The Vampire's Apprentice

"One hundred and fifty-five years from today to 1865," Norville said without a pause. "I think we've seen everything but the mini horses, but they are all the way at the back of their... paddock thing, so I don't think they care for visitors."

"Hm. I stand corrected. Maybe you'll have to ask him, tonight." Kitty shrugged. A faint smirk returned. "I suppose it's about time we fill up for gas and keep chugging, isn't it?"

Norville gave Kitty a surprised look as he started walking back toward the little hut. "Me? Ask him? Nah, I don't think that'd be a good idea."

"Why not?" She followed after him, easily keeping pace with his ambling gait. "You're... his, now. He'll take care of you like he takes care of me. I promise he's not a bad person. He's a very nice person."

Norville looked down bashfully. "It's just... a little different. After all, he picked you because he liked you. I'm his... pity project. Not to mention, I'm a guy."

"That's not true at all." Kitty stepped in front of him and stopped walking. She looked up at his unkempt face. "Well, you are a guy. But you're not here simply because he pities you, same as I'm not here simply because he likes me. He likes you, too. Clancy wouldn't have saved your life if he didn't."

Norville looked at her uncertainly and shifted his weight. "Are you sure?" he asked. "I thought that maybe at best he tolerates me. Like a rescued dog. No offense, Sam."
Sam looked up at his name but mostly seemed to be wondering why they'd stopped.

"Don't be afraid to ask him things." She smiled lightly in return. "He's not as scary as you might think, I promise."
With that, Kitty turned on her heel and continued walking.

"Alright. I'll try," Norville nodded, straightening. He started carefully walking again, heading for the door. "Want to grab lunch on our way out?"

"Oh yeah... lunch." Kitty slowed for him. Her stomach growled at the thought of lunch. "That sounds like a plan, doesn't it?"

Norville nodded. "I say we get something at whatever presents itself next. What's next on the map for stops, by the way? After lunch, obviously."

She thought for a moment. "Hmm. I'm not certain." Kitty shrugged. "We'll find out when we look at the map, won't we?"

Norville managed to open the door for her, and then limped his way through the hut. He paused to glance curiously at the hats and grinned before continuing to the outside door. "Be funny to get Clancy a new hat." He opened that door for her as well.

"I almost wonder if he'd wear it," Kitty chuckled. She stopped before exiting, scanning the room to see if they had postcards.

"That's too bad. We'll get one on the next stop, probably. Postcards are a really good idea," Norville nodded.
Sam veered off to take care of business then returned to the car, panting. Norville poured a bit of water into a bowl for him, and Sam happily lapped it up before hopping in.

Kitty retrieved the map and opened it up to see where Clancy had marked. "If we're here...." She placed her finger on the path and moved up the map to the right. "There's something else here. And up there is the cave...." The girl continued to mumble quietly. Eventually, she nodded and folded the map.

Back