Promises, Secrets, and a Pair of Wings

Anahera found the busy atmosphere exhilarating but sometimes overwhelming. He loved seeing all the humans and how they went about their lives, focused, distracted, happy, sad, calm, stressed--the variety and all so packed together excited and entranced him. He had to drag himself back to his task and prevent himself from looking into the dining room more often. The kitchen was more overwhelming than the dining area, and as fascinating as the food was, the angel preferred people-watching. Well, at first.
Two hours into his time in the kitchen, the kitchen staff's love for their craft caught him more than the variety in the room next door, and his heart and mind turned to the beauty of entrees and spices and dicing not slicing and sauteing and arranging and sampling and the total ART of food creation. The kitchen staff, while at first annoyed with his intrusion and interruptions, quickly took to him as he showed as much appreciation and care for their craft as they did. He took to it naturally, and even the head chef spared him an increasingly-pleased smile whenever he asked her a particularly intelligent question or made a particularity skilled observation. She took time to introduce herself and shake his hand, smiling broadly up into his wide, kind eyes, and they, together, returned to their wonderful tasks.

Even during Anahera's most entranced moments, he always kept his eye and ear peeled for Marianna's trilling voice, her laugh, the flash of her curly ponytail--on it's way to or from a table, and the glimpse of her lovely face, focused and happy. Occasionally he saw her--heard her, but mostly, there was no sign of her presence. Rather, it was the other girl's working who lingered at the window or appeared at the kitchen door. Anahera knew that there was at least one young man working the tables, but he never saw the lad at the table putting in or taking orders. It was always one girl or another. He didn't think that much of it. Maybe that server wasn't actually supposed to come to the window.

He was just setting a set of steaming dishes on a tray under the sous-chef's approving smile when his ears picked up the sound of his flatmate's name at the end of a mostly-heard sentence. He looked up and saw two girls, one's he wasn't too fond of in the first place from the amount of time he had seen them preening in the various mirrors about the restaurant rather than do their jobs or neglecting the female patrons in favor of the male, talking to Marianna. Well... they weren't actually talking. He frowned.

“Yeah, if you wanna hook up with a dude that bad, there are better ways than throwing hot food at him.”

Their cackles set Anahera's blood boiling, and Marianna's locked jaw sent him from kitchen counter to the door. Without a word to anyone in the kitchen or a glance into the dining room, Anahera strode around and caught the elbows of the two girls who had attacked Marianna as they were just about to slip into the dining area again. They turned together, their postures immediately adjusting, and one's fingers rose to rest on her too-plump lips.

"Oh! Hi, Anah--" began one.

He was towering over them. "I would be careful what insults you sling at Marianna. I have never seen that woman be anything other than kind, pure, and intelligent. I wish I could say the same of you two. If you took the time to look anywhere other than the mirrors, you would see for yourself that Marianna does not have the character of a harlot who wantonly seeks attention from men. I think you may be projecting. Furthermore, I would hazard to guess that wasting valuable food and soiling the clothes of a potential customer have never worked in either of your favors for attracting the attention you wanted. Indeed, I would suppose that the opposite effect took place, and seeing that Miss Marianna has more mental acuity than either of you, I would suppose that if she were to aim to gain the favorable attention of a man that she wouldn't do it in a way that would gain her only trouble." He shook his head. "Any man who took after a woman because she ruined his dinner and spoiled his clothes has even less intelligence than you two."

He released their elbows, pushed between them, and went to Marianna's side. She had just returned to behind the partition when Anahera began to speak, so he didn't need to enter the dining floor clade in an apron to find her.
He bent down slightly to quietly ask, "Are you okay?" in her ear.

"Please let me know if I can get you guys anything else!" Chimmed Marianna as she finished up serving a table, turning back to make her way toward the partition. She was looking over her guest check book to look over how many tables she had for the day and overheard some commotion by the kitchen area.

"I would be careful what insults you sling at Marianna. I have never seen that woman be anything other than kind, pure, and intelligent. I wish I could say the same of you two. If you took the time to look anywhere other than the mirrors, you would see for yourself that Marianna does not have the character of a harlot who wantonly seeks attention from men. I think you may be projecting. Furthermore, I would hazard to guess that wasting valuable food and soiling the clothes of a potential customer have never worked in either of your favors for attracting the attention you wanted. Indeed, I would suppose that the opposite effect took place, and seeing that Miss Marianna has more mental acuity than either of you, I would suppose that if she were to aim to gain the favorable attention of a man that she wouldn't do it in a way that would gain her only trouble."

She couldn't help but feel slightly touched, yet flustered at Anahera's kind words and willingness to stand up for her. However, she couldn't help but feel those around her may get the wrong idea of her and Anahera's relationship if they happened to overhear the words he was saying. She forced herself to hold in a slight laugh at the faces of the two girls as they looked as they were trying to become small within Anahera's grasp, looking ever so pale and wanting nothing more then to disappear. Luckily, the incident wasn't loud enough for the patrons to hear, but several other employees couldn't help but steal glances at the situation at hand to watch how it unfolded. The two girls quickly scurried away out of embarrassment once Anahera had let them go, cursing under their breathes. She exchanged glances with the girls, and took note as they did their best to avoid eye contact with Marianna now. Anahera really ripped them a new one. She thought, shaking her head.

"Are you okay?"

MJ nearly felt as though she jumped out of her skin when she felt Anahera' s warm breath on her ear from his words. The sudden question caused the tips of her ears to turn red out of embarrassment. She soon turned her gaze towards Anahera to meet his, suddenly becoming quickly aware of how close he was to her, leaning over to reach her much shorter stature compared to his. Gulp. “I-Im okay, thank you.. Anahera. I really appreciate you doing that, but- you don’t have to do that all the time you know. You might give people the wrong idea. And plus, I’m used to those kinds of remarks.” She began quietly, shaking her head and taking a step back to create a more comfortable distance between the two of them. “They just don’t have anything better to do, and I don’t let it get to me anyway. I’m sorry, I should have probably warned you of that.” She began to nervously play with the end of her ponytail, wrapping one of her loose curls around her finger. “I um.. How are you doing in the kitchen so far, from what I could see you were quite enjoying it.”

When Marianna looked up, Anahera was surprised at her sudden proximity. He hadn't meant to get quite so close to her. Her startled brown eyes blinked up at him, and he noticed two small moles, one just below her slightly-parted lips and the other on her chin, for the first time.

"I really appreciate you doing that, but- you don't have to do that all the time you know. You might give people the wrong idea. And plus, I'm used to those kinds of remarks."

She took a step back and continued her argument as Anahera scowled.

He wasn't about to let the topic slide. "Just because you're used to those comments, it doesn't mean that they should be allowed to continue. You are worthy of the highest respect and kindness, and I won't have you insulted." His voice was getting hard and his eyes cold though his volume never raised above a mutter. "Those that work with you should never mistreat you—just the opposite. Thus far, I haven't seen the treatment of you that you deserve, and I'm not okay with that. I'm not sure why you are. I shouldn't have to be the one to step in in the first place. I admire you for your strength and tolerance, but I don't share your compassion in the face of cruelty. What do you mean by 'might give people the wrong idea'? Why should I care what others think about how I treat you and those you attack you?" His face was the grimest she had seen it yet—his gentle features were tightened, and the truly fearsome nature of his appearance was beginning to show itself.

Anahera was a man of love, but he did have lines, and one of them had been crossed.

Last edited:
His eyes.
Anahera’s hardened expression caused a slight tightness in her chest. Her anxiety maybe? No. It was the realization that Anahera was simply speaking the truth and stating the facts. Why was she allowing herself to be treated so poorly? Why come back to an environment such as this? She sighed.

"Just because you're used to those comments, it doesn't mean that they should be allowed to continue. You are worthy of the highest respect and kindness, and I won't have you insulted."

Anahera was right. “Thank you Anahera… I guess I never thought of it that way. I think I spent so long trying to keep their remarks away and not pay attention to them, it became a habit.” She graced him a smile, hoping to ease his tension. She gently grabbed his hands with her, holding on more to his fingers more than anything. “I promise I’ll do my best to stand up for myself more.”

“What do you mean by 'might give people the wrong idea'?”

MJ cleared her throat as she quickly released Anahera’s hands and began playing with a small piece of her ponytail again- a nervous habit. “I um.. Around here, people don’t see many friendships between males and females. And.. with you standing up for me, and us possibly walking to work together in the future, people may make their own assumptions and such.” She explained as best she could, trying not to get flustered. To be honest, Anahera was the only male she had actually spoken to in a while, hell, she hadn’t had a boyfriend since highschool, even then, it didn’t go anyway or even last.
“I’m sorry, I'm not trying to make this awkward or not make you think standing up for me is a bad idea, I’m just trying to avoid any more unnecessary attention at work..” releasing the strand of hair. “Especially with all the attention you’ve seemed to have gotten today.” she mumbled as she noticed a younger waitress peeking behind the wall, noticing the two speaking before sneaking away after being caught by Marianna’s gaze.

Anahera was bristling more and more. "You mean to tell me that people would be bothered if they found out that I was friends with you? What nonsense! It's no one's business who you and I are and are not friends with." His eyes flicked up, angrily seeking out those who would oppose his friendship with the woman before him. Spying no one at the moment, he continued, "I don't care about attention. I just want you to be safe, whole, and happy wherever you are. What assumptions could anyone make, anyway? Rather than assumptions, they would see before them that you are cared for and worthy of that care. Hum--" Anahera caught himself just in time. His anger was getting the better of him. He had to stop it. "Some people are such terrible human beings."

Last edited:
Worthy of care. hmm.
A light blush appeared on Marianna cheeks. It seemed Anahera was very much an open book, especially when it came to expressing his worries and concerns. It was touching, something MJ hadn't had in her life in while, or at least let in her life since all the past years with her family troubles. "I agree, some people are terrible. However, it is human nature Anahera." She began to explain, gesturing him to follow her as she looked at the time. "Not everyone is going to get along, and sadly enough not everyone will get treated fairly and kindly. That is just how the world is right now.. especially here in that matter." She shook her head, and had a little bit of a flustered look on her face. She was annoyed with how her work day had gone, and feeling bad to have gotten her roommate into all the drama.. AGAIN. She decided it was time to clock out for the day as it was the end of her shift. She showed Anahera where the men's side of the changing area was so he could change back into his street clothes and went to change into her own. She walked out of the building with Anahera and back to the apartment, picking up some lunch from the restaurant to enjoy at home. As they arrived at the apartment, MJ noticed some movers had made it at the same time to drop off her things. "Oh, good! I can actually sleep on a bed tonight." She joked, excited to finally get her room put together.

One by one the movers moved some of her things into the apartment, allowing her to get them placed where she wanted them. It took a bit, but she managed to at least get her bed set up, as well as her dresser situated. Wiping sweat from her forehead, she layed on her bed and staired at a picture of her family she placed on an end table. It showed herself and her sisters as little girls, along side her mother and father. "I wonder how the twins are doing.."

Soon enough she arose from her bed to meet Anahera back in the kitchen. She couldn't help but think of the morning shift when Anahera had stood up for her, not understanding why she was slightly embarrassed for him stepping in and that.. why exactly did he care so much anyway..?

"Anahera, I'm sorry for earlier. I didn't mean to make you upset. I'm just... not used to having someone look out for me you know? I'm used to taking care of myself and just ignoring those rude people all the time. I guess I never considered how much respect I seemed to have been losing for myself. I am sorry." She leaned against the frame of the doorway towards the kitchen and crossed her arms, twisting a strand of hair around her finger like she would usually do out of habit. "Um.. how was your first day at least? Did you learn anything new you've never made before? I remember.. you saying that you weren't from around the area and that, so I thought you would have liked learning the new food we have here."

Once they were home, Marianna disappeared into her task of making her house a home by transforming her room with the things which she called her own. Anahera fought the urge to be jealous as he sat, flopped out on the couch, considering the ceiling and his options. He could keep pushing their coworkers until they treat Marianna better and risk chasing Marianna away and making her job hard or he could lay low and allow those heretics to continue their harassment and allow her to be mocked and shamed and insulted...
He silently shook his head. No. Surely not that. Maybe he should lay off some. He had made his point with the girls, and the word would almost certainly spread. He had heard as much gossip in the kitchen as words related to cooking.

He caught a strange whiff which caused him to frown, and so he kicked himself up from the couch and moved it easily to look behind. The strange mass of rotting furry filth was almost enough to make him vomit.

Anahera put his hair up.

As Marianna aimlessly hummed in her room, Anahera smoothly harmonized with her as he made his way around the living room like a demented maid on drugs--attacking any filth that caught his eyes and scrubbing the walls and floor as he went. The cracks and dings and peeling paper would have to wait. For the time being, the living room would be the cleanest room in the house.

When he finished, it really was. Flushed and triumphant, Anahera went into the too-tight kitchen to get water. Just as he was starting to gulp the water, hand lifted to his heaving chest, he heard Marianna begin to talk, but his body was too committed to gulping water to stop immediately, so he finished and set his glass down with a "Guhh!" before turning and setting his full attention on Marianna.

His mouth twisted in disapproval at those who scorned his friend, but his sour mood was immediately blasted aside by her change of subject, and his beaming, boyish grin and the single bounce on his toes that caused his ponytail--still intact with only a few strands loose to frame his handsome face--showed his glee before he even spoke.

"Um.. how was your first day at least? Did you learn anything new you've never made before? I remember.. you saying that you weren't from around the area and that, so I thought you would have liked learning the new food we have here."

"Oh, I learned everything." Anahera's fingers started fidgeting as he looked around with an almost manic light in his eyes. "If I only had some paper, then I could make an incredible grocery list!" He suddenly turned to look at Marianna, the light still in his eyes, and he bent to her level, gently (he tried anyway) gripping her biceps his his hands which wrapped all the way, leaving his fingertips brushing her ribcage. "Oh, Marianna," he breathed, "I learned the most marvelous things. I want to cook everything that I saw made." Suddenly, his face and head drooped, his lips pouting slightly and his hands subconsciously starting to pull her downward simply from his inhuman strength not being fully checked for a few moments. "I just don't have the ingredients or the supplies I need. If I did..." he sighed wistfully, and his eyes, glazed with innocent desire, met hers again, "If I did, I would make you the best food you have ever eaten." Man and woman blinked in sync, and Anahera abruptly realized that her eyes, flecked with a mysterious gold that defied identifying and framed in luscious dark eyelashes, complimented the natural blush of her lips most attractively.

oh!
Marianna let out a slight gasp of surprise as felt the distance being closed between Anahera and herself. The sudden interaction caused a light blush to appear on her cheeks. She listened to Anahera's adorable frustration of not having enough ingredients in the house and how he wished to cook everything he learned today at work. She feared he may hear the loud beating of heart as she met his innocent gaze. She knew Anahera was an attractive guy, but she never was this close to fully take his features in. "Uh... um.. Anahera.. " She muttered weakly as she tried to avert her eyes as she caught him staring at her as much as she was him. "Can you... let me go?"

Marianna soon steadied herself and tried to give herself a comfortable distance again from Anahera, trying to calm her beating heart. She didn't have time to swooning over a guy she hardly knew. Besides, he may already have someone? oh hush brain. She quickly shook her head and tried to push away the butterflies that were trying to invade her stomach and heart.

Anahera let out a sharp gasp, reality striking. His hands flew off her arms like he had been electrocuted, and he took one too many hasty steps backward.
Step,
step--crunch
The angel jerked and winced as his heel landed on an already-compromised floor tile and punched right through it, turning the pieces to shards.
"Zut." Anahera gave Marianna a sheepish smile, head ducked. "I-I'm sorry, Marianna. I should have been paying more attention."
Although there could have been a question about whether he was referring to the broken tile beneath his foot or his unfortunate proximity and contact, the nervous tapping of his fingers on the countertop behind him and his lack of eye contact, it was pretty clear that the angel was referring to his misstep.

He waited a full two heartbeats before saying in a rush, "Well, now we need to get that tile changed! I was already forming a list in my mind of tasks. We'll need office supplies for that though, and I definitely have a basic grocery list in mind. Shall we go shopping, again?"

As weeks turned into months, Anahera's concern about finding Shayton shrank more and more as he relished in living a (somewhat) human life with Marianna. Each day, she proved to be delightful. Well, almost every day. There were a few days each month when she acted greatly out of character, but she always recovered thankfully, and he was enjoying their lives twining together more and more. Outside of waiting on tables with Marianna and the rest of the team, Anahera spent as much time as possible in the kitchen learning recipes and secrets, and under the generous guidance of the head chef whenever she could spare some time, the angel's skills in the kitchen had become phenomenal. Anahera took to cooking like he was made for it, and the kitchen became his domain for both good and ill. Having come from Heaven and after spending so much unavoidable time living in an apartment that probably shouldn't be on the market, Anahera had become something of a neat freak, and when Marianna didn't sweep up the crumbs from the floor after she had eaten some of his homemade rosemary and sea salt stone-wheat crackers or wipe the counter of the residue after enjoying some of his homemade eclairs with some of his homemade eggnog, his face would flush, and his eyes would glint, and his fists would pop as they clenched, and he would spend several intense moments choosing his words and mastering his volume before he stated his issue with her behavior with mid to nil grace depending on the severity of the offense. Honestly, it was a wonder he could create such amazing food to begin with. Despite all the appliances' best efforts, his food only failed thrice before he seemingly harnessed the catastrophic-qualitied kitchen and made it his own.

Last edited:
Though each of them had particular hobbies and ways they liked spending their free time, as a duo, they jointly loved turning where they were staying into a home. When both Anahera and MJ started getting sick at the idea of cleaning anymore, Anahera came up with the idea of making it a competition. They decided on stages and steps and ways to grade each other and themselves on performance, and they raced to clean an area faster. Whoever won bought the other dinner. It was lighthearted and effective, and both enjoyed themselves immensely.
As it turned out, Anahera was open to any coloring and decor style, so it wasn't hard for them to decorate together. Anahera painted high while Marianna painted low, and MJ helped to introduced the angel to Earth music.
Thus far, Anahera was still best-pleased by Baroque classical music. He attempted to show Marianna, in a moment of endorphin-fueled glee, his famed gavotte in a space that was too small both for the dance and his happiness, and they both ended up sprawled on the floor, holding their sides in laughter,
It was early January before all they wanted to accomplish on their apartment was finished.
It took more than a few weeks for their well-meaning neighbors to believe them that the duo who seemed to be perfect together weren't actually a secret couple, but once they stopped trying to trick Marianna or Anahera into letting the truth of their relationship slip, the strange pair had their neighbors over frequently for dinner and board games. As it would seem, Anahera was an excellent host.

After Anahera realized that his friend enjoyed drawing, he spent an entire afternoon scouring the stores in the city for the very best artists pens and pencils, and he surprised her with them on their two month anniversary as flatmates.

As long as he didn't have an early or late shift at the restaurant, Anahera took a walk through dawn and one into nightfall every day, and he always invited Marianna. When she was able to come, their breaths danced together as misty specters in the strange lighting of the dawn of day and it's nuptials with night as their tongues and minds wandered over the present and future. Marianna seemed a little reserved about sharing her past, but Anahera was the last person on the planet to press considering that anything he told her about his past was at least part lie. Anahera was mostly eager to hear how her brain worked and where it ran and how this human wanted to make a mere one hundred years fit a whole life. Anahera knew some angels pitied humans for their short lifespans, but Anahera found it beautiful. When given infinite time, most things lost value, and life and experiences were full of value when life was short.

Anahera suffered to get himself a smartphone. Whether or not he really used it was another matter, but at least, he did have one. He told both the employee at the store and Marianna when he got home that he had lost his phone and had to start entirely fresh. He worked to figure the thing out while Marianna was at work and chose what he did and did not want to use by trial and error. He left it home unless we expected to receive a call or text, and he told anyone who asked the truth, "Smartphones aren't really my thing. There's too much on it that I don't want or need to use. I'd rather just not carry it around with me unless I have to." The people he talked to were mostly skeptical, but they weren't generally that rude. The YOUTHS around the city were the rude ones when they saw him still using technology which they perceived as outdated and lame. He had overheard a group of teens argue about which "generation" he was part of. The girls seemed to think he was younger than the boys did, but both groups agreed he "acted like a boomer."

Days seem to have really flown by as Marianna experienced life in the city again, especially with an interesting roommate such as Anahera. He was sweet sole who seemed to still be learning new things day by day and getting excited by things that MJ thought would be already a norm. She wondered if maybe he was sheltered as a child to cause such a personality, however.. It was refreshing and gave MJ a slight breathe of fresh air to not have to stick to bland routine. It was true however, although Anahera was good person to live and work with, they both had their bad habits and had issues they had discuss about, especially while they lived with each other. But he meant well and wasn't as "perfect" as she thought it up to be due to his pretty appearance. He had dreams, passions, and wants, and it actually soothed Marianna's heart, although she wouldn't outright admit it herself.
It was nice afternoon and spring was in the air, the perfect time for MJ creative juices to flow with blooming of flowers and bright coloring beinging to reappear. Time to bring back her old hobby she had kept tucked away.
"Hey Anahera, would you want to go with me to the park today? I know we talked about seeing more of the city, I need the fresh air." She offered. She packed up her old sketch book, as well as some assortments of air supplies that Anahera had surprised her with awhile back when discovering her old sketches of her family that she had painted rolled up in one of her boxes from moving in the apartment.

--
Once at the park, Marianna helped Anahera set up a blanket to lay in the grass as well as some snacks they brought with to enjoy as they settled on the ground. People walked along the paths in the park, all enjoying the day and fresh air. Whether it was walking their dogs, or pushing their pushing their babies in strollers Marianna enjoyed the scenery and the faces of the people that pasted. She began to set up her sketchbook and art supplies around herself, gazing around to find the perfect subject to work on her drawing. She glanced over at Anahera who seemed to be enjoying his surrounding as well as enjoying his snacks that he had made for the occasion happily. He's such a dork. She thought, chuckling softly. She began to draw a scenery of the park and without truly meaning to, she began to draw Anahera. She furrowed her brows in deep thought and focus as her perfectionist side began to take over and she tried to sketch the best she could, trying not to miss any detail too small. She hummed as she continued her strokes, nearly finished with the sketch. She paused for a moment to take a look at her work to make sure it matched up to Anahera. When she glanced up at her friend, then back her drawing, that same fluttering feeling in her stomach began to resurface again. She began to take notice of his eyes... his hands.. his lips- She shook her head and tried to push the feeling away, clearing her throat and reminding herself that they were JUST friends. Nothing else. She let out a soft sigh and began to finish adding some color to the sketch.

Last edited:
Anahera found good and bad in the final weeks of winter in the city. Yes, everything was starting to bloom and find life after a cold, steel and concrete winter, but he didn't care for the sudden mud which seemed to almost chase him to attempt to capture his lowering foot. Fortunately, he had only stepped in three mud puddles, but he found himself fighting anxiety for when he might encounter his enemy, the mud puddle. He felt silly at fearing the attack of a nature phenomenon which most humans seemed to not care about, but he could not chase away his distaste for squelching steps and icky footprints. He needed to vacuum the carpet and wash the entranceway rug more often than he cared to, but he wasn't about to accept trails of dirt and mud sullying their freshly-cleaned carpet. He wanted to keep his earthly home as spotless as possible, and nature seemed determined to thwart his valiant efforts.

He heard from Marianna that winter in the country was so much lovelier than winter in the city, and Anahera looked forward to being able to see it in the future. They hadn't been able to this year, though, because they were so busy.
Enjoyable things they could do in the winter were much more limited than there were in both the fall and the spring. They had had leaf battles in the fall, but the snow had been too slushy and dirty to have snowball fights in the winter. In the spring, they could enjoy picnics on the new grass as they were today.

Anahera had searched on the internet which foods were good for a spring picnic, and he had delighted at making the crisp sandwiches, fresh fruit salad, spring potato salad, iced tea, deviled eggs, rosemary focaccia bread, and lemon bars. He knew he had made a lot of food, but if there was simply too much leftovers, he could give them to their neighbors. He loved sharing the food he made.
As he artistically laid out their feast along with the bouquet of fresh flowers he had purchased as a surprise for Marianna, he heard her pencil softly scratching on her notebook. He had particularly suggested they hang out at this park whenever they wanted to enjoy nature after they disccovered it in the fall specifically because he knew it had lovely scenery and humans liked to spend time there. He hadn't told her this, but maybe she could tell. He purposely looked for places around the city to take her where she would hopefully see things that she wanted to sketch. He wanted her to enjoy herself wherever she was. Personally, seeing her enjoy herself was enough for him, but he did appreciate Earth's beauty as well.

As he was just finishing the spread, he heard her clear her throat and let out a gentle sigh, and he looked over at her to see if she was alright. Her face was unusually flushed, but she was intently focused on her sketchbook. Maybe she had accidentally drawn something that she didn't like.
He glanced down at the pad in her hands... and froze, his breath catching. Even upside down, he could tell who the sketch was of.
She had drawn him.
More than that, her hands had created a sketch of him which was so precise and beautiful that she had to have put great effort and care into making sure that she drew him well. As he stared, mouth slightly parted, at himself intimately drawn in graphite and delicate pigment, his heartbeat began to thump in his ears, unusually fast. A strange warmth came over him--one he had felt before when around her, with her. The world around them faded to him as his eyes slowly lifted to Marianna's face again, observing her, taking her in. Curls loose and flowing, framing her face, and lips slightly pulled together as her lovely eyes keenly concentrated on the drawing she had created of him. He released a slow, shuddering breath and quickly forced himself to look away.
Silly, stupid, strange, and unwelcome. She was his friend. His flatmate. He wouldn't--couldn't--care for her in any way more than that. He was her friend. Her flatmate. Nothing more. She was an incredible artist. She put care into all of her art. This meant nothing. He had just been there longer than most people, so she could spend more time drawing him in detail.

He cleared his throat to loosen his tongue and said in an as normal and cheery voice and he could manage, "Lunch is served!"

"Lunch is served!"
Anahera's sudden cheery voice caused Marianna to jump, causing her to break the focus she had on her coloring. "OH! U-um..okay, give me just a sec." She stuttered, the flustered feeling rising up again. She quickly put her supplies away shut her sketchbook and tucked it away in her shoulder bag. Trying to trick her brain to think of something else, than focusing on the sudden change of atmosphere between the duo, she opened her mouth to speak. "Everything looks so good Hera. You've been working really hard." She complimented as she reached for one of the many items of snacks that he had brought. She did her best to make things not so awkward but found it hard to meet Anahera's gaze. Her focus than trailed toward the bouquet of flowers. "Anahera, these are so pretty." Smiling softly as twiddled with one of the petals of a tulip. He was always doing something nice for her, going out of his way to make her smile it seemed. He was a really good guy, any girl would be lucky to have him. She sighed again without meaning to and tried to look at Anahera for any sign of conversion. That's when she noticed a poster behind his head, taped to a tree. An interesting place to put it on. "Oh look! There is ball being hosted in town later tonight! Would you want to go? I haven't been able to really take you anywhere fun lately, especially because of the apartment needing to be fixed." These kind of events aren't really my thing, but.... Anahera has been doing alot for me lately, and maybe he can get more ideas of his cooking. "It'd be fun! And its a costume ball!"

Anahera himself was trying to act normal including normal eye contact. However, when she didn't really look at him, and he wanted to be prepared if she did, he ended up staring at her. This didn't help him not think things he shouldn't think, so when Marianna's eyes drifted behind him, and she left let out her exclamation, Anahera both jerked in surprise and eagerly looked over his shoulder to see where she was pointing. He didn't actually need to get up--his vision being better than any humans--but it was an excuse to put a little distance between them and break the awkward atmosphere, so he smoothly rose to his feet and approached the tree. Indeed there did seem to be a French historical costume ball being held in just over a week in the ballroom of the nicest hotel in Louisetown. It was apparently to welcome spring's coming and, better yet, since the city was named after King Louis the 16th, the ball was also themed after the very years that Anahera had been on Earth last. Anahera the angel and King Louis XVI had been friends--as much as someone who came from nowhere could be friend to the king of France--and it had broken Anahera's heart when he had learned what had happened a mere few years after he had left France to his friend. He hadn't had the heart to look into the French Revolution during any of his free time, and he tried not to think about it.

As Anahera looked at the poster, his vision began to blur, and he was transported back to the last time he had been on Earth. The balls in the king's court had been extravagant and magnificent. His memories filled in clinking glasses and merry laughter and the swishing of skirts, the hum of conversation, the sweet notes from a violin's strings. Delicate perfumes, succulent meals, and shining wood floors. Ornate molding, bejeweled necks, and dancing. Oh, the dancing. A full night of delight and pleasant company and unity of minds and souls as many became one in movement and music.

He let out a blissful sigh and returned to the present. He knew that modern humans couldn't create a ball to rival or even compare to those of his experience, but that didn't matter. He just wanted to dance, and no matter the shallow attempt at grandeur that the society putting on the ball, apparently one that focused on the city's French history, could create, it would be enough.

When he whirled around, he didn't realize that his face was verrry nearly literally glowing in his joy. He preformed a sweeping bow and said, "I would, indeed, be most honored if you would honor me with your presence as my guest at this ball."

Last edited:
"You're such a dork." She laughed softly, covering her mouth with one of her hands to muffle the sound. Had he been to this kind of thing before, she wondered. She continued to enjoy the small picnic that Anahera prepared, complimenting his hard work once again. Any one outside of their conversation would surely think the two were a budding couple, especially now that awkwardness finally drifted away from earlier. She couldn't help but feel at ease again, happy to assume that her previous butterflies were just her imagination, and shock of how well she could still sketch after so long. Yeah.. that was it. Never the less, she was excited to dress up for the ball and experience such an event. She was never much of a party goer, especially with her father being sick. This would be a new experience, and luckily she had someone she was comfort with to enjoy it.

Later, MJ and Anahera packed up their things and headed back to the apartment, making sure to pick up things on the way to prepare for the upcoming event, She was curious to see just what Anahera would wear as well as what and how they would decorate the venue to celebrate the upcoming holiday.

When given the opportunity to dress in the garb of his much-beloved and missed era, Anahera wasn’t going to skimp or let his friend skimp. He spent several days calling and visited all the vintage stores and costume stores both in Louistown and the surrounding cities, seeking out what he knew must be somewhere. To his delight, he found a shop that specifically specialized in rental of quality period costumes. Unfortunately, he and Marianna weren’t able to visit the store together, but he told the owners that Marianna was going to come and what she would need, and the aging couple agreed to personally look for gowns that would fit her needs and to help her pick the dress, and Anahera left the store with a smile on his face and his suit reserved for the day of the ball.

Because of an unavoidable shift of Anahera’s at the restaurant, Marianna had to get the costumes and take them to the Brown Hotel where Anahera would meet her after his shift ended. According to the event page online, rooms were going to be provided if attendees needed to change into or out of or adjust their costumes, and it was exactly what he and Marianna needed.
Anahera’s hands were sloppy (for an angel) during that shift as his preoccupied mind fantasized about the swiftly-approaching night’s event. He had looked at pictures of the ballroom of the Brown Hotel online, and it was absolutely beautiful. He knew it would look even better when decorated to suit the event’s theme.
brownhotel-weddings-insetimage-5d5ecac9d035c-800x420.jpg

59-marcus-lindsey-wedding-louisville-577.jpg

crystal-ballroom-piano-5accb97188e54.jpg

He and Marianna met in the hotel foyer, and they were both so committed to changing into their costumes and entering the party that Anahera didn’t get the chance to properly look at Marianna. He caught only a flash of arranged hair and tinted lips before they were led to the rooms where they would change by event workers, also garbed in period attire.

He emerged from the room before Marianna did, and he was standing in the foyer of the ballroom just inside the doors of the Crystal Ballroom in The Brown Hotel, taking in the environment and dancers—relishing the reminder of the past—when he heard a soft clearing of a throat and quiet, “Hi, Anahera.”

He turned around, a wide smile on his face, but when he saw Marianna, framed by the pillars of the entrance hall to the ballroom, his jaw slipped open, his eyes spread wide, and his knees almost buckled. He tried (and failed) to swallow as his eyes drifted from Marianna’s face down her body, trying (and failing) to find thoughts at the sight of her in a gown… a gown which filled him with memories and sensations and feelings for the woman inside the gown that Anahera didn’t even have the words for. His heartbeat thundered in his ears as warmth, more warmth than he had ever felt at the sight of her, spread from deep within, filled his whole body.

As he looked back up, his eyelids fluttering and chest heaving beneath his ornately embroidered, brown jacket, he tried to find words, his jaw slowly opening and closing. He met her eyes and, holding her gaze, took the several steps necessary to bring her within reach. Adam’s apple bobbing, he finally found his voice.
“You look…” his eyes swept down over her again, “You look incredible,” he breathed.

DT331217.jpg
dddc53e26c2a7399e5cd449475dfe269.jpg

Marianna had never seen Anahera so ecstatic about something that matched his excitement for cooking like this ball did. The days he spent preparing for the event was admirable and MJ did her best to help when possible. The older couple that he had found to get their outfits from were very kind and helpful, especially for Marianna who had no experience in finding something suitable for an event such as this. She could help but contain her smiles and laughter as the woman from the couple would compliment her beauty and how easy if was to find an outfit for Marianna and that her "boyfriend" would be pleased to see you in it... Which she had to politely explain their relationship, only to have it go in one ear and out the other, with the reacurring line of "to be young again"

The day of the ball was a bit stressful as Marianna was nervous to be on different shifts from Anahera and they had to meet up seperately, they didn't get the opportunity to really talk or see each other fully until the actual dance. However, when they did, Marianna couldn't help but feel the butterflies flutter in her stomach again out of nervousness. All of her anxious thoughts began to fill her head, and all the tips her sisters had given her over the phone on how to do her hair and makeup caused her to second guess herself, especially that she was going to do it on her own. No turning back now...
She soon carefully made her way towards the hotel foyer, doing her best to mind her footing in the dress and heels which felt foreign to her. She soon spotted Anahera, who was gazing happily at his surrounds, looking to be reminiscing on past memories. Seeing that he hadn't noticed her walk in just yet, she cleared her throat to get his attention to risk not scaring him with her presence. "Hi, Anahera." she announced softly, trying her best not to turn to her habit of playing with her hair out of nervousness. She met Anahera's gaze, nervous for his reaction, did she look strange?
She felt a sudden heat rise on her cheeks as noticed open-jawed expression, the butterfly feeling becoming stronger now. He looked...
"You look....you look incredible."

"T-Thank you... Anahera." Her blush now spreading to her ears, "You look amazing as well." She could suddenly feel how close they were from one another more clearly and clear her throat once again, trying to regain her composure. His suit fit him perfectly, he looked like he was made for this era flawlessly without even trying. She did her best to calm her rapid beating heart, as she reached his hand. "I guess we should get down there... Would you like to dance, sir Anahera." she teased, doing her best to fit the theme of the party while giving him a soft smile, trying to match his energy for the event. All nervousness and doubts she had in the beginning began to drift away after Anahera's reaction to everything, maybe this wasn't a bad idea afterall.

Anahera offered her his arm, his eyes still trailing over her face. He didn't want to look away from her--not ever--but he had to or he was going to trip over his own feet. He already knew he would trip over his tongue if he tried to speak, and he didn't need that.
He dragged his eyes away from her face as he led Marianna forward, her arm under his, her hand resting on his forearm. As they entered the ballroom properly, the current dance ended, and the couples and groups around the room applauded each other and the string quartet, harpsicord, and wood pipe musicians on a dias in the corner next to the refreshments table. As a harpsicord solo introduced the beginning of the next dance, Anahera led Marianna onto the dance floor and gently guided her around until they were parallel. The dance, a simple waltz, took over the room as Anahera carefully cupped Marianna's waist with his hand and coupled their elevated hands. He pulled her slightly closer and began the simple steps, minding to not invade the space of any of the other dancing couples and also not to notice too closely how well his hand fit on her and how warm her hand was is his. If he lost himself, he would stumble.

Suddenly, he frowned slightly. "Do you..." he bit his lip. "Do you know how to dance? Not all of these dances are going to be modern ones which you may be familiar with. I saw advertised on the event page dancing lessons, but we were always busy during the lesson periods."

Last edited:
Marianna could feel his unfaltering gaze on herself, not being able to help herself but meet his gaze back. He had really gone all the way with his outfit, and she couldn't help but see him in a new light. He wasn't just her male friend and flatmate... he was Anahera, a kind, stubborn, but enjoying man to be around... who made her feel beautiful with out even saying anything. Maybe it was too good to be true, and maybe it was just her brain playing tricks on her but she felt comfort in the warmth from his hands as he lead her to the ballroom. The music was fun and light, different from the modern music you would hear now adays. She followed Anahera's lead as he lead her to the dance floor, doing her best to not step on his feet and letting him take the lead. She was focusing so hard on their dancing that she nearly missed his question. The sound of it, making her slightly embrassed. "I... I do for the most part, I'm just a bit rusty." She stated nervously. "But, I am a quick learner. Especially when I have rather good dance partner. I can keep up." She flirted naturally with out meaning to, carefully readjusting his hand on her waist once again to bring him back closer, hoping to bring back his confidence on their dance. "As long as you hold on to me.. I think I'll be okay." blushing lightly, Marianna tried to meet Anahera's gaze, "I'll follow your lead." She gave him a smiled, and allowed her body to relax to properly follow along with the music more naturally so she wasn't so stiff. She enjoyed the dance as well as the following dances the crowd began doing as different songs began to play. "I can see why you were excited for this Hera... its beautiful... the music, the dresses, the ballroom..." Her eyes lit up as she gazed around her, stopping herself for once again complimenting Anahera. During a pause in one of the dances, the crowd began to close in, a little claustrophobic for a moment, especially for MJ who didn't go to many big events such as this.

Ohhh Anahera could barely hold his steps in the rhythm. His mind went blank every time they were close or his hand returned to her waist or she was looking at him. He had to rely on instinct and memory, and neither let him down. Eventually, he stopped trying to convince himself that things needed to be normal and that nothing had changed.

Who was he kidding. The woman in his arms wasn't just a friend to him. Every moment he was with her was more precious to him than anything else. When they were apart, his heart ached, and there was no going back after tonight.
After tonight...
His mind started to think about what would happen tomorrow and the day after and the day after and pulled himself back. All that existed was tonight. This ball. This dance. This woman. He gave up and let go, and in one crisp step, Anahera shed his modern identity and was set free. His sweeps were full, his turns precise, his guidance tender and skilled. Everything that Anahera tried to be in 2022 America was swept away, and the man who was the jewel of France's court scene was back. It was though not a day had passed since he had danced the nights away at Versailles in The Royal Opera and The Hall of Mirrors under the smiling graces of King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette.
His presence dominated the room, and entirely unbeknownst to the utterly transported Anahera, all eyes in the room followed him and his dancing partner as they outshone everyone else there by leagues.
Anahera's smile was glittering, and his eyes gleamed as he flowed through the room with Marianna. At the few moments when she lost the rhythm or was unsure of the next step when he wasn't holding her, his cocked eyebrow and smirking grin teased her until they rejoined, and he whispered in her ear what was meant to happen for the next time the form was repeated. Most of the time, he forgot she didn't have experience with these dances so excellent was she at learning on the fly and following his lead. Marianna his friend, his flatmate, was replaced with the woman who meant the world to him who he wanted nothing more than to spend forever with. He was unreserved in his movements and intimate positioning. Future be damned. Why should be hold himself back when everything he wanted in every way was here, willing, and enjoying it herself?

There was an interlude for mingling and refreshments, and Anahera led rosy-cheeked Marianna to the table where drinks and delicacies were laid out, almost all perfectly historical. As the other attendees drew together around the table to talk and collect their food, Anahera observed Marianna slightly shrinking back from the growing crowd, pulling closer into him. They had already gathered their food, so he slipped his arm around her waist and leaned down to whisper, "Let's step out to the mezzanine promenade. We won't be crowded there." He led her out of the room, hand around her gently guiding her just as though they were still dancing.

They laid their plates and goblets and sat on a cushioned bench tucked under one of the arches that provided a view to the second floor lobby.
29df1b88fb261c0f986b8a8dbb19aa17.jpg

Brown+bench+arch.JPG
1-Lobby-Horizontal-3_2939cbc23fa54f438a392f360c0f1774.jpg

They were already sitting quite close, but Anahera leaned closer still and murmured, "You're an incredible dancer. I wouldn't have believed that you didn't have experience with Baroque period dances if not for your occasion uncertainly." A flash of teasing smirk and a glittering eye that turned dark as he scanned her seated form before ducking his head and whispering in her ear, "You look divine in that dress."

Last edited:
Back