She's a Vampire!?

Wolfy Dalfyry

SCREEEEEEEE
As it was a clear day in Edge Town with the sun shining bright, the children of Edge Elementary, specifically the third graders, were playing on the playground. Some were on the swings, others were on the play structure, some were swinging around on the monkey bars, others were on the merry go round, and some were alone. Amy Sorris was one of the ones who were on the merry go round, preferring to be one of the ones that were spun. She laughed as her black hair whipped all around her face due to the speed and she danced around a bit due to her dizziness before hopping back on, holding onto the bar, and she and her friends being spun once again.

Chelsea held the rubbery red kickball close to her chest, her green eyes darting around the playground. All of the other kids were giggling and playing with their friends, but she stood alone next to the chain-link fence. She had tried to ask a few girls in her class if they wanted to play with her, but they just ignored her, so she had retreated to an empty corner, her cheeks reddening with anger.

In one of the dizzy dazes, Amy looked at the fence and noticed Chelsea, straightening after a bit and walking over, "Hi there! I noticed you were lonely and I wanted to ask if you wanna join me and my friends! We're playing on the merry go round." She asked the girl, smiling widely as her blue eyes sparkled with excitement.

“I-I’m not lonely!” said Chelsea indignantly. She dropped the kickball and her fists balled up at her sides, ready to start swinging. Suddenly, her demeanor softened. “...I guess I’ll let you play with me, though,” she mumbled sheepishly. “You said the merry-go-round, right? Let’s go already!” She grabbed Amy’s hand and started trying to drag her over to the merry-go-round.

Amy giggled as she led the way, smiling, "Yay! come on!" She and her friends were quick to include Chelsea, all giddy about a new friend. Recess seemed to go by much quicker now, as soon, one of the teachers who monitored the playground blew the whistle which meant the end of it. When this happened, Amy turned to Chelsea and asked, "I wanna spend next recess with you! What's your name?"

“Really?” Chelsea said brightly. “My name is Chelsea! What’s yours?” A huge smile spread across her face. This girl wanted to play with her again tomorrow? Was she really making a friend? Usually, Chelsea made everyone around her want to go away, and now that she finally had someone who wanted to stick around, she wasn’t going to let them go.

"My name is Amy!" Amy bounced up and down on the balls of her feet, smiling super widely. She had a new friend to be with! Her eyes sparkled with excitement once again, as everyone around them went back inside, "We should get back inside. Bye!" She walked away, the smile plastered on her face for the whole rest of the day.

Chelsea swiped at her eyes, trying to hold back tears. She had known for months that Amy was going to be moving, but it still felt like a punch in the gut when she woke up and remembered what day it was. “I guess... I didn’t realize you were gonna be moving so soon,” she said haltingly. “I’m really gonna miss you.”

"I'm gonna miss you too... But we're gonna see each other again! I just know it!" Amy reassured Chelsea, optimistic as ever, "Even if it takes a super-duper long time, it'll happen!" Despite her cheerfulness, she was crying as well. She'd begged her parents to stay, but they refused for reasons she didn't know.

“You really think so?” Chelsea asked. Without warning, she flung herself at Amy and hugged her as tight as she could, tears streaming down her face. “It’s not like I care or anything... I just don’t want you to forget me,” she managed through her sobs.

"I'm sure of it! And I'll never forget you! I give my sugary chocolate syrup covered ice cream promise!" Amy told Chelsea as she hugged the sad friend back. Most, if not everyone in their grade, knew that Amy's 'sugary chocolate syrup covered ice cream promise' was the most serious and rare promise she could give, as she only had two of them, now three because of the promise to Chelsea, and had never broken them.

She nodded frantically, knowing the truth and certainty behind one of Amy’s special promises. “Okay,” she said. “I promise I won’t forget you either. But you gotta come back.” She let go of Amy and gave her a tearful little smile, the best one she could manage. “Bye,” she said in a whisper.

"Of course I'll come back." Amy didn't want to let go but she had to, returning the tearful smile, "Bye," She gave her farewell with a sniffle. As she said, she knew she would see Chelsea again, but didn't know when. She just knew that she would see her again.

Amy sighed as she climbed into and out of the truck, carrying boxes into the house. This was so much work! She thought back to when she moved, which was now misty, and remembered "Chelsea..." Amy whispered to herself as she carried the last box into the house and set it down, stretching and cracking her joints. It was pretty cloudy, starting to sprinkle as she went to the living room where her parents were already unpacking and decorating. "Oh hey, Amy. We put the boxes of your things into your room."
"Thanks. I'm going to go sit outside for a bit."
"Okay, but don't spend too long outside, it's starting to rain."
"I know, I know..." Amy waved her hand dismissively as she turned around and went back outside, pushing her sunglasses up her nose. "I wonder if Chelsea still lives here..."

Chelsea had her hair pulled up in a ponytail, and was panting from the effort as she threw the tennis ball in the air and served it with a satisfying thunk. She continued to play with the wall as her only opponent, racing back and forth to continue the set until the ball whizzed past her head and she tumbled over into the soft green grass. “Ugh!” she groaned, running her hand over her face in frustration. She needed a break. After grabbing her racket and placing it securely in its case, she decided to go for a jog despite the rain, and she barely made it twenty feet before a familiar sight caused her to stop in her tracks. A dark-haired girl in sunglasses stood outside a house with a moving truck up front, and even though she couldn’t see the girl’s eyes, she’d know her anywhere. “Amy?” Chelsea murmured, then shouted. “Amy! Is that you?” she yelled, even though she already knew the answer. It had been six years, but she hadn’t forgotten Amy’s promise. She had come back!

Amy looked to where she heard the calls, and her eyes widened as she saw the familiar friend and waved, "Chelsea!" She gained a big smile as she immediately walked over to Chelsea, her black combat boots thudding against the pavement as she went. Her question was answered!

“I can’t believe you’re back, Ames! So much has happened since you moved!” Chelsea said excitedly. She rocked back and forth on the wet pavement, an enormous grin plastered across her face. “I mean, obviously stuff happened to you too, but still! I’m so glad you’re here again.” A faint blush made it’s way across her face.

"I'm glad I'm back too. I kept my promise!" Amy joked, adjusting the blood-red scarf she was wearing, "Exactly what happened since then?" She then asked, the sunglasses slipping a bit down her nose and her pushing them back up.

“Well, for one, I’m a jock now,” Chelsea said proudly, flexing her rather respectable biceps. “But I haven’t grown all that much since fifth grade, so I guess some things are always gonna stay the same!” she joked cheerfully. Noticing something, she tilted her head, suddenly curious. “Hey, it’s raining out here! Why do you need sunglasses? Is that a thing from wherever you moved to, or something?”

"That's cool! And yeah, it was a big trend to wear sunglasses no matter what in both the middle school and high school of where I moved to, and it became a habit of mine." Amy answered coolly, giving a thumbs up at the jock thing, "Anything else changed?"

Back