Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived The Core Systems: Ostra - Wielden Colony

Titania pressed her hand against Annies forehead and pushed her away from herself so she wouldnt hit Mizumi by accident until the mechanic came. "Sorry about the wall..." She said to the mechanic that pulled her out of the wall with surprising ease. "Really gotta work on my brakes..." She muttered while waking up Mizumi who surprisingly enough slept through all of that and refused to wake up even now.

"Master seems to be too tired." Titania announced before looking back at Hinata. "I dont own it. I was...and still am that ship."

"It's fine, I'll have that fixed in short order. You're okay though right?" Hinata tilted his head, looking Titania up and down. He frowned a little and put his goggles over his eyes again, this time with the shaded lenses up. "Hmm, I see.." He lifted them up again. "So you're a magius engine, that tablet inside you explains that slot I found inside the ship." The effeminate mechanic turned to Mizumi.

"She's havin' a snooze, don't worry 'bout her." Annie told her friend, who then looked at Titania again. "This body you have looks almost like pre-expansion tech, but you're in amazing shape still if that's the case." He realized that would have been better left unsaid, and sighed in defeat. "I'm Hinata, nice to meet you." He removed a glove to reveal a clean hand and held it out for a hand shake.

"Yes im all good. Was built to last after all." Titania said as she shook Hinatas arm. He could feel the arm be heavy...very very heavy for how small it appeared. "And you are correct i am from the pre-expansion era. 1400 years old the ship is roughly 960 years old and has been through several retrofits and upgrades." She explained, not really caring if he did crack her true age that easily and since he already said it she didn't feel as bad now to reveal the actual numbers herself.

“I can see that. You’re heavily built, too. Tungsten carbide I’m guessing, since you wouldn’t be made with modern materials. I’ve fixed your ship though it’s even more retrofitted than before now. Don’t worry about payment, Annie and I already dealt with that.” He said happily. “Wanna see it?” He offered politely, stepping back and gesturing towards the corner where the door of his garage likely lay. He was happy he guessed her age correctly - he actually only read about old tech because of the ship Annie sent to him to fix, so it worked out pretty conveniently.

"I wonder what new gadgets you stuffed into it." Titania said as she moved over to the door that she was being gestured at. for one she was quite damn surprised how he managed to get an nearly 40 meter tall ship into that garage of his. Curious as to what hes done to it she opened the door. She was hoping that he didn't change too much on the inside.

“Oh, I thought it best to only give it relatively essential parts. It’s more or less self sustaining now as long as it has a supply of mana with food and water and I put some air conditioning in but outside of that it’s the same as it was before it was damaged.” Hinata explained. “Aww, Hinata~ you should have given her the whole shibang.” Annie told him, leaning on his shoulder. The young man blushed but didn’t push her away. “Sorry, money’s been kinda tight lately..” He confessed softly.

How Hinata fit it in - firstly it seemed his garage was bigger on the inside than on the outside, and secondly he placed the ship sideways so that the back was facing downwards and the whole thing was supported by a series of chains and hooks. “It looks nice, though~ I fixed the paint up!”

@SnekySnoo
Kyo noticed Stone approaching and waited patiently until he arrived at the gate. At arrival Kyo bowed respectfully and moved as ushered to stride up the stone path. When mentioned, Asmodeus grinned and saluted Stone. "Name's Asmodeus, but ya can call me Mod." His ears twitched twice, and he sniffled before continuing to smoke from his pipe.
"He insisted on coming with me." Kyo explained, while Asmodeus had since closed his eyes and fallen silent.
"Anyway, thank you for inviting me." The young man said happily, offering a faint smile up at Stone.

"No thanks needed. I'm more than happy to allow one such as yourself into my lodgings." Stone responded, patting his vest absently for his cigar tin. "Now, about this expedition...I'd like to know a bit more about it. Whats the goal? And, if said goal isn't attained, what's the fall back?" Stone asked, straight to business. As they approached the fairly sized manor, the scent of singed tissue and weaponry discharge was faintly in the air, masked by the smell of coated meat and seasoned vegetables from within. A sizable migraine began to pound at the inside of Stone's skull as he though about it.

Stone opened the door to the manor, reveling a large main hall with twin staircases leading to the second floor balcony and rooms and smaller halls down either side of the main hall. Under the balcony was a grand set of double left slightly ajar, the sight of an overturned office in the slightest of view. Stone hoped that Kyo wouldn't notice. Even if he did, he had a cover story.

Kyo hummed to himself in response. "I should hope you are referring to my personal achievements, rather than my heritage." Kyo thought less of anyone who considered heraldry more important than individual prowess, as he had personally seen on more than one occasion individuals of strong gene to be absolutely inept at even simple tasks.

He began walking alongside Stone, forming a small branch out of his shoulder which Asmodeus climbed onto to get further away from Kyo's face. "The primary objective of the expedition is to investigate the opening of the portal, by passing through to the other side. Nobody has yet passed through and thus it is considered too dangerous for non-Hyadn to pass through unassisted. The secondary objective is to close or secure the portal. The tertiary objectives are to capture or kill the beasts local to the portal, as they clearly have unique physiology that could make them useful in scientific research. Falling back even from that - at least we'll have experience with fighting them, and if reinforcements are required then it is likely we'll be hand picked by the next faction to attempt to secure the breach." Kyo sighed. Even if he had a minor degree of trust for the man beside him he knew it unwise to share so much - however this may lower Stone's regard for Kyo's intelligence, which was more likely to prove useful than detrimental.

Obviously Kyo was far too observant to not notice the glimpse of the ruined interior of the office, though his gaze was subtle enough that he needn't make mention of it's apparent destruction. However given presumptions, Kyo had more than one guess as to the cause - the top of the list being related to Stone's temper.

"But of course. I believe a man is made not by the cut of his cloth but by the quality of his wear. If you can't forge the life you want with your own two hands, then you don't deserve it. Too many young nobles forget that their families started as peasants too." Stone half lied. While he did stand by the statement, heritage did play a major part in interplanetary affairs.

Stone nodded passively, taking notes mentally. "So, if I am to understand this, your goal is to learn more of what keeps us 'in' and if there's anything once we get 'out' of the confines of our place in the cosmos." he mused aloud, open to correction. Having found his tin, he opened it, pulling from it a large cigar, pre-cut. He patted himself for a lighter but came up short, looking down to his guests. "You wouldn't happen to have a light of some sort, would you?"

Stone started down the west-wing hall, following the scent further and further down. "If I may ask, who else do you plan to bring on this expedition.?" Stone questioned further, curious of the overall dynamic.

"I don't fully agree with you there - in some circumstances a forge still must be lit." Kyo believed that humoring the metaphor would help establish rapport, but he always had the suspicion he was off-key.

"That is only partially correct. The creatures also have a shocking capacity for adaptation, previously seen only in Sli'f. Researching their biology may assist in medicine and polymorphing as well." Kyo added calmly. "Oh yeah, sure." On cue, Asmodeus flicked his lighter out and held out the small flame from his relatively small arms, allowing Stone to light his cigar. Why he didn't have his own source of fire was a mystery though..

"I am bringing the battle-worthy majority of my guild, and I am also recruiting in the locale." Kyo explained calmly. "There will of course be a screening process though, given the circumstances."

"Even so, if you lack the skill to shape a blade, then the lighting of the forge was for naught." Stone countered, a small smirk on his face.

"I see..." was all Stone responded with. Of course, in his head, cogs were turning in place. These creatures...what were they really? And if they could research and understand them more, who's to say that the knowledge found would be used positively? Where would this information go? As these questions arose, a larger, darker question loomed. "...what did they come from...?" Stone muttered the question more to himself, taking a long drag off of his cigar, tipping a small, half hearted nod of appreciation towards Mod.

Stone lapsed from thought, nodding as Kyo spoke. "Don't expect much from the soldiers here. If anything, the Mage Corps or some wandering traveler would be your best bet." he suggested, a hint of disdain towards the Mage Corps. "As for your crew, are they experienced for an expedition like this?"

"Skill is not always needed, everyone has to start from somewhere." Kyo replied softly, his face devoid of an expression that would signify any emotion at all.

"There's the question. They aren't from the Aether, or else they'd be more magically charged. They have to be either from a pocket, or from some distant location not yet known about." Kyo explained calmly.

"I know, but the Mage Corps has mostly turned down my efforts to recruit, though I've already seen more than one promising traveler." The young androgynous man said calmly. "As for my crew, I count at least five Hyadn and ten more who could hold their own in a fight."

Stone gave a small, tired chuckle. “You could be a senator one day...with time, young Kimura, and practice, you could easily become a House Chenselor back on Aer if you so chose.”

With either prospect presented, Stone felt that neither would end well. “This could very well be a one way ticket. Are you sure you’re willing to risk that...?” Stone asked, an air of finality to his words. “And your crew, are they too willing to go on such an expedition?”

Kyo tilted his head and gave Stone an incredulous look. "Only sycophants and idealists want to be senators." Kyo replied brashly.

"Yes, I have already given the speech, had wavers drawn up, etc. Honestly, I'd rather die on my next expedition than sit through another two month cargo haul."

With a quick turn of his head, Stone shot a disapproving glance, disappointment evident. In as quick a manner as he shot the look, his face became as cold and Stoney as before. “Do not be so sure of the state of politics. Since my time as a youth, things have changed. Diplomats care not for their people. You could change that...” Stone stated, his tone paternal and advising.

“Good to hear then...as long as we’re all in accordance. Beyond that, I have no further questions regarding the expedition. Let us focus on lighter topics for the night.” Stone finished as they entered a grand dinging Hall, a long table stretching from one end to the other, a multitude of chairs placed about it. While the furniture itself wasn’t lavished, there was a sense of rustic elegance about the room, lit by low burning candles and illuminating the shapes of hunted heads.

"Who's to say I would care?" Kyo replied, somewhat sharply. Since he could remember few things kept his attention, and this deficit had recently turned to almost complete apathy - much to his own - and to his 2IC's chagrin. He was hoping this expedition, no matter how it went, would be a step towards re-humanizing himself.

"Yes, please." Kyo sighed softly as Asmodeus patted him on the head to help calm him. He notably relaxed further when Kyo realized the scale of the dining hall, and he very much liked the restraint on the part of the interior decorator(s). He freely inspected the room as he continued to follow Stone around, turning as he walked to observe each object within his line of sight.

Stone let Kyo marvel silently as he made his way to the end of the table, taking a seat in a large oak chair. At his back, a large fire roared, casting his shadow down the table. “Take a seat where you’d like. My chef, Twelve, should arrive with our food shortly. In the meantime, tell me more about yourself, young Kimura.” He mused, his voice low and tired. From somewhere above them, a slight rattle could be heard, along with muffled curses. Stone chose to ignore them, the pain in his temples growing stronger.

The young Kimura took one of the seats closest to Stone, so he would be able to speak most easily to the significantly larger man. He turned his chair partially to face Stone as well, resting an arm on the table. "I'd rather not simply share too much of myself, but I suppose relevant information would be that I've been the leader of the Cosmic Rays for about half a decade, and in that time I've realized how little I wish to be responsible for others - and as time goes on I've found it more and more difficult to not return to my family." He explained calmly, combing his hand through his hair to push it out of his face. "In any case, this expedition will be my last as a leader."

Cass' looked from left to right. She was still on the ship and she felt out of place. However, her curious nature got the better of her and she slipped through a small crack in the vessel of the ship. She whispered to herself, "There has to be something here. Something that can tell me how this old ship crashed..." With that, the Sli'f slithered across the floor to find something small. Something that looked like it could be held by a human, the device was flashing but it made no sound. Curiously, Cass' touched it. Suddenly, an electric shock ran through her whole body. The Sli'f cried, "AIEEEEEEEE!!!" and retreated into a darkened corner.

Suddenly, Cass would hear a banging on the wall relatively close by. "Hey, is there someone in here?" A female voice asked, sounding worried. While Cass was inside the ship it had been moved - though the lack of inertia showed it was moved by way of portal. It was now in a scrapyard, and with someone inside it could be quite dangerous, as there were already people starting to cut away salvageable parts of that ship to be used in factories.

Back