Inmortality

I would take it.

I would do this so that I would be able to experience everything. So that I can go everywhere. So that I can see everything. Also, It would guarantee that I'm around for when we figure out how to travel through space in style.

So what if everyone I love and care about dies. I'll just make new friends, new lovers, new families.

I think that it could be the opposite. After all, we will still be human, and while life is not stagnant, human nature might be. If immortality itself is not enough to change our nature then we could be confined in our linear human state for an eternity, unless immortality brings in other factors into the equation in ways that we cannot possibly imagine.
The very fact that people can change, learn, gain experience, wisdom, education, and intellect, generally tends to disprove the argument of human nature being stagnant. We are fundamentally capable of defying or controlling our nature on a regular basis, negating dozens of impulses daily that would cause an inappropriate or destructive behaviour.

In addition, humans are prone to growing in more than the mental sense of the word, they tend to change themselves physically. At the moment we're limited in this capacity--tattoos, piercings, so on--but no one particular thing exists devoid of all others. All things in the universe work in concert with one another, interacting in ways both positive and negative to our existence. As technology advances, our ability to modify ourselves with both genetic engineering and machinery will progress as well. Eventually, with the vast sum total of experience we have, and our own chosen changes for our bodies and our minds, the concept of "human" will seem antiquated. Beyond that lies the doorway to technological advancement at a pace so blisteringly fast that reality would be ever changing, until we would become something... So utterly devoid from our starting point that it is impossible to truly understand without some oversimplified metaphor. Like God.

The very fact that people can change, learn, gain experience, wisdom, education, and intellect, generally tends to disprove the argument of human nature being stagnant. We are fundamentally capable of defying or controlling our nature on a regular basis, negating dozens of impulses daily that would cause an inappropriate or destructive behaviour.

Read Ovid's Ars Armatoria. It is a perfect example of how human nature has stayed the same for over 2000 thousand years. Overall human nature is stagnant.

However, individual humans can deny this stagnation of the race. While if we were rabbits, these outliers would die. But we are not rabbits, and thus these outliers are able to flourish. So an individual's nature can change, but Human nature will never change.

Read Ovid's Ars Armatoria. It is a perfect example of how human nature has stayed the same for over 2000 thousand years. Overall human nature is stagnant.

However, individual humans can deny this stagnation of the race. While if we were rabbits, these outliers would die. But we are not rabbits, and thus these outliers are able to flourish. So an individual's nature can change, but Human nature will never change.
Ahh, nature versus nurture, my old friend...

Mmm... I'll consider the book recommendation. However...

If human nature truly never changed, and the majority of the population was guided by it to the exclusion of individuality, our cultures should thusly reflect such a thing. It, too, should never change. Yet the opposite is true, our cultures throughout history and time have changed significantly. From the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, to the rise and fall of Fascist Germany, to the flourishing of Democracy, the thriving charity communities, and so on, humanity is ever changing.

If human nature never changed, communism should have never failed, because then the majority of people could be easily predicted and dealt with. Yet it did.

Even within our own lifetimes, attitudes towards topics such as Marijuana Use and LGBT rights and Terrorism and Fashion and Technology are ever in a state of flux. What makes us different from most other animals is the fact that we are sufficiently intelligent to not only be self aware of our behaviours, but to be able to manipulate them, or control them. Some of our oldest social creeds (eg: chivalry, stoicism) are based entirely on a code of ethics built to curtail some of our most excess behaviours. When a person falls to their more base nature in a manner that is detrimental, we may even consider them mentally damaged, or weak.

A human is first and foremost, an individual, with a consciousness. Human nature guides how we develop and learn, but it works in tandem with the environment. (Nature vs Nurture.) We have biological impulses that shape certain behaviours and mannerisms (eg: testosterone, adrenaline, serotonin, dopamine, GABA, et cetera) but they don't work alone. A person who feels extreme fear from the Amygdala's fight or flight response can still be taught to ignore it, or control it. A soldier can be taught to break their sense of empathy for another human being in order to be able to effectively shoot and kill their targets. Conversely, a therapist can be taught to control their own sense of fear, sorrow, anger, and impatience in order to be able to effectively deal with more troubled cases that may walk into their care.

This is why, with the scientific revolution, and the introduction of public education to uplift the common populace, the shape of our societies has radically changed. Where once we would have killed imperfect children with birth defects ala Sparta, we now show them compassion. Where we once spat on the poor, we offer shelters. Where we once left the sick to die, we have healthcare, and in most of the first world, it's an assumed human right. Hell, we have human rights where none used to exist prior.

Individual humans can still fall into categories, and we do have a tribalistic mentality. When we find something that is attractive to our sensibilities we latch onto it and make it part of our personal identity--that much I doubt will ever change so long as we have biological impulses of any kind. However, beyond that, I do not make a certain commentary on human nature, beyond perhaps that we are woefully short sighted. Because every attempt at it thus far by peers far more intelligent than myself has always proven insufficient, and every year, has thousands of examples of exceptions.

Else. Life, after all, is not stagnant.
That is true but i am talking about humans, an immortal human, not an elevated life form, not some sort of god. I wonder what would become of an immortal human over the millennia? if one of the first homo sapiens was immortal and was say around 100,00-200,00 years old would it have evolved to just be like the rest of us and no different? lets assume the immortal human has a perfect body and once it reaches it's peak potential it stays there for the remainder of its existence, it's body would evolve depending on the circumstances it is exposed to, but i am curious on exactly how it would evolve, mentally also, how would a human that has been around for 200,000 years think. I would want to be immortal to get the answer first hand.

That is true but i am talking about humans, an immortal human, not an elevated life form, not some sort of god. I wonder what would become of an immortal human over the millennia? if one of the first homo sapiens was immortal and was say around 100,00-200,00 years old would it have evolved to just be like the rest of us and no different? lets assume the immortal human has a perfect body and once it reaches it's peak potential it stays there for the remainder of its existence, it's body would evolve depending on the circumstances it is exposed to, but i am curious on exactly how it would evolve, mentally also, how would a human that has been around for 200,000 years think. I would want to be immortal to get the answer first hand.
It would effectively be a god with limited senses... In that, ironically, a fallible god.

To put it another way, the average human lifespan prior to the invention of modern medicine was around 40 years of age. (Even that is being optimistic, but, hey, let's be optimistic.) Even if a human used the lowest end of that spectrum (100,000 years) in the most inefficient way possible, assuming it didn't kill itself, it would effectively have 2,458 human lifetimes worth of experience. (1800's onward assuming average lifespan of 70 years, again being super optimistic.)

To put it metaphorically, you would be a single book. That person would literally be the entire library. The sheer, stunningly vast knowledge they would have would eclipse beyond all of our greatest scientists put together times a thousand. What such a person would even think about in daily life is so incredibly far as to be alien, even if his form was still that of a human being. Think about how much a person learns in a lifetime, and just imagine how much a person could get done if they could live over 2,000 human lifetimes, and only have to go through the pain of naivety and adolescence for one of those lifetimes.

If knowledge is power, the immortal man is a god. And it's fair to say that our approximations of what a god would think of are painfully oversimplified to the degree of being childish. Like "a four year old trying to come to terms with the vast infinity of the universe" type of childish.

I still disagree, both on the claim that human nature is not stagnant and on the examples you gave to dispute this claim. For example, a soldier cannot be taught to break empathy - the vast majority of the violent regimes, such as Nazi Germany, Iran, and Al Qaeda, indoctrinates their members by abusing human capability to feel empathy rather than breaking it altogether. They cannot change the fundamental nature of humans. I don't think that the fact that we have seen so many changes can be reliably used as an evidence that human nature is not stagnant either, since there are so many other factors that are in play. However, I do agree that individuals can rise above their own nature.

Now, going back to the idea of immortality... I do believe that people change over time, but I think this is because their lives are finite. As people grow older, they tend to change less, and it wouldn't be unrealistic to imagine that a human being that lives forever to eventually become a "fixed point". While humans can learn new tricks even in an old age, they won't accept any more new ideals and believe it wholeheartedly... and if a mortal human being who have only lived around 100 years can become so rigid over such a short period of time, can we be certain that an immortal human would be able to change at all in a drastic way, even with all the time in the universe?

Hmm...

Alright. I'll bite one more time, and leave the last word to you (unless you would like to proceed further than that). I'm enticed enough by the topic to engage in a more intricate and complex discussion.

I still disagree, both on the claim that human nature is not stagnant and on the examples you gave to dispute this claim. For example, a soldier cannot be taught to break empathy
Yes they can. A human can be taught to break their natural compulsion. Most people find killing their own species repulsive or repugnant, but given the right circumstances or the right training and they can break that compulsion.

If you can be taught to overcome one of mankind's strongest impulses, then it is not immutable. It can be changed. That is the point of the example. Soldiers don't stop feeling empathy, they simply learn how to overcome it as a necessity of their job.
the vast majority of the violent regimes, such as Nazi Germany, Iran, and Al Qaeda, indoctrinates their members by abusing human capability to feel empathy rather than breaking it altogether.
#1: Nazi Germany already had a military force prior to the rise of the regime, which formed the backbone of its army after it decided to ramp up its military industrial complex in the post-construction period.

#2: Iran is an odd example to use here. Its military structure is really no different from most of the world save perhaps in funding and application of discipline.

#3: Al Qaeda is not an organized military and does not use organized training for its soldiers, thus why I didn't use it as an example of a military state achieving a change in human behaviour. That being said, yes--indoctrination is a fine example of modifying human nature to reflect more what you wish it to be. Indoctrination also doesn't have to be achieved through merciless abuse and trauma, it can be achieved through far more sanguine means. Just ask Jim Jones.
They cannot change the fundamental nature of humans. I don't think that the fact that we have seen so many changes can be reliably used as an evidence that human nature is not stagnant either, since there are so many other factors that are in play.
Exactly. There are many other factors in play that are changing how a person behaves and reacts. Other factors that are more powerful than whatever conceivable default nature we possess. The individual is more powerful than their nature, unless they are damaged. Ergo, why we are capable of such rapid changes where other species remain the same generation after generation.
However, I do agree that individuals can rise above their own nature.
If one individual can rise above their nature, so can any other. "Human Nature" is genetic, and if it's possible for one, as a rule, it's possible for all. I will however grant you that the likelihood of someone rising above their nature is dependent on their environmental stimuli and their educational background. Ergo why our development as a species was so painfully slow during the dark ages, yet it's so incredibly fast now.
Now, going back to the idea of immortality... I do believe that people change over time, but I think this is because their lives are finite. As people grow older, they tend to change less, and it wouldn't be unrealistic to imagine that a human being that lives forever to eventually become a "fixed point". While humans can learn new tricks even in an old age, they won't accept any more new ideals and believe it wholeheartedly... and if a mortal human being who have only lived around 100 years can become so rigid over such a short period of time, can we be certain that an immortal human would be able to change at all in a drastic way, even with all the time in the universe?
I'd actually argue the opposite, though this is less based in science and more based in philosophy, so...
giphy.gif

END: FACT.
START: OPINION.

I'd actually argue the opposite position. The reason most people become so grounded in their positions as they grow older is because they wish to feel more and more secure about their perceptions of reality as it slips away from them. The more time they invest in a belief, the more valuable that time becomes--because if you spend six months being wrong about something, that's hard to swallow, but okay. If you spend sixty years wrong about something, that's your entire life down the toilet. All of your accomplishments will be for naught. Whereas if you don't have the specter of death looming over you, you're more accepting of failure, or mistakes, or wasted time. You aren't panicking about the end coming to you, so you take less shortcuts, you enjoy life a little more.

There's a reason why youth tend to be greater risk takers than the elderly, and it doesn't just have to do with experience. It has to do with the fact that youth are more likely to survive, and if they make a mistake, they have an easier time starting over.

Every religion we've invented in this world exists to give us a solemn desire and belief that we can do something to extend our lives beyond their natural end. Whether you believe in reincarnation, or an afterlife, or the eternal soul, or so on.

Whether or not immortality is appropriate or desirable is irrelevant to the fact that we will seek it. Because the three pillars of our biological desires include survival chief among them. When we have achieved it in such a way that it is no longer a real concern, we will begin to flourish. When man discovered fire, and the wheel, and began to create agrarian societies, civilizations began to sprout, and ideas to be thought of and spread. Ironically, you can actually correlate the development of our species to the level of education and to how long we live. The longer we live as a species, correlates to the speed at which we develop as a species. Because the longer you have to live, and the more secure you are where you live, the more likely you are to feel brazen enough to try (or even simply entertain) an idea that is foreign, or alien.

For me this is the equivalent of asking "I'll give you this advanced piece of technology that won't exist until a few hundreds years, do you want it?".

Cause humanity will eventually unlock the secrets of Immortality, just like we unlocked the secrets of flight, space travel, curing diseases, creating mechanical minds, metal horses that move at over 100 miles an hour etc. And once we reach that point, everyone will be immortal, so all the arguments saying stuff like "It will be a sad existence because everyone else will die" doesn't really hold any weight. Besides, by becoming Immortal you can get a hands on example of it working, study it, and hopefully spread it to the public so that your friends and family can also become immortal.

And say for someone reason you decide you don't like life cause of reasons? Well, you still have the option of killing yourself if you feel that strongly about it down the line.

And I highly doubt Immortality would be a trap in that you're still forever aging, you just don't die. Cause when you age your body degrades, and once it's degraded to a certain point it stops functioning, killing you. So... Immortality can't really happen without it halting the aging process, otherwise it's not immortality.

As for if human nature would change or not? Which seems to be the main point of conflict here... You really only need to take a basic look at human history to realize just how much people do change. We're sitting here right now thinking of such complex topics, certainly not something our early ancestors did. And then we're taking those concepts and translating those into sounds, and then translating those sounds into physical representations, and then we're putting those physical representations into a metal box of our own invention to send it to someone across the globe. All of these are stuff we as humans learned over time, we grew, we learned, we adapted.

And then we're using it to debate past barbaric beliefs, such as fascism, and condemning it, once again showing that we as people can look back at such things and go "Ya... let's not do that again". Once again showing humans have the ability to grow, learn and adapt.

The only real argument I can see holding much weight against Immortality is that we'll see to evolve while others in our species (up to the point Immortality is discovered for everyone) do. But... Even that has weak standings because for such evolution to even create such a gap you'd have to assume it would take us millions of years to discover it, which is something I highly doubt. Because if we look at the history of our scientific advancements, the amount we have progressed from the 1800's and today is roughly as much as we progressed from about 3,000 BC and the 1800's. And we progressed by roughly the same amount between 3,000 BC and the start of Human Intelligence. So the more advanced we as a species become the less time it takes us to reach our next big advancement. And depending on when you think humanity will reach it's singularity that could be in as soon as 30 years, or longer, but certainly not millions.

Plus, it's safe to assume long before even Immortality is discovered we'll find means of genetic alteration or cybernetic advancement allowing us to not only keep up with natural evolution, but outrun it significantly. Which also would have the side benefit of if not Immortality but life extension, meaning those loved ones can live for even longer, making them that much more likely to also one day benefit from Immortality.

Also note, within even just that 1800 to today window humanity has had massive changes in almost every political topic one can think of, so... people do very much change, to a very fast degree if you take a step back to look at the big picture.

So yea, taking the Immortality would be a no-brainer. There's nothing but benefit involved.

I think I wuld like it, as long as it comes vith halted ageing, too. I'd love to stay young, pretty and strong forever. I'm almost paranoid about ageing in general, and that inevitable time vhen I start to show the years, and eventualy grow old and feeble. Not many things scare me, but that fucking terrifys me. I'l never forget vhen I stayed by my grandmothers side, on her hospital bed. I loved her SO much, she vas such a mentaly strong, proud, determined, willful, courageus woman (all the things my mother vasnt, and all the things I love to think I inherited from my grandmother). And I just watched her there, wither away, skin and bone from the long disease, stil smiling at me and teling me its going to be okay. And that just maked me feel worse, since I known she vas just comforting me. I culd feel the end vas coming. I culdnt stop crying, seeing her like that, and I culdnt hide it no matter how hard I tryed, and I hated my-self for it, because it maked her sad and disapointed in me, to see me cry over her. I culd see it in her eyes. But I just culdnt help it.

So yes, I'd love immortality, as long as it keeps me young forever. If not... I wuld not want to live too long, and die like that, a living carcass eaten away by cancer, vith someone I love the most, crying over me. I know exacly how she felt, seeing me cry. That look of disapointment I'l never forget. She had her pride, she never liked anyone feeling sory for her, especialy not someone she loved, and I dont like it either.

Would I want to live forever?
That is certainly a good question. Well the alternative being that I die, am mortal, which I already am- I think I'd be okay with immortality. It's basically a chance to have infinite lifetimes. Yes, on the cons side of things you'd have to see Friends, family, and loved ones- die. Over and over. But for the pros, imagine the things you could accomplish with no time limit. I think my choice would be obvious. Then again I don't really get attached to people as is, so could just be my bias.

I am not certain myself. To one degree, immortality is cool, but I want to know the stipulations first outside of being immortal. Am I immune to diseases and other ailments? Can I never get sick? On the other hand, I wouldn't like outliving others since I get attached quickly. So, I guess it would be a no.

Back