Target

Lea the mom friend

A thief breaks into a rich family's house and decides to protect the child of this family who's the target of many gangs, including the thief's gang, so the thief has to betray his own gang to protect the child

Victoria Lester, the only daughter to an esteemed family of tycoons, spent her life swimming in gold. Whatever she wanted, father would provide. Though her room was full of toys, she valued one over any other. A lavender plush toy depicting a rabbit, who she named Valentia, was almost constantly by her side whether it be at tea parties in her room, at the dinner table, sitting on the desk while she studied, or tucked away by her side when she went to bed every night. The two were inseparable.

Of course, the Lester fortune was coveted by many, and it was no surprise that Victoria's kidnapping was one way to extort the cash out of her parents. In fact that method turned out to be pretty popular among the bandits that roamed the streets at night. None had succeeded but many have definitely tried. It wasn't safe to be outside at night, so little Tori had to follow a curfew.

She was in her room when the thief broke in, but she didn't hear a peep. Failing to get any sleep, she and Valentia went downstairs to go and get herself a glass of warm milk, only to discover a strange person she'd never seen before having entered the foyer. Tori hid behind one of the pillars and spied on the thief, taking care not to make any sudden movements that would give her away. She had to tell father, but it was difficult to get out of there without being caught.

Ethan groaned, he was really tired but he obviously couldn't steal during the day. He continued to look around until he saw a shadow on the floor, next to a pillar. He stared at the shadow for a moment before approaching the pillar

Tori froze when she realized the footsteps were approaching her. Had she been spotted already? This was bad. Way bad. What was she going to do now?

Once Ethan had gotten close to the pillar, Tori decided to make a run for it. She zoomed out from behind the pillar, clad in bunny pyjamas that matched her stuffed toy, and tried to get to her father's room. Outrunning an adult with her little legs was pretty much impossible, but all she could do was try.

Ethan quickly went after her, caught her and put his hand over her mouth. He looked at the girl for a few seconds then his eyes widened "Wait... I know who you are !"

Victoria struggled feebly, clutching onto Valentia even tighter than usual. She screamed desperately hoping her father would hear, but her muffled words didn't quite jolt him from his slumber. She panicked. She wriggled. She even tried slamming her assailant with her stuffed bunny, but nothing even made the guy flinch.

Ethan held her a little tighter "Calm down, I'm not gonna hurt you, okay ?" he looked around and sighed "Okay, I'm gonna let you go, but don't scream or run, okay ?" he waited for her to calm down before he'd let her go

Tori managed to calm down, and even after being released she did not scream, nor did she run. She did however, whack Ethan once again with her stuffed toy.

"That's for having the cheek to touch me, you... you rabble!" She exclaimed, but not loud enough for anyone else in the manor to hear. "What is it then, what do you want from me?"

She clutched Valentia again and held it to her chest, keeping a tight grip on it.

Ethan sighed "Well, I was just here to steal some stuff, but I need to tell you, you're in danger here !" he looked kinda worried. He knew he'd get in trouble but he couldn't leave her alone "Don't ask me how I know this, but a gang's going to attack you tomorrow night, you have to run !"

When a child is asked not to do something, their first reaction is usually to do the exact thing they were told not to. For most children, defiance was etched into their very skulls. Victoria would have done the same, and asked Ethan how he came across that vital information, but she didn't. Uncertain if it was fear or just indifference holding her back, she just took his word at face value.

"Run? Run where?" she inquired, still a little suspicious that this thief was just trying to get rid of her so he could rob the manor. Part of her wanted to just let him do it just to get out of this uncomfortable encounter, but letting him out of her sight was only going to aid his escape. If she could stall long enough for father to wake up, that would fix everything.

"I don't know, but you gotta run far !" he looked at her and sighed "Look, I don't have time to explain, I have to go now !" he started to walk away

"Wait no!" Tori yelled after the thief. He was already getting away, but he did make one thing quite clear. He was absolutely not intent on harming the girl. In fact, it almost seemed like he wanted to protect her.

"I can run but I don't know where I can go that's any safer than here!"

That was a surprise and then some. Tori was pretty sure that this had got to have been the weirdest criminal mind she'd ever seen. It almost sounded like he was asking to kidnap her, but her little brain couldn't figure out where to go from there. The concept of stranger danger wasn't taught in as much a traditional sense as it had to the majority of children, which would explain why she was even conversing with the guy in the first place.

In the event that he was telling the truth about the impending... attack? Heist? Coup? She wasn't entirely sure what to call it, but if it was indeed going to happen then hiding out with Ethan would likely be her safest option.

That was of course if he was telling the truth. Tori held her head in confusion, not knowing whether to believe him or not. His words sounded sincere but there were so many missing pieces to this puzzle, and he was trespassing in the first place.

Ethan looked at her for a few seconds and he saw her confusion "Look, I know this might seem weird, but I'm telling the truth ! I don't want you to get hurt, even if I don't know you, so you need to trust me ! Okay ?"

"What's your name?" Tori asked, now that she realized the man was after her trust. If trusting strangers was too hard, the only option then was to become acquainted, but was it really okay to make friends with an outlaw?

Then again he wasn't doing particularly amazing as a thief since he let himself get distracted by a little girl and her plushie bunny, right in the middle of a robbery. She managed to stall for so long that the conversation was finally beginning to pull her father out of dreamland. Assorted mumbles could be heard coming from the master bedroom. Ethan was running out of time.

"Victo- Hey wait a minute! You said at the beginning you knew who I was!"

Tori's suspicion rose again, but this time she had a pouty face on as if she'd just been the victim of a prank. What she didn't notice, nor take advantage of, was the fact that Ethan was backing off towards the exit. She wasn't really being as deliberate as she could have been with all her stalling, but it seemed to be working. The thief didn't have time to steal much of anything.

The thought of being endangered the following night still hung in the back of Victoria's mind, so she finally gave in and decided to follow Ethan to the door. "Alright, get me out of here! Just promise I can see my family the day after the attack, okaaaay?"

Back