Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City

as written by SereniaBloom

Crista had a faint smirk on her lips. "Perhaps I really just needed some distraction. Although this fight is just a little too easy. Come on, you can do better than that."

Crista, an experienced paladin, typically kept a very professional persona about her when not in the company of friends. Even in the company of friends though she had her masks. Having recently suffered a loss of which she had to keep secret from the Order and all those involved in it, she continued to put up a strong front. She waited for her current training partner to make a move before budging.

as written by Ronin

"Hey, if I had my swords, this would be an entirely different fight," he grinned, winking at her. He brandished the wooden longsword with expert grace. "These clunky things are more of a hindrance than an asset. I'll take my signature duel curved sabres any day." He brushed a strand of hair out from his eyes. They were a hue of bright, emerald green. "But still..." He held the wood close to his eyes, making a show of inspecting it... before dashing towards Crista, feinting high towards her shoulder followed by a swift pirouette and an attempted glancing blow towards her side. His speed was phenomenal - almost inhuman.

But then again, Crista was doubtless a formidable warrior. Perhaps she could defend herself from his tricks.

as written by SerinaBloom

When Jonas dashed towards her Crista ran at him, to meet the attack head on. When he attempted to strike her side Crista instead of deflecting the attack, maneuvered out of the way by sliding across the floor and attempting to knock him off his feet.

as written by Ronin

The slide worked, but rather than sprawl aimlessly to the ground, Jonas rolled across the floor and found his footing. He sprang up in his heels, blade blurring through the air, attempting to land a flurry of strikes to Crista's arms and sides. It was a purely offensive technique and left him very exposed to a counter attack.

Taking a few blows at the start, Crista quickly began blocking the barrage of attacks, but kneeling on the ground still left her at a disadvantage .

as written by Ronin

Grinning, Jonas locked swords with her and pressed all his weight down, gravity on his side. He would attempt to pin her to the floor.

"Looks like... I've got you this time..." he grunted, straining against her weapon.

Crista grit her teeth as she pushed against his blade, attempting to find a way out but seeing none. She decided to give one last push, putting all her strength back onto the blades as she stood to push Jonas off of her.

as written by glmstr

Aurelie leaned against a wall near the Monastery entrance and turned over the crumpled note in her hand several times, reading and rereading the message scrawled upon it.

A man and a woman, J and C, will leave the building soon with a task. They should be told that someone will assist them, but not whom. You are to seek them out when they exit, and hand them the enclosed badge to prove your affiliation. Send one of your birds to the usual place with this note when you are finished, reward will be negotiated at that time. Those two should give you the details you require, I refused to inform you earlier to keep confidentiality. Good luck, hunter.

She slipped a hand into one of her more thickly lined pockets and examining the token that came with the contract. It was a small silver shield with the Monastic Order's coat of arms painted on. She grumbled under her breath after a few moments of holding the token, her hands were starting to become weak from holding the silver, even through her thick layered gloves. She quickly stuffed it back where it came from before any real harm could occur. Thankfully, the pocket was lined with various different materials (and some metals) to prevent particularly hazardous contents from harming the wearer.

as written by Ronin

Jonas grunted, fighting against Crista's hold. Her strength was impressive, but gravity was on his side. The paladin pushed harder against her parry, moving forward inch by inch until...

"Sir Virn. Dame Sorrel." A stern, almost monotone voice resonated from the nearby entrance.

Startled, Jonas lost his concentration and failed to center himself against Crista's sword. "Umf!" He tripped and landed beside her in a huff, scrambling quickly to his feet - and helping Crista to hers, if she hadn't already risen.

"Sister Grunxa," Jonas dusted himself off and greeted the elderly cleric at the door, putting two fingers to his lips and bowing - a gesture of respect. Grunxa returned the sign.

"I have an assignment for the both of you," her grey eyes flitted between the both of them, "if you're not otherwise occupied." She looked to Crista.

"Not at all sister." Crista got to her feet with Jonas' help. "What is the assignment you have planned for us?"

as written by Ronin

Grunxa nodded, her blank face betraying nothing. She was one of the most experienced clerics in the Monastery. Aside from teaching proselytes, she frequently handled assignments and dispatched paladins to investigate crimes.

"A trading shipment from one of the villages in Lornaine Forest is two days late to arrive in the city," she explained, "we fear the worst. You two are to armor up, take Destriers and ride out into the forest. See what happened to them."

This wasn't a typical assignment. Paladins weren't sent outside of the walls very often. The interior of Lutetia was hazardous enough, what with werewolf packs running around and vampires hiding in the shadows. The outside, though ... the surrounding forest and countryside ... that was another beast altogether.

"I've arranged for a guide to lead you through the forest," she continued, "you'll meet her outside the Monastery. She's a bit odd, but trustworthy. We've used her before, and she knows the landscape well."

She bowed to them again. "May Elueu protect you both, and may Saint Selene guide your blades." With that, she left.

Jonas looked over at Crista, perking a brow. A thick silence passed between them before he spoke up.

"We're going... outside the walls?"

Crista huffed but her expression remained stoic. "Yup...well lets get going." Crista simply turned to put away the wooden sword and go suit up and arm herself for the journey ahead. Deep down she still felt a bit nervous and so reached inside her pocket, running her thumb over a warm patch of werewolf fur she kept hidden there.

as written by Ronin

Jonas shrugged. "Alright. Let's suit up."

They made their way to the armory and donned the Plate - a modern blend of steel armor, kevlar, and nanofoam bodysuits - virtually impervious to small arms and capable of withstanding tremendous lethal force. Their helmets clicked into place on their neckguards, their eyes obscured by tempered fiberglass visors. Only their mouths were exposed. Into their belts they sheathed their swords, handcuffs, a few potions, and their primary firearms, the Lawkeeper.

Finally, they went to the garage and each took up a Destrier - a massive beast of a motorcycle, nearly as tall as they were.

"Who do you think our contact is?" Jonas asked Crista as they walked their bikes out of the Monastery. "The Order doesn't usually work with outsiders. She must be good." He looked left to right, squinting as he noticed a strange woman dressed in what looked like a plague doctor's outfit...

"Not sure." Crista tapped her thigh plate idly with her nail as they we ready to approach their contact. Spotting them easily she found their dress rather interesting.

as written by glmstr

Aurelie looked up and nodded slightly at them. She started towards them, her steps brisk but silent, a few feathers gently fluttering down to the ground behind her with each step.
"I believe we are supposed to be meeting," the hunter fished the symbol from her pocket and placed it in the hand of the man, as he seemed to be the more experienced of the two.

as written by Ronin

"Ah. Yes. Thank you," the paladin was clearly a bit put-off by their contact's appearance, but he held his tongue. If the Monastic Order trusted her, so would he. He took the shields, inspected it, then put in his belt.

"I am Sir Jonas Virn. This is Dame Crista Sorrel." He nodded to her. "We're being dispatched into Lornaine Forest to investigate the disappearance of a trading shipment that should have reached the city days ago. You are to be our guide." He cocked his head to the side. "I... assume you know the terrain well?"

Crista simply nodded as she was introduced and waited for our contact's answer.

as written by glmstr

"I'm Aurelie," the hunter bowed slightly and shifted her weight to a more casual contrapposto stance, with her hands on her hips.
"I'd say I know the forest pretty well, I've got a few friends that used to live there before they all moved into the city," Aurelie removed a folded piece of paper from a pocket on her chest and unfolded it, showing a map of Lutetia City and some of the surrounding area, pointing to Lorraine Forest.
"So, any idea of where the shipments were last seen?"

as written by Ronin

"The shipping route was along this road," Jonas pointed it out on the map, "I say we follow it until we catch a sign of what happened to this shipment." He shook his head. "I hear the garoux have been acting up lately. Wonder if those damn wolves got to it."

He mounted his destrier and kicked it into the gear, the massive bike roaring into life. "Riding with me?" he shouted over the grumble of the engine at Aurelie.

Crista didn't quiet like Jonas' comment about the wolves but she kept that to herself. She followed after Jonas, hopping on her own destrier, prepared to follow him to where they would be exiting the city.

Back