The Vampire's Apprentice

Sam happily climbed all the way into the back and curled up in his nest of blankets. He was good for now. Later he'd want to run a bit more.

"Pancakes," Norville stated when Kitty returned. "Burger King does a decent breakfast, including pancakes."

"Does it, now?" She asked, hopping into the driver's seat. "We'll just see about that. Do remember to put on your seatbelt."

"Right." He quickly pulled on his belt. He buckled it then stared at the front of the motel. "What do you want for food?"

Norville jerked as if electrocuted then whipped around to stare at Kitty, his eyes wide and his mouth agape. He sat ridged for a second, gaping, face pale. Then he relaxed a little and tried to smile. "Oh, right, you're joking. Yes, very funny." He laughed weakly and settled back.

She glanced at him, giving a nervous smile. "I'm kidding! Not serious! ....Sorry...."
Kitty decided it was best she simply work on driving and not joking.

"Yep, it was good, funny, it, um, yes." He lapsed into silence and stared out the passenger side window as if there was nothing else in the world. He wasn't upset, just kind of shut down.

Kitty felt a pang of regret, though wasn't quite certain what else to say. After that, it was as if she had lost connection to him, despite the fact he was still there.

A while later, following food and a checking of the map, they were on the road again. She decided to ask wether or not they had plans to stop at any sights, but the underlying reason was to see if he had returned to her.

Norville murmured a vague reply but did not seem invested. He watched the roadside weeds speed by for a few minutes.
"I didn't mean to," he blurted suddenly, turning to Kitty. "You know that, don't you?" He looked at her, eyes pleading.

Norville looked forward again, his jaw clenched as tears formed. "I just wanted him to stop. I never wanted to... to..." He swallowed hard then spat it out. "To kill him! I tried to hit his legs, but I was shaking so bad, and then the gun jumped, and... what if I'd hit Mum?" The tears started rolling down his cheeks. "He'd hurt us all so much already. The twins don't remember it, but he hurt us so bad, and then we could never really get away from him. He hurt us just by existing!"

Kitty didn't have something to say, but she nodded to note she was listening. Perhaps it was better to let him speak his mind for a bit.

Norville sniffed and brushed the tears away angrily. "As much as he hurt us, I could never find it in me to hate him, not really, and I know that sounds crazy. What sane person wouldn't hate someone like that? But I just couldn't. I never wanted him dead, I just wanted him gone and out of our lives. And then... then I took him out of life entirely. I don't... I don't know what to do or think. A part of me is relieved, and then I feel guilty for that."

She nodded again. "I'm sorry you had to go through that, Norville. If I didn't have my hands on the wheel, I'd offer you a hug."

He gave her a watery smile. "Thanks. I just..." He sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I just hope my family can have a better life now that they don't have to look over their shoulders all the time. I hope that they can finally find peace. If I could know that they are okay now, then I could... you know... feel better about what happened. Not that... it happened, but that it wasn't pointless. You know?"

"I know." Kitty agreed, glancing at him again. "And I'm sure they will. You can always write to them, you know. Ask them how they're doing. I'm sure they'll be happy to hear from you."

"Yeah..." He hung his head. "Except now I'm kind of on the run from the police." He reached down and fiddled with his pant leg. "Why didn't Mr. McCleary leave me there?"

"You reminded him of someone else." She answered simply. "That, and I like to believe he cares for you somewhat."

Norville didn't answer at first. He rubbed his eyes a few more times before finally sitting up with a shaky breath. "I'm sorry," he said to the roof of the car. "I didn't mean to kill you. I guess you brought it on yourself, but I pulled the trigger. I'm sorry for that. But I can't... I can't let you haunt me." He closed his eyes and didn't move for a long time, still crying silently.

Her grip tightened on the wheel and Kitty's lips pressed together in contemplation, but she didn't speak. It was annoying that she couldn't use her actions; without them, she wasn't sure how to comfort him with only her words.

Back