on her feet and proceeded to walk out of the building. She wouldn't watch Raban being forced to become a werewolf. She couldn't.

"Janine, wouldn't you want to stay to see if your partner isn't a werewolf? I promise I'll leave him alone afterwards," Greaves' voice chimed across the room.

Her body froze just at the door, hand gripping the door handle with hatred and rage. Damnit, she hated it! The smugness in his voice. Taunting her in front of everyone. Her back tensed so much it ached, feeling how it would if she was raising her back and fur in her other form.

"Well?" Sir Kiegal prompted, all patience gone from his tone.

Janine bared her teeth, trapped in a corner that she couldn't escape from. Wiping the tears from her face, she turned as she managed to revert to her more defiant demeanor, even if the stream down her face betrayed her true emotions to everyone.

"I'm staying." Janine finally said as she walked back to her seat. It hurt. It hurt so much to be this helpless, but Raban was even moreso. Standing before the whole brigade, he was virtually surrounded by enemies. She had to stay, to make sure nobody was hurt. Neither Raban nor the rest of the Order. She prayed that Raban would keep his control. Or just resist long enough to prove Greaves' wrong.

But deep down, she had the feeling that all hell was going to break loose.

Last edited:
Raban's shoulders tensed as Greaves addressed the Knights and moreso at Janine. He knew the measure of the Hunter; the an would try to provoke the woman and Raban prayed that Janine would remain calm and remember the promise she had made him. He had good reasons why he had made her swear to keep it. He did not wish to see her hurt or hunted in the same fashion as he was, nor did he wish harm to come to her mother of whom was an innocent in all of this.

He could feel fingers grip tighter on his arms but other than tensing, he gave no cause for them to be concerned. He listened, barely paying attention before he glanced up when an offer was made. Raban glanced to the cage and knew that had yet a part to play in all of this and he didn't doubt it was designed to hold one of his kind.

He gave a wane smile; he wasn't going to have a chance to get out of showing what he was. Hard evidence would always convince people of a decision... it was difficult to refute.

The emotion in the room was cloying, like a constant tap but he felt Janine's most of all. The only person he cared about. He almost missed it as Sir Kiegal turned to him, a frown on the seasoned man's features. Disappointment? Hope? Kiegal looked conflicted and Raban supposed he had every right to be. He doubted any commander of men wanted this situation on their hands. Yet here they were; his life in Sir Kiegal's and the Council's hands.

He had no reply for his Commander, just an expression of regret that was easier to convey. This was not easy. He gave a slow exhale, his shoulders sagging as Kiegal gave way to Greaves, who nodded and began to gesture the Knights holding Raban to the cage before a voice interrupted the proceeding.

Raban glanced as Janine spoke up again and asked for them to wait for the next full moon. He frowned, that came with complications of its own. If he was suspected, he would still be confined for those days... and if that was to be in the cage he stood near then he would be in a living torture before that could even be a concern. Her heart was in the right place, of that he was aware and appreciated.

Raban knew she was trying to stall this event somehow and his heart went out to her. He knew how she might be feeling, the revulsion of his decision to go through with this wasn't something he had liked putting on her but this had to be done. He could only hope she would eventually understand.

"Doubtful," Chestnut sang in her head irritably.

Raban winced as Janine interrupted Sir Kiegal. It was a risky decision to do but he supposed Janine felt she had a need to on his account. His eyes closed as she pushed Kiegal further, and he knew if she carried on further, his patience was going to be stretched thin. Perhaps too thin.

He opened his eyes again and glanced towards Kiegeal and then his friend as the man raised his voice. 'Don't push it too far, janine... please...' he inwardly sighed, hoping that she wouldn't push the Commander's patience too far out of hand.

He watched as she rose and headed for the doorway and he couldn't blame her for wanting to leave after being dressed down. She had tried, and he appreciated her meaning.

Raban winced as Greaves spoke and the words spoken. They were effective; if she left it would be viewed as cowardice. Something that was not in Janine's character. He knew her to be a lot of things, but a coward was not among the list.

-----

Greaves nodded with a slight smirk knowing how effective his choice of words would be. Once she was at back in her place, he turned back to the Knights holding the suspected individual at the heart of his investigation.

"If you will," he nodded before he moved, opening the door to the cage. The Knights both hesitated and looked to Kiegal since the man was their superior, not the Bounty Hunter. Kiegal nodded his ascent and only after that did the pair gently move Raban to the cage entrance.

He gave no resistance. Even if he did, it was admission of guilt regardless... After all, if he wasn't one, what would he have had to fear from going inside.

"Course, Wolfsbane is poisonous regardless."
"Yes... but a human won't turn,"
Raban reminded Chestnut as he entered, wincing at the discomfort he was feeling from the proximity. He was already feeling slowed down and the onset of the lethargy that silver caused him. He turned as he heard the lock click into place, sealing him in.

Greaves smiled cruelly at him before he turned to face the rest of the Knights gathered in the hall, the smile fading before he held up a vial. "You will remember this, I trust?"

"In this vial is a mixture of wolfsbane and silver. You might already note his discomfort but this will show that it's not just from being locked up."

Raban wished the man would quit playing this out further than he needed. He'd rather know his fate and be done with it. This cage was akin to the torture the chair had provided but with little chance of freedom once he transformed.

"You could just change. Rob him of the glory. Not like you're not going to get out of changing at this point. Show that you have the control, Little Wolf."

Raban toyed with the idea, grimacing as the silver grew stronger in its effect. He would be in no less discomfort in his lycan form but it would mean he would necessarily face the wolfsbane mixture. He wasn't fond of the feeling...

He sighed and shrugged out of his chainmail, the heavy metal clunking heavily on the floor of the cage once he managed it. It spoke of how personalised the armour was by comparison with everybody else's. He always had it so it was easier to get out of before a turn or to put on again after. Mostly as a time saver.

Back