What was your first role-playing experience?

Embarrassing or amazing.
Short or long.
Share your story about your first role-playing experience and how that led you to a mini career of role-playing.

We won't judge your stories!
:D

I used to basically live in the wilderness of West Virginia, USA. Me and my three cousins would play in the woods and pretend to be fantastical heros and even villains. There were plenty of nature made structures and even, possibly dangerous, wild animals. I specifically remember we pretend to be settlers in unknown territory. We carved steps into the side of a huge hill and made a small shack where we put our video games (at the time, the original mario brothers), and at one point hung up a rope to swing from. Those were some of the best times of my life, being a silly little kid larping with my closest relatives. Afterwards I roleplayed on some roleplay forums as I got older, and had plenty of D&D sessions- one having to do with building an Icecream empire with a teifling and an ice fairy. It, of course, wa sus just messing with the GM the whole time but it was really fun. Because they didnt want to do any of the adventuring- unless there was gonna be cold hard cash for their icecream sales. Also, you dont need a board game to play D&D- a lot of games let you just play tabletop- but there is this amazing site called 'ROLL20' and it comes with table top mechanics to play. I enjoy the site a lot but talking and roleplaying like that with strangers always scared me a little.

I guess I was just a strange kid. I loved to write stories- still do- but I was more than content to write out what I wanted to happen, then act it out in my room when I was by myself. I guess that's more of a live action roleplay, but I guess that's where it started. However, when I was acting it out, I changed some of it to be more natural, so then when I was done with the scene, I would edit the story a bit. I didn't start rping with other people until I really got interested in computers because well, the internet. I think most would count that as my first experience though.

I was first introduced to roleplaying when I was about 12 on the game site called Pogo. Learned about it there and have been hooked ever since.

My first roleplaying experiance was when I was at the end of my 8th grade year summer and was getting ready to go into my first year of high-school. One of older friends had been drawing fan art of this otome game that we both liked. We used to talk about it often until one day she had made a story about it, using our own made up characters. It was very interesting and got me into writing and watch myself develope into it. It also got me into loving anime a bit more as well ^^ haha.

My first roleplaying experience was on a chat site called habbo hotel, and I was in a few Harry Potter Roleplays, I have done everything from Student, Teacher, and Ministry, I really enjoyed it. I have also done romance of the three kingdoms roleplay.

(Awesome Romance of the Three Kingdoms. 3 Kingdom Era in China right?)

My first roleplaying site was started by a friend. It was mainly their communication with long distance family and relatives. I got introduced to a bunch of crazy kids and we all started to role play together. Started with what was supposed to be sci-fi but, it was pretty pathetic. Still a fond memory and here I am role playing almost 10 years later.

I actually *nervous sweating* haven't ever roleplayed officially before. I mean, sure, I've done child hood games of make believe and such, but nothing with a large group of people or an actual game aspect, which sounds super fun I might add!

My first roleplaying experience has to be the good ole' days of FanFiction. Lots of fan forums had RP threads. After stomping around there for a good long while, I migrated over to roleplay websites. Haven't stopped since :]!
me too! The last time I rp'd anywhere was on fanfiction.com like 6 years ago and i just stumbled across this site and an interesting thread and thought id give it a go? prob a bad idea with a new semester around the corner but when have i ever made good decisions

As with most things... A love of science fiction shared by friends. Began role playing over MSN Messenger before I knew about forums. Fandoms mostly. It then progressed into Forum RP and more recently Warcraft. Those MSN chats were a good while back. Almost 8-9 years, if not longer.

Gah, cx my original form was ERP when i was VERY young, and then i realized RolePlay wasn't just for the smut xp and i could legitimately use my creativity to make emotional bonds with others

I started RPing about 8 years ago on gaiaonline in the RP guilds! I became very active and a member of many RP guilds. The guilds where just different rp forums, it was really fun i enjoyed it a lot they had a diverse category of RPs' from anime RPs to fantasy and scifi i think i have probably been a part of 30+ RP forums on gaiaonline until the site lost activity and now the RP forums are dead there it is awful :eek::oops:. I have not RPed for a few years but i am ready to get back into it.

My dad played D&D with his friend all the time, and I always wondered what game involved little plastic miniatures running around a field of crudely drawn things on whiteboard and a sea of dice, so one day I asked him if I could join. He said sure, and they rolled up a decent Half-Orc Barbarian for me. My dad really talked my character up, saying I would be able to chop anything we came across into tiny little pieces. Filled with false security, I charged head long into the dungeon. I activated a pit trap that was almost 30 ft. deep, so I fell down and came to an inch of my life. Standing up, I turned to see a small corridor where a playful rust monster sat waiting for me. In the end, I became a pile of bones sitting in rusted armor. Not a fun time, but I stuck with the game cause I wanted to have a character that never died. Still haven't accomplished that to this day, but that doesn't stop me from trying xD

Years ago, face to face RP. We quickly ditched the D&D sourcebook and got creative on our own. But before we ditched it, my very first character was a lawful neutral cleric named Awghnaugh. Pronounced Oh NO! I still have the pewter figurine for the character.

.... man that is way back to being like 9 years old :eek::eek: you mentioning it reminded me i was part of a few RP guilds in there as a child so i suppose i have been RPing even before Gaia, so closer to 14 yearso_O

Haha, I'm glad I could unlock those memories for you. Even today I cringe at my awful cliches and short one liners surrounded by **, but alas, I was young and foolish. Everyone must start somewhere.

Haha, I'm glad I could unlock those memories for you. Even today I cringe at my awful cliches and short one liners surrounded by **, but alas, I was young and foolish. Everyone must start somewhere.
Lets not get into details from those days :rolleyes: haha, i am glad i got into it though, i think it has made me very artistic and creative!

Lets not get into details from those days :rolleyes: haha, i am glad i got into it though, i think it has made me very artistic and creative!

Finding roleplay early, I feel, definitely brings out a creative interest in people. Whether it leads to bigger things, or just a life of sharing stories with people, I think it makes things more interesting. At least, it has for me.

Finding roleplay early, I feel, definitely brings out a creative interest in people. Whether it leads to bigger things, or just a life of sharing stories with people, I think it makes things more interesting. At least, it has for me.
I agree, Rping feels like a creative writing class, it really opens up my mind. I feel it gives me an opportunity to experience the act of putting myself in others shoes when i create multiple RPCs that are all different.
Ame Damnee is a RP i just joined, you should check it out! :eek: Ame Damnee

My first experience on role playing wasn't in a forum, in a class or passing notes with another person, it was thanks in turn to Blockland, a multiplayer Lego game. You can build just about anything you want out of Lego bricks, from simple structures to entire worlds, and each server has its own different set of rules and add-ons, from your standard free-build to death-matches akin to Halo and Call of Duty. There was this one server which had a snowy post zombie apocalyptic world, fit to be explored by a character which you role played as. There was the standard role playing fare, you'd go around and interact with other people in character, but there were also factions to join and there were even raids you could partake in and zombie characters you could fight while you were not role playing. Even though the world was made out of plastic bricks, I was totally immersed by it and the denizens who were a part of it, and that's what first got me interested in the role playing experience.

Back