Riders of Scavenger Island

Ren watched all of them and sighed. The big blonde one was a yelling and summarily got bit just like she had. That old lady had alot of nerve with her pesky dragons and she was half tempted to walk away from them all to find her own way. The crazy one who walked up to the storm dragon on the beach asked a few questions, and she stood by listening. Sometimes it was smarter to listen...and sometimes it was smarter to send a knife through someone. Bottom line is that they were shipwrecked here and she had to do what it took to survive and then see what she could do to get off the pitiful spit of land. This island wasn't nearly far enough away from where she'd come from.

At the mention of climbing, she glanced up the vine covered wall and shook her head. This was as good as any other place to stay to wait out the rain. Turning toward the nearby tree, she bumped into Sloan...Slade...Slode? The big blonde one and jumped back, to avoid getting hit. He was still wearing angry face after all. "Ooh, sorry."

Without another word, she slinked off to the tree and began to climb up the trunk with ease until she was at the longest reaching branch and the highest jutting out toward the vine wall. Nothing wrong with saving the arms on a straight vertical climb. Without hesitation, Ren sprang out and grabbed the vines, wrapping not only her hands around them, but her legs too, before she shimmied up the vines. "C'mon," she called to the blonde Viking below.

Slode raised his arms in a questioning gesture to Ren in a 'What do you expect me to do?' gesture, his rage beginning to abide as he interacted with someone who had yet to piss him off. Though it was obvious that his anger was stll showing, thanks to her reaction earlier (literally leaping away from him. It kinda hurt). "You realise i'm not exactly..." he gestures at all of her above him, before gesturing to his rather hulking arms. "Yeah." However, despite his comment he still turned toward the tree Ren had climbed, not trusting the thinner vines near the base of the old stone wall to not crumble beneath his weight. Spreading his arms wide, he practically hugs the tree with all four limbs and begins to slowly, slowly inch his way up.

Reaching up the moment a thick branch of the tree was within his grasp, the man bodily hauls himself up, grunting in exertion and looks over to where Ren was, noticing just how wide a gape there was between the tree and the wall. "Whaaat?" he exhales in disbelief, apprehensiom running through him as he straightened and steadied himself against the tree. "I don't think I can do this..." He says to the woman, worry clearly etching his face as simulations ran through his head.

Honestly, Freydis had blanked out for most of the story that the old lady had been telling them, but she still caught on to the gist of it. She was feeling rather overwhelmed, and the whole time the group was sitting by the small fire, she had her hands clasped tightly in her lap. The young scholar had nothing to ask about Morga's story, her mind focused on her sweaty, shaking hands as her stomach boiled with excitement, and a bit of confusion. How had Garm befriended the Skrill so quickly? Such a ferocious beast certainly couldn't be tamed with just a bit of meat. It made sense to her that Morga had a close relationship with her Terrors. The old woman had been with them for years. But Garm? She made a mental note to talk to the viking about it later, and also decided to try to find some sort of material to write her findings down. This island would certainly teach her a lot about dragons.

Morga's shuffling snapped her from her thoughts, and Freydis was quick to follow after Ren and the big burly guy that seemed to have a knack for pissing off dragons instead of trying to follow Morga up the wall. That old lady was surprisingly agile for her age.

Her lithe framed allowed her to easily shimmy up after them, though her hands quickly began to ache from the awkwardness of grasping onto the small vines. She scrambled up onto the branch that Slode was standing on, making sure to stay where the branch was the thickest so it wouldn't collapse under their weight.

"Do you need a push?" A bit of a joke, but also not.

Ren shot the blonde Viking a coy smile as she paused in her climbing and pulled a little coin purse from the back of her belt. "You can do it," she chirped, "Especially if you want you money back." With that said, she stuffed the purse back into her belt, winked and kept climbing right up to the top. A some fun never hurt anybody.

“Touch me and I throw you from this tree.” Came the terse and frankly terrified reply from Slode to the girl behind him, not taking his eyes off of the yawning void between him and Ren as his legs trembled ever so slightly. He was a creature of the ground, not... not this. It was just... it was so far and he was so heavy and would the branch even support his weightneartheendandwhatwouldhedoifhefe-

Slode was snapped out of his steadily declining thoughts by the telltale jangle of coins. Looking up towards Ren, he saw a coin purse in her hands. His coin purse. His precious money that he counted every time he slept, and had only survived the ocean because of his care for it and what it represented.

And she had it.

With his hesitation dashed, the man let out a bellow of both fear and annoyance before throwing himself across the void, muscles leaving the branch he and the girl were on swaying as he cleared the gap, grasping the thicker vines in both hands and crashing bodily into the old wall. A tremor ran through the structure, dislodging loose pebbles, as he stabilised and looked up at where Ren was directly above him, focused on the woman as he began to climb like a man possessed

Last edited:
Garm took in the old woman's words and looked to the Skrill who had snuck up on him and was looking him in the eye curiously. "So I bet you understand me," he said, and it gave a slight nod, "Then I guess you are coming with?" Another nod, "Guess I should give you a name then." A hesitant nod, "First male or female?" No he got a blank lokl for that one, "okay, one mod for male, two for female."
The Skrill nodded twice, and he smiled, "Female it is, hmm...... How about Blitz?" He asked, the Skrill thought about it for a moment before nuzzling him in approval.

"Alright, with that taken care of, how about we get up that wall?" He said, he gestured to her back, "May I?"
Blitz lowered herself and allowed him on, after he was on, Blitz spread her wings and launched upwards. The sudden take off made him cling on for dear life, but as Blitz steadied out and hocerho in the air for a second, he loosened his grip, and looked around and took in everything he saw, it was breathtaking.
But he had to get back to the group, so he patted her, "Let's head back down to the top of the wall," he said and Blitz growled slightly in confirmation before descending.

Much to her amusement, the penniless Viking stopped hesitating and made the leap about as gracefully as a three legged yak in pursuit. She kept right on climbing up the rock face, keeping her heels just inches from his fingers as he chased. At one point, he got close enough to brush his hand on her boot, making her laugh and tap his knuckles with her toes, then took off all the faster. By the time Ren reached the top, she was a little breathless and laughing. When he popped up over the edge, she held up the purse. "Want it back?"

Slode’s hands rose over the lip of the cliff like some sort of relentless shadow, his large frame being hauled over the edge and coming to lay on his stomach for a split second, before his eyes once again lay upon Ren and his money.

With a burst of speed that surprised even him, the large man darted forward and wrapped his arm around Ren’s waist, hauling her bodily into the air and holding her parallel to the ground.

“Give me my money.” He commands, holding an arm out at about the woman’s level. Idly he found amusement that he was able to do this, and thanked his exercises. Speaking of, he would need to find a new way to do them.

Ren yelped a little more in surprise than anything else as the big Viking lifted her up. If she was serious about his money, he would never have caught her in the first place. In fact, he would likley be dead. Her red locks dangled over his face as she smirked deviously from above him, held alot by one arm as he demanded his satchel with the other. "Hmm...so you can move fast when you want to and you're stronger than you look," she mused, "Here."

With two dainty fingers Ren dropped the purse gently into his broad palm, having completed her test. He might just survive if he kept his cool. "It's all there," she chuckled.

With the return of his cash, Slode put Ren down somewhat gently, instead of just dropping her. She did, after all, return his cash the moment he managed to get a hand on her, so not all was lost. He would be counting his money though.

Closing his hand around his cash, he only spared a quick glance around for Morga and the moron with the dragon before crouching on the earth and opening his coin purse, carefully counting each one as he compared it to the mental list in his head, muttering to himself about what he would do if he found any of his cash missing.

Ren chuckled as her feet met the ground again with a surpringly gentle touch, and the big guy went to counting his money right away, mumbling under his breath, as if it were the most precious thing in the world. It wouldn't be the most important thing soon though. Being on top of the cliff side left them with a good view of the storm coming in. A warm, damp breeze braced against them and Ren rolled her eyes "It's all there..." If he didn't hurry up he was going to get caught in the weather.

Though lacking any sort of strength, Freydis took the leap a few moments after Slode did. She landed rather unsteadily, but quickly regained balance and brushed by the two vikings. It seemed to be an odd time to be fighting over coins, but she didn't bother to make any comment. The damp wind that whipped Freydis' hair across her face heightened the urgency she felt to follow after Morga. It would certainly be dangerous to be left out in a storm in unknown territory.

She looked in the distance for the old woman, and once her strangely graceful form came into view, she set off following her once again.

Morga bested the Vikings first in the brush and now on the wall as she easily climbed at twice the speed of the vikings combined. The only one that was able to beat her is the Skrill mounted dragon. The old Druid continued to climb up the wall, past the top of the trees and with little trouble reached the top of the wall Over the wall is a sight to behold. Despite what her people has gone through, the druids of the island have made a small living as surrounded by a great wall is a large sized town of what looks to be hundreds of buildings made of leaves and clay and a few thousand Druids below going about their lives. Up here one could see the storm coming from a ways off and above the town are around a dozen dragon riders, keeping watch for Scavenger dragons. The druid takes a deep breathe before sitting down on the wall and waiting for the others.

Ren turned to look over their destination while the blonde Viking counted his most important possession and found herself surprised. For beaten back druids they had a fair amount of land and a nice little village going with dragons no less. It was slightly impressive. But where there was a friendly face and a helping hand, there was always someone wanting something in return. She had a feeling it had alot to do with reclaiming their island and it wasn't a fight she wanted to be involved in. With a sigh, she started to follow Monty Morgan...Melta Maroon...Morga...

After nearly slipping off the wall multiple times, Freydis managed to clamber up onto the wall after the old druid woman. She was out of breath to the point that she swore she, and everyone else, could hear her lungs scream for air. That was horrible. Her fingers ached from trying to wrap around the vines or find a grip in the small notches of the wall, and her palms were littered with small scrapes. This certainly maxed out Freydis' exercise quota for the rest of her life.

Once she had caught her breath, she finally looked up at the sight in front of them, and nearly lost all air again. Dragon riders. She thought that Berk was the only place with dragon riders. The younger scholar peered over at Morga and the other vikings. Once there was time, she intended to ask Morga all about their dragons.

Morga waited for the others to come up and when they were behind her, she stood up and turned to address them. "Here is our home. We carved it out through decades of labor and hardship. The few thousand of us that is left I mean. Two generations and we are still not ready to fight the Scavengers head on, and all the while they grew in numbers and strength. Taking everything the island had to offer and giving nothing back. But enough about us. I believe you are hungry are you not?" She asks and lets out a loud call and one of the dragon riders flew to the Chief Druid, riding on an aged Nadder. The Rider is a handsome young man, probably in his mid 20s, wearing what looks like leather gear and carrying a quiver of arrows on his back.

"I hear you Grandmother. I take that you are done with your patrols?" He asks and immediately takes notice of the vikings accompanying her. "And I see that you have brought guests. ...They are guests are they Grandmother?" He asks and slowly reaches for an arrow. Morga motions for him to lower his weapons.

"They are dinner guests Theoc. Gather up a transportation group and put the boar on the fire." She orders and Theoc takes off. It wasn't long for the group to be taken off the wall and taken to the ground. From there they are taken through the large town on foot with Morga leading the way. The vikings became the talk of the down as children stared at them from a distance and adults keep a close eye on their new visitors with a healthy dose of suspicion. In the center of the town is a large house, Morga's house where they are to stay and eat. Morga sat down at the table, which was basically a stone slab and Theoc brought out a plate of what looks to be pork medallions, seasoned and garnished with forest berries. Each of the guests are given a plate and Morga simply sits and waits for them to finish in an uneasy silence.

Food! Slode had not realised just how hungry waking up from unconsciousness, threatening a dragon, beating other dragons, a trek through the jungle and climbing a large wall had made him. The moment the smell struck his nostrils, the man began tearing into the food. It wasn’t the best, but it was still pretty good, and within almost seconds it had disappeared into the bottomless pit that was his stomach.

Leaning back, the blonde young man peers through hooded eyes towards Morga. He had had an easier time of allowing their dragons to bring them to the village than he suspected she believed he would have, having visited Berk and been shown the miraculous pairing between human and dragon.

If he was honest, seeing the dragons around him, at Berk and even the gecko behind Garm made him a little jealous. He had toyed with the idea of trying to find his own partner but... well, he knew he wasn’t exactly the most agreeable of people. He could be charming in small doses, but at the end of the day he had yet to master the art of keeping others happy.

Shelving the thought of a potential partner, he speaks to Morga. “Why are we here, Morga?” He asks, still not moving from where he has reclined, whilst his eyes analysed his surroundings.

Ren followed feeling like a strange novelty pet that had messed on the rug, given how everyone stared with suspicious eyes. Even the younger man on the back of the brightly colored dragon had made it clear that they weren't altogether welcomed.

She kept a careful watch at the villagers, even while she ate the food. The offering was delicious, particularly since she hadnt eaten in a few days. Removing her gloves, she tucked them into her belt before rubbing at her scared wrists. "I'm going to pay for this later, I know it." Everything had its price, but her stomach was willing to pay it at the current moment. She picked up the meat first and tore into it greedily as villager and dragon alike watched on. Sweet, delicious meat. "Mmmm..."

Eventually, blondie asked his question and reminded her of their situation. Licking her fingers lightly, she glanced to the crone. "You're showing all of this, but that hardly seems like a good idea for the safety of your people, even if we arent your bloody scavengers, unless you plan on using us somehow."

"I can see your have as much optimism as table manners." Morga tells the two. "Theoc, tell them what we plan to do with them." She orders her grandson and the young man steps forward with arms crossed and a stoic expression.

"You are our guests. You may stay here as long a you'd like and you may leave when you wish. The Scavengers will most not likely detect nor bother with a small boat leaving the island. We do not expect you to help us, nor do will we force you. There has been dozens like you, and most have left the island. Others helped us fight, and a few has even joined us. We treat you like we did them. We feed you, we house you and we give you options. We are not monsters. We believe only those who wish to stay should stay. Those who wish to leave, should leave. Those who wish to fight, should fight." He explained to them. "If you stay, then we will continue to feed and house you like our own. If you wish to leave then we shall give you a weeks worth of rations and a small boat for you to leave. If you wish to help us fight, then we shall prepare you with arms, armor and dragons." He added. "What you do is your choice. What happens next, is your own fault." He tells them.

Garm had followed silently with Blitz following close behind, the Skrill still didn't fully trust other and gave a few warning growls at passerbys. When told they could leave and that they'd help them do so, Garm felt happy, but at the same time didn't want to. Who knows how long it'd take for them to reach safety, they couldn't make a brash decision, they needed to think things through.
Garm tore a chunk of pork off and tossed it to Blitz who devoured it happily, he smiled at her, turning to his food he ate a few bites, his mind still processing everything. They could stay and help these people, but at what cost. It's not like he had any family to go home to at this point, and his lively hood had sunk with the ships.
He fed a piece of meat to Dale as well while he thought. Finally deciding to speak up he said, "I can't speak to those that arrived here with me, and I cant say that everything you've proposed doesn't sound nice, but, to make a choice like this immediately would be foolish." He paused for a bite, "I ask personally that we be given time to think about what to do. " He gestured politely to Morga, "That is, if it is alright with you."

Back