The Last Heroes' Guild The Last Heroes' Guild [OOC and Meta]

Ah. Language. That's a toughie. What do you guys think?

1. On one hand: Realism would dictate we don't all speak the same language.

2. On the other hand: If everyone is speaking a bunch of different languages it is going to be hard to communicate and could make things tedious. And, at the end of the day, we would just have find a way to speak their language so it would really just be like a speed bump.

Personally, I think either would work. If there are language barriers, then we would likely have to find magical ways to cross them because we need the ability to communicate with everyone for the sake of dialogue and moving the story forward.
I think we can skip on realism on this one. I was thinking it could be useful if the tyrant can't understand what we are saying, but that is easily solved. We are a seasoned team and most certainly it makes sense we developed a way of communicating in code of some sort. We probably have had the need to develop a secret language on our previous missions. It is basic tradecraft and espionage.

@Dragon Painter There is nothing more reassuring then a 15 ft tall cannibal standing behind you holding a two handed ax and wearing a rather thick and heavy set of iron armor.

Hey I was reading some of the Nug description. I just wanted to point out that the New World and the Old World are two separate planets entirely. There's no real way to travel between the two except via teleportation, which is a very powerful magic that only a handful of people can use. The Nugs exist in the New World, but they probably wouldn't have existed in the Old World.

I think we can skip on realism on this one. I was thinking it could be useful if the tyrant can't understand what we are saying, but that is easily solved. We are a seasoned team and most certainly it makes sense we developed a way of communicating in code of some sort. We probably have had the need to develop a secret language on our previous missions. It is basic tradecraft and espionage.

Makes sense. Let's just have everyone speak the same language for the sake of the narrative. And as for us, we have developed our own secret way of communicating. After all, we've probably been working together as a team for quite a while now. So should we have a way to indicate what speech is encoded when we are typing our post? This way we know what information the Tyrant may have actually heard and understood. To avoid meta-knowledge.

Hey I was reading some of the Nug description. I just wanted to point out that the New World and the Old World are two separate planets entirely. There's no real way to travel between the two except via teleportation, which is a very powerful magic that only a handful of people can use. The Nugs exist in the New World, but they probably wouldn't have existed in the Old World.
Right-o. I'll just edit that.

Makes sense. Let's just have everyone speak the same language for the sake of the narrative. And as for us, we have developed our own secret way of communicating. After all, we've probably been working together as a team for quite a while now. So should we have a way to indicate what speech is encoded when we are typing our post? This way we know what information the Tyrant may have actually heard and understood. To avoid meta-knowledge.
Yes that was the idea. It won't just be a secret spoken language, it could also be sign language that we developed for when speaking is not an option. It can be all sorts of things. Maybe I adjusted my hat in a certain way, which I never do and is actually a well understood signal among us. For when we are observed. After all if we find out we are observed and suddenly start speaking a different language the tyrant will know we know.

Oooh, little tell take signs like that would be interesting and fit very well in to a group that's been working together for a long time.

Oooh, little tell take signs like that would be interesting and fit very well in to a group that's been working together for a long time.

Yeah. Would also spice up the literature a bit. I don't know how many of you guys like to write like you're writing a book, but I do and I like to read RP like I'm reading a book, so little details are appreciated sometimes. And overkill at others. :D

Also, a quick question on a different topic. I'm petitioning for a sub forum now and I'm considering two options for the organization of the IC sub-forum.

Option 1: Sub-forum is broken down according to locations: This is similar to what you'll see in most of the Epic RPs on this site. The problem is that each location may have little or no posts. You have to read various locations to piece the story together in your head.

Option 2: Sub-forum is broken down according to story arcs: For example, there will be the IC sub-forum in which there are two sub-forums 1. Main Story Arcs 2. Filler Story Arcs.

In the Main Story Arcs sub-forum we create 1 topic at a time (example: Arc 1: "This is title of first arc") and all roleplay for that arc is done within. Once each character's story within that arc reaches a nice conclusion, we will put a bow on it and create the next topic (Arc 2: "You get the idea"). As for the fact that some characters may eventually branch off (or because some new characters won't be heroes so they will start off in different locations) I was thinking that each person's post should have their general location at the very topic of the post, centered.

(Nuglar Mountains)
Like that. This way we can know where people are even if they don't describe their location in every post.

This method has the benefit of everyone's post during an arc going into the same topic. So it reads through. You don't have to search for pieces of the story.

As for the "Filler Arcs" sub-forum. That's for if we want to do some funny side story, or if someone wants to write out a cool IC back story for the character, or something that happened in their lives at one point. Basically, if you want to do some In Character writing that isn't taking place during the main story arc.

So which way would you guys prefer?

Yeah. Would also spice up the literature a bit. I don't know how many of you guys like to write like you're writing a book, but I do and I like to read RP like I'm reading a book, so little details are appreciated sometimes. And overkill at others. :D

Also, a quick question on a different topic. I'm petitioning for a sub forum now and I'm considering two options for the organization of the IC sub-forum.

Option 1: Sub-forum is broken down according to locations: This is similar to what you'll see in most of the Epic RPs on this site. The problem is that each location may have little or no posts. You have to read various locations to piece the story together in your head.

Option 2: Sub-forum is broken down according to story arcs: For example, there will be the IC sub-forum in which there are two sub-forums 1. Main Story Arcs 2. Filler Story Arcs.

In the Main Story Arcs sub-forum we create 1 topic at a time (example: Arc 1: "This is title of first arc") and all roleplay for that arc is done within. Once each character's story within that arc reaches a nice conclusion, we will put a bow on it and create the next topic (Arc 2: "You get the idea"). As for the fact that some characters may eventually branch off (or because some new characters won't be heroes so they will start off in different locations) I was thinking that each person's post should have their general location at the very topic of the post, centered.

(Nuglar Mountains)
Like that. This way we can know where people are even if they don't describe their location in every post.

This method has the benefit of everyone's post during an arc going into the same topic. So it reads through. You don't have to search for pieces of the story.

As for the "Filler Arcs" sub-forum. That's for if we want to do some funny side story, or if someone wants to write out a cool IC back story for the character, or something that happened in their lives at one point. Basically, if you want to do some In Character writing that isn't taking place during the main story arc.

So which way would you guys prefer?
Personally, I prefer the division by story arcs.

If I may ask, will the characters be teleporting into the New World or will they have been there for a certain amount of time?

If I may ask, will the characters be teleporting into the New World or will they have been there for a certain amount of time?

The story will start with our immediate arrival to the New World. As a matter of fact, my initial post to launch the arc will involve the moments just prior to our teleportation. I won't control anyone's characters, but I will likely describe us as all standing together and maybe say that we all marched there like that. The launch will be us getting teleported and so the next post will probably be the first things to happen after teleportation.

Dragons being one of the exceptions because they are beings that use some bit of universal magic. So they could possibly exist on any world.

Ok so what is magic fueled by? Will it be Sanderson style (without blatantly copying)? For example in one of his stories, the characters swallow different types of metal, and when they burn them, each metal does a different thing. I was also thinking a glowing barrel is NOT a good idea for a sniper, whose primary concern is stealth ;)

Back