The Vampire's Apprentice

Sam growled at the ram and gave a bark. The ram head-butted the post of its fence casually, making the whole fence shake. Sam froze and stared. The ram glowered back, clearly not in the least bit threatened by the muscular dog.
"I wouldn't pick that fight, pup," Norville snickered.

Kitty glanced between Sam and the ram. "Yeah, please don't pick that fight. Who's gonna protect us from werewolves if you're not around?" She asked, looking down at the dog.

Sam whined then barked again, a little less certainly.
"Let's go look at the fuzzy... I think it's a llama," Norville said, wandering forward. "No, wait, hey, that's a camel!"

"That is the shaggiest looking camel I've ever seen." Norville grinned at Kitty. "All two of them!" He looked down at the little plaque as the bored-looking animal lay chewing its cud and watching them with little interest. "Camelus bactrianus... a Bactrian camel from Central Asia. That's cool. Literally!"

She laughed. "You know, I should've taken my camera out and brought it with us. I dunno why I didn't do that." Kitty looked at the camels for a moment. "Would you be OK holding Sam if I went to go get it?"

"Sure." Norville took Sam's leash. "Just stick with me, buddy, and no fighting the ram."
Sam hadn't been pulling since the ram, but he did continually look toward it.

Kitty waved at him, then went to retrieve her camera from the car. Only briefly did she linger on the thought that Clancy was in one of these boxes. The moment passed and she instead chose to dwell on the hope she would get to show him what they'd done that day.
After a few minutes, she returned to Norville, camera in-hand.

Sam pulled when Kitty started to leave, but he soon gave up and sat nicely by Norville. Until Kitty returned, then he pulled to be with her again.
"I think it's pretty obvious who he's loyal to," Norville grunted, trying to stabalize himeslf.

"I guess you're right." Kitty reached down to scratch the dog's head. "You two feel like posing for me?" She asked, smiling.

"Aw, c'mon," she raised the camera to her eye, but didn't do anything more. "Look at you. It's already perfect."

Norville awkwardly shifted over to stand more in front of the closet camel, who also looked the most interested in what was going on. "But... the casts and all that..." He ran his good hand through his hair and nudged Sam to sit close to his walking cast. Sam moved and sat in front of him, blocking the cast from the camera's view.

"Huh," he grinned, handing her the picture. "Okay, your turn. Which animal do you want to have your picture taken in front of?"

"Do you think one of the goats would stand with Sam and I?" She asked, taking the leash in exchange for the camera.

"Maybe, especially if you have some of that food left. They really seem to like that," Norville said, balanced the camera carefully.

Back