The Vampire's Apprentice

"Alright. Did you ever..." he cast his eyes about the room, desperately trying to think of a question. "Want a pet when you were younger?" he asked when his eyes fell on Sam.

"Hmmm." She hadn't expected him to ask something illogical. "Yeah, I did. There were always bigger dogs around, but I enjoyed the thought of owning a cat one day."

"It's my name," she sat up on an elbow. "Not a nickname. My real name. If you want to know why, ask my parents."

"I could always track you down electronically, but I would really much rather you tell me," Clancy said. He thought for a moment. "If you tell me... what if I promised to look into getting a pair of those glasses that help the color blind to see colors. I cannot guarantee I can get them, but I can try."

How dare he try to bribe her. Kitty closed her eyes. A scowl crossed her expression. "The reason I do not want to tell you is because you would look me up. How dare you try to bribe me. I was certain you were better than that."

Last edited:
Clancy sat completely unmoved by her anger. "You are so overly sensitive at the strangest of times," he said mildly. "It is not a bribe. If it were a bribe, I would be handing you the glasses. No, this is an offer for an exchange of information." He stretched his long, thin fingers then cracked his knuckles. "Ah, that feels better. As far as I am concerned, unless it is somehow impactful to the here and now and how you will perform your duties, I do not particularly care about your past. Your name is not your past. Your name is you. If you do not tell me, I will look you up and find you. It is not that hard. However, I really would just rather you tell me. Besides, whatever your legal name, you are a McCleary. That will not change."

The frown did not disappear until after a grumbling sigh. Even then, she did not open her eyes to look at him. "It's Kitty J. Thompson." She replied. "Kitty... Jasmine... Thompson. Now let it go."

"Kitty Jasmine Thompson?" he repeated. He mulled it over. "Not the worst name I have heard. I once met a family with two girls. One was Rainbow, and the other Sunshine. I don't know about Rainbow, but Sunshine absolutely abhorred her name." He smiled at the memory then glanced at Kitty. "One last question. Is the name 'Kitty Jasmine Thompson' associated with any police records or arrest warrants that I should know about? Before I take you across state lines."

"Unless you count trying to illegally board a plane headed to the oppisite end of the country, no, not that I'm aware of." Kitty sighed. "I didn't give them my name when I got caught, so I don't think they have it."

Last edited:
"They may or may not have your picture on file, then, but if they do not have your name, it should be fine. I hate flying, anyway. It is faster, but I have less control," Clancy said with a shrug. He reached down and patted her shoulder with a faint smile. "Eventually I may need to get you a new identity. Think about what name you would rather have. Just in case."

She twitched slightly, as though his touch were uncomfortable to her. Kitty opened an eye to glance at him. "Is that all?"

Last edited:
Back