The Intoxicating Belligerence of Unification

'Smart allies,' so Simulacrum said. Carefully worded to reflect on the outburst of his seconds before, that is to say, excluding those who rashly stated the obvious.

However, the man did have a fair point. Allies could prove more useful than enemies, even if it was only for show. Besides, Daniel's behavior was being judged by everyone in the room, so it would be better to keep a clean profile. This time, he would drop the issue.

"Daniel." he replied curtly. He felt that the need to mention his surname was unnecessary. People knew the stories, of the family that was cursed. Of the daughter who committed suicide. Of the father who was mysteriously murdered. Of the young man who rose to Commander only to throw it all away after one tragic defeat. The stories of the past were quite unnecessary, and the people who knew him by name were wise enough not to discuss it openly with him, for the cold stare he gave was enough to warn people of impending danger.

Melle turned to look at the man who spoke unexpectedly and half rose in her chair.

"The shop is closed and this dinner is private," she said.

The handsome, trench-coated young man sported a smart fedora and a charming smile. He pulled something from his coat pocket and waved it like a prize. Melle was on her feet and walking toward him. He smiled like a child with a secret as she took the Hermingild ad from his hands.

"I suppose I failed to lock the front door, much to your good fortune it would seem. Have a seat with the others. Dinner is very good," she said. Melle briefly exited the dining chamber only to return with immediacy. She took stock of the harsh-voiced man as he fed his hunger not with his mouth, but with his eyes as he studied the curios in the cabinets. He seemed very odd, even disturbing in a curious way, but she still could sense no malice from him, so she returned to her seat and meal and paid little heed to his murmurs and mutterings. She eyed the newcomer suspiciously as he shared a few quips with the odd one. Glad everyone is making friends, she thought.

As dinner died down and idle chatter became next to nothing, Lorn tapped a crystal wine glass with his fork to send bell-like trills of icy notes through the air to capture the room's attention.

"Thank you all very much for being here. I am happy to find that adventure still lies within the souls of a brave few. I don't know any of you, with the exception of Melle whom you have all seen and interacted with already. And it's difficult to miss the fact that Commander Gardens has decided to join us, though I have no idea why the Array would be interested in what I'm doing here, but you are welcome, nonetheless, Commander," Lorn said as he cleared his throat with gravitas.

"I have oft been fascinated with the time before the Parishes were born. Not during the turmoil when Sibisis ruled the Array and Lord Commander Trelling marched his forces into Acheron to declare it the seat of his new empire. Long before then when the skeletons that dot the Wilds were whole and another people, another civilization called these lands their home. We know almost nothing of those ancestors or why their lives came to an abrupt end, and just as little about our own origins that are pocked with superstition and pseudoscientific hand-waving. It's this curiosity that brings me to my point and purpose for this gathering.

"My passion is knowledge. And some knowledge can only be acquired by direct means. Believe it or not, many years past, I did just what you young people are about to embark on. I hunted treasures of old with driven, starved, and desperate abandon. Unfortunately, I have not been able to meet the physical demands of Hunting for some time now. These treasure hunts will take you into dangerous areas and some of you may not return. I've witnessed the deaths of many friends and acquaintances over the years, so you should be prepared to do the same. Because of the trinkets I've returned with over the years, I have had the fortune of living a comfortable life, and because of the danger involved in this line of work, I pay handsomely. So be assured that compensation will not be a concern.

"What I want you to do is simply whatever I ask of you, within reason of course. My research and contacts will lead me down a particular path, and your hands and legs will act as my own. Which brings me to the first of many potential prospects. There is a farmstead 10 miles outside the city. It's about two miles off the Hierophant's Way. The family has been reduced to ash, yet no other signs of burning or fire has been evidenced. The Array have sent a few soldiers, whom have met the same fate, and they are disinterested in wasting further resources. The area has been labeled taboo. Demonic influence of Ixe or some such rubbish. You are to go to this farmstead and find out the cause of this disturbance, and attempt to return it to me, intact, if such a thing is possible. If you are successful, you will be compensated and invited to continue employment. Questions are welcome. The floor is yours."

Last edited:
Reactions: Nyx
A long awkward pause, like a thick blanket, stifling conversation, hung over the table. Simulacrum lifted his head, beady black eyes peering out from beneath his wide hat. "Two." He croaked. "Names," He said, waving a hand out to those at the table, before turning to Lorn, and asking directly to him, "Departure?" He placed a gloved hand to his chest, and tilted his head back down. "Simulacrum." he added some title of his skills to the end. "Outlands Stalker." With a crude imitation of a flourish, he gestured around the table, waiting for the next to make their introduction.

"A pleasure...Simulacrum is it? I am Melle Beselisk, I have been employed by Lorn as a Hunter for some four years now, I believe. It is a pleasure to make all of your acquaintances," she said as she briefly stood for her introduction.

Lorn also found his feet briefly to answer the question asked of him.

"We will depart first light. Melle, in her modesty, forgot to mention that she is a Gun Dog in this Parish, which will expedite our access to areas usually deemed taboo for the general populace. Forgive the interruption, please proceed with your introductions. Oh, and um, please to meet with you Simulacrum."

Fires and demon taboos. The prospect of Death. As if life was anything else.

For him, it was the game he played other day.

Sellibeth Gardens... Commander of the Array. He remembered her promotion during his time as Commander himself. One of his soldiers, Tray Craw, had joked about asking her out in the middle of a skirmish. It'd be more romantic, he said. Tray was always the joker in the group. Up until the day he was shot. Not just Craw, Daniel remembered. All of them. Dropping like flies before him, and with the years he spent rising up to his rank, with the experience he gathered, he was powerless. It was until the firing had stopped before Daniel realized that he was alive. The whole time he was alive.

And he blamed her father. High Commander Gardens. The one who is responsible for it. No reinforcements, no instruction. Just gunfire from the undetected enemy.

Melle, the girl he ran into at the entrance. Part of a classification known as ‘Gun Dogs’— they are literally what it sounds like. Freelances that does the dirty work for money. However, they were not to be underestimated. This one in particular had the most experience in the tasks that were to be assigned; she claims four years of experience. Perhaps, she would be the most useful of the lot.

And Simulacrum… The one dressed in the shoddy rogue apparel… Able? Perhaps. But his assumption of Daniel’s capability proved that he lacked experience. The phrase “never underestimate an enemy” is among the the most important things he picked up during his time in the Array.

But it's deception that could let Daniel gain the upper hand.

“Daniel.” He said. “I'm just looking for things to do to scrape up some extra money.” He smiled— a warm, carefree grin. “You see, I found myself in a tight situation the other day. Empty pockets, and just lost my job. No worries, though. I got my trusty revolver, and I know how the safety works and whatnot. Let's get along.”

No commander, no Elage name, nothing. Just a man looking to make some quick cash.

Back