Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City

as written by glmstr

"Yes please, I still haven't replaced the bike I wrecked a few years ago," Aurelie climbed onto the bike behind Jonas and wrapped her arms around his stomach to keep from falling off.
"Those garoux don't live long after being run over by a motorcycle, but the bike doesn't end up in much better shape, unfortunately. I guess that's what happens when someone tries to pull you off of a moving vehicle."

as written by Ronin

"Heh," Jonas chuckled, "maybe we'll get along after all, Aurelie."

With that, they picked up their feet and road through the city.

Buildings blurred past them, pristine cafes and luxury apartments. This was Saint Lemeux, after all - the richest district in Lutetia. As they kept riding into the outskirts of the city, the neighborhoods became less well-maintained. Dilapidated homes clumped together, run-down stores dotting corners and streetways. Smog rose from the pipelines of far-off factories and sweat shops. There was much poverty in Lutetia.

Before long, they were out of the city, treading their destriers at vicious speeds across the open grasslands. Lornaine Forest was before them, the hedgeline of gnarled trees casting a foreboding shadow on the plains.

Jonas handed Aurelia a walkie. He picked up his own and commed to both of them.

"Keep your weapons at-ready," he yelled into it, "once we get to Lornaine, there's no telling what we'll find." The forest was notorious as a breeding ground for monsters and man-eaters. How human villages survived in its gothic glade was anyone's guess.

as written by SerinaBloom

Crista drew her sword silently, giving her surroundings a quick once over. She wasn't particularly afraid of her surroundings or of the supernatural beings within. She had encountered many friendly werewolves and even vampires, but of course the order didn't know that.

as written by glmstr

Aurelie climbed off of the bike and drew her sword slowly, quickly scanning the nearby area for anything out of the ordinary. With a soft click followed by a dull scrape of metal-on-metal and a sharp klang, her magnetized shortsword split into two smaller hooked blades.
"I have a feeling we're being watched, but that may just be me."

as written by Ronin

Luka sat in bed in a hospital gown, idly flipping through a leather-bound book. His cuts had been dressed and his leg had been set in a cast, but other than that he'd received very little medical treatment. Ever human-oriented, most medical staff in Lutetia didn't have a large amount of expertise in helping supernaturals.

It'd been six hours since he'd been rescued. The glowing clock by his bed stand flashed "9:16". He read by the light of a golden lamp. Many of the other patients had already fallen asleep. Luka couldn't seem to rest.

Crista returned late in the night when most other order members were asleep to check in on the boy she had rescued. She knew well enough the treatment or lack there of that the hospital gave to supernatural beings so she was there to make sure he was properly taken care of. She silently stepped into the boys room and spoke in a hushed tone.

"Hi." She offered a small smile.

as written by Ronin

Luka's eyes flashed up, a bit of the wolf gleaming in his irises as he looked for the sound of the voice. When he saw Crista, however, he relaxed, a warm smile touching his otherwise cold face.

"Oh. It's you." He situated himself so that he was sitting upright against his pillows. "I uh. I don't think I've learned your name..."

That instinctual flash of the eyes brought back fond memories for Crista and she smiled warmly as she stepped closer to the bed.

"Crista. I'm sorry I frightened you Luka. I just came to check on you." She said this, taking a seat on the edge of the boy's bed.

"Do you feel alright?"

as written by Ronin

"Crista..." he repeated the name softly, as if tasting it. When she asked him how he was, he blinked at her, seemingly dumbfounded. When his brain caught up with the words she was saying, he smiled.

"Oh. Yes. I'm fine," he gave a slow nod, as if unsure of the answer himself, "at least, I think. The doctors say that I seem healthy, though they're not really sure what to do with me. They say that I can go home tomorrow." A brief twinge of pain fluttered his eyelids and furrowed his brows at the mention of 'home'. It was gone as soon as it'd come.

"I. Should thank you again," his gaze cast downward, a slight red touching his cheeks, "you saved my life." He swallowed. "I'm. Very thankful."

Crista had caught the twinge of pain when he mentioned home. She understood his pain.

"You're welcome and thank you for helping me fight in the forest...I'm sorry about what happened to your family. They were your family weren't they?..."

as written by Ronin

Luka nodded slowly, his voice distant. It was as if he wasn't completely aware of what he was saying. "My mother. And two of my best friends." He blinked. "It was supposed to be a safe route. We've used it before." Silence. He looked down at his book, pale. Almost unbreathing.

"They'll have to find out now..." he murmured, speaking almost to himself, "...mom was the only one who knew. They'll wonder how I survived. They'll know what I am."

There was no hiding the tinge of fear lurking beneath the tone of his voice.

Crista softly shushed him and placed a hand gently on his shoulder.

"It will be okay. No one is going to find out. I promise...I understand how you feel. I've recently lost the only family I had..."

She still had the sentimental patch of fur in her pocket at all times.

as written by Ronin

Luka's attention snapped up to Crista. His brows came together, his lips parting. A thin, calloused hand came up to Crista's where it rested on his shoulder. For a moment, all his repressed grief was forgotten.

"I'm so sorry," he spoke slowly, softly, "was it ... another paladin?"

Crista smiled in appreciation of his sympathy.

"No, he was quite the opposite actually...he was a werewolf. Like you."

as written by Ronin

"A werewolf..." Luka's eyes widened. A garoux related to a paladin? It was almost unthinkable. "You had a werewolf in your family? Like me?" He suddenly got a bit excited, perhaps spurred by the impossible notion that Crista was, herself, garoux.

"Heh no no, I didn't mean that kind of family. He wasn't related to me by blood. I cared for him a great deal."

as written by Ronin

"Oh," Luka frowned at himself. "Right, that makes sense." Stupid idea. Still, the notion that Crista had been close to a garoux not of her own blood was an incredible revelation in of itself. Paladins were often quite prejudiced against those not completely human.

That sparked a curious question in Luka's mind ... a question he'd grappled with since he was old enough to understand that he wasn't like everyone else.

"...how did you love him?" he asked quietly, "...the pastor at our town. He says garoux are less than human. He says we're tainted by the darkness of Tenebre." The boy shivered all over. "But if someone like you can love a garoux, that must mean that we're not all bad..."

Crista's brow furrowed as he continued the explanation.

"Of course not. John was kind and generous, even more so than most humans I've ever known. He was sweet and friendly. I don't see werewolves as lesser beings. They are equal to humans in my eyes."

as written by Ronin

Luka smiled. "You sound like mom." He shook his head. "She always wants to tell everyone. Keeps saying that if I ever want to come out about it, she'll be right there beside me." He chuckled, rubbing at the back of his neck. "Almost got up out of the pews and smacked Father Oria when he gave that sermon on supernaturals."

He smiled fondly at the memory.

Crista chuckled softly.

"Well you said something about going home tomorrow. What are you going to do?"

Back