The Vampire's Apprentice

"I do not have a lot of time left, so I thought I would walk around a bit, stretch my legs, then do some reading in here until it is time for me to crawl into my trunk," he told her. "If you feel up to driving, please do, but do not push yourself or Norville beyond what you think you can handle. You have the map, yes?"

Just the prospect of a book made her perk slightly, tainted only by a slow-creeping urge to sleep. Her expression clouded while she thought about the map, however. Where had she put it? Hadn't she... put it with... in....

"I don't remember." Kitty mumbled, still trying to think. "It's somewhere... someplace...."

Last edited:
"I think it's in the glove compartment," Clancy said with a smile. "I'll go get it while you get ready for bed." He slipped out, closing the door securely behind himself before heading to the car. He looked for the map and headed back inside.

Last edited:
Kitty took the opportunity to find some pajamas and put them on, afterwards sitting at the edge of her bed, waiting for Clancy's return.

Opening her eyes again, and waiting for Clancy's return....

"I did not see it in the glove compartment. Perhaps you had it in a pocket?" Clancy suggested. It was no real loss if she could not find the map as he'd memorized the way, but he'd made notes here and there that he was reluctant to part with.

"I know it's around somewhere, but I really don't...." She blinked, pausing. "Really don't want to look for it right now...."

There was a distinct glimmer in her eye that hadn't been there a moment prior. Kitty consented willingly to this thought and climbed underneath the bed's sheets.

Clancy smiled and settled down to read Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. While he appreciated many of the interpretations this little book had been subject to, the actual work of literature was not nearly as exciting as its big screen counterparts. It was mostly description of the people and the lands for a good 50 of the 80 page book without a single line of dialogue. It was beautiful in its own way, but certainly not the nail-biting thriller most turned it into.

Usually a person who falls asleep quickly is "out like a light," as one turning off a lamp evokes the natural speed of luminescence, but it would not be particularly far-fetched to say she succumbed to unconsciousness faster than that; before he had even opened the book's cover to read.

Clancy read about ten pages then closed the book and set it aside. "Goodnight, Miss Kitty," he told her with a fond smile.

He went out for a couple of hours and explored the town around the motel. Then he returned, finished his book, wrote up a short note for Kitty mostly reiterating what he'd said before, then went and tucked himself away in his trunk.

For his part, Norville slept the night away on the floor with Sam. He woke sometime around 2 a.m. and used the bathroom, finally getting into bed then and falling back into an exhausted sleep.

Kitty stared at the little electronic clock on the nightstand between her and Norville's beds for almost a half hour, trying to make sense of the green numbers and thinking of wether she should get up before her Familiar companion or wait until he woke himself.

Why did these green numbers have to flash? The girl couldn't figure out what made digital clocks so appealing to others. Analogs were far more useful; these screened ones were rather bothersome to glance at, in her opinion. Even the digital one in the car, she found vexing on occasion. But at least it didn't flash!

10:24,
a moment of darkness, 10:24, darkness again, 10:25, Kitty rolled over to avoid looking at it. It was annoying.

Last edited:
Norville slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes groggily. He looked around, lost, then focused on the flashing clock. "When did the power go out?" he asked sleepily.

"Weird." He watched the flashing for a bit. Then his eyes went wide. "Is it really that late? Oh no!" He scrambled to his feet. "I'm going to be late! I have to get going! I'm already really behind!"
Sam rolled over and gruffed his annoyance as Norville all but kicked him as he tried to get ready.
Norville froze and looked around the room. "Oh..." he sank down to sit on the edge of the bed. "I... I am not late for anything anymore..."

Kitty slid out from underneath the covers and stretched before going over to plop down beside Norville. "You doing OK there, bud?" She asked.

Back