Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Westeria City: Azure Heights

as written by birdee10

The wide eyesd cave dweller fliched at the passing of the truck, using her free hand to cover one ear. It was likely that if she wasn't helping to carry the one she believed to be Shin'ichi, she would have found a place to hide the moment she heard the chanting. Whatever these creatures are, they sure are loud. She thought, glacing back once. Lemon filed away what they had been chanting as she quickly tried to learn the language. She looked at all of the half destroyed billboards and bumper stickers, street signs and shop signs, picking up on repeating words and letters. She still didn't know how to say anything she picked up, or even what it meant, but atleast she had something. A base that she could work from.
Lemon was confused as they approached the small pod. What are they thinking? We're sitting ducks in that thing, we should keep moving. She thought, and as such, was alittle reluctant to let go of Shin'ichi and alow him to be placed inside. The other two placed the injured one in the pod, clearly meant for sitting. There were padded chairs both frount and back, all sorts of buttons and flashing lights. When the taller one left and motioned for her to get in the box herself, lemon almost left. But where else was there? At least with these creatures, they didn't seem to want to eat her.
Sitting crosslegged on the floor beside Shin'ichi, she closed her eyes, processing all that had happened and wanting to do nothing more then sleep. Then the smaller one started speaking, and it took her a moment to realize it was speaking to her, and in a different language pattern then with the taller one. Lemon wasn't sure exactly, but it sounded like a nervous question. And what would be the first question I asked?
How do I get home.
But the creature was already home so she crossed that one off the list.
Are you going to eat me. Even if that was the case, it was absolutly silly. She would have eaten them by now .
What are you. This seemed to be the one, as she staired at Lemon waiting for a response. She thought for a moment longer before digging around in her bag. Everyone in her planet had to carry two days food and water wherever they went in to the outer caves, which were much more unstable. So, with her, Lemon had a lemon. She just hoped the creature knew what it was and had a word for it. She pulled out a hand full of them, small, bright, yellow, and a shape fat in the middle with narrow ends. 4 of them filled her long fingered palm, holding it out to the creature. On the inside the meat was dark purple and slightly sweet, only sour when it had gone bad.

as written by Tiko

Shin'ichi made move to protest his placement in the small transport vessel, and he tried to sit up.

"No... I need to find... Ta...mo...tsu..."

The sudden spike of adrenaline, and fear at where the pair of Taiyou might be taking him was too much for him at the moment. His eyes fluttered closed as exhaustion claimed him. The last thing he was aware of was Aeka placing a pillow beneath his head as the world faded from conscious thought and worry.

as written by Tiko

Sonja remained silent as she watched out the window of the vehicle. Shawn's words did little to ease her concerns of what tomorrow would bring. Once more her world had found itself turned upside down, and she was struggling to process it all into any sort of rationality. Again and again the Aschen executions played out in her mind, until the nausea was back.

It would be a long, and likely quiet ride to Phinx's place.

as written by barney_fife

Aeka took the small Lemon and she looked it over, turning it back and fourth among her slender fingers. "Remon she said, her Taiyou accent mucking the pronunciation of the words slightly. "Remon." She said again, understanding what the creature was trying to say. At that moment Aeka placed her hand on her chest. "Aye-ayka." She pronounced slowly, before she pointed to the woman sitting in the cockpit. "Moh-tohkou" She said slowly, before she put her hands on the floor of the ship. "Sudden Transport." She said, before she looked down to an unconscious Shin'ichi, while Motoko cursed in Taiyou.

The controls beeped in protest, and the engine groaned it's own protest, whirring up for a moment only to die back down. For now the Sudden Transport was grounded, having sustained a bit of damage from Aschen Apollo fighters.

as written by Saarai

Shawn glanced back at Sonja again, wanting to say something to help her out. This wasn't something he had experience with, something he could relate to.

Relationship issues? Yeah, he could have some words for that. Family member passing away? His grandmother died a few years. Sonja was in a unique predicament.

"We're here." He told the woman, bringing the vehicle to a stop outside of a condo. Hanging around the area were Invictus operatives, bikers, and some characters who looked really out of place. Gang members clearly concealing big weapons.

Shawn climbed out of the car, quickly moving to open Sonja's door.

"I'll take you up."

as written by birdee10

Lemon smiled wide, knowing the creature understood. So I'm not in a world surrounded by idiot beings! she realized with elation. They might be able to get me back home! It identifed itself as Aeka. "Aye-aye-ayka" she repeated, trying to wrap her toung around the soft word. It was strange, having none of the clicks or rolls her own people used to eco through the caves. "Aye-ayka." She said, "Moh-tohkou-ou, Motoko." She took to mean the taller of the two, and the pod must be "Sudd-dden Trans-port." Lemon said then flinched as the metal box shuttered, bracing herself against one of the chairs. She paused trying to remember how they had said it earlyer. "Shin-ichi?" She asked, pointing to the one who was laying on the floor of Sudden Transport.

The Major cursed for another moment, and tried to start the transport once more. The engines whirred in protest, and the ship lurched forward a good several feet as the taller woman shouted in accomplishment.

The Sudden Transport began to lift off, slowly at first, but it was picking up speed while Motoko manipulated the controls.

Aeka smiled in the affirmative. "Hai." She replied, while shifting to get a better spot as the Transport began to climb up above the burning city, Aeka had gone to one of the windows, pressing her face against the glass as she looked outside. She made a face as her gaze was filled with the burning city, that face turned to a frown as she backed up and away from the window, the Engines were still protesting, sounding as if they were going to stall out.

"Hang onto something.." Aeka said, reaching to grab onto one of the chairs, gesturing for Lemon to follow suit as the ship lurched forward, and started out of the city.

as written by birdee10

Lemon was too alarmed by the rising of the craft to really be happy with Aeka's praise. She stood unsteadily and stumbled over to the window, her eyes wide as the ground left them behind. Aeka said something to her, moving to get in one of the seats. Lemon hoped it wasn't Kiss life goodbye because this death trap of a metal box is going to fall. That would be bad, to die alone and confused on some far away planet. She sat in one of the chairs, looking confused at the straps, then she looked to there unconscious companion. "Shin'ichi" She said worried and hoped Aeka understood her concerns.

Aeka looked to shinichi for a moment and noted that Motoko had strapped him in prior to going to the cockpit. "He'll be fine." She replied, noting that Lemon seemed quite uneasy at the fact the ship was taking off, so Aeka tried to figure out a way to explain the function of the ship.

She stretched her arms out like a bird, flapping them for a moment, and then she took a rectangular ammunitions magazine and set it on the floor, making airplane noises as she picked it up, emulating a plane flying around. She was trying to communicate that their ship was designed to fly.

Motoko was still at the controls, turning for a moment to speak to Aeka.

"We should be at the safehouse in a little bit."

as written by birdee10

Lemon was really freaked out, then when Aeka started flapping her arms around making strange noises, she was scared. Maybe she was trying to mime something, maybe it was some sacrifice ritual, maybe going up was driving the creature insane. "Aeka?!" She asked trying to move as far back from the girl in her seat. "Motoko?!" She said, looking to the one up frount. "What is she doing?! Is she, is she going to eat me?!?!" She said in her language, throughly confused and scared now.

as written by Tiko

It didn't take long for the small transport to depart Azure Heights.

as written by Script

Yesterday had been a long day.

Aaron had spend most of it waiting in an NPA prison cell with half a dozen other Tech Con employees whilst, as far as he could tell by the noises coming through the wall, the world ended outside.

“They’re going to kill us,” another member of his department had muttered, tugging at his hair. “They’ll line us up, execute us to make an example.”

“They’re not going to execute us,” Aaron grimaced, shaking his head, “They’re not the Empire.”

“That’s easy for you to say, Terran.” A third man spat, “These heretics will jump at the opportunity to do away with us. But you’re one of them.”

“You think people will differentiate between a half-Aschen and a full one?” Aaron rolled his eyes, “I doubt it. Same way you call me Terran. Everyone’s angry, so I get to be whatever they can legitimise being angry at.”

The argument had been hushed by the NPA agents outside shortly after, but the man’s comment had stayed fresh in his mind right up until when he was given his choice.

Renounce the Aschen – his father, his friends from Apollo, and his career – or get on a shuttle and ship off his home planet for good.

Wherever he went, he doubted he’d find much love. On Langara he’d be a filthy Terran. Here, he’d be a bastard Aschen.

The decision hadn’t been too difficult in the end. At least here they weren’t likely to execute him as a heretic for his blood. He doubted he could rely on his father for protection. They’d never really gotten along outside of work.

Now, he was on his way out of the city. His company car had been seized, so he had what belongings he could carry stuffed into a bulging suitcase that he dragged along behind him as he made his way towards the airport. He only hoped that nobody recognised him. He wasn’t the most well known Tech Con employee, but he was a regular patron of Vogel’s Bar, a primarily Aschen establishment. Running into one of the few none-Aschen patrons who knew him from there could be messy. And there’d been that brief appearance in a newspaper, talking about one of their projects... but that had been an Aschen publication that didn’t see much market in Westeria.

Still, he was uneasy as he made his way alongside the steady trickle of civilians filtering out of residential neighbourhoods towards the airport. Even this far away, the streets were jam-packed with both cars and pedestrians. It would only take one person recognising him to cause him a lot of trouble.

as written by Saarai and Script

Michael and his fellow bikers weaved through the crowds on the way back to their bikes. The airport wasn't far, but there were too many people for them to successfully ride there and see one of their members off. Everyone was trying to leave.

They were getting help, checking on relatives, and making new lives.

Michael went where his family went. They meant a lot to him. He'd kill for them. Die for them. That included his brothers and sisters the same patch as he did.

"Is that one? An Aschen?" A woman muttered to a friend, inspecting Aaron as he moved. Michael was drawn by the question, searching the crowd for the person the women were speaking of.

"Mike, what's up?" One of the bikers asked him. Michael didn't respond, his brown eyes landed on Aaron and he was gone. "Hey, Mike!" Another biker called out as Michael moved to quickly intercept Aaron.

"You're Aschen?" Michael asked Aaron as he got closer, drawing some looks in his direction. "You're at the airport. Wrong place if you're Aschen. The government's sending them home." Michael told Aaron, apparently trying to be helpful.

____

Aaron drew up short as Michael stepped in front of him, eyes widening in surprise. At the man's words, he turned his gaze away, shaking his head with a scowl. "You're mistaken. I'm not Aschen," he said quietly, but firmly.

He attempted to step around the man, pulling his case with him, and ignoring the stares of the nearby civilians. He tried to stop his nerves showing on his face.

____

"Someone thinks you are." Michael told Aaron, allowing him to step around him. His eyes drifted towards his case, growing a little suspicious of it. It could have been nothing. It could have been a bomb. Or stolen documents.

Espionage was beyond Michael's depth.

"Why aren't you going with the others?" Michael asked loudly, drawing more attention. "Why aren't you leaving with the other Aschen?" He asked, speaking even louder.

____

"I was born on Terra!" Aaron snapped back, "I'm not one of them. And it's none of your business, anyway. I have a plane to catch."

The crowd was beginning to stop and watch the confrontation beginning. Aaron could only hope that it drew the attention of the TNG military forces overseeing the evacuation. There didn't seem to be any close by, though he thought he could make out a couple near the end of the street. The rest were probably all closer to the airport, a few blocks away.

He tried to ignore the eyes on him, continuing to put distance between himself and Michael.

"You didn't say you weren't Aschen that time!" someone in the crowd yelled. Aaron winced. He'd tried to avoid lying, by telling half the truth. It was easier than forcing himself to lie about who he was to please the masses.

"I'm not," he grunted. What little pride he had about his race wasn't worth being lynched over.

____

"Mike, let it go." One of the bikers said to Michael, "So what?" Michael asked Aaron, following behind him. "A lot of people who were born here died because of what the Aschen did." He said to Aaron.

"Who were you willing to die for? Them? Terrans? Or are you a coward?"

____

"I'm not a soldier," Aaron replied, shaking his head, "Look, I don't have to justify myself to you. Stop following me. Don't you have anything better to do than harass strangers?" The young scientist rolled his eyes. "Like finishing high school, for one..." he added under his breath, aiming to be quiet enough that Michael wouldn't hear. The biker was likely catch his tone at the very least, even if he didn't make out the words, however.

as written by barney_fife, Saarai, Script, and barney_fife

Someone had overheard the confrontation, a young blonde woman made her way through the crowds towards Aaron and the bikers.

"What's it to you, mind your own damn business, the Empires screwed us all." She said, putting herself between Aaron and the Bikers. "Screw off and leave the poor kid alone."

____

Michael pointed at Aaron, "Aschen like this worm almost killed my baby sister. Almost killed me. Almost killed all of us." Michael said loudly, "We weren't just screwed, lady. We were almost fucked sideways." The biker continued.

The other bikers who were initially seeking to calm Michael down decided it was best not to try. He was passionate, to say the least.

"I'll leave him alone when they leave us alone." Michael told the blonde.

____

"You know, speaking louder doesn't make you more convincing," Aaron retorted angrily, pausing to turn back as the girl stepped in the biker's way. "I don't know how many times I have to tell you I had nothing to do with any of this before you get it through your thick skull."

He shook his head, "It's not worth arguing," he said after a moment, directly mostly to the girl, "Let him keep believing what he wants to believe. I doubt anything will change his mind."

With that, he once again tried to walk away.

____

The woman offered a sneer as she stepped up to the large biker man. "I don't care what they did, this kid isn't responsible for what they did, so what he's an Aschen? He obviously doesn't look like he serves the Empire!" She said, reaching out and moving to grab Aaron to pull him close to her. Should she succeed she would shake her head, holding his face

"Does this look like the face of a killer?" She said, cupping his chin. "Lemme guess, heretic?" She asked, more particularly to Aaron. "I bet he's a Heretic anyway, so the Empire hates him as much as they hate you, this kid isn't your enemy, now piss off before I do something that'll have every cop up your ass." She said, letting Aaron go and clearing her throat, like she was getting ready to scream.

She then whispered into Aaron's ear. "Our kind got to stick together, the Empires not going to protect us." She said, attempting to slip a card into his pocket, an address to a rally for the New Caprica Workers Union."

____

"Heretic?" Mike asked, raising an eyebrow at the blonde woman. "Aschen speak like that. And you refer to them as the Empire as opposed to the Aschen like the rest of us do." He said to her.

Michael did complete high school, Aaron's earlier insult, and was a cunning man. His tattoos and leather vest only concealed his intelligence.

"You're an Aschen too." He said to the woman, "We got two in one place, ladies and gentlemen. And one of them is threatening me."

____

Aaron pulled back as the woman tried to grab his face to make her point, repressing a groan. The last thing he needed was someone confrontational to step in and escalate the situation. It took him a moment to recognise her, having been focused on Michael. When he did, his eyebrows rose. "Chloe M-?" he stopped himself, realising partially too late that identifying her in front of someone who was obviously going to cause problems was probably a bad idea. "I appreciate the offer, but I'd just like to try and carry on with my life..."

He looked up sharply at Michael, then. "Your powers of observation are unparalleled," he muttered, "Now are you quite finished? Nobody's threatening anyone here. We just want to walk away."

____

"Look, we don't want any trouble from you guys, we want to go on our way." She said, glaring at Michael. "We're no threat to you."

She kept her stance defensive, as people started to gather among the crowd. Whether it was fortunate or unfortunate, not everyone in the gathered crowd was an angry Terran, but the tension was rising.

"Now piss off and let us go home." She said, reaching into her purse, clenching a Defender Mk X concealable disrupt or pistol, the compact and easily concealed pistol was a last resort. But with the growing crowd the woman spotted an out, so she tried to grab Aaron by the hand to make a quick escape.

____

"Listen, lady. I want you to go home as much as you do. But, the spaceport is the other way." Michael said, making sure he moved to stand in a way that it was clear he wasn't planning to let them board anything that wasn't leaving the planet.

"Get the fuck outta here." He told them.

____

"I don't have the frakking time for this," Aaron snapped with an exaggerated roll of his eyes, tightening his grip on his case and stepping to wheel it around Michael, pointedly disregarding his obstruction.

____

Chloe too made an attempt to shove past Michael and his fellow cohorts. "I intend to do that." She quipped, obviously having no intention of boarding the Transports back to the Empire.

She kept her hand firmly grasped on her concealed weapon as she shoved by, and headed intently back towards New Caprica.

____

Michael was fueled by his love for his family and friends, which didn't exact mix well with the anger he felt towards the Aschen. He reached out to grab Aaron by the hair, intending to pull the young man harshly to make the ground.

"I said get the fuck out of here." Ugly Mike said to Aaron and Chloe. He was normally a calm man, but this was different for him.

____

Aaron was blindsided by Michael's lunge, his eyes widening for a split second before he was thrown to the ground with a pained cry. His suitcase toppled over as he lost his grip on it. The impact with the concrete grazed the side of his forehead, drawing blood.

"You asshole," he growled, reaching back to grab hold of Michael's arm and try and pull himself free. "Fucking let go!"

____

"Gods dammit!" Chloe shouted, as she whirled around to face Michael. "Let him go you frakking Savage!" She screamed, her body quickly entering into a shooter's stance, her weapon drawn from her purse. The type 10 disruptor pistol resembled more of a television remote, then a traditional handgun. As of the weapon cleared the purse, it was kept lowered, pointed towards the ground as it emanated and Audible high-pitched whine.

The woman stared at Michael, before she screamed. "Get off of him!" She screamed, and then screamed again. "Somebody help us!" She then screamed again, as the pitch increased in both frequency and volume. "Get off of him or I would shoot you!" She ordered again, slightly raising the weapon and stepping back.

____

"Hey, Mike!" One of the bikers shouted, drawing his pistol as the others did the same. They raised their weapons at Chloe, some pleading with Michael to calm him down. The others yelling at Chloe to put her weapon away and prevent things from getting worse than they had to be.

"Shut up." Michael said to Aaron as he struggled, reaching to grab his arm and left before he.could wrestle himself free.

"Go ahead. Shoot me, unarmed, in front of all these people over a little dispute. Show them what you are." Michael said to Chloe, "Jesus Christ, Mike, let the kid go." A biker said to Michael.

____

"Hey! Hey!" The yells of the two soldiers at the far end of the street reached Aaron's ears as they began to run over, though they were still some distance away, and there was a crowd between them and the disturbance.

"That's rich," Aaron hissed through the pain of his arm being twisted, "Since you're really showing everyone the goodness of your heart, aren't you?"

He managed to force a grin, laughing despite his position. "Go ahead. Make yourself feel better. But just remember-" he grunted with pain, hesitating for a moment but forcing his words to keep coming. "I've done nothing to you, aside from the crime of being born half the 'wrong' race."

____

Chloe shook her head slowly, but kept her eyes glued to Michael. her weapon was still lowered. "I'm not the one who decided he was going to pick on a kid half his size for no reason other than he happened to be born the wrong race."

"I'm Five-foot seven and a hundred and thirty pounds, half your size, by the gods that kid's probably smaller than I am. So yeah, I am going to shoot an unarmed man before he kills an innocent boy." She spat.

"Let him go, this doesn't have to end like this." She said, as an indicator light flashed green on her weapon, but she wasn't able to get a clear shot.

At this point all she needed to do was buy time until the soldiers got there, having heard their calls. She had done nothing illegal, and both of them were TNG Citizens.

"Come on, we can all walk away from this, or you can catch a murder charge in font of all these people.." The voices from others in the crowd followed.

"Let him go you savages!"

Chloe looked at the crowd, before she called out. "We sacrificed everything, our lives, our livelihoods, our families back on Langara to live in peace. We've come here to escape the horrors the Empire has wrought on it's own people!"

She stared at Michael. "We are a strong, stubborn people, and we can either co-exist in peace with you. Or we can rise up and take this city for ourselves!"

Many in the crowd started shouting, and jeering at the bikers. Michael and his friends were soon finding themselves surrounded by what they thought were Terrans, but were in fact angry ethnic Aschen. What was a simple dispute, was on the verge of turning into a full blown riot between Terrans and ethnic Aschen, as more and more ethnic Aschen filtered into the crowd.

Through the corner of her eyes, she could see the soldiers getting closer, working their way through the crowds, and she had prayed to the gods that they would arrive in time.

____

"Wrong race? Nah, don't pull that shit with me." He said to both Chloe and Aaron, more worried about the soldiers than the tensions rising in the crowd. "Your race massacred people. Friends of mine."

Michael wasn't leaving room for reason. He was justifiably pissed off. But, for a moment he thought about what he was doing. How wrong it was considering his own life. How much of an outsider he was treated back where he was from.

When Chloe mentioned taking the city, all of that doubt went away. It was just like the Aschen to want to subjugate others. At least that's what Michael heard.

"Anyone else hear that?" He asked, pushing Aaron away as he let him go. "A conflict with one guy and these motherfuckers want to take control of the city. They're the same, even they've lead themselves to believe otherwise."

He waved down the bikers with him, each of them slowly lowering their weapons.

"They don't want to co-exist. They want to control us. Or live without us. It's always the same story."

____

Aaron pulled himself to his feet as the bikers retreated, raising a hand to his face and staring around at the yelling. "Some of us just want to get on with our fucking lives..." he muttered, as the soldiers moved in.

"Enough!" one of them, a woman, yelled as she moved forwards, starting to clear away the gawping crowd. "Disperse immediately! There'll be no more fighting, your spectacle's over!"

The second, a gruff looking man of middle age stepped over to where Aaron, Chloe and the bikers were stood, having spotted the source of the confrontation. "Stand down, ladies, and move along," he barked.

____

Chloe kept her weapon lowered, despite having some of the bikers pointing their weapons at her.

"It's not about control, or removal, it's about coexisting in peace! If you can't do that, we will control you! We will remove you!" She screamed, and the surrounding Aschen began to shout in support.

"Get off of him and leave, go on!" She shouted.

It was then the TNG soldiers moved to break up the dispute, Chloe backed up, sliding her weapon back into her purse.

"We want peaceful coexistance!"

____

"Let's go." A biker said to Michael, pushing the man away as the others had already begun to leave. "Another time." He told Michael. Michael agreed that now wasn't the best time for getting arrested.

"Yeah, okay." Michael said, giving Aaron a look. He barely acknowledged Chloe, but from the slight glance he gave her indicated that she was far from forgotten. He was just being a dick.

____

The soldiers made no move to pursue Michael and the others, instead setting to ensuring the crowd dispersed. The gathered people, seeing that the show was over, largely complied. One of the two, a gruff middle aged man, made his way over to Aaron.

"You alright, son?" he asked with a frown.

"Just about," Aaron shrugged, "A few bruises. I'll survive."

The soldier nodded, "I can only apologise for not seeing what was happening sooner."

Aaron waved a dismissive hand, "I'm sure you've got more on your mind than a few punches being thrown. Now, I have a plane to catch." He paused to look over at Chloe, "Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. But I'll pass on the rally. I'm not built for that sort of thing."

as written by Tiko

Of all of Westeria City, Azure Heights maintained the highest concentration of activity within the city yet. A week had come and gone since the evacuation had been announced and while many of the residential regions had grown barren, many were stubbornly digging their heels in, unwilling to abandon their homes.

While the main streets were primarily conjested with vehicles making their way out of the city, Azure Height also served as a nexus point of rallies, as well as other more disreputable aspects of society such as vandalism and robbery. Despite the heavy military presence, the figurative center of the city was rapidly spiralling into anarchy.

Many who were remaining behind seized the opportunity to loot and rob whatever they needed, others took advantage of the withdrawing police presence to act without fear of repurcussion. Hate crimes were abound, and murders, muggings, and rapes were at a record high. It was perhaps a strange thing for roles to be reversed, but for the time being anyways, it was those of Aschen ethnicity who lived in fear. Aschen women being victimized, and Aschen men being found beaten - or worse. The anger and outrage that ran hot in the veins of many Terrans, found its release against those that shared blood with the Imperial Aschen.

The ethnic Aschen population within Azure Heights had rapidly diminished. Those that had opted against evacuating with the rest of the TNG were largely migrating their way to New Caprica where they had safety in numbers, and the unity being offered by Chloe McGregor.

as written by Sokka

A woman walked down, Hagan avenue following close to the buildings, this section of the street was dark, the power for this section of the street apparently lacking. However given the state of this area of town it was not surprising. Scars from the attack were still everywhere, overturned cars and shattered glass littered the street. A fire burned further down the street. Sandra kept her hand on the plasma pistol in her jacket pocket.

She was looking for something specific, soon she had arrived at her goal, a local pharmacy. As she approached the building she noticed the place appeared to have already been looted. Or had it? That's when she heard them two voices as she stepped over the broken glass. She stepped through the shop window however she stepped on a piece of glass cracking it as she took a few steps into the building. A flashlight was on illuminating the room.

Two men looked up. There were a couple of guns on the counter. A thuggish looking man stepped forward his head covered in tattoos. "Well well well what do we have here, looking for a fix sweetie?" The man said his eyes traveling over her up an down. Sandra took a small step backwards. "Don't be leaving too soon," he said "Yeah stick around we're going to have a bit of fun with ya then maybe we will give you some of the good stuff in here." One of them said as they stepped toward her moving away from the counter.

Sandra took another step back, however a third man close in from her side as he moved toward her he reached out. She saw the move out of the corner of her eye and as he attempted to grab her she stomped on his foot and elbowed him in the head as she drew the gun from her pocket she brought it to his head and pulled the trigger. The loudmouth moved or his shot gun as he turned she shot him twice in the chest and he collapsed. She leveled the pistol on the third man.

A smile appeared across her lips. "Should I kill you or let you live...I could kill you but...then I'd have to carry all this stuff by myself...." She took a step closer toward the man the pistol still leveled on him she reached to the counter and turned the flashlight off. "Sloppy. She said pulling out a smaller light and tossing it at the man it hit him in the chest and fell to the ground.

"Pick that up and start bringing me medicines, You could kill me but... I get the sense you want to last a bit in this town right? Do what I say and you will make it in this wasteland kill me you will end up like these two fools within a week." She said before lowering the pistol to pick take another penlight from her pocket she picked up a vial and shone the light on it then tossed the vial aside.

The man paused as if thinking before picking up the light walked over to the counter he placed a hand on the shot gun. He looked at the woman, he could shoot her but, she seemed to actually know what she was doing here. She seemed to have a plan the others just wanted a drug fix that's what they were here for. He slung the gun over his shoulder before going to work looking over the vials and other medicines.

as written by Script

The dim glow of a dozen different monitors illuminated the otherwise dingy office room, set three storeys above street level on the edge of Azure Heights. No light shone through the window, the sun blocked out by the thick canopy of a massive tree that rose out of the ground a block down the road, having wiped out all the surrounding buildings with its rapid growth and wide roots.

The monitors displayed a variety of images. Three of them showed only static, whatever video feed they'd been playing having been disrupted or taken out by the violence and anomalies. Another half dozen displayed various security feeds from the surrounding area - from private CCTV, and traffic and ATM cameras. Three of the remaining four showed the area immediately outside the apartment building from the perspective of the three small drones that were hovering in front of it.

Kaiden's eyes were fixed on the last screen, on which he was surfing the web, looking over news websites and occasionally flicking back to chatrooms or update feeds on social media sites. There was a notable absence of any tapping of keys, or clicking of a mouse. Instead, a faint line of blue energy trailed from the computer tower to his body, and his eyes glowed softly with the same cyan luminosity.

Aside from the hum of computer fans, the only sound in the room was the faint tapping of buttons coming from behind him. Kaiden brushed a stray strand of pure white hair out of his face, twitching slightly.

"I still can't believe you're just playing games right now."

The other boy in the room looked up from the handheld console he was holding, raising an eyebrow. After a moment's pause, he plucked the headphones he was wearing - a bright red, to match his bubblegum pink hair - from his ears and let them dangle down.

"Huh?"

"I said I can't believe you're playing games right now." Kaiden repeated with a roll of his eyes.

"I heard you. I just don't know what you mean. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know, because the world's imploding around us? People are shooting each other in the street? A bunch of giant trees have blocked out the sun over half the city?"

Aiyo blinked, then slowly shrugged his shoulders. "I mean, I guess that's all pretty bad... but that doesn't mean I gotta just sit around and look serious. That won't solve anything. I already did a snack run... what else is there to do?"

Kaiden groaned, running a hand through his hair. "Do you take anything seriously?"

"If there's nothing more useful to be doing, I might as well just keep doing what I want to do, right?" Aiyo shrugged and grinned, "You worry too much, Kai-kun."

"Don't call me that, you weeaboo ass."

"Kai-senpai? Senkai?"

"Troll."

"Baka."

"Argh!" Kaiden smacked his hand into his face, but was betrayed by a snort of laughter shortly afterwards.

"I heard that laugh! That means I win, right?" Aiyo smirked.

Kaiden kicked his chair back on its wheels away from the computer, letting his link to it fade as he spun around to face the other boy with a huff. "Whatever. I should've just left you wandering around outside, saved myself the trouble of putting up with your shit."

"If I leave, you'll miss our top bants, Kai-kun."

"Yeah, yeah," Kaiden waved a hand dismissively, "We're gonna need to go scouting for more food before too long. Can't live off of chocolate bars forever, much to my dismay."

"Huh... I wonder if I can starve to death..." Aiyo mused, pausing in his gameplay to stare thoughtfully into space for a few moments. "Never tried that before."

"... okay, well, I definitely can't live off of chocolate bars forever." Kaiden rolled his eyes for a second time. "And I don't think the pizza places are delivering anymore. So, shop run at some point. If we can't find anything nearby that's not been looted, I'll scout further away."

"Kay." There was a lengthy pause, before Aiyo spoke again. "So why haven't you left?"

"Huh?"

"You keep complaining about everything that's happening. But you've not packed up to ship out to safety. What gives?"

Kaiden frowned. "Chaos suits me just fine. I can leave whenever I want, so I'm sticking around till I feel like it's time to go."

"Sooo... you just like whining, then?" Aiyo inquired with a faux-innocent grin. He ducked the can that Kaiden tossed at him in response, giggling to himself childishly. "I'm kidding, yo."

"Next time I'm cutting off your wifi," Kaiden grumbled.

Aiyo's eyes widened melodramatically, "You monster! You wouldn't dare!"

"I literally am your internet connection right now," Kaiden warned, jabbing a finger in Aiyo's direction. "So you can put up with my goddamned whining, and stop trolling me."

"Aw," Aiyo stuck out his tongue, "But you're cute when you're mad, Kai-kun."

"Don't call me-" Kaiden stopped short, blinking. "Wait, what?"

"Hmmm?"

A hint of red crept onto Kaiden's cheeks and he spun around in his chair back to face the computer. "Nevermind! Whatever! I give up. Go back to your stupid game."

As Kaiden linked back up to the computer, muttering under his breath, Aiyo laughed. "Implying I ever stopped playing it. Have fun, Kai-kun~"

"Stop calling me that!"

as written by Script

This particular street in Azure Heights had once been a hub of activity, playing host to a thriving street market of food vendors, little indie clothes-stalls and all manner of tatty, hipstery miscellania. Now it was all-but abandoned. Many of the stalls still lined the street, but they were long-since looted (except in the case of some particularly worthless trinkets, and one exceedingly ugly jumper). The occasional piece of discarded trash drifted like tumbleweeds across the road.

Amongst this ghost town of signs proclaiming to be selling 'gourmet mac'n'cheese', 'vegan, gluten free curry', or 'quirky' beverages like bubble tea and vegetable smoothies, a single figure meandered aimlessly. Aiyo's bubblegum pink hair would have stuck out like a sore thumb even in a crowd, and as it was, it just made him stand out all the more on the deserted street.

A pair of over-ear headphones were perched atop his head, plugged into a handheld console that his eyes were fixed on as he walked carelessly along the road, paying no attention to his surroundings. Battle music from the game blared in his ears, shutting out the world. It wasn't like anyone was still using the roads around here...

...right?

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by glmstr

Unfortunately, there was someone on the road. Four someones, to be exact, with a Hykan at the wheel of a scrappy van, the latter of which didn't understand the concepts known as "turning" and "braking".

"Uh, Riley, is that a person? HOLY SHIT ITS A PERSON!" Erika smashed her hand into the horn on the steering wheel, but the boy's noise cancelling headphones seemed to keep him oblivious. She tried to steer out of the way, but there was clutter and potholes on the road that would have rolled the SUV if she turned too hard. It was no use, they were barreling down the street at around 80 miles per hour and they couldn't get out of the way.

Erika slammed on the brakes and the car screeched to slow down as much as it could, to at least attempt to not liquefy the poor kid.

as written by Azrican, Script, and glmstr

Riley was, fruitlessly, stamping his own foot against the floor of the car in some vain attempt that it might help the vehicle stop at a proper distance without sending them careening off the road. While one hand gripped at the magnum strapped to his leg, the other fruitlessly reached for the hand grip at the top of the passenger side door, aptly named "Oh Shit Handles" for just this sort of situation. "Pulse the brakes Horakova, pulse -- pulse the fucking brakes!"

"What the fuck is happening up there?!" Hawke shouted out shortly until a deep thunk emanated from the back cargo compartment, a loud grunt following as the brakes screeched and the whole vehicle shuddered. Charles, though particularly well off than the other occupants perhaps due to his structure, was none the less propping one metallic leg against the passenger seat and two hands gripping at the flat, sheet metal ceiling of the van.

“I hate to see how you drive when people are shooting at you!”

____

Aiyo registered the roar of the engine and the honking of the horn far too late. He looked up with a startled expression, just in time to stare straight at the oncoming vehicle for all of half a second before it slammed into him, dragging him beneath the wheels with a horrendous thud and rattle.

As the van rolled on, the boy lay twisted at an unpleasant angle in the road. Oddly, there didn't appear to be any blood.

"Oww..." he groaned to himself, staring up at the sky. Fuck, that had hurt. His whole body was screaming at him but, as ever, he was unharmed despite the pain. He lolled his head to the side to stare after the slowing van accusingly from the ground. Moving more than that could wait until it would be at least a little less painful.

____

The SUV managed to screech to a halt about 20 or so feet after flattening Aiyo, and the driver seemed to burst out through the side door nearly instantly once the vehicle stopped. She ran towards the crumpled and broken corpse, but the body seemed very clearly alive. She froze in her tracks and unslung her shotgun on instinct, and called back to the van.

"Riley! I.. I don't think he's dead. Should I just put him out of his misery?" She punctuated that question with a pump of her shotgun.

____

The rattling vehicle finally came to a stop, Riley letting out a short curse as the First Sergeant burst from the driver's side. He shook some of the adrenaline from his head before opening the door with a creak, nearly spilling out of the car with his rifle in one hand. In the back, Hawke and Charles tentatively tried to rearrange themselves after the car finally lurched to a stop.

"Uuuugh shit ... I think I booped my betty." Hawke said quietly, having to untangle himself from a cargo net in the back of the van. He huffed, disengaging the MMG pod from his left arm and leaving it to clang against the metal floor of the vehicle. "Jesus she's a worse driver than my sister ... the armless one."

Charles was a little too concerned to respond to the joke, instead pulling the side door of the van open and looking over to Riley and the First Sergeant. "Is it dead?"

Riley brought up the rear quickly, holding out a hand as the First Sergeant racked the shotgun. "Hold it up there -- if he was human he'd have been a god damn blood streak." He said, cautiously holding his rifle at the ready as he eyed the young man with a curious brow. "She's not a very good driver, kid ... guess you kinda' found that out the hard way." He said for one moment, kneeling down once and putting a hand onto the young man's neck.

"Yup ... definitely not your average Terran, Horakova get the medkit."

____

"Uh, wat? Could you like, not?" Aiyo stared up at Erika incredulously. "As if it weren't enough you hit me with a van, you wanna shoot me now? That's just harsh."

With a groan, he sat upright, rolling his shoulders experimentally and stretching. "I'm fine. I mean, aside from the pain. That's not great, but, I'll live." He drew his eyes over each of them in turn, taking in their armament and attire. Whilst their gear wasn't anything he'd seen before... Aiyo wasn't exactly familiar with weaponry. A gun was a gun, right?

"You guys military? I thought you all fucked off already."

____

"... Riley, what the fuck is wrong with this planet?" Erika shrugged and slung the gun over her shoulder again when the kid, who should have been little more than a stain on the concrete right now, started actually speaking again.

"Er, we're... uh..." Horakova glanced in either direction and then looked to Riley, keeping an awkward smile but her eyes clearly pleading him to take over the explanation.

____

"Picked it up off some corpses, just out and about for a night on the town." Riley said sharply as he slung his own weapon over his shoulder, studying the youth for a moment. He digested the young man's inquiry about the former defense forces that should have been in an around the city, after their short encounters with the TAF it became clear their situation had rendered them particularly ineffective. "Not military, just some chucklefucks with guns. You alright to stand, or you want something for the pain?"

Riley gave a curt wave to the First Sergeant, ushering her to check on the car and see if it was still operable, as Charles disembarked from the vehicle carrying a large piece of kit in one dusty, battered hand. The automaton scanned left and right as he approached at a soft stride, keeping his rifle across his back. "Well, this is honestly the first time I've watched a man get up after a little incident like this."

"Yeah either someone's got a god watching over them or," Riley began, shrugging off whatever else he could have possibly said until giving the kid and sympathetic nod and stepping up from his knee. "I'm Steel Patron, name's a funny thing from over the puddle. The bucket is Charles ... Miss Hit and Run over there is Kladivo. Smackin' a kid at sixty miles an hour wasn't really on the plan today."

____

"I'm aight, I've walked away from worse." Aiyo grinned, pushing himself to his feet. "You're uh, awfully geared up for a night out... and it's awfully daytimeish for that matter." He shrugged his shoulders, deciding it wasn't worth pushing the issue. It didn't make much difference to him why these guys were parading around with heavy weaponry. "But hey, whatever floats your boat."

He brushed himself down, frowning at the tire-marks on his shirt. "I'm Aiyo," he answered as he did. "And uh, if you're trying to keep a low profile," he nodded towards Erika. "Maybe don't say stuff like 'this planet'? Or, y'know, run people over. But I figure that's a given."

____

"We're, uh, reenactors," Erika gave a toothy grin, not even trying to pretend that such a thing is true. Instead, she whipped out a metal canteen and drank some water from it. After quickly replacing it on her belt and lazily kicking a rock at her feet, she finally spoke up again.

"So Aiyo, what in the hell are you doing here? Here as in 'walking on the road' and as in 'still in Westeria'?"

____

Charles held the medkit with two hands, lazily offering it forward until Riley put a hand on the automaton's outstretched arms. "Doesn't look like we'll need it big guy, I'll be damned if I know how he managed to get up from that though." He said calmly, looking to the young man as Erika's question came: it was an answer he might like to hear as well. The concept of remaining in the city seemed a little alien to him, and at best asking for trouble. Not too much unlike the "accident" they'd just had.

"Place looks a little worse for wear if I say so myself ... that and the whole, ominous hole in the sky." He said, letting the rifle hang from his chest and resting his hands on the receiver and stock. He gave a quick nod back to the automaton, who placed the medkit under one arm and then turned back around to the car. "Place looks like it's gotten a little ... overgrown too."

____

"Eh," Aiyo shrugged. "I don't really have anywhere else to go, 'side from a refugee camp somewhere. And that's kinda lame. I'll probably move on sometime, but right now, this is as good a place as any to kill time while I figure out what I'm doing with my life."

He paused. "I mean, aside from the obvious terrible terrible things. But they aren't really a problem for me. 'least not so far."

____

"Well, do you want to come with us for now?" Erika shrugged and looked back at the van, seeing potential room to fit someone as small as Aiyo in with the rest of the team. At the very least, they wouldn't have to worry about him getting hurt.

"What do you think Patron, can we keep him?"

____

"Least we could do is give the young man a ride -- preferably inside the car, of course." He said, nodding calmly and hitching a thumb back to the vehicle as the automaton yanked open the side door and hauled himself back into the decrepit vehicle. "Besides, we could use a tour guide if you're so inclined as well. Maybe you'll keep Kladivo from smackin' over someone less ... normal than you." He said as he gave Erika a curt motion back to the vehicle and fetched a pack of cigarettes out from his vest.

"If gettin' ran over's the worst that happened to you I'd consider myself pretty damn lucky considering the state of things. Whole damn city looks like it's a walking freak show, no offense kid." He said, striding towards the passenger side of the vehicle and making a twirling motion with his hands to signify they would be moving on post haste. "You'll have to sit with the tin-can and chuckles in the back ... don't mind the jokes from the ugly guy, that'll just encourage him."

____

Aiyo tilted his head in thought for a few moments, before shrugging. "Eh, sure. Not like I've got anything better to do, right?"

His eyes drifted pointedly to the wreck of his handheld in the street.

"Not anymore, anyway. Guess I'll have to find out if all the game stores have already been looted..." He shrugged, smiling airily. "Fair warning, my tour-guide knowledge is prooobably a little outdated, since all of..." he paused to gesture vaguely towards the giant hole in the sky "...that shit happened. Wouldn't be surprised if half the city is a different city to the one it was yesterday."

Another grin, and a shrug of his shoulders as he followed the group back to the vehicle that now probably had a vaguely Aiyo-shaped dent in its front end. "But hey, what doesn't kill you, right? And in my experience, nothing kills me. I guess that's true of anyone, but... less liberally?"

____

"You still know more than we do," Erika shrugged and started back towards the vehicle. The Hykan briefly inspected the front, hoping the sizeable dent didn't ruin the engine. Only one way to find out, really. Horakova sighed and climbed back into the van, beckoning for Riley and Aiyo to do the same. A quick turn of the key and the SUV roared (more accurately "sputtered and coughed") to life again.

____

"Charles, Sparks, meet Aiyo ... kid's fine after the First Sergeant's little strike out." Riley said, settling into the passenger seat and talking through the cigarette stuck between his lips as he fumbled through the glove compartment for a book of matches. "We'll be chaperoning the young man so he doesn't end up in any worse state. If getting hit with a two-ton van's the least of his worries I hate to see what else we might be dealing with in this damn city." He finished, sparking a match and drawing down the window as he gave Horakova the signal to carry on.

"An abhuman it appears. Haven't seen many of you about so much." The automaton said, blocky head scanning the youth up and down. The sight of a humanoid robot adorned in military jacket and pants not seeming to be the most out of place thing on the planet. Then, from the back, a greener voice chimed in as a gruffly face appeared over the back of the seat.

"You're not the weirdest looking one anymore Tin-Man. Look at that hair, holy shit. If Kladivo hit you how the fuck is she the squad marksman."

____

"You haven't?" Aiyo raised an eyebrow at the robotic man's comment, apparently entirely unphased by his mechanical nature. "Ho boy, you guys are in for a treat then. Can't go more than a few blocks 'round here without running into someone, or something, superhuman."

He settled back in his seat with a grin. "So, what all can I tell you 'bout what's going on..? Well, the most obvious thing is the big hole in the sky. A bunch of mages from the academy out to the east showed up a few weeks back and did something to stop it getting any bigger, and since then it's just sorta sat there. Nothing's come out, 'far as I know. Nothing obvious, anyway."

As they pulled off, he sat forwards. "Uh, you'll want to avoid taking the left at the end of the road. Gravity goes sideways for about a block there."

____

"I would look at the hole, but I should probably keep an eye on the road," Erika lazily pulled at the wheel to weave around various potholes and piles of rubble in the street. "Abhumans everywhere? Wow, this place is nuts," the First Sergeant listened to Aiyo's directions and avoided the perilous turn. She simply continued to drive in a straight line, albeit much slower than before.

She opened her mouth to speak again, but stopped herself and kept focusing on the road. Maybe this time they wouldn't hit somebody.

____

"Sounds like something in the water then." Hawke replied from the back of the van, clicking at a lighter as he puffed at a cigarette between his lips. One foot tapped out a slow beat on the wall of the van, before he shifted quietly trying to get a clearer view out of the back. "The fuck ... "

"Or perhaps something along the lines of a genetic divergence ... I saw it in the Skies before," Charles replied curiously, one hand trying to display the human concept of interest as he drew a few fingers up to his sharp and metallic head. "I would have thought to see more genesiological breakdowns with abilities like yours however. Someone must have had a strong gene indeed."

"Don't get Bill Nye on the kid, Charles. Something tells me we'll need to -- wait a second." Riley said, reaching out to the side view mirror after something flashed and disappeared out of the tiny mirror. He yanked the small mirror up and down a few more times, before finally sticking his torso out the passenger window as the soft howl of scram jets could be heard approaching from behind. "Oh shit, Hawke you fucking see this?"

"Yeah I was hoping I didn't, looks like we've got some company!" Hawke screamed, sliding further down onto his back until he sent one foot crashing into the rear window. It popped and shattered with a crunch, the entire pane being ripped from the mounting. Meanwhile, Riley took a sharp breath and threw his cigarette out the window as he gripped at the handguard of his rifle.

"Sonuvabitch -- First Sergeant, drive. Forget about pedestrians. Fucking drive, now. Kid, you know where there's a parking garage or something? Tunnel, subway? Highway overpass?"

____

"Whoa!" Aiyo turned around in his seat to stare back at the jets. "How come you guys are being chased by freakin' jet planes? Who even are they?!"

Despite the danger, the teen had a goofy grin plastered across his face. Was he... enjoying this?

"Oh, uh-" he glanced over his shoulder at the road ahead upon hearing Riley's question. "There's a mall a couple blocks ahead if you take the next right. Has an enclosed parking lot next to it. Or I guess if you wanna take the direct option, it has glass doors."

____

"Commander, was that the fucking Supremacy?!" Erika whipped her head to the side to catch a brief glimpse of the aircraft, then floored the gas pedal. The strained roar of the SUV quickly drowned out any trace of aircraft engine for the car's occupants. "Why are they here?!" she shouted over the engine and heaved at the steering wheel, taking the corner at a speed that would have liquefied any pedestrians on the sidewalk, if there were any to begin with. The mall Aiyo mentioned was starting to come into view for the Hykan, and she did not let off of the accelerator. She aimed the vehicle for the front door, Darkbow didn't have time to go around and look for covered parking.

"Hold on!" Erika held the steering wheel firm as the van first drove over the curb in front of the mall's entrance, and then held one arm across her face for the next step, the front doors. A vehicle of that weight and that speed tore through the glass and metal entrance as if a plaything, but that wasn't the risk of such a maneuver. Thousands of shards of broken glass from the former entrance rained on the SUV, but the windshield seemed to hold, at least for now. Horakova gripped the wheel again with both hands and brought the car to a skidding and screeching halt near a large intersection of the mall's halls. At the very least, there was no skylight nearby.

The First Sergeant looked back towards her passengers when she finally came to a stop,
"Everyone still alive?"

____

"They must've stepped up the timetable for landing operations -- they've probably got every drop-lane from here to L4 mapped and under guard now. Jack shit'll be getting off this planet anytime soon." Riley said, holding tightly onto the passenger door as the van jumped the curb and then plowed through the aluminum and glass doors of the structure. He quickly covered his face as well, glass sparkling across the two occupants in the front. Charles in the back turned his body sideways, shielding the precious equipment on the floor of the vehicle. As the tires screeched to a halt, the whole van shifted and grumbled as the First Sergeant managed to speak.

"Better than staying out on those damn streets." Riley said, hoisting his AR-91 by the strap and then promptly kicking the door open with a grunt. He rolled out from the passenger seat, nearly dropping to his knees but able to right himself with one hand on the scratched paint. He slammed the door shut, though quickly discovered in the proceeding events it had been dented rather heavily as to keep the door from closing properly. "Looks like the ride is over though, the sensors on those things can pick up a rifle from four thousand feet." He remarked, hauling open the side door of the vehicle and ensuring Charles or the others hadn't met an unfortunate end.

"Sorry about the joy ride again ... you know of any underground network or something? Tunnels, subway systems?"

____

"There's a subway," Aiyo answered as he half hopped, half staggered out of the van. The bumpy ride (to put it mildly) had left him momentarily disoriented, though he still sported a stupid grin. He took a moment to brush a few stray shards of glass from his hair before he went on.

"Nearest station is at the end of the street on the far side of the mall, I think. I'd be careful going down there, though. With how much weird shit has taken residence on the surface? Fuck only knows what's lurking down in the spooky abandoned tunnels. Some horror movie tier bull, no doubt."

He turned to stare out the door, listening to the fading sound of jet engines. "Supremacy, huh? Don't suppose I get to be clued in on who they are, and why they were shooting at you guys, do I?"

____

"Alright, let's go then," Erika scooped up her bags and slung her long weapons over her shoulder. "I'm pretty confident that whatever's in those tunnels is less scary than those aircraft we were running from." An odd sense of nostalgia came from this sort of scenario, hiding in tunnels from military aircraft served to remind the Hykan of the conflict back home that got her into the Exogarden in the first place.

"I'll let Patron give details about the Supremacy, but either way we should get moving," Horakova gestured towards the direction of the subway with her head and started walking.

Back