New User The clink of drink glasses and hushed conversation continues unabated as a stranger enters the room.

Spiraliite

It's dark and crowded, and I crane my neck, looking through the crowd for a familiar face. Small candles flicker on white linen tablecloths, dancing table lights flicker through the cut glass, illuminating a necklace here, flashing teeth there. I feel out of my element, but intensely aware this kind of place used to be a second home. I don't see my friend, so I end up at the bar. The bartender, a lanky and goatee'd man with a bottle opener shoved into his back pocket sifts me out as the only person without a drink.

"New here?" he asks, lifting his chin.

"To this place, yes," I reply. "I've been out of the scene for a long time. It was easier when I was younger," I finish, hoping he'll understand. He understands.

"You're American," he states, it's not a question as my accent has marked me. He pulls a glass out from behind the bar, and begins filling it with ice.

"I haven't even told you my drink yet," I bluster, but I can't hide that I'm impressed. Behind me, I can feel people pressing behind me, getting in line, but the bartender doesn't seem to be hurried.

"Of course I know your drink, we're characters in a story," the bartender replies. "I won't even have a name. Consider yourself lucky, you're the focus." I nod. Of course everything he said was true. He hands me the drink and it's exactly the thing my useless hands need. Without something to clutch they were just resting on the bar but quixotically, restless. I move out of the way as his last words remain with me. I'm the focus, and a main character, but every patron here is their own main character. The old fashioned has a sugar cane swizzle stick, just they way a bar I've visited in the past used to do. I scan the room again, but I still don't see the friend who invited me here. I'm sure he'll show up.

Hey, great introduction. Have you checked out the new member approval guide. I think you're already off to a great start. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey, great introduction. Have you checked out the new member approval guide. I think you're already off to a great start. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you very much! This is my first brush with RPing, and I'm pretty new to how interactions work. Do you post a story idea and wait for people to reply? Do you browse RP threads and hit up people directly if you like their style? How else do you find stories?

Hello, Spiralite! Welcome to Storyteller’s Circle! Please read the Account Approval Guide if you want more information on the approval process!

We hope you enjoy it here! If you have any questions feel free to ask me or any other staff member!​

There are several ways to look at starting roleplays. One way is to look into the Bulletin Board area, https://www.storytellerscircle.com/forums/bulletin-board/. This has several areas to look at starting new roleplays, to post ideas and search for members with similar interests. However, you will not be able to participate in forum roleplaying until your account is approved.

Personally, I have my own (un-approved) method of looking for a role play partner. My un-approved method of starting a roleplay usually involves reading a person's writing and determining if I believe they are compatible and I also look to see how often they post in their active roleplays. This is more time intensive. If you're new to roleplaying, I would suggest using the Bulletin Board. That's a great place to start and you'll find out who is interested in the ideas, or genre that you are.

Let me know if you'd like more information, or if any of that was not clear.

There are several ways to look at starting roleplays. One way is to look into the Bulletin Board area, https://www.storytellerscircle.com/forums/bulletin-board/. This has several areas to look at starting new roleplays, to post ideas and search for members with similar interests. However, you will not be able to participate in forum roleplaying until your account is approved.

Personally, I have my own (un-approved) method of looking for a role play partner. My un-approved method of starting a roleplay usually involves reading a person's writing and determining if I believe they are compatible and I also look to see how often they post in their active roleplays. This is more time intensive. If you're new to roleplaying, I would suggest using the Bulletin Board. That's a great place to start and you'll find out who is interested in the ideas, or genre that you are.

Let me know if you'd like more information, or if any of that was not clear.
Thanks! I'm just patiently waiting for approval. Your response is very helpful. How can I tell how often they post in their active roleplay?

Is there a way to indicate on a roleplay if you want to "shelve" it for a little while if you aren't going to actively post on it but intend to return to it later? Is that something the OOC thread of a roleplay is for?

I would message an administrator if you intended to leave a roleplay inactive for a while. As for knowing response time there is a time stamp on the top left hand corner of each post.

Back