Poll Results (2017-02-26)

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
I've been running a bunch of polls in Writer's Circle, Main Lobby, and one poll in Discussion & Debate to collect data. The objective of which has partially been for curiosity, and partially to try and gauge the general interest in certain subject matter/views of the users on STC.

I've got some results now. Nothing too extraordinary, but nonetheless, some of you may find this interesting. Comment however you like on suggestions for the polls or on how you feel about the poll data.

It should also be noted that, outside of the Discussion & Debate poll, I have been evading polling on more controversial subject matter. If there's some interest in it, or suggestions for topics that contain controversial subject matter, I'll think on expanding into it, carefully.

In addition, if you wish to vote on these polls, do so. More votes lowers the rate of error and increases their representative accuracy.

POLL 1: SEX & SEXUALITY. Poll Here.
Males
1jRwx00.jpg

Females
IK6oghf.jpg

Vote Totals: 28 Males, 24 Females.

Results show an altogether unsurprising tilt of having a greater proportion of LGBT users than in the general population for Males, though heterosexuals are still the majority. Females surprise by having heterosexuals not only fail to garner 50% of the vote, but being a minority themselves.

Future polls concerning this subject matter should separate the genders into their own poll threads and consider non-binary options, as per repeated request.

POLL 2: WHICH STYLE OF CHARACTER CREATION DO YOU USE? Poll Here.
Vkog9RH.jpg

Vote Total: 28.

Results show a slight edge for persistent characters over story specific ones, implying that members of the site like to keep carrying the same character from role play to role play. The Omniverse--a role play where this idea thrives--could be contributing to this number. Regardless, both styles can attract over 50% of the user base with under 5% difference when the "Both" vote is added to either choice (64.3% persistent vs 60.7% story-specific), implying no particular strength to appealing to either, or committing to either.

POLL 3: PREFERRED GROUP SIZE. Poll Here.

This poll has failed to reach its 20 vote target to create a graph or attempt extrapolations on the results. It has 18 votes as of writing this.

POLL 4: WHAT LEVEL OF CONTROL DO YOU PREFER A GM HAVING OVER A ROLE PLAY? Poll Here.

This poll has failed to reach its 20 vote target to create a graph or attempt extrapolations on the results. It has 13 votes as of writing this.

POLL 5: WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING? Poll Here.
McP1XGS.jpg

Vote Total: 32.

Results show that the majority of the user base is involved in the workforce (34.4%), with equal minority slices in University/College & Public Education. There is another small group on the site that juggles both work and education, with post secondary + job persons being more common than public education + job. 18.8% of the poll respondents are unemployed & not attending school--US Unemployment is at 4.8% for comparison & contrast.

The user base of this site is generally logged with responsibilities, that likely sap away from time to write. Ergo, the creation of role plays that demand fast pace (multiple posts per day) may be unfair on the majority of the users--slower paced role plays may thus be preferable.

POLL 6: WOULD YOU ENGAGE IN "ADULT" RP? Poll Here.
HdBzIgP.jpg

Vote Total: 34.

Now this poll is a fascinating little anomaly. The site populace is slightly more comfortable with extreme violence over sexually explicit content. It got the highest number of votes in the shortest amount of time--surpassing all other polls in around two days. There are equally significant minorities (almost 1 in 5 users) that will only do adult content in private, and which will only do it if absolutely required.

The vast majority of the user base will write this content--with many varying reasons supplied as to why. The strongest group approves all adult content, though even that fails to reach 40% of the user base.

I admit that I expected a higher "will not do it" and "will only fade to black or metaphor" vote. Put together, they equal only 14.7%. Interestingly, however, if you include the "only sexual" or "only violence" parts of the poll...

STC Only Violence or not at all: 26.5%.
STC Only Sex or not at all: 17.6%.

Further discussion on the subject in terms of exploring it and sussing out more specific answers may actually be prudent--though I doubt I will be the one to create such things at this time.

There you go, the first compilation of poll results. This is early on, so there isn't much that can be compared or contrasted--yet. I'll need to produce more subject matter which can fairly be compared and contrasted, or more broad data bases. (Ex: User ages, political values, religious values, character design, plot types, post lengths, et cetera.)

Any comments are welcome.

Back