[Interest Check][Fantasy][Adventure] NOMADIUM

Southpaw

*pulls the wrong lever*
This is an idea I've been cooking up for a long time coming. The premise is as follows:

In the realm of Majrya, a land mostly composed of deserts, plains, and canyons, there exist magical vessels of power left behind by the old gods. These items have numerous effects: They can grant the user the ability to control an element, or perhaps act as an improvement to their armor. This can be anywhere ranging from winged boots of flight, to a sword that is made of fire, to a spell that allows you to control animals. There's only one catch:

This magic kills humans slowly over time.

Think of it like a cancer: magic is too powerful for humans' bodies, so while one may get immense power, they will die young and pretty painfully. Rampant fear and speculation has led the general population to believe that magic is contagious, and segregate and persecute these so-called "mages" out of fear. The mages form guild in their cities, and go on quests to retrieve magical items for royalty, or fight magic threatening the world.

This is a guild-based roleplay, where contracts are posted and heroes journey out to fulfill them. While there will be big baddies that the whole team needs to quest towards at times, many of these contracts require only 3 or 4 individuals. Ideally, this would be a multi-threaded story, since we can have active contracts as well as the Guild HQ, which can be a 24/7 station for relationship, character, and interaction building!

If a few people are interested, I can get an OOC up and running! I welcome all levels of experience, so don't be shy! :)

The concept does indeed intrigue me but I do have some questions.

1.) About these powers can they alter a human in any way? Maybe make them seem like part animal or demonish or something related to that? I only ask because I am figuring that there will be only humans allowed in the roleplay and I dont like to roleplay as a human. So if I could get away with something that make me feel that my character is in someway not fully human I think I would be fine.

2.) Would there be a chance in have multiple guilds? Maybe some that are not an official part of the guild or smaller guilds that are not well known? If it is just 1 guild then that is fine just wanting to know!

3.) How would you go about in the contracts? Would there be some kind of system in play to determine if people fail at the contract or not? I would guess you can't always complete the contracts and I know some people would always want to be a hero or get the last hit in or not even fail.

Also if there is enough people interested you could indeed ask for a multi threaded roleplay like the omniverse one. So that would be interesting to see.

Sure thing!

1. The powers can affect a human's physical appearance, for sure. Obviously there's going to be limits, but if you wanted to be a permanent wereworlf-type or something, I'd be willing to consider it!

2. Each guild is a branch in one city, so each RP'er would be a member of this city's branch. They would probably end up coming into contact with other cities' guilds, though.

3. Obviously there are a lot of aspects to consider, but many of the contracts would be ways to grow relationships and powers through their mini-stories. I would communicate the quest beforehand usually, or determine exactly what the fighters will be doing.

And if all else fails, there's good ol' mental dice rolls :p

Sure thing!

1. The powers can affect a human's physical appearance, for sure. Obviously there's going to be limits, but if you wanted to be a permanent wereworlf-type or something, I'd be willing to consider it!

2. Each guild is a branch in one city, so each RP'er would be a member of this city's branch. They would probably end up coming into contact with other cities' guilds, though.

3. Obviously there are a lot of aspects to consider, but many of the contracts would be ways to grow relationships and powers through their mini-stories. I would communicate the quest beforehand usually, or determine exactly what the fighters will be doing.

And if all else fails, there's good ol' mental dice rolls :p

So for example if a person put on gauntlets that looked like dragon claws or something and when they put it on it altered their appearance to look more like a dragon because of the power? Like maybe dragon horns and a tail and altered eyes?

This does seem very interesting, but I have a few questions.

-Would there be interaction between guilds (and is it usually based off of guild alliances/rivalaries there may have been)?
-Does each magic kill at the same rate or does it vary according to power, amount, type etc?
-Are the guilds just various people or are they based off magic types?
-Is there a constant for all the contracts or could they be anything at all?

So for example if a person put on gauntlets that looked like dragon claws or something and when they put it on it altered their appearance to look more like a dragon because of the power? Like maybe dragon horns and a tail and altered eyes?
That could be a possible side effect, yes :)

-Would there be interaction between guilds (and is it usually based off of guild alliances/rivalaries there may have been)?
-Does each magic kill at the same rate or does it vary according to power, amount, type etc?
-Are the guilds just various people or are they based off magic types?
-Is there a constant for all the contracts or could they be anything at all?
Glad you're interested!

1. There is definitely the possibility, since not all contracts will be within our city's limits. All guilds are allied more or less (as in they are mandated to cooperate if necessary.) That being said, rivalries are likely.
2. It has slight variations on length and severity, but the consistencies between all mages are a life expectancy of ~50, and their deaths are usually very painful. A stronger, more "body-changing" magical ability will be more severe than a person with a magic sword, on average.
3. A Mage is a loose term for every person exposed to magic. The guilds are open to anyone that is willing to use said powers to fight or explore. That being said, there will be a Class section under the application!
4. Anything at all! Usually they involve retrieving artifacts for study or trophies, but can also be charting new territory, dealing with monsters/mercenaries, or acting as diplomats. They'll definitely vary :)

Considering that the mages are segragated due to fear of what they could do, would there be any non-mage overseer's of sort tat make sure mages don't get out of hand?

I think I would like to join then =)! Just please tag me or message me when we have stuff running! I will keep an eye out but sometimes I don't see things.

Considering that the mages are segragated due to fear of what they could do, would there be any non-mage overseer's of sort tat make sure mages don't get out of hand?
They definitely are watched by authorities, although most of the prejudice comes from commoners. However, some guardsmen are not exactly welcoming :p

Sounds great! Thanks for the support, everyone! OOC will be up tonight :)

I'm interested. :) I'm in as well. Although I'm still on vacation (which ends next week) , I'll try to be online as often as I can.

Sounds interesting, I really like the idea of a central hub as well as active 'mission' threads. You can count me too.

Hey! Im interested however there is one thing I'd like to ask. Is there per say an age maximum? From what you've said these mages can come about on purpose or by accident, so could it be possible that a younger child, say 13 or 12, could come nto contact with an item and become a mage?

Hey! Im interested however there is one thing I'd like to ask. Is there per say an age maximum? From what you've said these mages can come about on purpose or by accident, so could it be possible that a younger child, say 13 or 12, could come nto contact with an item and become a mage?
The current suggestions are no children or elderly. However, for children, that usually means pre-teenager, so you should be fine if the character is well-written! :)

Back