Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Van Leugen

Luke Daly, as played by Meliodas

For a moment, he fiddled with the car keys as he looked at Obsidian, at a loss for words. Smiling, he moved towards her, coming almost close enough to press himself against her; but with a grin, he reached behind her and got the door, opening it. “I’m sure we’re going to be the best of friends. I guarantee it!” Shutting the door behind her, he walked around and plopped himself in the driver’s seat before starting the car. Sitting there with his hands briefly on the wheel, he corrected his rearview mirror. “You know; I haven’t broken that backseat in yet. I’m sure we have plenty of time to spare. What do you say? Maybe we can show the rest of the precinct how it’s done.”

As he backed out and pulled onto the street, he began driving without any direction before he started to speak. “You look good in casual. Suits you.” There wasn’t much of an intent there outside of softening his tone. “Well, you got the file so mind telling me where the hell we are going... officer?”

Her punch the shit out of him reflect was triggered when Luke moved closer to her current location, but thankfully for him, Obsidian had a lot of self-control. Her blue eyes narrowed towards him, though nothing else on her form shifted. Instead, once the door was open, she slid inside the passenger's seat, pulling on her seatbelt and attempted to ignore how hard she had been clenching her jaw. No, they were not going to be best friends and it didn't matter how much he guaranteed it. Gritting her teeth at his crude comment, her fingers curled up into a fist.

"You are a pig. Just drive, you asshole so we can get this day over with." Crossing her arms against her chest, Obsidian stared at the window, hating Armstrong more and more as the seconds ticked by. Even Luke's comment that she looked good in casual wasn't enough to quell the anger within her. "Let's go take a look at his place. See if there's clues that someone might have missed."

“You know doll, if you’re going to last in this city, you might as well accept the fact that there are a lot worse characters out there than me. Just the way it is. You’ll learn really quick to find a sense of humor and that there is no time for civility. Nothing gets done in this city, and I can’t quite say I haven’t contributed to that; so, might as well just sit back and enjoy yourself. If you really expect to get much done, you’d be best suited elsewhere.” For a moment, he was being serious and giving Obsidian what he hoped would turn out to be some sound advice. He knew he was an asshole, and quite frankly relished in the honorary title he’d been given by his comrades. Luke didn’t have friends, and he didn’t really have enemies either; he was just getting by like everyone else and did whatever it took to accomplish that goal.

His entire life had been spent being taken advantage of by people and he had finally grown to a point where he wasn’t going to give a fuck anymore. As far as he was concerned, everyone could just drop dead, including himself. People were ignorant, selfish brutes who didn’t deserve the gift of their meaningless lives. Luke was just trying to make sure they all knew it. “Well, that would be on the other side of town.” With that said, he took a hard left, flipping around in the middle of traffic without paying much attention. After some angry horns and a bit of cursing (mostly from him), he smiled as he continued on his way. It was easy to tell that he wasn’t the kind of person to let anything really bother him.

“Obsidian… who the fuck names their kid that? Almost sounds like a stripper name. And what in the hell could have possibly compelled you to be a cop? With those looks, I’m sure you could have done a million other things.”

"Considering you know nothing of me or what I am capable of, you need to shut up and stop with the advice. I don't give a shit what you want to do or what you're willing to do or not do. All I know is we've got a case and that means I'm not just sitting at the desk in that stuffy precinct, which suits me just fine." Obsidian gave a simple shrug, trying to think about the case and not the relationship or lack of relationship she was going to have with Luke. Did she think he was possibly giving her good advice? Maybe, but at that moment, she didn't want to focus on the fact that he just admitted he had no intentions on doing anything with the case. Why was he even a cop then? It didn't make sense to her, but she wasn't going to question his ethics quite yet. Cursing loudly when he suddenly turned around in the middle of traffic, she grasped the dashboard and thought about swearing at him, but opted to just keep quiet. He was doing enough cursing as it was and she didn't think he needed any help. Shifting her gaze towards him at the questioning of the origin of her name, she just shrugged.

"My parents were fond of the obsidian rocks that formed when volcanic lava coming in contact with water. They were volcanologists. Fun stuff." Obsidian shrugged, stretching herself out as she watched buildings fly by. "As for why I became a cop, at the time I wanted to make a difference. I didn't live in the best of towns and well... noble dreams are never reality. It's alright because eventually I'll become a detective or something and truly make a difference. Not in Val Leugen probably, but somewhere. Why do't you ever want to do anything? Why'd you become a cop if you never planned on making a difference?" She questioned, voice a little soften and less harsh than before.

Back at the precinct, Armstrong had just finished up. "Cole, stick around for a second." He called out to William, digging his cellphone from his pocket.

"Let me make this call and then I'll let you know why you're still here. The rest of you, try not to make me look bad out there."

Armstrong dialed up Daly's number, waiting for him to answer or for the phone to go to voicemail before he spoke.

"I get it, you're an arrogant little dweeb, but it really helps you more than it helps me if you stick around so that you know where to go." He said into the phone, "Meet up with Turn and the NPA agent at Grayson's home. And, by the way, you're working a Graveyard Nillies street beat tomorrow night. I hope you didn't make any plans and I hope you don't mind walking."

It was with that Armstrong hung up the phone.

Luke didn’t opt to say much as he listened to Obsidian speak, absorbing her questions with a grain of salt. He wasn’t big on talking about his past, so he simply mulled over what she was asking him. They were reasonable questions, no doubt, but it wasn’t really a story he liked to be brought back to. “You see the problem with that is…” Before he could finish, his phone rang, and as he slipped it out of his front shirt pocket, he only needed to take one look at it before knowing who it was. “Damn Armstrong. Bastard keeps getting my God damn number. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to get a new phone.” Hitting the reject call button, he rolled down his window and tossed the phone onto the pavement before running over it with his back tire. “Mind reaching into the glove department for me Obsidian?” If she were to open it, she would find a handful of various cell phones sitting in there (burners mostly).

“As I was saying. You see the problem with that is, you have to realize this city is as corrupt as the day is long. I was like you once. New on the force, a good head on my shoulders. Thought a gun and a badge meant I could make a difference in this city. It didn’t take long for me to realize that wasn’t the case. Had a family once. Wife, maybe even kids had things lasted. Unfortunately, they didn’t. And all I have to say about that is it’s what happens when good cops stick their noses in shit they’re not supposed to. So I learned the hard way to keep my head down.” No sooner than he finished his shortened monologue did he pull up to Grayson’s, and with that he wasted little time in putting the car in park and getting out. He had no interest in sharing his experiences with Obsidian. Luke had seen too many cops come and go and wasn’t willing to try and make friends.

"Pretty sure you should have answered that, Luke. He is our boss, isn't he?" Obsidian just shook her head, not even bothering to argue with him about it. Instead she popped open the glove compartment and pulled out a phone, exhaling as she sat it beside him. Closing the glove box up again, she leaned back, shoving a few strands of blonde hair out of her eyes. Her gaze drifted out the window and she listened to his explanation and despite not wanting to believe it, new that deep down he was right. Why had she become a cop if she couldn't make a difference? Maybe things would change since they got out the corrupt officers? No, probably not. Her mind drifted a moment before she picked on the fact that his wife was killed or at least that was what she was inferring by his comment. There was no way in hell she was going to ask for an explanation, mostly because it wasn't her damn business. That and the fact that he wouldn't tell her anyways and might return to being a class A asshole.

"Understood." Leaving it at that as they reached their destination, she slid out of the car, glancing around cautiously before stepping over to where Luke was at, expecting him to at least take point or something since she was still new on the force.

Cole remained largely silent as Armstrong made his phone call, making an audible frown when he mentioned a street beat in the Nillies.

"Really sticking it to Daly, aren't you, Sarge?" He said, closing his file folder.

"I've traced a lot of the Black Widow's murders to in and around the Nillies, and the Normans, following investigations from throughout the precinct, I hope he doesn't run into her." Cole said.

"Anyways, what did you need from me, Sir?"

"He's an ass, he needs a good nighttime Nillies walk to humble him." Armstrong said, "Knowing him, he'll just end up getting killed. Either way, I'm not complaining." He continued, turning his attention fully to Cole.

"The Chief Von Goethe wants a word with you, my guess is it's about your Black Widow. Finch and Montague said you won't shut up about it. I don't believe anything is there, but if Von Goethe wants you on it, he has you." Armstrong said to the younger officer, "He's waiting for you at that cop bar in the Nillies. Uh... Yellowjacket."

"Nice of you to join us." Detective John Turn said, sitting on the front steps of a white three story home. It was nice. Definitely the kind of place someone like Grayson would live if they didn't want to be found out. It was easy to blend in.

It was your typical suburban layout. Driveway, picket fence, and green grass. It was neat and perfect. Too much for Van Leugen.

"Fed right there." He continued, gesturing to a woman leaning against a car just across the street with a phone to her ear. She was a young blonde, dressed in a black trenchcoat. She didn't seem to notice the others, or if she did her phone call was a more pressing.

"She was protecting Grayson before hot smoked." John said, "Probably here to make sure we don't bury the case. Fuck Grayson. I brought him in and the NPA were gonna let that fucker walk."

"I won't shut up about it, maybe if we actually did some police work... I mean come on!" Cole protested. "Whoever is killing these people is a professional, hardly any real evidence, all of them killed execution style and strung up, this is a hitman sending a message with each person she kills." Cole said, standing up, taking his files with him.

"I'll go see the chief, then." He said, turning to head out.

With the mention of the agent across the street, Luke knew immediately that this was his moment to shine. Glancing over at Obsidian, he winked before walking over to the agent; and without a care in the world for the fact that she was on the phone, spoke just about as loud as he could manage. “Hey miss! Don’t worry, Luke Daly is on the scene! We’ll make sure to catch the scumbag… the same scumbag who killed a disgusting, lowlife piece of shit, child murdering scum who, thank God got whacked by someone else because I had two minds to go do it myself. Actually did me a favor. But don’t worry, I’ll make sure we handle this case real professional like. I’ll probably start with every father, mother, or badge in the precinct. I’m sure we are bound to turn up something.” He was really laying the sarcasm on thick and almost had a mind to take it a step further but stopped himself. And they said he was corrupt? You couldn’t even trust your own government.

Obsidian’s gaze shifted towards the male sitting on the steps of the house that was probably Grayson’s. She just nodded her head with a slight wave before glancing over towards the agent leaning against the car. Not bothering to say hello or even wave, the blonde returned her attention towards the house, studying it silently for a few minutes. She was about to say something when Luke’s movement caught her attention. Oh great… Daly, please don’t. It was clear that her mind knew exactly what he was about to do an sure enough, he was off being a dick to the Fed agent. Perfect.

“I’m Obsidian Fyre and that dick over there is Luke Daly. You are…?” She felt stupid not knowing who the detective was, but she was still new on the force. Her attention drifted back towards Luke and the other female and he

“Luke, give it a rest.” She warned, head shaking a little.

"What a ball of sunshine." Turn said to Obsidian about Daly, "If it's any consolation, guys like him end up riding the boats in the harbor or doing transit patrols. Take his shit, you might end up like me." He said to her, "Better than me. I've made a few more mistakes than your average detective." John added, "Detective Turn, Homicide." He introduced

He turned his gaze towards Luke, shaking his head. "Let's head inside. It's unlocked." He told Obsidian, gesturing for her to follow him as he went inside. The home was, for lack of a better term, completely fucked up. Whoever wanted Grayson dead had gotten to his place long before any cops could show up and secure the scene. If there was any evidence before then, there probably wasn't much left, if any.

Across the street, the NPA agent wasn't paying Daly any mind. Not while she was on the phone, "Yeah, get back to VL with whatever you can find." She said into the phone, holding a finger up towards Daly. "Working with the cop that brought him in and some others. Better than the last cop." She looked towards Daly, "Mostly better." The woman said, hanging up the phone.

"Special Agent Jordan Dean." She introduced herself to Daly, "And, please, spare me. I think I've had my fill with the local talent." Jordan told the detective, "I can put in a good word for you, but only if you nut up and give this city a W. You might get a medal you can show off to all the badge bunnies."

It was hard for Daly to figure out whether the smug woman was being serious or funny, so he gave her nothing more than a smug smile before he motioned the air in front of him as if to say she was doing nothing more than jerking him off. “You know, Special Agent… who gives a fuck, I might just go and do that.” Turning his back on the woman and resisting the urge to flip her the bird, he walked back towards the car and came up behind Obsidian. Yet again, a bit too close for comfort as he whispered to her something in passing. “Let’s go solve this.” Spoken only for her to hear, he started towards the house with the rest of the various investigators with a slight spring in his step as he walked in front of them.

Making his way through the door, the house was definitely upper class, but it was clear someone had beaten them to the punch. But honestly, how good could they have possibly been? Chances were that Grayson was whacked by just another lowlife, so they had to have missed something. Although, he wondered; why go to all the trouble in the first place? What could they possibly have to hide or gain for that matter?

With his hands in his pocket in order to keep himself from disturbing the crime scene, he subtly watched his step as he inched forward, his eyes searching for something… anything.

“Yep, he’s great.” Obsidian rolled her eyes, wishing she was back at her place with a huge glass of rum or something of that variety. Stretching out as the detective gave her some advice, she couldn’t help but just shrug, not about to let Luke drag her down or screw up her plans. “I don’t take anyone’s shit, Detective Turn.” Obsidian headed up into the house, not wanting to be privy to what might happen next between Daly and the female. Feeling him way too close to her, she resisted the urge yet again to bring harm to his body.

“Yeah, nice of you to join us, Luke. Please refrain from pissing off everyone we encounter. I know it’s super hard for you.” Obsidian glanced around once inside of the home and peered around, chewing a little on her cheek as she started to look for clues. Whoever offed Grayson did a fantastic job of cleaning the scene up and she couldn’t help but wonder if perhaps they were someone familiar with what all must happen when a crime scene is cleaned up. “Hmm… Do we have any leads at all?”

"The folks that snatched up Grayson, under the Special Agent's watch, used to work for Ajax Security." John said to Obsidian and Luke.

He shook his head at the trashed home. As usual, the detectives in Van Leugen were being bent over.

"And get this, they were dead. At least they used to be." Special Agent Dean added, "My agency suspects necromancers. Likely from Lutetia, not many local who would do a job this risky."

“Let me get this straight. Basically, some zombies busted in here who used to work for Ajax Security, and just trashed the place before taking the guy? And what the fuck was the agent doing while all this was happening? Don't even tell me it was the stupid cunt outside. Were there any signs of a struggle?” By that, Luke wondered whether any blood or anything else had been found outside of the damage to the house. Did they suspect Grayson went willingly? Or was this just made out to appear like a robbery gone very wrong? Or very right.

It was a curious thing to think the undead of all people were behind this, not to mention necromancers. The connection? Ajax. There was clearly more to this than met the eye. “I suppose we should begin calling around for any sort of grave robbing. Maybe get a list from Ajax about employees they’d lost recently. Though, I am betting that is going to be easier said than done.”

Looking over Obsidian, he smirked as he walked over to her and reached behind her, his hand landing square on her ass. “As long as I continue to just piss you off, I’d call it a job well done. And a nice job… ass is.” Pausing for a moment, he caught himself. “It is. I was going to say... it is!”

Last edited by a moderator:
Obsidian mused silently as the detective explained what leads they had at that moment. Her brow arched at the idea of necromancers coming here from Lutetia just to snatch up Grayson. Why was he that important? It just didn’t make sense to her and that bothered her immensely. Pondering a little more as Luke shot off his mouth again, she shifted her gaze over towards him, about to say something, but couldn’t help admit he had a point. If there was this much of a struggle, why didn’t the agent hear it? Or did they take him and then come back and trash the place to make it appear like something else? Did they do something to the agent to make her not hear? There were too many holes in this story and she hated that.

“Damn it, Daly, stop touching me and focus on the damn job before the chief shoves you in a hole so deep you’ll never find your way out. Why would Necromancers go to all this trouble to snatch Grayson? Especially Necromancers from another place? This doesn’t make a lick of sense, especially with an agent around to stop them. I just… I don’t get it. Is there a video surveillance system?” Obsidian stepped away from Luke, studying the environment for a second time. “Something’s fucked about this whole thing and that bugs me.”

"The necromancers were likely contracted to bring back some of Ajax's better gunmen. I don't think they're connected more than taking money from those bastards." Turn said, "You won't see me going out there to chase that lead. I never thought I'd say this, but Van Leugen is safe." The detective continued, half-joking.

"The NPA will handle that." Dean told the detectives, "Like you all handled protecting Grayson?" Turn asked.

"They were getting him to snitch on some real powerful people." Turn informed Daly and Obsidian, not hiding his contempt for the feds.

"Because feds make deals with scum."

Dean rolled her eyes, moving to break off from the group and go her own way.

"Grayson was a real weirdo. I bet he had hidden cameras." Dean called out to the detectives.

"That's unsettling." Detective Turn muttered.

Back