New User New here; looking to meet some friends! (AKA an introduction)

KenżaSheep

That's nice. Put it back.
Heyo! Nice to meet everyone for the first time! Admittedly, I've never used a forum for RPing before, so it would be lovely to have someone show me how it works. ( ̄ W  ̄)

Other than that, I'll tell you all a few facts about myself in exchange for a couple of answers to my innumerable questions. Sound fair? Good!

Personal Preferences

• Call me Kitty... I would prefer not to hear anyone say Kenża or Sheep xD

• Personal pet-peeves of mine when RPing are severely poor grammar (but I promise, I'm a good girl and I'm not going to bully anyone about it in any way!) and I dislike LGBTQ+ themes and/or romances (since it falls against my religion, but I don't mind being friends with you guys/gals!) Just because these bother me doesn't mean I'm gonna bring it up; I'm not gonna exclude anyone just because I dislike something petty. ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

• I prefer survival, fantasy, (medieval and otherwise) and (to some extent) sci-fi genres, and I generally shy away from horror/thriller, mystery (which, I'm to be honest, I've only ever seen one RP based around, so that's probably why...) and romance.

• I generally find romance in general so very, very sappy, but when an OTP comes around, I'm not gonna sneer at a little destiny... and I DO have a tendency to resort to fangirling. (Fangirling includes [but is not limited to] random emotional outbursts such as squealing, much art based around said OTP's personality-relationship with each other, (e.g. that love-hate thing so many of us see) and/or the need to listen to music that reminds me of the OTP.)

• Please don't ask how old I am, if you can help it. This is the internet. All you're gonna get is "old enough to know better, too reckless to care."

History

• I've been a diehard RPer for almost... wait... let me check... a tentative five years? My sense of time is a little warped....

• I used to RP heavily on another site, but it went from being free to paid, and I couldn't afford the subscription. For the past year, I've been RPing alone with a singular friend of mine, (every day for almost 8 months) but that's left her a little imaginaion-leaked, and I need to find a new crowd while she recovers.

• I practically live in fiction. To pull my head out for any reason is usually devastating unless it's for almost-late homework or a quick break for the essentials of survival.

RPing Facts About Me

• My persona (Kitty Thompson) is my most-developed and very first OC. She's been with me since the very beginning, and though she's been through a ton of character development as I've improved in RPing, her overall character appearance has stayed relatively the same. (Save maybe a wardrobe change now and again.)

• I have the tendency to type... in GREAT length... when it comes to answers, (I love to make sure I get every possible facet of what I'm explaining in great detail) RP replies, (if I have the time and/or care enough) and generally when I'm thinking really heavily on something and decide to share. Otherwise, my responses might be just as short as "she sneezed."

• At the time of writing, I have a habit of using the words "just," "although," "but," "however," "otherwise," and using "," to split a sentence before "and" or "but" even when there's only one subject. Any grammar nerd will know what I mean, otherwise don't worry yourself too much about it.

• I don't swear, nor do I encourage it, but you may occasionally find me saying things such as "what in SaufHolm," (a fictional realm of my friend's) "by fangs," (a phrase I'd rather not explain) "for Thief's sake," "dangit," "what the flip," (wtheck, if I'm really emotional towards something) or other strange sayings like the above. If that's alright with everyone else, then we're good. If something goes against the rules, be sure to let me know. •w•

• Chaotic Good all the way, y'all! Same with my persona.

• It's been ages since I've written a sign-up sheet -w-; Generally new OCs of mine will pop out of nowhere in the middle of an RP. I tend to spend more time wanting to improve old OCs than make new ones, so I can very well list (most of) my OCs in a couple of paragraphs if not less. Some of them have very in-depth personalities and pasts, and others I'm still trying to improve upon.

General Life Facts

• I love KITTEHS (THE SMOL FLOOFS ARE SO FLOOOOFYYYYYY)

• I'm a college student, so I may (at some point) have to put my homework before my sanity....

• Weird as ever, far stranger than that. I've got that "sheltered life" going for me, so I'm gonna be one odd parsnip for a long while yet.

• I strongly dislike the news/politics in general. I beg you, PLEASE don't start a conversation with "did you hear what was on the news this morning-"

• If I could get paid to RP, I would accept without hesitation. This is my life. I love it.

• I love to ask QUESTIONS. I want to know as much as I can about things, and my favorite curiosity is "why."

• I love coffee, but it gives me jitters if I don't eat something as well. I've been more of a tea drinker recently.

How do I like them? Coffee, I like with cream and sugar.... A lot of sugar. Like, enough sugar to a bit before it starts making the dregs uber sweet. Tea, if it's herbal, I just like sugar. Enough so that I can taste the tea, but not overly sweetened. I prefer black tea, so just a splash of cream and about half as much sugar as I put in my coffee, but a tad more than in my herbal tea.

I pretty much ran out of things to say for now. I do have a "couple" of questions, however.

1. Are there any formatting quirks/glitches I should be aware of when typing? Like, paragraph glitches; certain characters doing something strange to the formatting; etc. Shortcuts/hacks when typing? Things of that nature. It helps me to look more professional without the usual trial-and-error lol

2. Is there any set online timezone, or is it to each his own?

3. Would someone be willing right quick to tell me how to get to various places? E.g. messages, the forum, (and various parts thereof) other places I may-or-may-not know about.

4. Before I jump into any RPing here, would one of you more seasoned RPers be willing to point me towards one of your favorite finished RPs on the forum so that I may read through it? (Try not to point me towards anything too far over PG-13 please! (´꒳`) Thank you!) I love a good adventure, and I'd like to see how RPing works here before I seem a little foolish by jumping in unprepared (especially since I've been talking so much about my prior RPing experience....)

5. Would someone be kind enough to explain forum RPing to me...? I've only really RPed over texting-esk media. Forums are another side of the spectrum lol

6. Does each person come up with his or her own plot, world, etc., or is there a base-set universe for the forum?

7. Also, what are the rules/thoughts on general character creation? Is there a sign-up someplace, or does everyone just jump in as they see fit and describe as they go along?

8 I saw two links; one led to the RP forum, the other to an OOC forum. What's the overall difference in function? I mean, I get it, but would someone explain more in-depth for me? Is there absolutely zero OOC chat in the RP forum area?

Hope I gave y'all something good to think about. Maybe we can be friends? I'd love to become a part of this community. Tell me when you're ready for this stranger to join you, K? :3

~K

Hello and welcome to Storyteller's Circle :)

Going to see if I can work my way through your questions first. It's late though, so bear with me if some of my answers are quick and short. Just let me know if you need any further elaboration on anything specific.

1. Are there any formatting quirks/glitches I should be aware of when typing? Like, paragraph glitches; certain characters doing something strange to the formatting; etc. Shortcuts/hacks when typing? Things of that nature. It helps me to look more professional without the usual trial-and-error lol: Nothing really that I can think of. If there are any, it's not common stuff that's come up or been reported.

2. Is there any set online timezone, or is it to each his own?: Each his/her own. You set your time zone in your settings, and the forum will display time stamps relative to your time-zone.

3. Would someone be willing right quick to tell me how to get to various places? E.g. messages, the forum, (and various parts thereof) other places I may-or-may-not know about.: I'm not entirely sure what you're meaning here. Everything is pretty straight forward and openly visible from most pages. Forums is the forums tab on the left side of the nav bar, messages is the the little mail icon next to your name on the right side of the nav bar. If you mean something else, let me know.

4. Before I jump into any RPing here, would one of you more seasoned RPers be willing to point me towards one of your favorite finished RPs on the forum so that I may read through it? (Try not to point me towards anything too far over PG-13 please! (´꒳`) Thank you!) I love a good adventure, and I'd like to see how RPing works here before I seem a little foolish by jumping in unprepared (especially since I've been talking so much about my prior RPing experience....): Most of my roleplaying on here was through a large open-world roleplay that had no real beginning or end, so nothing much is coming to mind here. But you can browse through the IC play-by-post forum and see some roleplays other people are doing. You can't post there yet, but you can read things.

5. Would someone be kind enough to explain forum RPing to me...? I've only really RPed over texting-esk media. Forums are another side of the spectrum lol: They're pretty similar, just a different medium. Someone creates a roleplay, advertises and finds players, then makes a thread in the IC forums. The players take turns posting their character actions via the thread. It tends to be slower pace than texting/live-chat mediums, but also allows for more time to go more in depth with writing.

6. Does each person come up with his or her own plot, world, etc., or is there a base-set universe for the forum?: Each person creates their own roleplay. Storyteller's Circle just offers a place for people to run them. Of course not every person needs to personally create a roleplay. Some people prefer joining other peoples roleplays, and that's fine also. Need a mix of both types of people for roleplays to fill up.

7. Also, what are the rules/thoughts on general character creation? Is there a sign-up someplace, or does everyone just jump in as they see fit and describe as they go along?: Generally it's a case by case situation. Each person who creates a roleplay may handle things differently. GENERALLY though, people post advertisements for their roleplays in the bulletin board, and people respond there, and then the GM of the roleplay will either set up a thread for people to post their characters into, or have people post them directly into the bulletin board thread, or PM them to the GM.

8 I saw two links; one led to the RP forum, the other to an OOC forum. What's the overall difference in function? I mean, I get it, but would someone explain more in-depth for me? Is there absolutely zero OOC chat in the RP forum area?: IC forum is where you post the threads that people will roleplay in. Typically there's no OOC in them. Again, varies from roleplay to roleplay though. Some people allow small OOC notes included in posts. The OOC forums are where you would store information for your roleplay. Like character write-ups, world information, or just a general OOC discussion thread for the players. Some smaller roleplays don't do any of this though. Actual straight up OOC chatter doesn't belong in the IC forums at all though.

Phew! Okay I think I got them all. I'll toss one question back at you before I head off to bed though. What teas do you favor? I'm a big fan of Earl Grey and English Breakfast teas myself, and Ginseng teas.

Ah! Yes! Those answers do help quite a bit!

3. Yes, those directories were indeed what I was looking for.

4. By saying "finished RP" I know better than to look for one set with an ending. I more meant along the lines of "no longer having replies added to it," or "not active." But yes, thanks for trying. x3 I'll have to wander around a bit.

To answer your question on tea, I'm really not sure. It tends to vary, but oftentimes I seem to favor English no. 1 or a similar drink. So, English Breakfast would do just nicely! Not into spicy teas, and generally I prefer to stay away from herbal teas (excluding, perhaps, mint or a berry-flavor such as raspberry.)

Care for a cup? :3

You're so nice! I honestly didn't expect a reply this quickly, but it really makes me happy that I haven't been ignored. Thank you so much!

Welcome Kitty! I didn't make it fast enough to answer your questions but I'd be happy to chat if you wanted to roleplay :emoji_blush:

Ooh! Sounds lovely! I have about an hour or two before I'm off to bed... supposed to be, at least.

I just joined today. I don't think I can PM people, if I remember reading the forum-acceptance rules (or whatever you'd like to call them.)

Right, i definetly forgot about that so for now we can chat on here! Do you have any ideas for when you are accepted and wanted to start roleplaying

I don't know about being accepted or the whens, but I do hope it'll happen quite soon.
Tbh, I'm more of a joiner than a host-er. I have a bunch of ideas, but I'm absolutely awful as a host x3 Even after my first four years of RPing, I could never get a thought from my head to go very far with everyone else. Maybe I'm just to... controlling when it comes to my own ideas? Idk.

Being controlling is not always a bad thing! If it makes it easier we could come up with a shared idea and I could host, and whenever you felt like something you wanted to happen didn't you could always let me know. I have no problem with that. Currently, the only idea's I've had are fantasy or romance from the old website I used to roleplay on.

Sounds like a mighty fine idea! And, when I say that, I mean when it comes to more than two people. 1x1 and I'm perfectly fine, whatever the reason.

What sorts of ideas were you thinking of? I've got a couple of strange ones, a nonsensical one, and at least one or two that seem a little more normal. They're not super in-depth plots; just some inspiration jots of mine. You can ise them if you like. :3

That first one in particular sounds really interesting, but they're all surprisingly amazing! Where do you find these ideas?

Most of these are older ideas, I write books in my free time. So, the majority of my roleplays come from story ideas. The first one is actually already up as a thread, so if you wanted to check it out please let me know. Other than that I try to start with a basic concept, like for instance. For Loveless: I started with MC names. Then I started getting the family members, I decided she was to be in a foster home and her age, then decided that she should have a daughter. After deciding that she had a daughter the rest fell into place. There's a lot of different ways to plan and roleplay but it always starts with an idea, whenever I get stumped I ask my close friends (more like family to me) for help and they're more than willing.

That's super cool! When I get approved, I'll have to say something on that thread, since I don't think I can at this point. ;•w•

I'd say check out the approval guide, and then look at some of the threads you can access in the meantime

Back